Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Anyone know if CDMA-enabled iPhone5's will work on DoCoMo? I found what looks like a pretty good LTE SIM rental deal, but to quote the response from their support email, "DoCoMo will not confirm YES or NO whether their nanosim work in your CDMA device."

I've got the Verizon iPhone, which according to Apple supports the 2100 Mhz frequency which JCR says their sim uses.

Last time I came to Japan I used Softbank's rental service, but while they'll happily rent you a sim for your iPhone, it looks to me like they prohibit tethering.

I'm going to be in Tokyo for two weeks in April; I don't want to pay Verizon's hideous overseas roaming rates and they unlock the phones for international travel, so SIM rental seems to be my best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

inklesspen posted:

Anyone know if CDMA-enabled iPhone5's will work on DoCoMo? I found what looks like a pretty good LTE SIM rental deal, but to quote the response from their support email, "DoCoMo will not confirm YES or NO whether their nanosim work in your CDMA device."

I've got the Verizon iPhone, which according to Apple supports the 2100 Mhz frequency which JCR says their sim uses.

yes but not for LTE, you will fall back to some flavor of 3G.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Two days til the new Aquos with the supposedly super-efficient screen comes out...

I'm divided between that and the SGS3.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Madd0g11 posted:

yes but not for LTE, you will fall back to some flavor of 3G.

Hm, yes, upon further reading, it seems you simply can't turn LTE on when you're using a network Apple doesn't support. That sucks. Well, I'll get the unlimited 3G sim, then. Thanks!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Traveling made me want a phone with Wifi. I love my clapper but I think it's time to upgrade to a Smartphone. Softbank Pantone 5?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

peanut posted:

Traveling made me want a phone with Wifi. I love my clapper but I think it's time to upgrade to a Smartphone. Softbank Pantone 5?

Are you determined to stick with Softbank?

Edit: Do they even sell Pantone 5s anymore? I thought they were up to 6.

Edit 2: Some sillyphones have wi-fi support, if you love the physical buttons and clapping action.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 12, 2013

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

Probably pissing into the wind, but seriously just get an iPhone.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Stringent posted:

Probably pissing into the wind, but seriously just get an iPhone.

I don't own an iPhone, but I was under the impression that stuff like wifi tethering wasn't possible on the iPhone unless you jailbroke it. Its there in the settings menu on Android by default.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kenishi posted:

I don't own an iPhone, but I was under the impression that stuff like wifi tethering wasn't possible on the iPhone unless you jailbroke it. Its there in the settings menu on Android by default.

It's available on AU, not sure about Softbank.

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Stringent posted:

It's available on AU, not sure about Softbank.

Softbank now supports tethering, but as usual there's plenty of cray-cray about the pricing structure:

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone_en/price_plan/

Basically tethering is free for the first two years and then 500-ish yen a month afterwards. There's a 7GB data cap, but I'm unclear about whether that applies just to tethering traffic or that becomes your overall data cap on your phone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tethering isn't an issue for me, I don't have or want a laptop. iPhones are cool but I'm from Mountain View, California, I want to support my ~local business~ by using Android.
They still had Pantone 5 and it they have a deal on it through January, but I asked the staff what happened to the smartphones with keyboards and she brought this from the back room. The monthly price was the same as Pantone, and the screen is bigger...

I'm regretting getting pink instead of white (no turquouise :(), but I'm not regretting this keyboard!
http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/smartphone/product/005sh/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Woah, you wasted your contract on a 2.2 phone which can upgrade as high as 2.3? I'd think you would have bigger regrets about buying a phone which is forced to use an outdated version of the OS...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Piss, all over me.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not the newest, but I'm satisfied with it. Already got my nyan cat screen lock :nyan:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Peanut, haters gonna hate. If it feels good, do it!

