Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

We've just taken to basically not making 101 rejections any more. Couple that with our new 112 6th practice (stuff like "a receiver configured to receive user input" is read as a "means for" limitation), and you throw in "well I have no loving idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to find" because a lot of the time, the disclosed structure is "a computer" and then I'm like "well, computers were known in the prior art" but is that a 101 or a 103 or what, and are we actually supposed to look at the corresponding structure or do I just ignore what the office is saying because it's dumb as hell?
I'm going to quote this the next time someone says that tax law is the most opaque area of law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

prussian advisor posted:

What state?

If it's Florida, PM me.

Washington.

I would start as an office drone manning a phone bank. When a field position opens up (RA2), I can move up to doing investigations and interviews of delinquent taxpayers. These seem to be the bulk of the tax people. RA3 folks are listed as basically regional support staff and RA4 are listed as regional chiefs.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
I got tired of trying to write this note doing my data analysis in Excel, so I decided to try R.... and holy hell stuff takes like 1/10th of the time to write in R as it did in Excel.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just wrote an e-mail turning down a job interview at a small firm; it was one of those ads where you can't see the name of the firm, and when I found out what sort of firm it was I wanted to get away as quickly as possible (tiny crim defence and personal injury firm, with bad reviews all over the internet). Didn't expect to turn down opportunities, but honestly I think I'd rather put up with the working conditions here than do that.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

We've just taken to basically not making 101 rejections any more. Couple that with our new 112 6th practice (stuff like "a receiver configured to receive user input" is read as a "means for" limitation), and you throw in "well I have no loving idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to find" because a lot of the time, the disclosed structure is "a computer" and then I'm like "well, computers were known in the prior art" but is that a 101 or a 103 or what, and are we actually supposed to look at the corresponding structure or do I just ignore what the office is saying because it's dumb as hell?

Boy am I glad I just signed my lease in Alexandria and get to learn about all of this in two weeks :v:. Oh well, at least I didn't go to law school.

UnpaidIntern
Nov 10, 2012

Agesilaus posted:

Just wrote an e-mail turning down a job interview at a small firm; it was one of those ads where you can't see the name of the firm, and when I found out what sort of firm it was I wanted to get away as quickly as possible (tiny crim defence and personal injury firm, with bad reviews all over the internet). Didn't expect to turn down opportunities, but honestly I think I'd rather put up with the working conditions here than do that.

How are you able to have standards in this legal market? Do you currently have a decent corporate gig? I interviewed at some law firms where they all but admitted they were committing fraud and I drat near took them up on their offer.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

In other words, I'd like to move to private practice, where at least I don't have to be confused as to what I'm supposed to do, as opposed to being confused as to what someone else is supposed to do.

Make the jump. The hours kinda suck but you don't have to beg for highlighters.

Seriously my office manager at the USPTO said no when I asked to get more than one highlighter from her locked drawer of supplies. And I didn't get to choose the color. What the hell?!?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

UnpaidIntern posted:

How are you able to have standards in this legal market? Do you currently have a decent corporate gig? I interviewed at some law firms where they all but admitted they were committing fraud and I drat near took them up on their offer.

Agesilaus is nothing if not a man of standards. He's doing the Dark Lord's work. Intangibles like keeping the helots in their place make up for a lot in working conditions.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

wacko_- posted:

Make the jump. The hours kinda suck but you don't have to beg for highlighters.

Seriously my office manager at the USPTO said no when I asked to get more than one highlighter from her locked drawer of supplies. And I didn't get to choose the color. What the hell?!?

I've literally been trying to get a job since I was hired five years ago.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

UnpaidIntern posted:

He has a government job.

DPD work defined: Someone broke into my car at lunch yesterday and there is probably a 50% chance I represented him or will represent him in the near future.
He only got a broken zune though, so jokes on him.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
The guy who hired me for my job for next summer died suddenly while on vacation with his family. He seemed really cool. :(

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 12, 2013

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

Boy am I glad I just signed my lease in Alexandria and get to learn about all of this in two weeks :v:. Oh well, at least I didn't go to law school.
These issues are frustrating for both examiners and prosecutors, but I think that patent examination is a good introduction to the field. It's also relatively low stress and, compared to other entry-level positions that only require a bachelor's, financially lucrative. If you do find after a couple of years that patent law is just too frustrating to make a career out of then, as you say, at least you didn't go to law school.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

MoFauxHawk posted:

The guy who hired me for my job for next summer died suddenly while on vacation with his family. He seemed really cool. :(

I had my boss die unexpectedly. It sucks and I feel for you bro. :(

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
Can I interview some of you patent examiners for my Note for how Bilski and Prometheus are beyond useless?

Just think! Your name in a footnote in an obscure article of an obscure journal that nobody reads!

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
sometime over break i misplaced my ability to get poo poo done

I've applied for two more jobs since getting my grades. I literally used a cover letter from before law school, find replaced "copyediting skills" with "legal research and writing," "planning on attending law school," with "currently attending law school."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

insanityv2 posted:

"currently attending law school."

