Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PikaPuff
Mar 6, 2010

STOP POSTING!
So many pages...
these threads move so fast!
Uh, put together and played super dungeon explore just now. Um, it's quite terrible? Super complicated with no good documentation of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Is there a reason to buy two of the Star Wars LCG cores like there is for the other LCGs?

I am not too familiar with the deck building mechanic.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LumberingTroll posted:

Is there a reason to buy two of the Star Wars LCG cores like there is for the other LCGs?

I don't know anything about the Star Wars LCG, but the answer is going to be "probably." I doubt FFG changed their policies in regards to not printing 3 of every card in the core and every LCG has a different level of "need," but you should play the game a bit and see if there's any longevity before you invest another $30 for some cards you want more copies of (and the option to build more decks, I guess). That is, if you're playing with your one core set, and think to yourself, "I'd like more of these cards to expand my deckbuilding options," then by all means go and get another core if that is worth $30 to you.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

LumberingTroll posted:

Two cores will get you two of each objective set, which is the maximum you can have in a deck, and is pretty necessary for competitive play. That said, you also only need two cores to have every available option for deck building, which is nice for my OCD completionism.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

LumberingTroll posted:

Unlike Netrunner, which is "Probably 2, maybe 3", Star Wars is "Probably 2, never 3".

The core comes with 1 of each objective set (2 of some), and you can have a max of 2 of any given set in a deck.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Thanks guys. I wish FFG core sets had everything like the expansion decks but its still way cheaper than any ccg.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PikaPuff posted:

Uh, put together and played super dungeon explore just now. Um, it's quite terrible? Super complicated with no good documentation of anything.

I had fun playing it the first time, and then not again afterwards. It takes too long, and there's not enough diversity in your objectives. I didn't really think it was too complicated but I was playing it with someone who had the rules down really well and I didn't have to look through the book myself.

Devlan Mud posted:

Two cores will get you two of each objective set, which is the maximum you can have in a deck, and is pretty necessary for competitive play. That said, you also only need two cores to have every available option for deck building, which is nice for my OCD completionism.

Unfortunately there are a few singleton cards in the Core Set, but a number of them are cards you wouldn't want to have more than two of in a deck anyway, so there isn't much of an incentive to buy a third core set unless you wanted to just put it aside for demoing purposes or something.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

S.J. posted:

Unfortunately there are a few singleton cards in the Core Set, but a number of them are cards you wouldn't want to have more than two of in a deck anyway, so there isn't much of an incentive to buy a third core set unless you wanted to just put it aside for demoing purposes or something.

You're talking about Netrunner (max 3 of any card in a deck, core comes with some 3x, some 2x, some 1x, also has the shared neutrals issue). He's talking about Star Wars (max 2 of each objective set in a deck, core comes with 1x of most objectives and 2x of some, no shared neutrals problem).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dominion posted:

You're talking about Netrunner (max 3 of any card in a deck, core comes with some 3x, some 2x, some 1x, also has the shared neutrals issue). He's talking about Star Wars (max 2 of each objective set in a deck, core comes with 1x of most objectives and 2x of some, no shared neutrals problem).

Deeerrrrrppp :commissar:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I had a good day of gaming today, even managed to teach Twilight Struggle in the tail end of the meetup as well. Got to play 1846 (one of the better 18XX for newbies, it's a lot of fun), then I played Dungeon Petz, which didn't go too well and I seemed to be struggling all game although it was still awesome fun and finally I played Agricola. which went pretty well!

I came second in all three games. I seem to have some sort of 2nd place curse because no matter what I always seem to come second place in most games I play. Weird.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

I came second in all three games. I seem to have some sort of 2nd place curse because no matter what I always seem to come second place in most games I play. Weird.

Would you like to play chess for money?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

Would you like to play chess for money?
The exception seems to be 1v1 games, but I'm still pretty poo poo at Chess.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Some friends and I played Twilight Imperium today (first time for me and several others in the group) and I can highly recommend it! I think the most impressive (and surprising) thing about it was that, for a game with such a large number of different things going on and components, the mechanics come together extremely well to keep the game moving and advance it towards a conclusion. It never felt like too long passed between each player having something to do either, and even players who were getting pretty thoroughly stomped at some points managed to regroup and at least partially get back in the game. I'd also say that the mechanics themselves aren't nearly as complicated as one might assume - it's a lot more accessible than the size of the box and the number of pieces might indicate.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Not sure if you guys remember the gaming table I'm building, but I figure it's time to post a little update on my progress. We've been playing on it as it was (just a hard MDF surface, but I finally got around to ordering a bunch of 1/4" foam, and nylon velvet speed cloth (I guess it's what goes on poker tables?) to give it a proper playing surface.

Here's the table as you last saw it

I picked up some 3/16" hardboard, cut to the size of the tabletop, a staplegun, 3M spray adhesive, and got to work. Tons of spray adhesive holds the foam to the hardboard, yet more holds the cloth to the foam, and then the excess cloth is pulled over the bottom and stapled to keep it nice and tight. This whole insert fits perfectly in the tabletop's borders.

Laying the hardboard out on the foam. After the glue set the excess foam was trimmed off.

Applying a generous coat of spray adhesive to hold the speed cloth on

Speed cloth laid out for gluing as well

After the cloth was applied I smoothed out any ripples or bubbles

No clamps big enough for the job so basement junk did the trick

It was too late to pick up a new staplegun so I had to settle for test fitting the surface upside down last night

This morning we got to stapling and trimming off the excess cloth

And it fits perfectly!

Finally, I took a 1x8" pine board, cut it into 7" lengths and we cut one end of each piece to a 46 degree angle. There were screwed on to the corners, and the cupholders were screwed to them. Now all that is left is to put on several coats of Dark Brown Briwax and it should be complete!

The Shopsmith set for the angled cuts

Made a couple extras in case I gently caress up

Corner installed with cupholders

This is the wax, with one coat on a piece of scrap pine. I think it will go great with the dark green top

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Well I have a bunch of games due on Wednesday/Thursday.

Quarriors and two expansions I think my adult son and I will like this
Tzolk'in and the Mayan Calendar I have played this twice now and enjoyed it although it's pretty low on the interactive scale
Suburbia I played this once and did really bad but I think I can do better next time
Lancaster I played this before and enjoyed it, but I couldn't find three-four players to play it with. Found them and the game was 45% off, so bought again.

I'm a Euro player and thought Nightfall was the worst example of Kingmaking I'd ever seen, but it has its fans.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

pbpancho posted:

Not sure if you guys remember the gaming table I'm building, <>

That looks seriously awesome. I've got a gamer friend who is pretty woodwork-handy, your table project is going to inspire me to go in on something like this with him. Can't wait to see your final result!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

pbpancho posted:

Not sure if you guys remember the gaming table I'm building, but I figure it's time to post a little update on my progress. We've been playing on it as it was (just a hard MDF surface, but I finally got around to ordering a bunch of 1/4" foam, and nylon velvet speed cloth (I guess it's what goes on poker tables?) to give it a proper playing surface.

Looks great.

Are you going to shove legs on it? It looks like you're setting it on top of a smaller table for now, is that how it's going to stay?

How much would you estimate this has set you back altogether in wood?

I'm in the middle of making a workbench, and your pictures are sorely tempting me to make a gaming table as my next project.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 14, 2013

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Lorini posted:

Well I have a bunch of games due on Wednesday/Thursday.

Quarriors and two expansions I think my adult son and I will like this
Tzolk'in and the Mayan Calendar I have played this twice now and enjoyed it although it's pretty low on the interactive scale
Suburbia I played this once and did really bad but I think I can do better next time
Lancaster I played this before and enjoyed it, but I couldn't find three-four players to play it with. Found them and the game was 45% off, so bought again.

I'm a Euro player and thought Nightfall was the worst example of Kingmaking I'd ever seen, but it has its fans.

You got my hopes up that my CSI order had finally shipped after all those Hot Games were delayed :(

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Mage Knight is fun, and it's really fun solo, which says alot for a game (as playing solo is quite sad and lonely). There's a solo version on Vassal currently, so at least now I don't have to break stuff out and put it away in a display of shame and misery.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Hey DC folks, I've been talking with Dominion about a meetup at Labyrinth Games on Thursday, 1/24. Two weeks from now -- think about it!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Got to play some Smash Up today. Three games, I think. Alien Ninjas, Alien Wizards, and Wizard Pirates. I don't know if I got bad decks or didn't really clue in to the strategy of the game, but it just wasn't much fun to me. It's quick, though so that's a plus. A lot of the cards were humorous as well. Also played my first game of Power Grid on the USA board. Didn't have much fun with this either. We played with 6, and it dragged a bit too much, especially since the game mechanics weren't all that intriguing to me. It seems like a good game, but not necessarily something I'd want to play again. I got to build a bunch of cities one turn, and that was a lot of fun. The rest of the game just felt like making sure I was making money and incrementally growing my power output. Ended up coming in third. I think the best strategy is to operate on a small number of cities early on and get the plants that power the most cities. Once you can power enough to win, just build a bunch of cities. Resources always ended up cheap, so the guy who used this strategy won pretty handily. Not really a flaw, I guess because the second place guy had a different strategy.

The group I meet up with usually ends up with 5 or 6 people, which ends up being a little inconvenient, at least for me. I haven't had a lot of fun with the higher player games, mainly the 2-4 ones. But people get left out that way, so that's no good.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Power Grid doesn't work really well with 6 since it goes on too long; try it with 4-5. If you just want the game to go faster, play on the Benelux map.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Moogs posted:

Hey DC folks, I've been talking with Dominion about a meetup at Labyrinth Games on Thursday, 1/24. Two weeks from now -- think about it!

I'll probably come. What are ya'll wanting to play?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

camoseven posted:

I'll probably come. What are ya'll wanting to play?

Well, it's labyrinths board game night so whatever is around and people want to play, really. Ill certainly bring Netrunner and Star Wars decks. I could bring castles of burgundy, galaxy trucker, or some other stuff as well.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dominion posted:

Well, it's labyrinths board game night so whatever is around and people want to play, really. Ill certainly bring Netrunner and Star Wars decks. I could bring castles of burgundy, galaxy trucker, or some other stuff as well.

Oh sweet, I really wanna try the Star Wars LCG. I probably can't get there til around 6. I know Labyrinth gets packed quickly for FNM, is it like that for the board game night, too?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If you guys want to do another night for LCGs I would be down for that as well. I was thinking either Monday/Tues or Weds in particular because those days are the slowest days pretty much anywhere and having something to look forward to on the crappier nights of the week owns.

I'll probably become a regular at Labrynth board game nights regardless of what we decide with LCGs.

What day are trivia nights usually held? Is it Monday or Tuesday?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
/\/\ I'd be down for that. I think the goon trivia is on Mondays.

camoseven posted:

Oh sweet, I really wanna try the Star Wars LCG. I probably can't get there til around 6. I know Labyrinth gets packed quickly for FNM, is it like that for the board game night, too?

I've never actually made it out to one so I'm not at all sure. But it apparently starts at 6 anyway, and that's about when id get there too.

Every time DC gets mentioned a new person chimes in saying they are in the area. We should have a google group or something. Get some events together or something.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

So what do people think of like a Tuesday night fairly regular get togethers somewhere? I have a few venue ideas, each venue being pretty much empty, near a metro and also open until at least midnight (although I really doubt we stay past 9-10 since work and all- probably like 6:00 to 8 or 9 for most people). I feel like on Thursday I might want to play a FFG other than LCGs since I don't get the chance to do so other times and the weekend days will be inconsistent due to FNM, sports, doing other stuff etc.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

XyrlocShammypants posted:

So what do people think of like a Tuesday night fairly regular get togethers somewhere? I have a few venue ideas, each venue being pretty much empty, near a metro and also open until at least midnight (although I really doubt we stay past 9-10 since work and all- probably like 6:00 to 8 or 9 for most people). I feel like on Thursday I might want to play a FFG other than LCGs since I don't get the chance to do so other times and the weekend days will be inconsistent due to FNM, sports, doing other stuff etc.

I'd be up for that. I couldn't commit to anything weekly or anything, but once or twice a month would be pretty easy, especially for LCGs where it's easy to just carry my decks and go right after work.

I think playing anything much longer is gonna be hard on a weeknight if we start at 6, but depending on the game I would be willing to try, on most thursdays in particular.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

If any Bay Area CA goons want to do some boardgaming at any FLGS sometime too I'd be down. :3: I think Legends' new Boardgame Store in Cupertino does stuff on Saturday occasionally but I've never been.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Quidnose posted:

If any Bay Area CA goons want to do some boardgaming at any FLGS sometime too I'd be down. :3: I think Legends' new Boardgame Store in Cupertino does stuff on Saturday occasionally but I've never been.

You should come to Happy Donuts in Palo Alto on Wednesday nights. There's 20+ people playing board games there from ~630pm till midnight.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Malloreon posted:

You should come to Happy Donuts in Palo Alto on Wednesday nights. There's 20+ people playing board games there from ~630pm till midnight.

I went a bunch of times January-February of last year before my schedule exploded. Think I might go again this week!

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

Rondette posted:

Going to Afternoon Play tomorrow in Birmingham, going to be wondering who the Goons are. :ninja:

We're taking Galaxy Trucker.

Right we Brum boardgaming goons might as well organise meets in the Brum meet thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526156

It was nice playing Galaxy Truckers with you, if I had read a few more posts in the thread I wouldn't have brought my big rear end box version. Was wandering if anyone else turned up to that, but discuss it in the other thread.

FelchTragedy fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 14, 2013

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dominion posted:

I'd be up for that. I couldn't commit to anything weekly or anything, but once or twice a month would be pretty easy, especially for LCGs where it's easy to just carry my decks and go right after work.

I think playing anything much longer is gonna be hard on a weeknight if we start at 6, but depending on the game I would be willing to try, on most thursdays in particular.

Yea I can't commit to anything regular or long term, but if we are gonna pick a day then Thursday is easily the best choice.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Glad to see the interest in local board game meetups! Awesome!

Tanga is selling Galaxy Trucker for $38.99. It's one of my favorite games (as with a number of people in the thread) and that's a pretty good price! Buy buy buy!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Moogs posted:

Tanga is selling Galaxy Trucker for $38.99. It's one of my favorite games (as with a number of people in the thread) and that's a pretty good price! Buy buy buy!
$38.99 that I don't have. :eng99:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Moogs posted:

Glad to see the interest in local board game meetups! Awesome!

I dunno, add in shipping and it's barely cheaper than Amazon as is. I have been looking to pick it up though :geno:

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

pbpancho posted:

Game table

This is fantastic, however... I see no cup holders sir.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Funso Banjo posted:

Looks great.

Are you going to shove legs on it? It looks like you're setting it on top of a smaller table for now, is that how it's going to stay?

How much would you estimate this has set you back altogether in wood?

I'm in the middle of making a workbench, and your pictures are sorely tempting me to make a gaming table as my next project.

No legs, I have a larger apartment but no room for a dedicated gaming table. We never use the dining table though so it can pretty much just sit on that old thing full time. It's heavy enough that it won't really move thanks to the MDF. I've got MAYBE $250 into it total, but that includes stuff like the staplegun, foam, cloth, cupholders, etc. It could be done much cheaper if you don't get as clean of wood, or much more expensive if you used Maple or Oak instead of pine. I'll probably build a new one, with legs and a removable top so it can be used as a normal table once I have a house or something, but for now, this is great.

Psyker posted:

This is fantastic, however... I see no cup holders sir.

Second photo from the end, shows one folded out for use. I had to install the corners this morning before I could put them on.

We used the table tonight, played 3 games of Fleet, 2 of Sentinels of the Multiverse, and 1 of Alien Frontiers. Cupholders worked great, and it's so nice having a surface that makes it easy to pick up cards, and the dice roll quietly but not too bouncy.

Here are two in-use shots

pbpancho fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Oh man I want the Star Wars LCG so much, but I know that nobody in my group will want to play it with me.
Just like Netrunner...and X-Wing... :negative:

• Locked thread