Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Just bad luck. Most of the hostels that take reservations are good about honoring them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Sheep-Goats posted:

Just bad luck. Most of the hostels that take reservations are good about honoring them.

The count is now at three screwing me over. What an auspicious start.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Are you staying at the extreme low end? I found that a lot of smaller/cheaper guesthouses on Hostelworld don't really know how to use it, so they have to manually check it to retrieve bookings and such and stuff slips through the cracks a lot (although I didn't bother with bookings outside Bangkok and Singapore, so this is based on my experience with it in Australia and Europe). The best use for the site in this region is mostly just to locate clusters of guesthouses on the map so you can then go pick one in person, or to get reservations as the handful of places that consistently book out (like Hanoi Backpackers or some of the nicer mid-range island guesthouses).

Chocolate Milk posted:

Will making our way up to Bangkok shortly. Haven't really planned anything for that yet so any advice or suggestions for places to stay would be appreciated. Or links to earlier posts since I know Bangkok is a reasonably frequent topic of discussion...

The three popular choices are (in order) Khao San Road, Silom and Siam Square. All three are entertainment districts full of guesthouses and restaurants, have good transit connections (although for KSR that mostly means "lots of taxis") and are full of tourist infrastructure, so which one you pick is mostly up to what kind of traveler you are. If you're mostly there to spend money and buy stuff, Siam Square is a giant mall. If you're really into nightlife of the not-backpacker variety, Silom is a world-famous club capital (and also a giant mall). If you're pretty much anyone else, Khao San Road is the backpacker district (and nightlife center, and smaller tourist-oriented mall), has most of the tourist agencies and such, and is walking distance to the Jade Buddha and the museum. Personally I'd recommend staying in Soi Rambuttri (just around the corner from Khao San Road) because of the places I listed it's consistently the easiest, cheapest, and by far the least loud.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Hong Kong is notoriously bad for online booked hostels. Sucks bro.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Welp. Up with a bout of food poisoning. That hasn't taken long.

The toilet sprayer thing is the best thing ever.

duralict posted:

Personally I'd recommend staying in Soi Rambuttri (just around the corner from Khao San Road) because of the places I listed it's consistently the easiest, cheapest, and by far the least loud.

Sounds good. Thanks!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Chocolate Milk posted:

Welp. Up with a bout of food poisoning. That hasn't taken long.

Not a doctor, not medical advice, blah blah blah, but do yourself a favor and get some ciprofloxacin from a pharmacy. Shouldn't cost you more than a couple hundred baht for ten 500mg pills. Take 'em twice daily and take all ten pills even if you start feeling better, since it's an antibiotic. I made the mistake of holding off on taking them for a few days and suffered for no reason. I got better within like 6 hours of taking my first dose.

Chocolate Milk posted:

The toilet sprayer thing is the best thing ever.

Without the butt spray, I feel icky after pooping unless I shower immediately afterwards.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Yeah happily my dad is a doctor (paediatrician but still). He sent us off with two kinds of antibiotics but has said not to start until I'm throwing up less frequently.

It's seriously good to hear though that it helped. Right now it seems like it'll never stop.

And yeah I was unsure about spraying for the first few days but this has converted me.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

Without the butt spray, I feel icky after pooping unless I shower immediately afterwards.
I have - no joke - floated the idea of making a site and app called HaveBumGunWillTravel where all we do is enter places that have bum guns and then give them a sticker, then display them on a google search box type page. So, people could enter "Battambang, Cambodia" and get back a list of every place that has bum guns in the room.

floated - eh-heh, eh-heh-heh-heh. eh-heh-heh-heh-heh-heh

Chocolate Milk posted:

And yeah I was unsure about spraying for the first few days but this has converted me.
It's this way for most Americans (not sure if American), but as I said to a friend of mine back home when he laughed at me, "Hey man, you don't wake up in the morning and wipe yourself down with a bunch of dry towels before putting on your clothes and going to work."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 13, 2013

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Yeah New Zealander but the attitude is essentially the same. Do any places in Thailand not have the sprayers? I don't think I've seen accommodation without one yet... bar toilets don't count.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

If they have toilet seats, they almost always also have bum guns. A few times, though, I've had ones with really low flow.