Thank you for not putting "Juris Doctor expected, May 2015."

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
It says that on my business cards.

Yeah I'll go ahead and gently caress myself.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

joat mon posted:

Thank you for not putting "Juris Doctor expected, May 2015."

That's what my OCS told everyone to put.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

insanityv2 posted:

It says that on my business cards.

Yeah I'll go ahead and gently caress myself.

You can redeem this so long as your business cards are done in Comic Sans.

Because having business cards in law school is a loving joke.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

That's what my OCS told everyone to put.

I know. It bothered me a lot less once I found out it wasn't the students themselves responsible for this. Still, pretension and unquestioning edict-following are not high up on the list of qualities a PD's office looks for in interns.

What do the other lawgoons who look at resumes think?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

joat mon posted:

I know. It bothered me a lot less once I found out it wasn't the students themselves responsible for this. Still, pretension and unquestioning edict-following are not high up on the list of qualities a PD's office looks for in interns.

What do the other lawgoons who look at resumes think?

How else are you supposed to know what class level an applicant is? It's fine, it's an easy way for them to express that.

(I used to look at resumes and we would get them from 0-3Ls, so knowing actually mattered, since we refused to hire 0Ls and were exceedingly unlikely to hire 1Ls).

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Education

University of Failure (2008-2012)
Bachelor of Arts in Worthlessness

University of Blowjobs (2012-2015)
Juris Doctorate, Minor in Sodomy

do people really need to be told these things

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Your law schools have minors?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yes, in sodomy.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

The Warszawa posted:

pssh shows what you know. :smug: I had business cards made for myself on the advice of this illustrious individual:

http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comments/xpv47/should_you_go_to_law_school_probably_not_if_youre/

look he guaranteed me a job if i followed his steps. a guarantee! why would someone get on the internet and lie to me.

(No seriously Career Services made them for all the 1L's.)

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 13, 2013

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Two years before my 1L summer, the place where I worked 1L summer had a guy with business cards. They refer to him exclusively as "the intern that had business cards." Not in a good way!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

insanityv2 posted:

pssh shows what you know. :smug: I had business cards made for myself on the advice of this illustrious individual:

http://www.reddit.com/r/LawSchool/comments/xpv47/should_you_go_to_law_school_probably_not_if_youre/

look he guaranteed me a job if i followed his steps. a guarantee! why would someone get on the internet and lie to me.

(No seriously Career Services made them for all the 1L's.)

Unless you burnt them in front of Career Services like a draft card, you're doing it wrong.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

The Warszawa posted:

There were a couple people I can remember handing out business cards in 1L.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Having business cards is actually really handy and I give mine out a lot more than I expected to, but if I were paying to print my own, I'd probably just carry a notebook and tear pages out. Hope this helps.

That said, my primary use for them is for handing to the court reporter so my name is spelled right on the transcript, which overall is not a super awesome use of state printing resources, but whatevs.

Not James Buchanan
Jun 23, 2006

Not James Buchanan fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 2, 2013

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

insanityv2 posted:

sometime over break i misplaced my ability to get poo poo done
You'll probably want to fix this before the Spring academic semester starts to gear up if you want success at 2L OCI.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
My family was out to dinner last night with my cousin's new boyfriend, who was regaling us of his dreams of going into international law. I turn to my brother, also a lawyer, and go "Hey man, remember all those international law jobs we turned down?" "Oh yeah, those are a dime a dozen. Anyone can get a big firm law job. You'll be fine."

We're dicks.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

CaptainScraps posted:

My family was out to dinner last night with my cousin's new boyfriend, who was regaling us of his dreams of going into international law. I turn to my brother, also a lawyer, and go "Hey man, remember all those international law jobs we turned down?" "Oh yeah, those are a dime a dozen. Anyone can get a big firm law job. You'll be fine."

We're dicks.

Yeah, but who will be laughing when he sues you for promissory estoppel?

(the thread, the thread will be laughing)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Yeah, but who will be laughing when he sues you for promissory estoppel?

(the thread, the thread will be laughing)

Perhaps he should have made a safe harbor statement? :v:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
1L jokes, in my megathread?

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Roger_Mudd posted:

One time I was in DC after finishing my first 1L semester and I met a guy at a party who was a 1L at Georgetown, and somebody mentioned how we were both in law school and I said something like, "Yeah, torts, haha!" And I thought my intent was clear, but then the guy started expounding about torts and all the people who were in our conversation walked away after a little while.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 13, 2013

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Roger_Mudd posted:

I'm so incredibly happy that I'm far enough advanced in my post law school life that I don't have a single clue what that 1L joke means.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BigHead posted:

I'm so incredibly happy

I'm not sure I remember this emotion.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
No one is safe.

Ronak Soliemannjad posted:

The process has become more and more discouraging, especially since [employers] want experience, yet nobody is willing to give us this experience," said Ronak Soliemannjad, 26, who has been searching for a [position] since she graduated...

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/14/news/economy/nursing-jobs-new-grads/index.html?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_t2

Sweet sweet schadenfreude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lots of jobs die loved indeed :unsmigghh: