Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Only real alternative to Usenet/Torrents are LINUX ISO forums. People will upload to file storage sites like rapidshare and people download from there. Only problem is the storage sites will push you to get a premium account and cap the amount of data/files you can download each hour.

FTP is another option but getting access to the good ones requires knowledge and getting invited. In general, don't expect to get anything automated like usenet or bittorrent.

You can always try returning to P2P, expect to deal with a shitload of fake files and viruses (plus you'll be tracked).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

No seriously, Astraweb, the service my ISP uses just has so much missing. Its a write-off.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

There's your answer, switch to a different provider.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

chunkles posted:

Woah seriously? Is it like, fradulent or something? I just bought an astraweb block plan as a backup last night. It's listed as "2buysafe.com" so maybe their block billing is different from subscription billing. Either way that's not very impressive.

As was said earlier, it's probably fine, but they used to use 2checkout and the newer service has a lot of hate based on a cursory Google search. I took the opportunity to jump ship to SuperNews for a couple of bucks less monthly, which leads me to my question:

SuperNews' TOS forbids connecting through a proxy. Are they serious about that, or is it like their "excessive use" prohibition? I like to connect through a VPN when using less than trustworthy networks.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

BigBadBrewsta posted:

Could be. But I tried Blocknews and had the same speeds, and I've downloaded all of ~300 MB from Blocknews over the past 6 months. Of course, I am sure there's someone else out there who may have downloaded a ton from Blocknews. They've probably gotten to all the major providers. I guess it's either deal with slower speeds or pony up for VPN.

One of Giganews more expensive packages comes with a VPN.

Also just saw this comes with a VPN and it's on offer right now, $7 a month: http://newsgroupdirect.com/unlimited-usenet

Kind of tempted to try that out myself, don't know how it will compare to Astraweb, since its a Highwinds reseller.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 13, 2013

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ive got a 500GB blocknews account, whats a good alternative block provider to supplement with?

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I'm on "UsenetServer", where should I get a block account to cover all bases.
Would probably need <20gb month, hopefully cheap.
Speed isn't an issue because i have Australian Internet so its always going to be below 400kb /s

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Astraweb, people! ASTRAWEB!

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

Red Robin Hood posted:

Astraweb, people! ASTRAWEB!

duck monster posted:

No seriously, Astraweb, the service my ISP uses just has so much missing. Its a write-off.

??

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I believe the thread has reached the consensus of "Anything but Astraweb"

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Actually, I was really happy with astraweb for years. No real problems with missing articles at all. I only jumped ship due to the processor change and might even end up with a block plan for backup. I don't know what issue the rest of the thread has with them unless you're all hitting nzbs affected by DMCA takedowns or something.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I used Astraweb for a few years without any problems. Only cancelled because I wasn't downloading much and switched to blocknews for awhile. I'm now on supernews and it's been treating me pretty well.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Who else is around that is recommended, allows for 20+ connections, and cheap as gently caress? Interested in unlimited only.

UsenetServer?
XenNews?
Supernews?

I'm open to suggestions, deals, etc.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm pretty happy with supernews. Bought the year and I have a blocknews backup. No real problems other than the occasional takedowns which seem universal.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Who else is around that is recommended, allows for 20+ connections, and cheap as gently caress? Interested in unlimited only.

UsenetServer?
XenNews?
Supernews?

I'm open to suggestions, deals, etc.

I'm with UsenetServer and have had almost everything work, recently my copies of a student film about short people in NZ and a retelling of a story about a former president haven't downloaded but everything else is fine.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Any that are not as well known that offer insane discounts? I got blocknews as a back up already. Just curious since I was happy with astraweb for years but, meh, I think I'll move on.

Edit: I'll still take suggestions but for the time being, GateheaD, you got a referral ID?

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 14, 2013

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Any that are not as well known that offer insane discounts? I got blocknews as a back up already. Just curious since I was happy with astraweb for years but, meh, I think I'll move on.

Edit: I'll still take suggestions but for the time being, GateheaD, you got a referral ID?

My username on it is gatehead, but I don't think they do referrals...

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Popped up during sign up so I figured wutevs. Trying it based on your word. Mainly because I enjoy your avatar.