Or ones with really explosively high flow. Those, you go easy on the trigger and hope your trigger finger doesnt twitch mid stream...

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Yeah, I learnt quickly that it's a good idea to do some test sprays into the toilet first.

Finally starting to feel like a normal person again. I don't think it's over yet but at least I don't need the toilet/bucket every ten minutes... I may even be able to move back to the bed?? Cautiously optimistic.

Very glad I brought my iPod touch with me. Would've been a lonely and scary night otherwise.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Heh, I always referred to them as a "bum hose". I guess Bum gun works also.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

Or ones with really explosively high flow. Those, you go easy on the trigger and hope your trigger finger doesnt twitch mid stream...
You haven't lived until you've given yourself an accidental high-pressure enema.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Ok, we've decided to change out itinerary, as it seems that the area around HCMC isn't all that interesting, and I've read some somewhat damning reviews of Cat Tien Nat'l Park.

Now we're planning on doing a loop including HCMC, Phnom Penh and Phu Quoc. Likely including a stop in the Mekong Delta along the way.

Questions:

1) We're starting and ending in HCMC. For visa purposes as well and general practicality/convenience, is it better to go to Phu Quoc and then Phnom Penh, or the opposite? Either way this will include a multiple-entry Vietnam visa, which is expensive and annoying.

1a) What's the best website for Vietnam visas?

2) Any specific recommendations for Phnom Penh?

3) Senso, we'll likely be in HCMC for a few days, starting very late on the 19th. Let me know if you still want to get together for some beers/food. gregnar at gmail

Edit: Thank you thank you thank you everyone

big boi fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 14, 2013

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
the G-BRAT is also helpful for explosive butt/food poisoning system.

Basically, acquire Orange Gatorade, Yellow Bananas, Non-Fried Rice (white rice), Apples, and Toast(/Naan).

The gatorade is pretty important to keep you hydrated.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

big boi posted:

1) We're starting and ending in HCMC. For visa purposes as well and general practicality/convenience, is it better to go to Phu Quoc and then Phnom Penh, or the opposite? Either way this will include a multiple-entry Vietnam visa, which is expensive and annoying.

There probably aren't directly flights from Phu Quoc to Phnom Penh (maybe now though, it's worth checking). So if you have to do Phu Quoc -> HCMC -> Phnom Penh anyway...

big boi posted:

Can't help with that sorry, my company takes care of that for me. It's about $150 for 3-months multiple entries.

big boi posted:

2) Any specific recommendations for Phnom Penh?

You can do the E-Visa online, it's painless. For PP itself, the FCC is a cool bar to visit once. Also try to find the fried tarantula restaurant. Also if you're into it, Tuol Seng/S-21 is the school where thousands of people were tortured and executed, it's chilling but an interesting visit. The others here know more about PP.

big boi posted:

3) Senso, we'll likely be in HCMC for a few days, starting very late on the 19th. Let me know if you still want to get together for some beers/food. gregnar at gmail

Always. My wife and kid are leaving tomorrow and I'll be alone until April so I have a lot of free time. Will send you an email.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

duralict posted:

Are you staying at the extreme low end?

Midrange with high ratings. Called again and it seems to have been sorted out, but I do realize that what people tell me and what is true are two entirely different things.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Skandiaavity posted:

the G-BRAT is also helpful for explosive butt/food poisoning system.

Yeah, I didn't really have any of that when I got sick, but we did have sickly orange flavoured electrolyte sachets. They seem to have done the job although I probably need to eat something other than crackers sometime soon. Not that the thought of food is in any way appealing yet.

We're supposed to be checking out of the guesthouse tomorrow and ferrying to Krabi. Thinking that we may just stay a night or two in Krabi Town before forging on elsewhere. Any recommendations for cheap accommodation?

