Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

LargeHadron posted:

First time taking camera out in a long time. Photographing people's not-smiling heads is the only thing that interests me right now.

DSC02926 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02918 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC02991 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Untitled by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Love the third one, you got enough light on her eyes to make them pop really nicely. First one seems the most awkward for me, probably the posture/head tilt that's throwing it off.

Second one is neat for a headshot, I'd be happy to have a picture like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Cross post from PAD because I'm a whore.

A little tableau of my friends bohemian lifestyle, tried to process this like three times and I ended up starting again three times. Still not 100%, think I need to bring the window down, the lack of detail in the far wall bothers me too.
EDIT: >:(

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 9, 2013

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

You'd better edit in the histogram before you get probated

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

LargeHadron posted:

First time taking camera out in a long time. Photographing people's not-smiling heads is the only thing that interests me right now.

DSC02991 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Love this one, tonality is perfect. this style of headshot always really appeals to me for some reason.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

What's going on with her toe?

To contribute:
Natural light

And something a little different:

The photo itself, especially composition wise, is weak at best. But I'm proud of my postprocessing. I actually have a tutorial up on this if anyone is interested.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

sw1gger posted:

To contribute:
Natural light

And something a little different:

The photo itself, especially composition wise, is weak at best. But I'm proud of my postprocessing. I actually have a tutorial up on this if anyone is interested.

You should post that tutorial.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

sw1gger posted:

I had a black bed sheet on the floor and it folded up and covered her toe. This whole set of photos was her idea. She wanted to do a fashion show or something. I just told her where to stand and to do whatever she wanted.

Have some more:

2013-2 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-4 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-5 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-3 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I like this one best:

2013-8 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
TomR all of those are really good, but I especially love the second one in that post, just the way her head is tossed back with her hair up is such a great capture.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Reichstag posted:

TomR all of those are really good, but I especially love the second one in that post, just the way her head is tossed back with her hair up is such a great capture.

I agree. Excellent shots.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Amy by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

This is a family.

351B6972 by francography, on Flickr

351B6790 by francography, on Flickr

351B6754 by francography, on Flickr

And a bonus picture, their grandma :O

351B6805 by francography, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

somnambulist posted:

This is a family.

These might be good, but it's hard to tell without seeing the histo.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/image-histogram/kgefpfienchbbehcjnmbmogdigoedhaj?hl=en

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

somnambulist posted:

This is a family.

These are great! The expressions in some of them are fantastic. You've managed to avoid any dark shadowing of people by other people - what's your lighting setup like?

I did a similar shoot with my own family when I was home for Christmas with two umbrellas like this:

Family portrait lighting setup by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Here are some of the results:

DSCF0131-Edit by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF0269 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF0262-Edit by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF0284 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Two of those have had their backgrounds replaced - something I did while I was learning - can you tell which is which?

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

David Pratt posted:

Here are some of the results:

DSCF0131-Edit by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF0269 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF0262-Edit by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF0284 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Two of those have had their backgrounds replaced - something I did while I was learning - can you tell which is which?
The second and fourth ones?

Also, TomR - The grandmother photo has too much glare in her glasses.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

sw1gger posted:

I agree, somnambulist should try harder next time.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

David Pratt posted:

These are great! The expressions in some of them are fantastic. You've managed to avoid any dark shadowing of people by other people - what's your lighting setup like?

Haha, this was a very challenging shoot.

a) it was shot in their kitchen and it was VERY cramped. I brought my backdrop and stand but there was no room.

grace_family by francography, on Flickr

This shot in particular was the hardest. I had to clone out a door frame and old linoleum floor from the bottom of the frame. Some people might notice, but i think it looks pretty good overall.

I used 3 lights, same set up as you, with a light in the back to light up the background since all the people standing near the back were casting a shadow on the wall.

Lots of shots ended up with people in shadow but i arranged them to minimize this and asked them to scoot forward when they needed to. With the adults it was easy, but getting the adults set up while the kids were still interested in taking photos was.........hard.

The before:

351B6910-2 by francography, on Flickr

My 3 light set up worked for everyone and all the group shots except this last one :(

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2013

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Jesus... I don't envy that post job. I hope you were paid well for that.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Great post work, but I can't stop looking at that floating chair leg.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

dakana posted:

Jesus... I don't envy that post job. I hope you were paid well for that.

