Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Alberta Cross posted:

Bonus points if you can tie in the new LCG too.

Miniature X-wings doing death star trench run on the victory dial of the LCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
One local player hates the space combat rules from the RPG and is planning to sub in miniatures game rules in their place.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I played a 140 point game of this the other day at it seemed the Rebels couldn't make anywhere near enough headway on the Imperials to counteract their numbers. I had 5 TIEs, Vader and a TIE Interceptor with lots of Swarm Tactics versus 2 X-Wings and 2 Y-Wings, loaded to the gills with torpedoes, astromechs, ion cannons, the lot.

The problem card seems to be Swarm Tactics. It allows the Imperials to just focus-fire stuff to death and even make Academy Pilots useful when they're now Pilot Skill 9.

Maybe when the A-Wing comes out things will change. My shopping list for the next wave is 2 A-Wings, another TIE Interceptor (I won one at my local Kessel Run event) and a Falcon.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Sounds like the Rebel player should have brought another ship and less toys.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bob Smith posted:

I played a 140 point game of this the other day at it seemed the Rebels couldn't make anywhere near enough headway on the Imperials to counteract their numbers. I had 5 TIEs, Vader and a TIE Interceptor with lots of Swarm Tactics versus 2 X-Wings and 2 Y-Wings, loaded to the gills with torpedoes, astromechs, ion cannons, the lot.

The problem card seems to be Swarm Tactics. It allows the Imperials to just focus-fire stuff to death and even make Academy Pilots useful when they're now Pilot Skill 9.

Maybe when the A-Wing comes out things will change. My shopping list for the next wave is 2 A-Wings, another TIE Interceptor (I won one at my local Kessel Run event) and a Falcon.

At 140 points there's no reason the rebel player should have had less than 5 ships.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Echoing everyone else when I say that you need to remind the rebel player that another ship (with its guns and sets of shields) is almost always better than some upgrades.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, even if those 4 ships had been the 4 most expensive ones he could take, that still left 35 points of upgrades jammed onto them. He should have had another body, and probably not taken 4 characters if he did.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I am a fan of everyone's participation in the thread so far. Is there any info from the discussion you all think should be added to the OP?

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

I am a fan of everyone's participation in the thread so far. Is there any info from the discussion you all think should be added to the OP?

Perhaps some 'standard' builds and a short explanation as to why they are popular to help new players along?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

In contrast KR Multicase is very friendly and supportive of the community. I highly recommend them.

Seconding how awesome KR are, I won one of their aluminium cases from the first iron gob painting thingy that Fix ran a few years back, use it regularly and it keeps my models snug. Doubly awesome if they're also doing custom cut foam for x-wing :)

To get back on track, how much fun are you going to have with just the base set? Is it going to need extras being bought to keep the 'fun' alive? and if so, what kind of $/£ outlay would you expect to pay out to get there?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are there any plans for more KR-style tournaments or leagues? I really wish they would have printed a Jek Porkins card and would play in anything to get one. I mean seriously that guy's popular and even LEGO knows this.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release a pack of new pilots/options without a ship attached at some point. Alternatively, you could always hit up boardgamegeek - I'm pretty sure they have photoshop templates of all ships and you could find or make a homebrew Porkins.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Enri: The base set is plenty fun on its own, since you can experiment around with different builds -- you're just going to be limited by not having enough ships and missing out on some of the more popular builds. So there's two ways you can go about it. Slowly build up your expansions as you need them and can fit them in, or pick a build from the beginning and build your way towards that as a goal.

If you want to build an team as cheaply as possible, play as Rebel and add in one X-wing and one Y-wing expansion. Rebel ships are more expensive and have more upgrade options (droids, missiles, etc.) that would allow you to fill up your 100 points faster. With the Imperials, unfortunately your upgrade options are more limited, and the ships are cheaper, meaning you need more of them (and thus, need to spend more money) to reach your 100 points.

On the other hand, $15 for expansions is actually really doable for most people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Side note: if you find yourself in need of 2 regular TIEs, just buy a second core set. That'll get you the TIEs you need as well as a spare set of movement templates and more dice.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

jivjov posted:

Side note: if you find yourself in need of 2 regular TIEs, just buy a second core set. That'll get you the TIEs you need as well as a spare set of movement templates and more dice.