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
In Saigon until Wednesday morning, what's a good place to find crocodile wallets? Any recommended restaurants? I've be slightly sick from dehydration so something easy and light would be ideal.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Jack Forge posted:

Any recommended restaurants? I've be slightly sick from dehydration so something easy and light would be ideal.

I put together a Google Doc for the expats at work here with some of the good restaurants/bars.

As for the crocodile wallets, I'd say Ben Thanh market? Though personally I wouldn't buy that poo poo, crocodiles are almost extinct here.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Came back from a trip to rural Thailand a few days ago with squat toilet only and a little bowl to scoop water with. I could never really figure out how to do it and it didn't help that the bathroom was infested with mosquitoes. Just let me take my dump, you @#$@%#@!111

If anyone is interested in emigrating to Scandinavia I would recommend Finland as they have bum guns (or rear end spray as I like to call them) everywhere!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
In Finland, the bum guns actually shoot out superheated sauna steam. True story.

EDIT: China.jpg

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Probably safer to breathe through the filter, gotta give him some credit, it doesn't look like that cig is actually lit.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

So I've spent a couple days in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, with I think one more day left in the latter. I'm kind of tired of temples and large tourist crowds, and would like to see some more natural vistas that aren't too flooded by fat and pale Americans. Any good especially good places for such sights? Are the ruins in Isaan worth the (seemingly) convoluted routes, or are there some less populated islands/beaches I should just head to?

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
You're still in Chiang Mai? Go to Laos. Aside from the boat route to Luang Prabang, northern Laos is almost totally devoid of tourists and it's all gorgeous natural scenery. (And the boat ride is all smelly backpackers floating through gorgeous natural scenery, not a lot of fat pale vacationers venture that far out.) If you have cash to burn, the Gibbon Experience is probably the most enthusiastically-recommended ecotourism thing I've ever heard of.

You won't find a deserted island beach anywhere in Thailand at this time of year. Maybe one of the Cambodian ones, though.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
So, I some cheap flights from Korea to Hong Kong that would have me in from Feb 10th to 14th. Is it worth it for Lunar new years?

e. Flight booked, I'm coming.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 15, 2013

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Bugblatter posted:

Are the ruins in Isaan worth the (seemingly) convoluted routes, or are there some less populated islands/beaches I should just head to?

No, they're not worth it. Of all the ruins I've seen in Thailand I think Sukhothai was the best. It's no Angkor Wat but I'm not that interested in temples anyway. Have a look if you're still in Chiang Mai as it's nearby. I also agree with what duralict said.

Edit: Just saw that a new wiki travel site is launching: http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Main_Page
Maybe it will take over Wikitravel?

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 15, 2013

purity control
Jan 2, 2005

i look better in real life. seriously.

big boi posted:

I go direct to the consulate in DC. You have to mail your passport in with a money-order and a self-addressed envelope with tracking capabilities. I feel safer going to the actual consulate itself than a visa service.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Eh, I am kind I trying to stay on a budget and I have to catch my flight home from BKK on the morning of the 26th, so I don't want to put too much distance between myself and Bangkok and wind up spending a bunch of time getting back. I also am stuck speaking only English and don't have a clue where I'd go/what I'd do in Laos.

So, is it still advisable?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Ringo R posted:

Maybe it will take over Wikitravel?

Wikitravel was taken over by a company named internet brands that consequently managed to piss off all regular contributors and editors. That company is currently doing his evil thing suing actual wikitravel users. So gently caress wikitravel and take your bussiness to wikivoyage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Brands

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
Second day in HCMC and I already got nailed with some nasty food poisoning. Other than the excess time in the bathroom, HCMC has been a pretty great experience so far. I really don't understand the 'Nam hate. Everyone has been super nice and I've only had trouble with 2 people so far (one dude followed us for a block trying to sell knock off Zippos, and one woman grabbed my arm when I said I didn't want to buy a t-shirt). Got harassed by way more touts in BKK - although they weren't this persistent.