Edit: Nope, saying it must be numeric. Moving along~~

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Oh they want the customer ID, which saves me $10 off next bill which I probably wont be paying anyway. Nevermind.

I googled UsenetServer Cheap and found this link https://usenetserver.com/partners/index.php I know I personally pay $95 a year

stevesy
Aug 6, 2011

BYAAAAH
Does anyone know where I can find the new keys to the usenet efnet irc chans? Specifically to #alt.binaries.hdtv.x264 and #alt.binaries.teevee, thank you

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

duck monster posted:

I'm also using astraweb and recently had some stuff fail. I'm wondering if it because I'm downloading oldish stuff that was DMCAed or if Astraweb is having difficulties?

Should I be expecting missing articles of things approx 500 days old? They advertise 1600 days of retention of their website.

I will probably go to supernews anyway as soon as my sub ends at the end of this month

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to tell Sickbeard to have stuff organize like this:

D:\TV\Show Name\Season 1\filename.avi

Instead of this random crap I am getting like

D:\TV\45 random files all over the place

or

D\TV\Show Name\Random crap all over the place; sometimes in a Season 01 folder, sometimes in a S01 folder, sometimes in no folder at all

?

It is making XBMC find this stuff a MAJOR pain in the rear end.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Is there any way to tell Sickbeard to have stuff organize like this:

Under Config -> Post Processing, set the Naming Pattern

I use this: Season %0S/%SN - S%0SE%0E - %EN

Make sure "flatten folders" isn't checked in the show's settings.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

crm posted:

Under Config -> Post Processing, set the Naming Pattern

I use this: Season %0S/%SN - S%0SE%0E - %EN

Make sure "flatten folders" isn't checked in the show's settings.

Yo I love you.

I had SickBeardtoSAB.exe or whatever doing this for me and it was just dumping everything anywhere it saw fit. This fixed it; and I thank you. :*

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yo I love you.

I had SickBeardtoSAB.exe or whatever doing this for me and it was just dumping everything anywhere it saw fit. This fixed it; and I thank you. :*

I am your magical internet support gnome

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
As for that Astraweb thing; I checked my server settings and I'm running astraweb with a blocknews account for backup. Almost everything is comming from either the eu or us astraweb server. No problems whatsoever, but that is all 0 day stuff.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

When NZBMatrix was shut down, there was talk of a goon NZB server. Is that still a possibility, or has everyone pretty much gravitated towards rolling their own with Newznab?

Actually we've got the hardware, and are looking to get the server into the hosting center very shortly.

We're still trying to gauge goon interest-- a helpful goon has already bought up a domain, and we've got people onboard for the front end coding etc.

PM me if you're interested, so we can sort of gauge how many users we might wind up with.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 14, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I would love to utilize GAS CURES KIKES all purpose nzb emporium and extravaganza.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Let's try not to openly talk about goonzb.com :ssh:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Yeah guys, the Something Awful Forums Usenet thread is no place for talking about the goon-run NZB indexer project. Shame on you, dicks.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yeah guys, the Something Awful Forums Usenet thread is no place for talking about the goon-run NZB indexer project. Shame on you, dicks.

I actually feel like it's not a huge deal to talk about it in here.

I don't think SHSC is public, and we're not going to be handing out the invites in the thread or anything. We do need to gauge user interest, and kind of talk a bit about costs (So we can cover the costs that have already been spent, and hosting) and also how to run this project without it being to the detriment of the SA community.. For instance, requiring X amount of time registered before allowing registration w/ the project to avoid any WHERE DA NZB'S AT?? sorta thing from happening.

There are some pretty simple technical implementations to do this that have been used successfully by other goon projects.

The goal really is a good solid reliable NZB indexer that has a small but active community and plenty of features but SA members only access. Some costs we're looking at is right around $600 a year or so for hosting + recouping the hardware costs eventually. (A very generous member bought the SSD's and mobo/proc needed for all this)

If we can get 100 users, which I think should be more than easy, we can run this thing pretty darn cheap with very small donations from the overall userbase. This isn't a money making enterprise or anything like that, just looking to create a private goon only solution for NZB indexing so that we don't have to deal with the constant indexer takedowns and lovely communities at a lot of different indexers.

