Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I feel like this isn't the first time Monobear broke the 4th wall. Did he ever do this is in the original Dangan Ronpa or something along those lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dogbutt posted:

I feel like this isn't the first time Monobear broke the 4th wall. Did he ever do this is in the original Dangan Ronpa or something along those lines?

Well, there was the time he literally showed us a trailer for another PSP game.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I got bored in Minecraft and decided my isolated mansion needed a little more DESPAIR.

Is that...?!

The Monosphere!

Currently in the process of installing many more deathtraps into the mansion (Redpower tubes that deploy TNT, Piston crushers, lava traps, electrocution, monster spawners, arrows) and deciding if the the Monosphere should be the control room or courthouse.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Miss Kalle posted:

Frankly I'm more amused at the fact that Monobear saw fit to give Hajime a lace canopy in his cottage, unless that's in everyone else's.

Pretty sure that's a mosquito net, yo.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

RoeCocoa posted:

Pretty sure that's a mosquito net, yo.

:cripes: I don't know why I wasn't thinking of that, other than my mind sees curtains like that and thinks 'canopy'. The fact that the valance looked scalloped to me at first glance didn't help.

But enough pedantry about bedding!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Oren, it appears that all these new rules have been appended to the end of the existing rules. Does this mean the first four rules are still there, unaltered? If so, I see two implications. First that Monobear is still unwilling to change any existing rule, even one he didn't write. Second, the condition about collecting all the hope shards is still in effect, meaning that unlike last game, there is a condition for everyone to get off the island if nobody kills anyone. There's obviously no way it'll get to that point, but I smell a secret ending.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Technically I think DR1 had a bonus ending too what with the school gate key you could get.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

If you go into the menu and check the rules, yes, the first four are still there. However:

1. The rules themselves say nothing about what happens when all the Hope Shards are gathered, just the the students are supposed to collect them. Usami mentioned leaving the island off-screen, and Hinata heard about it from the other students.
2. The rule says that "excessive" violence is forbidden. What's excessive is, of course, up to the person in charge.
3. Even disregarding that, Monobear's new rules seem to regard a murderer as someone who broke the rules. What they add is explicitly state how the situation will be handled. It specifically mentions "immunity" in case the rest of the students fail to identify a culprit.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

orenronen posted:

2. The rule says that "excessive" violence is forbidden. What's excessive is, of course, up to the person in charge.

What would Monobear consider 'excessive violence' anyway, if he has a definition for it at all?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RefinedUndefined posted:

What would Monobear consider 'excessive violence' anyway, if he has a definition for it at all?

Violence against bears.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

RefinedUndefined posted:

Killing more than two people I would bet.

It is a rather Monobear-way of following the rules while still having murders in the islands.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Violence against bears.

Of course... Wait, are there even bears here, or is it just him?

IceBorg posted:

Killing more than two people I would bet.

It is a rather Monobear-way of following the rules while still having murders in the islands.

Makes sense, and it could explain why that rule wasn't included like in the last game.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

RefinedUndefined posted:

Of course... Wait, are there even bears here, or is it just him?

Well, we are on a tropical island that nobody really remembers getting to that also has strange mechanical entities that live in its inner workings. Maybe we'll see a polar bear? :v:

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Well, we are on a tropical island that nobody really remembers getting to that also has strange mechanical entities that live in its inner workings. Maybe we'll see a polar bear? :v:

Maybe a later island will have a zoo or something then? :shrug:
Wait, a possible murder weapon then, either for Gundam or to frame him.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I also find it kind of interesting that the game hasn't been as blatant as the first with the potential weapons. Like DR1 had the cafeteria right from the start with it's nice sharp knives and the toolkits and sewing kits ready to cause carnage from the beginning. With the exception of I think some pointy things in the store there's been nothing here so far that really jumps out as a potential murder weapon. So I'm just as interested in how the kill happens as who does the deed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I want to see Gundam surrounded by his other pets in a style like The Last Supper

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

njsykora posted:

I also find it kind of interesting that the game hasn't been as blatant as the first with the potential weapons. Like DR1 had the cafeteria right from the start with it's nice sharp knives and the toolkits and sewing kits ready to cause carnage from the beginning. With the exception of I think some pointy things in the store there's been nothing here so far that really jumps out as a potential murder weapon. So I'm just as interested in how the kill happens as who does the deed.

orenronen posted:

This stand has military goods... Are those night-vision goggles?