While I like HCMC quite a bit so far, it hasn't really "grabbed" me like Bangkok did. We are staying right across the street from Ben Thanh market and need to head into some other districts to get a better feel for the city. Planning on doing that when I can walk away from the bathroom for more than 15 minutes.

Edit:

big boi posted:

We used Vietnam Visa Pro, which I think is one of the more popular ones. Ordered ours before the new year and apparently the visa fees at the airport had changed, which was sort of exciting/annoying. Not sure if Vietnam Visa Pro has updated their documentation but the visa fee at the airport is no longer USD25, it is USD45. Bring USD. We paid the rest in Dong that we picked up in Singapore but the price was a little inflated. Was pretty painless other than the price change.

trigger fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 15, 2013

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

trigger posted:

We used Vietnam Visa Pro, which I think is one of the more popular ones. Ordered ours before the new year and apparently the visa fees at the airport had changed, which was sort of exciting/annoying. Not sure if Vietnam Visa Pro has updated their documentation but the visa fee at the airport is no longer USD25, it is USD45. Bring USD. We paid the rest in Dong that we picked up in Singapore but the price was a little inflated. Was pretty painless other than the price change.

Thanks, this is the one we use. Except I have no access to USD, only Korean Won...gently caress

trigger
Oct 31, 2003

Chasing rabbits on the flip side
They might take it, just don't expect a fair exchange rate... I would try to err on the safe side and maybe swap some cash at a bank or the airport before you go. They asked us for 1mil dong (~50USD) after we gave them 50USD, which is a bit inflated given they only needed 90USD for the two of us. In the grand scheme of things, $10 isn't really much unless you really hate getting ripped off or something.

From what I could tell there was not an ATM until after you cleared customs, so just keep that in mind.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Maxsmart posted:

So, I some cheap flights from Korea to Hong Kong that would have me in from Feb 10th to 14th. Is it worth it for Lunar new years?

e. Flight booked, I'm coming.

Check out the China thread, that's where Hong Kong goons hang out. But like most Hong Kongers, I'm headed out of town for Chinese New Year. I think you'll find the place pretty boring, since everything closes up.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Pretty much. I'm going out of town too~ See ya! Besides I'm done hosting for this city. Need my break, too many guys coming in.

Onta vasa
Oct 15, 2004

Look what I made :drugnerd:
Whats the best/cheapest way to prove onward travel when entering BKK? My round trip ticket is for a year because I'm hitting (at least) Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos before I return home (If I decide to come home).
Thanks!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You won't need to upon entering BKK. Your only concern will be the outbound airline counter.

Onta vasa
Oct 15, 2004

Look what I made :drugnerd:
I'm taking Korean air, any precautions I should take?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Does anything exciting happen in Bangkok for Chinese New Year? Ill probably be there then and I know there is a decent sized Chinese population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Onta vasa posted:

I'm taking Korean air, any precautions I should take?

They're normally pretty good.

That being said. I'm having a problem finding cheap tickets for SEA -> VTE / BKK -> SEA

Probably mainly due to the BKK-VTE portion. I used this: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and it looks like travel agencys should be able to book it for around $1200. This is a system they actually use apparently?

Anyone book their tickets with travel agencys? I figure it would cost more vs. you doing it yourself.

I tried expedia, kayak, orbitz, sta travel. I went directly to some airliners website, and they can't seem to connect me all the way. (Delta, Korean Air, China Air, etc.)

On the matrix software, it says I should be able to do SEA -> BKK via Delta, then BKK -> VTE via Bangkok airways, but no online websites are giving me that option.

I prefer to have a properly "connected" flight as I will have probably 4-5 luggages, so I don't want to pay for the extras again for the BKK -> VTE flight.

edit: I will probably try calling Delta directly to see if they can book me this, this weekend but I figure I'd ask here first.
edit2: Also says companies like Kayak, and Orbitz use their software: http://www.itasoftware.com/about/customers.html

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 15, 2013