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I'm moving to Japan in March, and while I've been educating myself about the mobile market over there I can't seem to find anything about how the cost of a phone factors into a monthly plan. The only info I've found so far is on Softbank's iPhone page, which of course only applies to one phone on one carrier. Does this system, where I either buy a phone outright or pay a monthly fee, also happen with other carriers? If so, how do I find out how much a phone would cost since prices aren't listed anywhere obvious?

Also, if I can ever get my hands on a Nexus 4 I'd love to bring it with me. I'm fairly sure it's compatible with Docomo's network at least, but would they actually set me up with a plan on it despite me buying the phone outside of Japan?

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Sashimi posted:

I'm moving to Japan in March, and while I've been educating myself about the mobile market over there I can't seem to find anything about how the cost of a phone factors into a monthly plan. The only info I've found so far is on Softbank's iPhone page, which of course only applies to one phone on one carrier. Does this system, where I either buy a phone outright or pay a monthly fee, also happen with other carriers? If so, how do I find out how much a phone would cost since prices aren't listed anywhere obvious?

Also, if I can ever get my hands on a Nexus 4 I'd love to bring it with me. I'm fairly sure it's compatible with Docomo's network at least, but would they actually set me up with a plan on it despite me buying the phone outside of Japan?

I've got a Nexus that I got from Google as a developer. For unlocked foreign phones, you sign up for the plan at a Docomo shop, but you have to manually change the settings for data as they have no idea how to do it themselves.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Carfax Report posted:

I've got a Nexus that I got from Google as a developer. For unlocked foreign phones, you sign up for the plan at a Docomo shop, but you have to manually change the settings for data as they have no idea how to do it themselves.
I want to also stress that they won't give you those settings either. So you'll have to find them on the net.

EDIT: Phones on Docomo SIM-only plans won't have an @docomo.ne.jp email account. Thats restricted to SPモード only and they won't put that on a SIM-only plan, plus you have to use their (piece of poo poo) SPmode android app.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sashimi posted:

Paying for part of it month-to-month seems to be done equally over the term of the contract. I'm not sure if you can it half the money down, or if its just all or nothing...but I paid out of pocket for my iPhone a couple years ago and thanks to some kind of magic my bill is always just 5000 per month.

The prices and information are mostly in-stores. AU have a pretty good info packet in English I could track down if you want.

Also if you're going to be here more than a year just get a smartphone over here. Simplifies EVERYTHING versus trying to unlock a foreign phone.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Kenishi posted:

I want to also stress that they won't give you those settings either. So you'll have to find them on the net.

EDIT: Phones on Docomo SIM-only plans won't have an @docomo.ne.jp email account. Thats restricted to SPモード only and they won't put that on a SIM-only plan, plus you have to use their (piece of poo poo) SPmode android app.

I don't know why everyone maligns the SP-Mode app. I've never had a problem with it.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

tarepanda posted:

I don't know why everyone maligns the SP-Mode app. I've never had a problem with it.
Because its horribly clunky.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

harperdc posted:

Paying for part of it month-to-month seems to be done equally over the term of the contract. I'm not sure if you can it half the money down, or if its just all or nothing...but I paid out of pocket for my iPhone a couple years ago and thanks to some kind of magic my bill is always just 5000 per month.

The prices and information are mostly in-stores. AU have a pretty good info packet in English I could track down if you want.

Also if you're going to be here more than a year just get a smartphone over here. Simplifies EVERYTHING versus trying to unlock a foreign phone.
Thanks for the info! Now I figure getting a phone over there is the most straightforward thing to do, makes no sense to give myself more things to deal with.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sashimi posted:

Thanks for the info! Now I figure getting a phone over there is the most straightforward thing to do, makes no sense to give myself more things to deal with.

yep. if you're getting a smartphone (Android, iOS, whatever) life is super simple. Docomo is the rarest brand among the foreigners I know, partially because Softbank had the iPhone exclusively for a while, partially because they have the least English support to my knowledge. They used to have the best network by far, but now, pretty much everybody has the same 3G coverage -- if you're way in the boonies you might have trouble, but I only seem to way up in the hills near where I live. No clue about who's 4G/LTE is better or what have you.