What supermarket would carry these things?

Just because Monobear hasn't come right out and said "You can kill each other with these things!" doesn't mean the game hasn't been throwing references to stuff that could be used as murder implements. :v:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
In DR 1, did Chihiro get a hammer, or a sewing kit in the beginning? Or do we just never find out?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dogbutt posted:

I don't remember if he addressed the audience this directly before, but right from the start Monobear Theater was always kind of a weird semi-fourth wall breaking bit directed straight at the player so this isn't really a new development.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gensuki posted:

In DR 1, did Chihiro get a hammer, or a sewing kit in the beginning? Or do we just never find out?

A hammer. Let me see if I can find the line.

Edit: He doesn't mention the hammer specifically, but Monobear says, "Of course I gave him a boy’s Electronic Student ID Card! He was a boy in a dress, after all!"

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 13, 2013

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

Just because Monobear hasn't come right out and said "You can kill each other with these things!" doesn't mean the game hasn't been throwing references to stuff that could be used as murder implements. :v:

Man I really hope Hinata gets paranoid enought to grab that kickass Psycho Mantis mask so no one can kill him by gassing his room :tinfoil:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

frajaq posted:

Man I really hope Hinata gets paranoid enought to grab that kickass Psycho Mantis mask so no one can kill him by gassing his room :tinfoil:

I don't think Hinata himself will get that notion, but it wouldn't surprise me if one of the others got so insanely paranoid that they hoarded all supplies possible and locked themselves in their cottage. I mean, it would make a kind of crazy sense. And basically it would be what I would do in this situation. :tinfoil:
Also, I like that Hinata is a far less noble character than Naegi, in that he's actually thinking himself capable of killing one of the others, and he doesn't have any faith in the others to not all be thinking the same thing.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
See, that's thinking about things the wrong way. You're on an island filled with Super-High School Level people. There's no reason to think that anything you try is going to keep them out. And, if you single yourself out by isolating yourself from everyone else, know what you've just done? Painted a big-rear end target on your back that says "Please murder me!"

No, in a situation like this the best plan is to get in a group. Find a couple other people, it doesn't matter if you trust them or not, and stick with them like glue. Safety in numbers. As long as you never go down to less than three people, nobody can safely murder you and get away with it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Maybe it's just me not remembering the start of the first game very well, but wasn't Monobear way more...subtle about the whole "murder each other" thing? In DR1, he was a bit more coy, "you COULD stay here forever and live peaceful lives, y'know...", at least in the beginning. The overall feeling seemed to be "no one is really gonna have the guts, right?". This Monobear straight out goes for the jugular, "I just know you'll kill each other, better look over your shoulder, upupupupu".

As I said, maybe I'm misremembering, but it seems like we have a different attitude this time around.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!

Opposing Farce posted:

I don't remember if he addressed the audience this directly before, but right from the start Monobear Theater was always kind of a weird semi-fourth wall breaking bit directed straight at the player so this isn't really a new development.

Well, supposedly the first DR was televised, so addressing the audience was more him addressing a literal in-game audience.

This one went for straight fourth-wall smashing though. Not like his viewership purchased a game.
Just more evidence that the authors want to really screw with us this time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dias posted:

Maybe it's just me not remembering the start of the first game very well, but wasn't Monobear way more...subtle about the whole "murder each other" thing? In DR1, he was a bit more coy, "you COULD stay here forever and live peaceful lives, y'know...", at least in the beginning. The overall feeling seemed to be "no one is really gonna have the guts, right?". This Monobear straight out goes for the jugular, "I just know you'll kill each other, better look over your shoulder, upupupupu".