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Make sure we have user comments, all the sites I'm a member of don't have the feedback about quality/complete files as nzbmatrix did.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
I am setting up a local NewzNab server for private use and I can't quite figure out how to run the NewzNab update scripts on a schedule, like every 12 hours or once a day. Unfortunately I think I may be missing something about how those scripts work. Any help? Can't find anything on these free indexers that I want.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

St. Blaize posted:

I am setting up a local NewzNab server for private use and I can't quite figure out how to run the NewzNab update scripts on a schedule, like every 12 hours or once a day. Unfortunately I think I may be missing something about how those scripts work. Any help? Can't find anything on these free indexers that I want.

What OS are you using?

I'm using Ubuntu as my host OS, and installed Gnome Schedule to run my update scripts. It's just a GUI to crontab. I modified the newznab_screen_local.sh script to run through once rather than on a constant loop, then scheduled it to run a couple of times a day. It works well!

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Those of you who are using an unlimited subscription with one of the domestics and a block-account with one of the Holland providers, are you just downloading things that have been recently posted?

I ask because my roommate and I have between us a Giganews account (Supernews), a Highwinds account (Newshosting), and a Holland account (XSUsenet), and we're still getting incompletes on older postings. Current stuff downloads fine, but when we try to grab Linux ISOs from a year or two ago (and well within our retentions), it fails.

You guys that are reporting success, could you try some older stuff?

Muppet Danny Brown
Sep 24, 2006

Smell like a penguin

kbar posted:

Those of you who are using an unlimited subscription with one of the domestics and a block-account with one of the Holland providers, are you just downloading things that have been recently posted?

I ask because my roommate and I have between us a Giganews account (Supernews), a Highwinds account (Newshosting), and a Holland account (XSUsenet), and we're still getting incompletes on older postings. Current stuff downloads fine, but when we try to grab Linux ISOs from a year or two ago (and well within our retentions), it fails.

I've run into this too. Somebody* is going hog wild with DMCA takedowns. This looks like the future of Usenet unfortunately. You need to get your ISOs the day they come out, or not at all. I can't see a way around barring a coordinated effort to repost content weekly.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

kbar posted:

I noticed this as well, I'm using Astraweb and some well known linux ISOS from hundreds of years ago are getting missing articles quite often.

I'd be very very interested by a GAS CURES KIKES idea and willing to donate a bit to help.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

moron posted:

What OS are you using?

I'm using Ubuntu as my host OS, and installed Gnome Schedule to run my update scripts. It's just a GUI to crontab. I modified the newznab_screen_local.sh script to run through once rather than on a constant loop, then scheduled it to run a couple of times a day. It works well!

I am running a Ubuntu 12.04 headless server. Do you have any further info on modifying newznab_screen_local.sh?

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

moron posted:

What OS are you using?

Is there a reason why you decided to do it this way instead of running in a constant loop in a screen?

I find that my database doesn't get poo poo on as hard when I'm updating it in little bites instead of large chunks, and it works better with sickbeard this way (because what it's expecting to be there actually is there instead of waiting on a DB to stop crunching away at releases for linux iso's).

...then again I'm running on a headless RHEL box that does my routing and my usenet indexing, so I don't need it for much else.

St. Blaize posted:

I am running a Ubuntu 12.04 headless server. Do you have any further info on modifying newznab_screen_local.sh?

He's modified the screen script to remove the looping aspect (the while loop) and then set it up as a cronjob. If your box is headless, any reason why you don't want to just let it run? Headers are headers and you're going to be pulling them one way or another, so it's not like you're going to be saving bandwidth doing it the way you want to do it.

originalnickname fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

originalnickname posted:

He's modified the screen script to remove the looping aspect (the while loop) and then set it up as a cronjob. If your box is headless, any reason why you don't want to just let it run? Headers are headers and you're going to be pulling them one way or another, so it's not like you're going to be saving bandwidth doing it the way you want to do it.

Well it is not a dedicated newznab box, I have sabnzbd and couch potato currently running as well and plan to use it as a file server. I am not sure what kind of issues I will run into if any while running all of this together. Does the newznab_screen_local.sh script use a lot of resources run default?

Edit:

Looks like I can use newznab_ubuntu.sh as an init script and change the interval to be more than every 10 minutes. Sound right? Avoid Cron and all that as well as using a script written for it.

St. Blaize fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 15, 2013