For the record I think I signed up with Softbank when they had some really good deal going, another friend is paying much more since he switched from that contract to a new one for the iPhone 5, and others who got new phones when they arrived this past summer all pay a bit more (like 6000-8000 per month, including a little bit to pay off purchase of the phone like mentioned before).

avoid the hassle, turn your smartphone of choice into English, add Japanese keyboards to flirt with Japanese women chat with your colleagues and Japanese friends, get them to automatically withdraw your payments once you've got a bank account set up. It's all pretty straightforward. You're coming to be an ALT/teacher of some kind, right? Hopefully your contract org/BOE can help you with some of those steps (namely the bank and inkan and such, those are the most difficult).

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Carfax Report posted:

I have a Nexus 4 that's unlocked, presuming I have no fixed address (as I'll be travelling the first month), what's my best option for obtaining a nano SIM that's affordable? The length of my stay is unknown, since I'm coming in on a working holiday visa, not a contract.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Very unlikely. You can get a prepaid phone from Softbank that you just top up with credits at a Softbank store, or get a card at a convenience store. Even that took a full application and wait time to get, though. Japan lives on text messages, you can get unlimited text/sms for about 300 yen/month.

I can lend you my prepaid, that'll at least hold you until you find a SIM/data option. j laney at g mail dot com

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The offer is very much appreciated, I may take you up on that if it gets too ludicrous or complicated.

Last resort: What about data-only SIMs? For some reason those seem more accessible, and while I certainly don't intend to pay nearly 1man a month forever (a 2-week b-mobile data SIM is 3980円), if Japanese folks are email capable in general I'm fine limping along on my Gmail until I either give up or manage to swing my own SIM. (unless it is absolutely outright impossible in which case I guess it'll be prepaid land for me, ugh)

(data would also be handy for Maps)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

LiquidRain posted:

Last resort: What about data-only SIMs? For some reason those seem more accessible, and while I certainly don't intend to pay nearly 1man a month forever (a 2-week b-mobile data SIM is 3980円)

What's up with that? I use b-mobile's 1GB teigaku SIM which costs ~3000 per month when ordered from Amazon, and don't really get near the limit anyway with email, IM and browsing on the go. A friend has one of their voice-enabled plans with a 2GB cap and apparently pays approximately the same, but the prepaid setup works great for me.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Keito posted:

What's up with that? I use b-mobile's 1GB teigaku SIM which costs ~3000 per month when ordered from Amazon, and don't really get near the limit anyway with email, IM and browsing on the go. A friend has one of their voice-enabled plans with a 2GB cap and apparently pays approximately the same, but the prepaid setup works great for me.
I have a close friend in Japan who'd likely be more than willing to help me out with stuff like this; could he possibly obtain the prepaid SIM for me for a month off Amazon and then I'll just pop it in my phone? As long as it travels around Honshu, it works for me. :)

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

LiquidRain posted:

I have a close friend in Japan who'd likely be more than willing to help me out with stuff like this; could he possibly obtain the prepaid SIM for me for a month off Amazon and then I'll just pop it in my phone? As long as it travels around Honshu, it works for me. :)

You'll have to do a little bit more, but it's not too bad. Having a friend who can receive the SIM in advance of your arrival will help speed up things. :)

Before using the card you must call in and activate the SIM by inputting its number, but if you can borrow your friend's phone for this it'll be painless. Then, after putting it into your phone you'll probably need to manually enter the b-mobile APN settings. These preparations shouldn't take more than five minutes or so total, and the activation procedure can be done in English if Japanese is a problem.

b-mobile uses Docomo's network, so you should be getting reception around the country.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Yeah none of that is really an issue. Just to verify, is this the one? (I need a micro SIM for my Nexus 4, like an iPhone requires) Looks correct to me but my reading skills are rather terrible. If nobody else has any other ideas this really sounds like the most ideal route for me. Data cap doesn't bother me as I rarely use >100MB on my monthly plan at home. I imagine I'll use a little more while travelling but nowhere near 1GB.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
That's the right package, yeah.

I do a bit of VoIP calling and use Maps for navigation too, still keeping well within the cap. As long as you don't have to watch YouTube on the train or stream music it shouldn't be a problem, I would probably have gone for a smaller plan if they had one.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
So, looking around online unlocked dual band GSM phones won't work at all in Japan, right? If so, I'm definitely not renting some poo poo, since I don't need a phone that often. Are public pay phones common at all in Japan? Sounds dumb to ask in 2013, but you never know...

I ask because I have a pre-paid card that reverts charges to an account in the US and will be 2cent/min all over the world. Aside from that, I've heard of phone cards. Are they an option at all for local calls? Again I guess it depends on if there are public pay phones around :/

edit: reply may be slow as I have limited internet access through internet cafes here.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

moflika posted:

So, looking around online unlocked dual band GSM phones won't work at all in Japan, right? If so, I'm definitely not renting some poo poo, since I don't need a phone that often. Are public pay phones common at all in Japan? Sounds dumb to ask in 2013, but you never know...

I ask because I have a pre-paid card that reverts charges to an account in the US and will be 2cent/min all over the world. Aside from that, I've heard of phone cards. Are they an option at all for local calls? Again I guess it depends on if there are public pay phones around :/

edit: reply may be slow as I have limited internet access through internet cafes here.

get somebody to vouch for you to get a pre-paid Softbank cell phone, recharge it with cards from conbinis. get a real (Japanese) phone once you've got more settled if you're gonna be here a while. problem solved.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
So the Samsung Galaxy S4 just got announced and I've been waiting for a new Galaxy to come out. I wonder when/if its coming to Docomo.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
I would get an unlocked HK/SG phone and throw a docomo sim in it to not have to deal with docomo crap on the phone or slow upgrades.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Kenishi posted:

So the Samsung Galaxy S4 just got announced and I've been waiting for a new Galaxy to come out. I wonder when/if its coming to Docomo.

I don't see why not... the S2 and S3 were both Docomo.

Madd0g11 posted:

I would get an unlocked HK/SG phone and throw a docomo sim in it to not have to deal with docomo crap on the phone or slow upgrades.

I rooted my S2 and ended up regretting it... it ended up being really annoying in so many tiny ways, especially with SP-mode.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm mostly disappointed that I don't get osaifu keitai with my Nexus 4. :( (not to mention for some reason I'm only picking up straight old 3G (HSDPA 8, not even HSDPA+) and it tends to be awfully slow) (and no, NFC is nowhere here, same as the States :P )

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

tarepanda posted:

I don't see why not... the S2 and S3 were both Docomo.

I rooted my S2 and ended up regretting it... it ended up being really annoying in so many tiny ways, especially with SP-mode.
I only say "if" cause a few products that have made it to the market in other areas (ie: Galaxy Note 10.1) haven't even been mentioned here. I've been wondering if this has anything to do with the tension between Korea and Japan.

What's wrong with SP-Mode? I rooted my phone and SP-Mode works fine (I installed the WAPPush patch).

Kenishi fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 15, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Probably more to do with market -- a lot of the stuff I've seen that doesn't make it over has major domestic competition.

I don't see any reason for a major flagship phone like the S4 to not make it here given that all of its predecessors have. That would be like Softbank choosing not to release the iPhone 5S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

get somebody to vouch for you to get a pre-paid Softbank cell phone, recharge it with cards from conbinis. get a real (Japanese) phone once you've got more settled if you're gonna be here a while. problem solved.

Thanks for this! I'll see if I can meet somebody willing to break the rules *gasp* while I'm there.

• Locked thread