Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Woah, you weren't kidding, it's pretty great. Is weird that every important character is a middle school girl but that made the whole story hilarious (kind of remind me of "My Balls" :v:)
However, the last update was in February of 2011 is this story dropped by the scanlations groups?

Apparently the translator was on a hiatus for a long time because of personal and hardware problems. He seems to be back now, so hopefully it'll start getting some updates soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Eeevil posted:

New Girls' Group No. 7 + Afterword. This one was pretty interesting.

Thanks! I love how just plain weird this series gets. A whole civilization emerging, evolving and disappearing in the span of a week seems like something I've seen somewhere before. Was it the Simpsons Halloween episode where Lisa (or someone?) grows a tiny civilization in a petri dish? Also the afterword was great.

quote:

Also found a manga that seems appropriate for this thread:

Shiharu Genesis is about a kind but somewhat clumsy middle school girl name Shiharu.

...Who also happens to be the reincarnation of Lucifer. Doesn't have a huge number of chapters, but it's a pretty good read so far.

Hmm, I would've dismissed this as "generic moé crap" based on the cover, were it not for that page. The Rube-Goldberg-esque butterfly effect chain was really fun to look at.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Eeevil posted:

Shiharu Genesis is about a kind but somewhat clumsy middle school girl name Shiharu.

...Who also happens to be the reincarnation of Lucifer. Doesn't have a huge number of chapters, but it's a pretty good read so far.
This is entertaining enough but sadly there haven't been any new chapters scanlated since February.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eeevil posted:

New Girls' Group No. 7 + Afterword. This one was pretty interesting.

This series is pretty great.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Flying Witch

No idea whats going on here but its quirky and I like the art/faces.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

.Clash posted:

Flying Witch

A pretty cool first chapter. I'll be following this.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

.Clash posted:

Flying Witch

Interesting! I liked the very nonchalant way that the reveal that the girl was a witch and could fly was handled. She was trying on her broom like a person trying on new shoes, and just did it in public without batting an eye.

I'm hoping that it gets even more quirky and strange. As it is, it definitely scores stronger on the everyday life side.

Don't read the oneshot unless you like the same premise but with 100% more "generic high school introspective light-novel sounding protagonist" and thigh-socks.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

~flying witch~ The transition from the broom flying to what happened afterwards was really drat jarring to me for some reason. Went back a few pages to make sure I didn't accidentally click forward one too many times or something.

But yeah I also found that first chapter pretty interesting and will probably read more.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Flying Witch -- I'm hooked. Thanks for the recommendation. I found the art style very similar to Yotsuba to mangaka's (Kiyohiko Azuma).

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Yeah, I like what I see of Flying Witch as well, hopefully it comes out at a decent pace.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Approximately nothing happened, yet I feel as though I enjoyed it anyway.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I was a bit unsure when it started with the "Teehee I'm an airhead!" but it won me over in the end.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So I read through all of what's available of Voynich hotel and while I enjoyed it I REALLY wish the stuff with Kuzuki and Elena was just... completely excised from the rest of the story. It's all really boring and creepy and pretty much anything involving any other set of characters was a lot more entertaining. Especially the drug dealers; I'd rather read a series about them or Olga and Andyroid over the Kuzuki/Elena stuff.

Poor Tamara

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dan7el posted:

Flying Witch -- I'm hooked. Thanks for the recommendation. I found the art style very similar to Yotsuba to mangaka's (Kiyohiko Azuma).
It is very eerily similar to Azuma's art.

Good start either way.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

.Clash posted:

Flying Witch

A promising first chapter. Thanks for introducing it!

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Dan7el posted:

Flying Witch -- [...] I found the art style very similar to Yotsuba to mangaka's (Kiyohiko Azuma).

Thirding this. But at the same time, the art felt a little... I can't even explain it. It feels as if the characters were modeled in 3D, were toon shaded and then traced on paper.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvpx4f_y-yyyyy-oad-y-yyyy-y-yyyyy_shortfilms#.UMf0N3c6Yr3

Cute Deities Doing Cute Things is upon us, though sadly still raw.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Sadly that's only the OVA that came with volume 8, not the movie (which is due May of next year). I'm watching it right now. It's pretty good so far, though it's a little obvious that the guys doing the voices for Jesus and Buddha aren't voice actors (especially Buddha). Watching a little more, yeah, it's definitely obvious these guys aren't voice actors by trade.

:lol: They did the sad animals offering themselves as food gag.

Finished it. It was alright but nothing outstanding. I felt like the manga did it better.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 12, 2012

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010

Rexides posted:

Thirding this. But at the same time, the art felt a little... I can't even explain it. It feels as if the characters were modeled in 3D, were toon shaded and then traced on paper.

Was thinking on commenting about that, the oneshot shows that the author can at least draw. Wonder what caused the art style switch?

Disposable Intern
Aug 26, 2008

.Clash posted:

Flying Witch

If anyone remembers the "Flying Girl" photoblog, this is pretty much how I imagined a manga of that girl would be: Normal world, except there's a girl who can fly and everyone is totally cool with that.

This'll be a regular read for me when more is translated. A flying girl manga would still be totally sweet, though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Hinamatsuri. A slice of life series about a girl with super powers and a Yakuza.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

tonberrytoby posted:

Hinamatsuri. A slice of life series about a girl with super powers and a Yakuza.

Haha! This is great!! Just the kind of thing I am looking for with this thread! I love how Hina always has that :geno: expression, even while doing the most ridiculous of things.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

I hate Yakuza stories, and the translation is terrible.

And yet, I can't stop reading. :yum:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mary Annette posted:

the translation is terrible.

Gosh, it really is.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

tonberrytoby posted:

Those translation notes. :stare:

But that speech was amazing.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

tonberrytoby posted:

This is a great series. Thanks for introducing it to us.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That was great. Any idea whether anymore is forthcoming? Preferably from someone else, given the quality of the translation.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
New chapters have been popping up pretty quickly on Batoto the past few days, so the quantity will probably continue to rise.

Edit: As if to illustrate my point, http://www.batoto.net/read/_/151841/hinamatsuri_v2_ch10.5_by_no-group popped up shortly after I posted.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 13, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favourite part of the series is how Hitomi gets haplessly dragged into all sorts of jobs and ends up excelling at all of them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

JosephWongKS posted:

My favourite part of the series is how Hitomi gets haplessly dragged into all sorts of jobs and ends up excelling at all of them.

I think she is currently my favorite character. The latest chapter was fantastic, and I look forward to more of this.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Hinamatsuri - http://mangafox.me/manga/hinamatsuri/v03/c012/1.html

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
So is Tonari no Seki-kun canceled or something? I was getting into that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hahaaa! The Nitta family is great - they're all boisterous and drunk. I had a big ol' dumb grin the whole time.

RE: Seki-kun -- maybe the group is just taking a leave of absence for a while. That sort of thing happens.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

.Clash posted:

Flying Witch

While looking for this manga on mangafox, I found out there was another manga named Flying Witch. It's a oneshot, it's pretty funny, and it is also "slice of life with some magic in it".

So here you go

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

WitchFetish posted:

While looking for this manga on mangafox, I found out there was another manga named Flying Witch. It's a oneshot, it's pretty funny, and it is also "slice of life with some magic in it".

So here you go

The one-shot you posted is the "Chapter 0" in .Clash's link.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Hinamatsuri is really good haha

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Tonari no Seki-kun, jumping all the way from Chapter 20 (the last scanslated chapter) to Chapter 29 - http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/c029/1.html

EDIT: Sekisaurus is best dinosaur.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

New Tonari no Seki-kun, jumping all the way from Chapter 20 (the last scanslated chapter) to Chapter 29 - http://mangafox.me/manga/tonari_no_seki_kun/c029/1.html

Wow, that was a particularly surreal chapter, especially the ending. And as always, it's so fun to see Yokoi get pulled into Seki's world.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

It's good to see something new from this again, and this is still the best thing. And we're off to a good start on silly, I can't wait to see what else is coming up.

Also, jumping from 20 to 29 is pretty odd. Where are these other eight chapters and what kind of amazing things are we not seeing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's probably because whoever scans them couldn't get volume 3 so they skipped to volume 4.

• Locked thread