Nope. This is my friends family and I didnt NEED to do this amount of post, but I hate sending off work that im not happy with. I feel....dirty. This session only got me 150 bucks. Oh well. I'm hoping I get some referrals out of it and I charge much much more for on location portrait sessions :-p Usually with friends I charge about this much, but lately I've been reconsidering this philosophy. I could be making much more money. It's a good thing I have a real job because im horrible with pricing myself as a photographer.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

T-Rich like a motherfucker!

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

AceClown posted:

needs more blown highlights, bump the exposure up a couple stops

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

AceClown posted:

you can dodge the corners a bit to avoid some vignette.

source: I am terry richardson.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I think it's quite nice as it is :frogbon:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Paragon8 posted:

you can dodge the corners a bit to avoid some vignette.

source: I am terry richardson.

If anything I would say even up the vignetting on each corner and maybe increase it a bit.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, it's either or really.

but it's a nice start. the greys make it all a bit flat.

I did a quick mock up because i'm hella bored but imgur won't upload it.

online photo storage

Forgive me for the quick body shape too, I've been editing all day and it's instinct at this point. She didn't need it at all.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Reichstag posted:

If anything I would say even up the vignetting on each corner and maybe increase it a bit.

whereismyshoe posted:

needs more blown highlights, bump the exposure up a couple stops

Lets do both!!!

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

AceClown posted:

Lets do both!!!

Top one looks way better. I'd probably up the blacks and/or contrast a little, too :) Well done!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah pushing the whites up helps make her skin look better too

SLCGoth
Nov 8, 2009
First shoot of 2013. This was my favorite from the bunch.

(Posting one of the smaller versions from Imgur, the original size looked a little large for the forums)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Couples shoot:

IMG_9934_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_9910-2_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Wish he had his hands up on the second one.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

CarrotFlowers posted:

Couples shoot:

IMG_9934_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_9910-2_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Wish he had his hands up on the second one.

Personal taste here but would you consider cloning out the buttons? They are very reflective/contrasty and pull the eyes away. Solid work though!

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

sw1gger posted:

Or perhaps not enough!

Not my photo, but I wish it were.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

sw1gger posted:

The second and fourth ones?

First and third :q:

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

David Pratt posted:

First and third :q:

Welp, at least I was consistent in my wrongfulness!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Oprah Haza posted:

Personal taste here but would you consider cloning out the buttons? They are very reflective/contrasty and pull the eyes away. Solid work though!

Yeah, I was debating on that for a while actually. I ended up leaving them in just because I thought the jackets might look odd without them, but I should reduce the highlights on them to make them less noticeable.

And while I'm here, might as well post some little people:

IMG_0281_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_0027_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

CarrotFlowers posted:

Yeah, I was debating on that for a while actually. I ended up leaving them in just because I thought the jackets might look odd without them, but I should reduce the highlights on them to make them less noticeable.

And while I'm here, might as well post some little people:

IMG_0281_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_0027_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

I'd fix the red/magenta feet in the first one. Otherwise, well shot.

Second one is lit and processed well, but for future baby shoots you may want to consider putting the baby's right arm UNDER their cheek/chin. This would have allowed you to see the whole face, versus having it partially blocked by the arm. Source: I've photographed hundreds of babies. Judging from the size of the kid, I'd place them at around 3 months or younger (though I wouldn't be surprised if they were a newborn,but my god, what a huge baby then). After about two weeks of age, it becomes harder and harder to pose them as they sleep, so this could have very well been your issue here.

To contribute:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

sw1gger posted:

To contribute:

Out of curiosity why did you choose to frame this horizontally?

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Paragon8 posted:

Honestly, horizontally is just my default. Why? Probably because most of the visual mediums we as an audience are exposed to today are closer to this framing than a vertical one. Or maybe because it's closer to how we actually see as people? Not sure...

That said, I think the photo itself lends itself the flexibility to be cropped as both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

sw1gger posted:

Probably because most of the visual mediums we as an audience are exposed to today are closer to this framing than a vertical one.

desktop backgrounds