Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
For Berlin they could try Spandau and Britz, both still inside city limits but I think at least somewhat suburby. I'm not 100% sure but some of my relatives were talking about buying a house in Spandau and there was a house available in the 100k ballpark. The downside is that Spandau stands the risk of kinda becoming a lovely suburb/district to live in, but I think Hakenfelde, the northern part, is still kinda pretty, lots of forest around but not as exclusive residents as Grunewald. Also once the Schönefeld airport opens (when that is nobody knows) Tegel will close and prices in Spandau could rise because there's no noise pollution anymore, so now would be a good idea to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

elbkaida posted:

What's the problem with former DDR? I'd say with that budget you could only get something decent in a less wealthy part of Germany, e.g. not the south and not in a big city (10-20km outside might be doable).

Not even in a village. I live in a village with 4000 people and my 120 m² flat was 105k.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Dj Vulvio posted:

My family is planning to buy a house in Germany in order to move there permanently. We all are EU citizens and crave to live in a country where everything works. My parents are retired and will be able to afford several decades of pensions and bank savings.

The budget is around 130k euros for an einfamilienhaus, somewhere in the suburbs of a large city that is not either former DDR or with 60% Turkish population (sorry I have close minded parents).

We also know some of the hidden gems of living in Germany as residents (the mandatory healf insurance tax), is there anything else we should know?

Actually I happen to know a place that a friend of mine owns that might work. He had told me a couple years ago that he wants to sell it - he lives in the US and owns the house by inheritance. I haven't talked to him recently about the topic of selling the house, although I suspect he would be open to reasonable offers.

The house is about 25km from Aschaffenburg (or 60 km from Frankfurt) in a nice little forest village. It does need a lot of work, although it is habitable. PM me if you have any interest and I can get you in touch with my friend.

EDIT oops didnt see the einfamilienhaus part. It is a decent size but attached to the neighbor's house, a quiet 70+ year old couple and the wifes mom.

eviljelly fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 12, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When we were in Berlin we stayed with a family near Schischauweg Station in Berlin (I don't know the name of the actual suburb, sorry) which used to be part of the DDR since it was outside the wall. It was basically the nicest suburby neighborhood I have ever seen. My husband and I even looked at prices for places there, it looked like around 300-400k for a house (with my crappy German, I'm not actually sure), which doesn't surprise me, but holy crap can people miss out on really awesome things by having terrible opinions like "all of east Germany sucks".

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Yea, by now the fault line is more Rural/Urban than East/West. You'd be surprised how important cars are when you live in the rear end end of Germany, despite the country's size. Forget about public transport or trains.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

I'm going to be in Frankfurt on Wednesday for only 1 day, 13 hour layover, and I figured I would explore the city some. Any particular recommendations of what to check out? I'm going to wander around a bit and check out some of the older buildings and whatnot, but other than that, no real plans. As a total beer snob, any local brews or bars I should check out? Must try food? I've never been to Germany, if that makes any difference.

There's not many old buildings in Frankfurt really, it's the only German city with skyscrapers. There's some old buildings at Römerplatz in the city centre, and you can go to the observation deck at the top of Maintower and get a good view. If you cross the Main there's a lot of museums around Sachsenhausen and you can try the local drink Ebbelwoi/Apfelwein there, it's a kind of cider. There's also the Fressgasse (Grosse Bockenheimer Str) off of the Zeil, the main shopping street, where you can eat but I don't know where to recommend there.

bavarian
Jun 30, 2007

HookShot posted:

When we were in Berlin we stayed with a family near Schischauweg Station in Berlin (I don't know the name of the actual suburb, sorry) which used to be part of the DDR since it was outside the wall. It was basically the nicest suburby neighborhood I have ever seen. My husband and I even looked at prices for places there, it looked like around 300-400k for a house (with my crappy German, I'm not actually sure), which doesn't surprise me, but holy crap can people miss out on really awesome things by having terrible opinions like "all of east Germany sucks".
That's Lichtenrade, southernmost part of old West-Berlin, and nice indeed. Mind you, though, that once the new airport opens (whenever that is), some of the proposed flight paths pass Lichtenrade, which might explain relatively low prices for houses.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

bavarian posted:

That's Lichtenrade, southernmost part of old West-Berlin, and nice indeed. Mind you, though, that once the new airport opens (whenever that is), some of the proposed flight paths pass Lichtenrade, which might explain relatively low prices for houses.
Oh ok, cool, thanks for that info! I wondered if we got the prices right because honestly 300-400k in that area seemed to be incredibly cheap to me. I guess being over a proposed flight path will do that though.

I didn't realize it was part of West Berlin, we looked on a map and thought it was on the eastern part, oops!

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

bavarian posted:

Mind you, though, that once the new airport opens (whenever that is), some of the proposed flight paths pass Lichtenrade, which might explain relatively low prices for houses.
Saw this thing again this morning when taking off from Schönefeld at around 7:30 AM, all lit up looking like it was already in use. Well, maybe in 2015.

But, yeah, Lichtenrade is really nice if you're looking for a suburban kind of lifestyle. A car is basically a must, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I want to study abroad in Germany next spring. My university has a program with Bamberg, but I've got a complication. I have a fiancee, don't want to spend 6 months on a different continent from her, and I'm not sure how or if I could get a visa for her to come along as well. Does anyone know about getting visas to stay in Germany? Sorry if this isn't the right thread, I didn't see any thread for visa questions.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Where are you from? If you're canadian there's a one year youth mobility agreement that is very simple to get. If you're American I think it might be more complicated but I really have no idea.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
If she has some savings in the bank and/or if she can prove parental support, she shouldn't have any problem getting a language-learning visa which would allow her to learn German for a year.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Mulatto Butts posted:

Where are you from? If you're canadian there's a one year youth mobility agreement that is very simple to get. If you're American I think it might be more complicated but I really have no idea.
I am American, I didn't think of there being differences.

Is the savings in the bank thing to make sure she can afford to get out once she gets there? Since college here is so expensive, a lot of the costs including plane tickets will be covered by my normal student loans, since I'll still be enrolled at and getting credits at my university.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Fun thread, I read the first ten pages and the last ten pages. Finally the German thread, cross posting:

Hi Goons, China goon here and I will be going to Berlin for 1 week this coming June for work. It will be in a large convention centre called Messe? but luckily the company will grant me a few days of holiday to go sight seeing. I have been to Berlin over 10 years ago before the age of smart phones, city wifi, internet, and look forward going again. Berlin is my favourite European city, the wide streets, the architecture, the new modern feeling :swoon: And the font for signs. Sorry to be Berlin specific but if someone can answer a few questions that would be great.

• I'm planning to stay right near the Messe Convention centre in this hotel (Hotel Kaiser - Hopefully it's good) http://goo.gl/maps/mbThQ Is there anything I can do at night around that neighbourhood? I suppose I can take the U2 redline to the town centre but that seems to be kind of far. I don't even want to think how much a taxi would cost late at night to Mitte or a more happening area.

• Several people mentioned Monsieur Vuong, but any recommendations with historical hearty German food? Is Curry 36 worth taking the train for some currywurst? I really love street food and sausage!

• Speaking food, I do love a good Dunkel. I may be busy for many nights, but a nice dunkel or Berlin beer to end the night would be awesome. I only had Edringer and Paulaner.

• Turkish food? Polish/Eastern European ? With a big population there's got to be some good Turkish places in town. What is the demographics of Berlin nowadays? I suspect being a capitol and a trendy place there would be waves of immigration.

• Where is the sleazy/gangster area? I'm somehow attracted in the seedy places of cities, in my experience they have awesome food and stay open forever (at least in Hong Kong because Gangsters work weird hours and need to eat)

• If I go to 2 Museums, which ones should I go? I only vividly remember Check point Charlie, this time I am a bit interested in the DDR museum and something historical for my photography hobby

• What are the goony goon goon things you guys would do in Berlin? Do you guys have good LAN cafe's, board game stores, maid cafes, or German-nerd stores?