As I said, maybe I'm misremembering, but it seems like we have a different attitude this time around.
Yeah, but then they didn't kill eachother. He's just hopping ahead and skipping to giving everyone a motive now, instead of in a couple days when he gets bored.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Dias posted:

He'd play coy, but then he'd start blatantly pushing buttons, either with the notes about their dark secrets, video tapes of horrible things apparently happening to their loved ones, or the "Here's a pile of money, go for it." Then when someone snapped he'd get coy again; "it's not my fault you're all butchering each other. If you'd just accept staying here forever, why everything would be perfect!"

I think the change in attitude is because he's usurping the field trip rather than being able to set things up ahead of time like at the school. Just as him broadcasting the events at the school was to bring more DESPAIR to the world, the people behind the field trip were broadcasting things to do the opposite, to bring more HOPE into the world and whoever's behind Monobear is intent on screwing that up.

Since Usami recognized Monobear instantly, I have to wonder if the person behind the rabbit is one of the survivors from the school.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
I get the feeling that this group of survivors won't be as cooperative with each other as the group from the first game.

But despite all of his pessimism I find myself liking Hinata. I'm guessing his sidekick will be that High School Level Luck kid. Because they are polar opposites.

Flight of Fancy
Sep 8, 2012

orenronen posted:

...gently caress!
No pillows? I'd be pissed too!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Flight of Fancy posted:

No pillows? I'd be pissed too!
As it turns out, only half the huts are supplied with pillows, while the other half are supplied with sheets. This is Monobear's true first motive.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm expecting SHSL Luck to be the first victim. Remember what happened tithe character who was set up as your ally in DR1?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
So you're saying they'll pull the exact same thing here again.

Dejablue
Dec 25, 2012
His "talent" is Luck so I expect him to be lucky.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Stoat posted:

I'm expecting SHSL Luck to be the first victim. Remember what happened tithe character who was set up as your ally in DR1?

So bizarro Naegi is going to plan to murder someone?

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
...Perhaps he'll try to kill Togami, but fail and they'll wind up killing each other for the first case.

Well, I doubt that'll actually happen, but it's fun to think about at least.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Stoat posted:

I think he's saying that we're playing from Maizano's perspective. We're set up to be Nagito's ally, and we're going to try to kill him.

Sep 9, 2010

Dejablue posted:

His "talent" is Luck so I expect him to be lucky.

The last guy who's talent was Luck was always lucky in roundabout, unlucky ways. It might be "lucky" to be the first one murdered so you don't have to deal with the rest of the hardships to come.

I'm not saying I think that's going to happen, I'm just saying this isn't a very good argument.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

8678541 posted:

The last guy who's talent was Luck was always lucky in roundabout, unlucky ways. It might be "lucky" to be the first one murdered so you don't have to deal with the rest of the hardships to come.

I'm not saying I think that's going to happen, I'm just saying this isn't a very good argument.

I still can't help but feel that Dangan Ronpa 2 is a way to round out the Dangan Ronpa experience. Togami kills someone, Protagonist kills someone, maybe SHSL Luck kills someone.

Three experiences that were greatly anticipated during the first game, but failed to come to any sort of fruition (Togami's heart growing three sizes that day when Sakura offed herself doesn't count as fruition).

Maybe even have SHSL Gamer kill SHSL York Morgan as a bonus prize.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

orenronen posted:

The moment I entered my cottage, I collapsed on the bed.

...Why the gently caress is this happening?!

I was so troubled, I just yelled at myself...

I didn't want to see anyone else anymore. If only I could stay here, alone, forever...

Seriously, what is actually stopping this from happening. Why can't one just stay in their room all day other than when they eat and poop? It's not like it's even a windowless soul-sucking environment this time! There's a pretty ocean to look at! (And no one is going to break into your cottage, either, because destroying stuff is forbidden...)

E: Maybe the Gamer will start hoarding games in her room and just become a full-fledged unstable SHSL Hikkikomori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Just like last time, the game-breaking strategy isn't "hide alone in your room", it's "stay in a big group in the place where the food is, only sending people away from the group in pairs, never letting more than one pair leave at a time.

• Locked thread