I'd still recommend one actual TIE expansion for the new cards.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

I'd say for a beginner, what you'd want is:

Rebel:
(3) X-wings
(1) Y-wing

Imperial:
(5) Tie Fighter
(1) Tie Advanced

That'll give you what you'd need to field a not-terrible 100pt team, and still have room for some customization. The best part is that comes to exactly 2 starter sets and one expansion of each ship. Simple enough to do (and $70 list split 2 ways) if you have a friend that wants to be your foil.

My current build for Rebels is:

Garven Dries - 26
Rookie Pilot - 21
Dutch Vander - 23
- Ion Cannon - 5
- R5-K6 - 2
Gold Squadron - 18
- Ion Cannon - 5

Dutch and Gold just fly around in a lazy circle around the furball, ioning things out of the sky. X-wings break and engage in dogfighting. Dutch hands people targeting locks like it's free candy, usually after all the moving is done, and Garven passes off focus tokens to whoever needs one most, so there's a LOT of damage output between all the rerolling.

As for the Imperials, I've been playing around, trying desperately to find a viable build with a second Tie Advanced. So far, no luck. My big hope was focus firing something during the first pass with two concussion missiles, but even that doesn't seem worth it, and other Ties are just more worth it on a point / usefulness. Basically, I feel like the Advanced is worthless unless Vader is inside.

Edit: Also putting a link to the ship building website in the OP would be excellent.

Val Helmethead fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 16, 2013

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'd say that's pretty bad advice considering that the wave two stuff will be hitting next month.

Plus, you don't have to play 100pt teams to have a good game. We normally play around 60 or 65 and it's way more fun in my book.

Having more than three of any specific ship is silly unless you're super set on playing in tournaments in the next two weeks.

Buy one core set. Buy one of each expansion. Wait until Wave Two hits before buying anything else.

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 16, 2013

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Okay, for a "I want to see how this game plays" beginner vs the "I like this game and want to field a full squadron now" beginner, I'd go with one starter set, one Y-wing and one Advanced expansion. I taught a friend to play on a short time scale just by doing a 2 Tie Fighter, 1 Advanced vs 1 X-wing 1 Y-wing fight, with no named pilots or elite cards to monkey up with the rules. It gives the players a chance to feel how the different ships move and behave in a very vanilla setting.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I saw this in the hobby store the other day.

It looks basically like the Micromachines Star Wars figures which I collected religiously as a kid.

Is this in affiliation with those people who made those or completely remade from scratch? I am so tempted to pick it up if only because I miss my youth playing around with Micromachines. :smith:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mordaedil posted:

I saw this in the hobby store the other day.

It looks basically like the Micromachines Star Wars figures which I collected religiously as a kid.

Is this in affiliation with those people who made those or completely remade from scratch? I am so tempted to pick it up if only because I miss my youth playing around with Micromachines. :smith:

No, Micromachines has no involvement.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Finally got in another game last night, had a blast. This game is probably the most fun I've had with minis gaming in a long-rear end time. Finally got to play as the Imperials, took Vader (Conc missiles, squad leader), Mithal, Backstabber (Expert Handling), Night Beast, and a Black squad pilot (Determination). Up against a pimped out Wedge, Dutch, Garven combo. The first three turns saw Dutch, Wedge, Vader, and Night Beast get offed as our ships all attempted bizarre mating rituals in a clump. I ended up winning from there, with 3 TIEs left with a single damage left slowly whittling down Garven.

The 1 speed sharp turn is so good.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Diplomaticus posted:

Enri: The base set is plenty fun on its own, since you can experiment around with different builds -- you're just going to be limited by not having enough ships and missing out on some of the more popular builds. So there's two ways you can go about it. Slowly build up your expansions as you need them and can fit them in, or pick a build from the beginning and build your way towards that as a goal.

If you want to build an team as cheaply as possible, play as Rebel and add in one X-wing and one Y-wing expansion. Rebel ships are more expensive and have more upgrade options (droids, missiles, etc.) that would allow you to fill up your 100 points faster. With the Imperials, unfortunately your upgrade options are more limited, and the ships are cheaper, meaning you need more of them (and thus, need to spend more money) to reach your 100 points.

On the other hand, $15 for expansions is actually really doable for most people.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. And thank you everyone else who commented too :) Shall seriously look into picking up the starter set and seeing if it's got legs at the local club

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Has anyone played much in the way of Imperial vs. Imperial or Rebel on Rebel scraps? How do those tend to work out?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I've seen a couple Imp v Imp fights; it's sort of a slapfight. If one team has Mithal and/or Backstabber, or Howlrunner to buff, they have a big leg up. Otherwise, you end up with a lot of 2 dice against 3 defense + evade/focus, which means no one gets hit. Even 3 against 3 at range 1 is only small odds at dealing damage (3/8 of a damage if you both focus, I think). Basically, whoever uses the named pilots the best will win, otherwise its mostly luck. Most matchups like this went to time at the Kessel run from what I understand.

I think Interceptors will change that up a bit, they'll be able to hit much more reliably at close range.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Winson_Paine posted:

Has anyone played much in the way of Imperial vs. Imperial or Rebel on Rebel scraps? How do those tend to work out?

My semi-final round at the Kessel run was Rebel vs Rebel and it worked fine. It was a bit of a slugging match, but it didn't drag too much.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

Imperial v Imperial at high point levels draaaaaaags if both teams are doing the kinda standard 6-7 tie build list. There are so many ships to move and not enough space to move them in.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

jivjov posted:

My semi-final round at the Kessel run was Rebel vs Rebel and it worked fine. It was a bit of a slugging match, but it didn't drag too much.

Yeah, I can imagine that would go quickly, since the ships are actually a big threat to each other. I actually kind of imagine that A-Wings will be really awesome against other Rebel lists, since the Rebels don't have Evade or better than 2 Agility, except on other A-Wings. Against TIE's, it can keep up with them and is just as agile, but it's going to suffer a similar problem in actually landing hits. Though Push the Limit + Target Lock + Focus might make them a bit better at actually landing some hits.

Here's two Rebel lists I actually want to try out, and think might do pretty well:

List 1: 100
Wedge w/ R2 Astromech, Determination
Gold Squadron w/ Ion Cannon

List 2: 100
Wedge w/ R2 Astromech, Swarm Tactics
Gray Squadron w/ Ion Cannon, R5 Astromech
Rookie Pilot
Rookie Pilot

List one is kind of a gimmick, but an amusing one I think. Just the chance to ion three fighters every turn makes me smile, and Wedge would have a field day murdering hapless TIE pilots. The second list is probably a lot stronger and I guess isn't anything new. No Biggs, because Biggs' ability makes you want to take your expensive X-Wing and get him shot while at longer ranges, meaning you're not taking advantage of his firepower. He's good, but I don't think I like him, personally. He's not actually more survivable than anyone else, and he's not more killy. He's just a target, and good maneuvering means his ability is of limited use. R2 Astromechs are the bomb, being able to actually pull good maneuvers when stressed, rather that either going almost straight or staying stressed, is awesome. For one point, hell yes, R2 units! Determination is pretty sweet on ace pilots, and it's a good buy for 1 point when you're just trying to get to 100. There's not many pilot crits, but the ones that there are, are all nasty as hell. Plus, there's the outside chance that you'll take a crit on your last hull point, have it be a pilot crit, and it will just get discarded instead of killing you. Pretty sweet (it will never happen)!

I know earlier in the thread there was a discussion about Initiative and whether it was good or bad. After playing more, I think it's actually situationally useful. It depends on how you've built your list, mostly. In some cases, moving first is a big deal, especially with lower-skilled pilots, since a pretty useful strategy is to try and jam up your opponents' movement lanes with low skill pilots, screwing their maneuvers and preventing them from taking actions. Imperial lists tend to do it more, since they have lots of cheap bodies most of the time, and Rebels have a harder time avoiding collisions with slower, less agile ships. In that case, being able to move your own 3-6 skill pilots, before the opposition, matters a lot. I say 3-6, because Rebels' poo poo pilots are all 2, and Imps' are all 1, so if you go super cheap, Initiative doesn't matter. But for those midlevel pilots, the better generic ones and the lesser named ones, being able to move before all the space is cluttered up can be pretty huge, even if all you can do is something defensive. It occasionally matters for the higher leveled (7-9) ones as well, but they tend to go so far towards the end, that simply beating out maybe 1 other ship isn't as big a deal; there's already a half-dozen moves made, at least. On the other hand, you still have to constant benefit of moving last = taking actions last, which is obviously good when you aren't running into poo poo.

I think initiative is going to be sort of a metagame thing. Some players who want to run a list with a bunch of the midlevel pilots, and want to get in the way, will want initiative if they think their opponent will be running midlevels as well. If the opponent is running all high and low, the midlevel pilots player might as well run 100 points, since it won't matter. That sort of thing will probably shake itself out on a per-group and per-player basis, which I think is pretty cool. I like that it also gives some extra meaning to having crappy pilots beyond cheap bodies. Academy pilots are the bane of any 3-ship Rebel build as far as I can tell, even just 2 or 3 can really screw up your movement. Elite builds for either side have to play really carefully or risk getting their best pilots stuck unable to take actions (watching Vader play bumper-ships for 3 turns is hilarious, if he's not yours; and a huge waste of his abilities). What say ye?

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 18, 2013

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011
Sat in the UK these days and thought I'd try to pick up the base game set for this. Cannot find it anywhere at all. There's not an over abundance of real stores even living near London and the online retailers I would normally try are out across the board of everything except expansions.

Was it a limited print run or something or should I expect stock to reappear shortly? Or alternatively can someone point me somewhere reliable where I won't need to mortgage my second kidney to afford it?

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Spork o Doom posted:

Sat in the UK these days and thought I'd try to pick up the base game set for this. Cannot find it anywhere at all. There's not an over abundance of real stores even living near London and the online retailers I would normally try are out across the board of everything except expansions.

Was it a limited print run or something or should I expect stock to reappear shortly? Or alternatively can someone point me somewhere reliable where I won't need to mortgage my second kidney to afford it?

I don't know there, but where I am we ran out of stock really quickly, specially during christmas and all that. You should also know that Wave 2 ships are coming next month, which means that your store of choice will get more basics, more wave 1 ships and a few wave 2 ships.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Spork o Doom posted:

Was about to recommend my LGS as I was sure they had a couple (and they do have an online store)... but I just checked said online store and their stock level reads a big fat 0 :(

Boo.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
I've just ordered from Amazon in the UK. They've got stock.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Amazon seems like the only place that gets stocked regularly. My FLGS does a ton of business online and in-store, and the guy there basically told me they don't get restocks from FF until another expansion comes out for things like X-Wing and the LCGs, or occasionally when they happen to actually fill orders. I assume it's because the stuff has to make it to FF by boat, then get distributed from there.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
For anyone in the Indianapolis region: one of the game stores here is talking about doing a large scale "trench run" event again.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

SERPUS posted:

For anyone in the Indianapolis region: one of the game stores here is talking about doing a large scale "trench run" event again.

Which store? While couldn't play in it, would be fun to watch.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
My order from TerrainMat arrived today. This is the space one :)

What do you guys think of it?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Pilgrimski posted:

What do you guys think of it?

I can't find them on their website, linky? Looks sexy, though.

E: Okay, they're all different...that's why I didn't see them. I'm not sure how much I like that, yours looks cool but the banner ad ones look less awesome. Hmm.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 25, 2013

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
It's this one: http://www.terrainmat.com/GalaticMat1.1.html

I was a bit surprised when I opened it, but it has grown on me, the yellow fades out to orange across the whole map, it's really very detailed.

Each one is unique apparantly. They badly need to expand production though, an 8 week waiting list is pretty severe.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Especially at £30 a go for what amounts to textured fabric. Can you give a bit of a review of it Pilgrimski? It really looks the part, but is it going to last, how well it can be stored, etc? The cost just feels a bit steep to my mind.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I just ordered the core set, and one of all the expansion packs and I'm so eager for them to arrive for this weekend. After reading this thread I also picked up two more packs of the dice on the cheap.

How would this game go playing with say, 4 players. I assume so long as you know which ships on your team are yours, it would be fine?

Either way, can't wait to play. And even more excited to get the new expansion ships (gotta get dat Millenium Falcon, its sexy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

tehsid posted:

I just ordered the core set, and one of all the expansion packs and I'm so eager for them to arrive for this weekend. After reading this thread I also picked up two more packs of the dice on the cheap.

How would this game go playing with say, 4 players. I assume so long as you know which ships on your team are yours, it would be fine?

Either way, can't wait to play. And even more excited to get the new expansion ships (gotta get dat Millenium Falcon, its sexy.)
We played a five man FFA last night after having played a game before, and it worked just fine. Oddly, a basic Obsidian Squadron TIE won it. :v:

• Locked thread