• Do you Berlin goons ever do a goon meet? I suppose everyone would be speaking German, which I imagine would be fun because you guys are all making references to swap.avi or goatse

• I have heard that the electronic music scene in Berlin is rad. Whereabouts can I find something for a Saturday weekend let's get drunk, act silly and dance?

• What internet chat programs do you guys use? Whatsapp/Viber/Some German chat program/google talk?

• I tried looking at http://www.t-mobile.de/tarife/0,10821,17773-_3288,00.html and buy a sim card. In this day and age, I need my internet where ever I go. How much do I need to pay for a temporary 3G card with basic calls/data. For a week I guess I can survive for 100 Mb for basic chat, email and google directions. I hope Germany is not America stupid when it comes to getting a sim card and is a easy process. I'm tempted to forgo calls and just stick with data and use a chat program. But for business, perhaps I still need to pay for voice :(

Thanks again everyone! And is there a Berlin goon group or goon meet? That would be fun if someone wants to meet a Chinese guy who grew up in Canada yet paid :10bux: Meeting locals/expats for a night would be awesome. You guys would probably know your way around a lot more than a tourist like me. Plus that means I won't get robbed. Perhaps a kidney stolen but I'm cool :shobon: And if you guys have any requests for Chinese food, souvenirs or items I can gladly bring. Most overseas goons I have met are a really fun bunch. If someone can host for me I would definitely set up a Hong Kong welcome party :neckbeard: You can pm me, or email me [SA user][dot][spam] gmail

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

There's a truck opposite curry 36 called mustafas gemüse kebap which is way more worth the money if you are going to head down that way.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Taking the U2 to the inner city doesn't take long at all. 15 minutes maybe? Westkreuz isn't very far either so you could take the S7 as well, it runs on the main East/West line. Cheaper than a taxi, too, and at least on weekend the trains run until late at night.

Turkish food is available quite literally on every corner, although the quality might be debatable and anyway most of it's döner kebab. You'll get a better selection in Neukölln.

Sleazy areas: Wedding, Neukölln.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

caberham posted:

I'm planning to stay right near the Messe Convention centre in this hotel (Hotel Kaiser - Hopefully it's good) http://goo.gl/maps/mbThQ Is there anything I can do at night around that neighbourhood? I suppose I can take the U2 redline to the town centre but that seems to be kind of far. I don't even want to think how much a taxi would cost late at night to Mitte or a more happening area.
Nothing to do there at night. But as others said, U2 will get you into the good neighbourhoods very quickly. Beware, though, that during the week the subway closes between 12 and 1 AM depending on the line and after that you're stuck with night busses. But taxis aren't terribly expensive, either.

quote:

Several people mentioned Monsieur Vuong, but any recommendations with historical hearty German food? Is Curry 36 worth taking the train for some currywurst? I really love street food and sausage!
Can't say anything about Monsieur Vuong, never been there. I wouldn't go to Curry 36 or Mustafa's Kebab either unless you fancy long lines or it's 3 AM and you're in that area anyway. For currywurst I prefer Bergmann Curry in Bergmannstraße (U Gneisenaustraße) and Curry am Rathaus at U Rathaus Neukölln. For traditional German food, Max und Moritz in Oranienstraße (U Moritzplatz) is decent. For good and cheap schnitzel, try Scheers Schnitzel in Warschauer Straße at the corner with Stralauer Allee (U/S Warschauer Straße/U Schlesisches Tor; they close at 10 PM and are closed Sundays, fyi.)

quote:

Speaking food, I do love a good Dunkel. I may be busy for many nights, but a nice dunkel or Berlin beer to end the night would be awesome. I only had Edringer and Paulaner.
That's generally a Southern German thing but most pubs should have some type of Weißbier but it might not necessarily be Dunkel. Every Späti (small corner shop) should sell some, though. The big Berlin beers (Kindl, Pilsener and Schultheiss) are all a bit meh but some microbreweries have sprung up, e.g. Brauerei am Rollberg (Neukölln), but their distribution networks are somewhat lacking.

quote:

Turkish food? Polish/Eastern European ? With a big population there's got to be some good Turkish places in town.
For a quick fix of an amazing köfte sandwich I recommend Izmir Köftecisi in Reichenberger Straße (U Kottbusser Tor). I heard great things about Matreshka for Russian food (near S Ostkreuz) but when I wanted to eat there they were fully booked.

quote:

What is the demographics of Berlin nowadays? I suspect being a capitol and a trendy place there would be waves of immigration.
Demographics are all over the place and depend on the neighbourhood but generelly there has been a significant number of young, educated Southern Europeans moving in over the past few years due to the crisis.

quote:

Where is the sleazy/gangster area? I'm somehow attracted in the seedy places of cities, in my experience they have awesome food and stay open forever (at least in Hong Kong because Gangsters work weird hours and need to eat)
I wouldn't call any area sleazy or gangster. If you want to walk among prostitutes then Oranienburger Straße and Kurfürstenstraße are your go-to places.

quote:

If I go to 2 Museums, which ones should I go? I only vividly remember Check point Charlie, this time I am a bit interested in the DDR museum and something historical for my photography hobby
I've heard good things about the Jewish Museum. The go-to for visitors would be the Museumsinsel (4 or 5 museums on a tiny island, among them the Pergamon Museum with stuff like the namesake altar from Pergamon and the Ishtar gate of Babylon.)

quote:

What are the goony goon goon things you guys would do in Berlin? Do you guys have good LAN cafe's, board game stores, maid cafes, or German-nerd stores?
No idea, really. I heard about some hacker space/hang-out called c-base near S Jannowitzbrücke, I think. Also the video game museum on Karl-Marx-Allee (U Weberwiese) could be nice. But I'm not a goony goon so others might know better things to do.

quote:

I have heard that the electronic music scene in Berlin is rad. Whereabouts can I find something for a Saturday weekend let's get drunk, act silly and dance?
Go to the area around U Schlesisches Tor in Kreuzberg and along Revaler Straße (S/U Warschauer Straße/S Ostkreuz) in Friedrichshain.

quote:

I tried looking at http://www.t-mobile.de/tarife/0,10821,17773-_3288,00.html and buy a sim card. In this day and age, I need my internet where ever I go. How much do I need to pay for a temporary 3G card with basic calls/data. For a week I guess I can survive for 100 Mb for basic chat, email and google directions. I hope Germany is not America stupid when it comes to getting a sim card and is a easy process. I'm tempted to forgo calls and just stick with data and use a chat program. But for business, perhaps I still need to pay for voice :(
A pay-as-you-go SIM card will cost you about 10 EUR with up to 10 EUR of credit included. Sometimes you need to register the card online with a German address but your hotel address should be fine. Data is fairly cheap. I currently pay 16,95 EUR/month for 500 MB plus 500 phone credits (one phone credit being either a text message or a minute of calling.) There might be better deals out there.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 23, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everything in Euro's is just making my wallet ache. It's like going to Japan all over again :emo:

schoenfelder posted:

This man knows Berlin

Thank you so much for the reply :tipshat: I really want to slap my co-workers silly when they say that "Berlin is boring, there's not much to see and only a few places to eat" :negative: Hopefully I can take them out to Potsdam and a few palaces to show that many European countries have rich intermingling histories and surviving architecture. It's not just France and Italy :negative: Reading the wiki travel articles on Berlin and Potsdam is making me jealous :eng99: I do a have a thing for Germany (except the language, I'm sorry the 4 grammar cases and 3 genders make my head explode). German chicks are freaking hot :swoon:

I saved it all as Berlin.txt Hopefully it will just be great things and not a list of my melt down or bad things happen when I go to Germany. Nowadays with google live view, 3d maps, internet everything looks so much easier to handle. Oranienburger Straße and Kurfürstenstraße looks really plain from google live view. I suppose street walkers pop out at night? But nowadays, prostitution is legal so it's not a big deal :420: is illegal but just frowned upon not get thrown into prison bad right?

Looking at http://www.qype.co.uk/place/858228-Matreshka-Berlin and I will try it out! Maybe we can set a gooooooooon meet there? It seems to be on the other end of the town :( A day ticket seems more feasible. I don't even want to think of a taxi late at night, pray that they don't do late night charges. Where do drunk salary man go when it's late at night besides sleeping on a park bench? Apparently, public drunkeness is frowned upon in Germany and never happens according to this guide. http://www.cyborlink.com/besite/germany.htm Which I call bullshit.

2 Euros for a single trip and by zone? Does that mean people walk a lot like they do in New York City if they don't have monthly tickets? Granted, a day ticket is not too pricey if I go to mulitple locations. A 10 Euro sim card is attractive and I get awesome 3G speeds right? How is LTE in Germany? Everyone uses viber/whatsapp right? Speaking of technology, if you guys use a ticket system for the metro, is there a uniform contact less pay card like Oyster in London? From the Euro thread it seems like Europe is still mostly cash-based :iiam:

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is the savings in the bank thing to make sure she can afford to get out once she gets there?

She'd need to get a visa to stay here longer than 3 months. It's been a while since I applied for a language school visa, but if I remember correctly, you have to prove that you have enough money to support yourself, which can be done by showing them that you have like $5-10,000 in the bank. As an American, she shouldn't have any problem getting one.

Don't forget that she'll need to buy private health insurance when she gets to Germany in order to get the visa, which will be like €40 a month.

Edit: since you're not married, I'm not sure what sort of options you have to get her added on as a dependent for your student visa, if there are any.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 23, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

caberham posted:

(except the language, I'm sorry the 4 grammar cases and 3 genders make my head explode).
I don't think we have to take language criticism from a chinese goon :colbert:

caberham posted:

2 Euros for a single trip and by zone? Does that mean people walk a lot like they do in New York City if they don't have monthly tickets? Granted, a day ticket is not too pricey if I go to mulitple locations.
I've been in Berlin twice, last year and the year before where I also visited the Messegelände. Getting into the city from there is really just like 15-20 minutes.
Prices are not that bad when you're in a group or have a monthly ticket but I guess it fucks over single tourists.

caberham posted:

A 10 Euro sim card is attractive and I get awesome 3G speeds right? How is LTE in Germany? Everyone uses viber/whatsapp right?
LTE is basically non-existent outside bigger cities though with Berlin you might be fine, also depends on the provider. 3g speeds are usually good though so it might not be a problem. People with smartphones usually use whatsapp in my experience, the rest sms of course.

caberham posted:

Speaking of technology, if you guys use a ticket system for the metro, is there a uniform contact less pay card like Oyster in London? From the Euro thread it seems like Europe is still mostly cash-based :iiam:

Hahahahaa no. Cash is king.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

caberham posted:

Everything in Euro's is just making my wallet ache. It's like going to Japan all over again :emo:
Actually you'll find Berlin to be very cheap. A beer from the corner shop is 0.80-1.50 EUR, at the pub 2.50-3 EUR. A currywurst with fries will set you back about 3 EUR, a kebab is 2-3 EUR. Out of the food places I mentioned the most expensive one is Max und Moritz where main dishes are 9-15 EUR.

quote:

Thank you so much for the reply :tipshat: I really want to slap my co-workers silly when they say that "Berlin is boring, there's not much to see and only a few places to eat" :negative: Hopefully I can take them out to Potsdam and a few palaces to show that many European countries have rich intermingling histories and surviving architecture.
I don't know where they get that idea from but Berlin is full of culture (the only city in the world with 3 opera houses, more museums than NYC etc.) and fantastic places to eat.

Potsdam is definitely nice for a day and you'll be able to get there fairly easily from where your hotel is.

Since you're here in the summer you might want to check out Teufelsberg in Grunewald. It's a derelict US espionage tower system. Officially you're not allowed to enter but there are holes in the fence. Gives you a nice view and has a great atmosphere now that everything is covered in graffiti and sort of falling down.

Also good things to do during the summer: hang out along the canals in the evening with a beer. Check out Tempelhofer Feld park (runways of the old Tempelhof airport turned into a public park where people do everything from urban gardening to kiteboarding.) Check out Görlitzer Park for a nice mix of big Turkish families, hipsters and drug dealers. Go to clubs which have an outside area along the Spree river and enjoy the sunrise after a night of partying. Do a Späti tour in Kreuzberg (the little corner shops will put out tables and benches during the summer which is great for people watching, drinking cheap beer and getting to talk to other people.)

quote:

Oranienburger Straße and Kurfürstenstraße looks really plain from google live view. I suppose street walkers pop out at night?
Yeah, that's more of a night-time thing. But I repeat, there are no areas where brothels, cheap bars and shady massage parlours are concentrated.

quote:

:420: is illegal but just frowned upon not get thrown into prison bad right?
Generally criminal charges are dropped if you carry less than 15 grams with you.

quote:

Apparently, public drunkeness is frowned upon in Germany and never happens according to this guide. http://www.cyborlink.com/besite/germany.htm Which I call bullshit.
During the day, yeah, sort of. At night and in the nightlife areas: bullshit.

Edit: Just had a look at that link and thought about it for a moment. I consider public drunkenness that extends to falling over yourself, throwing up in the streets etc. to be somewhere between rude, unacceptable and pathetic. It's not normal outside the 14-17-year old demographic.

quote:

2 Euros for a single trip and by zone? Does that mean people walk a lot like they do in New York City if they don't have monthly tickets? Granted, a day ticket is not too pricey if I go to mulitple locations.
Actually it's 2.40 EUR nowadays for a single ticket for zones A and B (which cover the whole city.) A day ticket is almost always the best option. Beware that day tickets are not valid for 24 hours but until 3 AM of the next day. If you're looking to visit some museums you might want to take a look at the 72 hour or 5-day passes aimed at tourists. Generally they are more expensive than a set of day tickets but give you discounts on museum etc.

Subways and S-Bahn run 24/7 on weekends.

quote:

A 10 Euro sim card is attractive and I get awesome 3G speeds right? How is LTE in Germany?
Usually you have to activate the data option via a text message or through your online account. Could be something like 9.90 EUR for 500 MB in 30 days. Some operators also offer daily data, usually at 2.50 EUR/day. And yes, that's always 3G. I think LTE is only available through some operators, some cities and only for people who have a contract instead of pay-as-you-go (someone correct me if that's changed.)

quote:

Everyone uses viber/whatsapp right?
WhatsApp, yes. Viber: I've never met anyone who uses it. Tried it once and thought the quality was crap. That may have changed, though.

quote:

Speaking of technology, if you guys use a ticket system for the metro, is there a uniform contact less pay card like Oyster in London? From the Euro thread it seems like Europe is still mostly cash-based :iiam:
Cash-based. The ticket machines accept cards (at least EC bank cards, not sure about credit cards.)

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 23, 2013

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

schoenfelder posted:

Edit: Just had a look at that link and thought about it for a moment. I consider public drunkenness that extends to falling over yourself, throwing up in the streets etc. to be somewhere between rude, unacceptable and pathetic. It's not normal outside the 14-17-year old demographic.

my favourite quote from that link:

quote:

The German thought process is extremely thorough, with each aspect of a project being examined in great detail. This process is often times very time-intensive. However, once the planning is over, a project will move very quickly and deadlines are expected to be honored.

:laugh:

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Deadlines go out the window if it's the taxpayer's money you're spending, it's the law!

Personally this one made me chuckle:

quote:

Titles are very important to Germans. Do your best to address people by their full, correct title, no matter how extraordinarily long that title may seem to foreigners. This is also true when addressing a letter.
Imagine going up to somebody and addressing them as "Professor Doktor rer.nat. Doktor h.c. mult. Müller-Lüdenscheid, Träger des Bundesverdienstkreuzes und des Bayerischen Verdienstordens". WTF?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, everyone knows that's the Austrians.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

schoenfelder posted:

Generally criminal charges are dropped if you carry less than 15 grams with you.

More like 10g, to be on the safe side.

Then again, knowing the German police, it'd be too much :effort: for them to fine a non-brown, non-German speaking foreigner anyway.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Potsdam is really nice and if you're staying near Westkreuz you're in prime position to go there, maybe have a quick look around Wannsee on the way. S7 will take you there directly and pretty quickly, considering you won't have to go through the inner city of Berlin first. Sanssouci and the surrounding park is quite nice if you're interested in history or architecture (I'm not really and personally think it's a bit too touristy and if you have limited time, save yourself the trip; still, the park is neat), or you could take a tour of the Babelsberg film studios and visit the Filmmuseum. Decent restaurants as well though nothing you couldn't get just as good in Berlin, to be fair.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

More like 10g, to be on the safe side.

Then again, knowing the German police, it'd be too much :effort: for them to fine a non-brown, non-German speaking foreigner anyway.
Depends on the Land. In Bavaria you're pretty much hosed always as they tend to not drop charges at all. Berlin has the 15g policy, though there were some discussions in the Senat recently about lowering that to something like 10g.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gold and a Pager posted:

Edit: since you're not married, I'm not sure what sort of options you have to get her added on as a dependent for your student visa, if there are any.
So if we did get married before going over there, it would be a lot easier? I'll keep that in mind, since it will still be more than a year until it happens.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

quote:

What are the goony goon goon things you guys would do in Berlin? Do you guys have good LAN cafe's, board game stores, maid cafes, or German-nerd stores?

Whoa,LAN cafe`s are so nineties, they all closed several years ago.
There are more than enough WLAN spots though:
http://www.berlin.de/special/computer-und-handy/computer/932702-895115-freiewlanhotspotsinberlin.html

I looked for some board game stores
http://www.nexus-berlin.de/Berliner_L%C3%A4den
There is one near Warschauer Strasse but I dont know how its called :(

Maid Cafe :lol: but there is a private one in Berlin. No way of getting in that I know of.

Hi schoenfelder,are you from Berlin? And somewhere from Ex-Yugoslavia?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

AstroWhale posted:

You probably mean Spielwiese in Kopernikusstraße opposite that one kick-rear end jewelry store.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

AstroWhale posted:

Hi schoenfelder,are you from Berlin? And somewhere from Ex-Yugoslavia?
I live in Berlin and spent some time in Belgrade. Why?

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Becuase of your avatar or Grade moj.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey thanks for the heads up everyone, really appreciate it :) Apparently, this 1 week trip is going to be lengthened to 2.5 weeks. I need to stop by Stuttgart, Warsaw, and maybe Munich. A lot more travelling, and unfortunately, "can't rent a car - it's too dangerous to drive". For Stuttgart is there any famous food or drink? It looks like a small city/town from reading wikitravel. Aldi is a featured store, and half the entries are Doners or kebaps :stare: Can't wait to go to Texas Munich! Sure people in the DnD thread bitch about conservative Bavarians but I wonder how they treat tourists?

I really want to find restaurants and try : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_dishes

wikitravel, stuttgart city posted:

A surprisingly large number of stores and restaurants do not take credit cards other than MasterCard and Visa, and it may be difficult to find ATMs that accept other cards as well.
Shops are open until about 8PM Monday-Saturday.

:laffo: I actually evny people who work retail in Europe. Sure everything is not ultra convenient but on the surface of things, it's nice to see people with lower income jobs can actually enjoy a life like everyone else :shobon:

AstroWhale posted:

Whoa,LAN cafe`s are so nineties, they all closed several years ago.
There are more than enough WLAN spots though:
http://www.berlin.de/special/computer-und-handy/computer/932702-895115-freiewlanhotspotsinberlin.html

Korean or Japanese Lan cafes are awesome. Fast internet, cheap drinks and food, and you can sleep there for a night. Do you guys get 24 hour macdonalds or fast food with 3-4 guys clumped up together playing Monster Hunter on the PSP?

quote:

I looked for some board game stores
http://www.nexus-berlin.de/Berliner_L%C3%A4den

Interesting, wonder if I will see any gooony goon goon neckbeards? Probably just a bunch of enthusiastic players like else where in the world. Bonus points if I catch a pirate bay guy there with a my little pony t shirt.

quote:

Maid Cafe :lol: but there is a private one in Berlin. No way of getting in that I know of.

Probably some university anime club thing? I suppose everywhere in the world you will find your fair share of weaboos who worship :japan:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam and Prague. Planned on flying between the two but I'm steadily leaning towards a train with a couple days extra in Germany. My first thought was Berlin or Leipzig, but I'm open to suggestions if someone has an opinion on a better stop. Just looking to do some people watching, get some quality food, maybe check out something with some military history behind it, and try some beer. Probably something I can do anywhere, but it never hurts to ask.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

caberham posted:

:laffo: I actually evny people who work retail in Europe. Sure everything is not ultra convenient but on the surface of things, it's nice to see people with lower income jobs can actually enjoy a life like everyone else :shobon:

I wouldn't. I'm pretty sure that basically everyone you see working in a grocery store makes just 400 euros a month. The 400 euro "mini-job" thing is pretty prevalent and unless you're working just 10 hours a week, it's a pretty raw deal.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

nessin posted:

I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam and Prague. Planned on flying between the two but I'm steadily leaning towards a train with a couple days extra in Germany. My first thought was Berlin or Leipzig, but I'm open to suggestions if someone has an opinion on a better stop. Just looking to do some people watching, get some quality food, maybe check out something with some military history behind it, and try some beer. Probably something I can do anywhere, but it never hurts to ask.

As much as I like Leipzig, for short-term cultural stuff you're probably better off with Dresden.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

caberham posted:

For Stuttgart is there any famous food or drink? It looks like a small city/town from reading wikitravel.

I really want to find restaurants and try : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_dishes
German cities on the whole tend to be smaller than US cities. At a population of 600.000 it's nothing to write home about globally but still one of Germany's largest.

Looking through the list in Stuttgart you'll want to try Maultaschen, Spätzle and Schupfnudeln, those are probably the most quintessentially Swabian dishes around. You also might want to try Saure Kutteln - sour tripe, which is exactly what it says on the tin. Not for everyone but if you're into offal, go ahead. Don't know any specific restaurants unfortunately but maybe someone here is from the area?

(mein Beileid in dem Fall)

ZeitGeits
Jun 20, 2006
Too much time....

caberham posted:

For Stuttgart is there any famous food or drink?

Regional specialties include: "Zwiebelrostbraten", "Maultaschen" and "Kässpätzle". Stuttgart is wine country and some winemakers have a small bar/restaurant where they sell their own products. Unfortunately these "Besen", as they are called, are closed in the summer months. I can recommend this restaurant if you want to try local food and wines.

Very close to Stuttgart is the town of Esslingen (~20 mins by train from the main station) which has a beautiful medieval city center. The tourist bureau offers guided tours if that is your thing.

Edit:

My Lovely Horse posted:

(mein Beileid in dem Fall)

Stuttgart is not that bad if you are 30+ and have family. Lots of jobs, the surrounding countryside is beautiful and the city is family friendly. Stuttgart sucks rear end if you are looking for an urban lifestyle a la Berlin or Hamburg. One of the reasons I am moving to Munich.

Ich hoffe ich komm' nicht vom Regen in die Traufe.

ZeitGeits fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 31, 2013

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

ZeitGeits posted:

Tust du, "größtes Dorf der Welt" und so. Nur, dass in München die Mieten noch höher als in Stuttgart sind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

ZeitGeits posted:

I learned a new idiom today! Danke schön! :)