Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

GoldenNugget posted:

Dark Souls even has the wheeled zombies (who are annoying as gently caress assholes), a moth butterfly boss, and quite a few other similarities. Also a lot of the friends you encounter die/turn against you and you have to kill them.

Also one of the blacksmiths is named Rickert...

Watched movie 2 last night, better than the first one for sure. It's been so long that I didn't notice a lot of the cuts from the manga, but now I do remember the sword assist from Zodd, that was an odd choice for an edit. The 100 man fight was quite well done tho, especially the bit where Guts gets shell shocked and the sound goes all wonky. That was badass :black101: Trailer for 3 looks Lovecraftian as gently caress, looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm kind of torn with the second movie because once again it's not nearly as loving terrible as the :japan: fans were making it out to be, but the pacing is pretty atrocious. The removal of the Bonfire of Dreams sequence and the Queen subplot really fucks with everything.

The 100 man fight is absolutely brutal and loving awesome, on par with the assassination from the first movie.

I also have to admit, I like how they slightly altered Adon with having him captured and used as a way to get into Doldrey which makes more sense than his weird rear end fake death routine and Casca and the other reinforcements just randomly appearing at the gates behind thousands of troops.

Also the cameos by Puck, Serpico, and Farnese aren't really that bad, as the way some people had been talking about it made it sound like it was some really blatant poo poo but it's, what, a split second for them? Who cares?

The change to the fight with Boscogn is just needlessly dumb, and I really, really missed the scene with Guts in the bar with Corkus and Judeau. It's such a shame, because with more competent writing\editing\direction\everything, a lot of the character development that was in the manga and original anime feels like it could have been easily kept in.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm still holding out hope that they're just rushing through the Golden Age material so they can put more effort into the stuff beyond that, which hasn't been told in motion before.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 12, 2013

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
That is probably what's going to happen...well, provided the numbers add up somehow and this project doesn't completely bomb, since I imagine they wouldn't be inserting such cameos and bothering to make a big deal about including Skull Knight in the third movie if the producers weren't at least formally planning to continue with additional story arcs in some other way, shape or form.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Awesome Welles posted:

The change to the fight with Boscogn is just needlessly dumb, and I really, really missed the scene with Guts in the bar with Corkus and Judeau. It's such a shame, because with more competent writing\editing\direction\everything, a lot of the character development that was in the manga and original anime feels like it could have been easily kept in.

No way dude we definitely needed five minutes of obligatory ballroom dancing.

But anyways the quality of animation was at least a lot better, along with the CG.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/berserk/c333/

Goddamn, I'm always left stunned by how beautiful the art in Berserk is.
Looks like we get a bit more of an idea as to what Griffith has been doing. It looks like he's more or less achieved (or close to having achieved) that dream he's always had of being king

Nahxela fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 13, 2013

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

...dammit, Miura. This was your scheme, all along. If Guts eventually kills Griffith, this will all vanish, won't it? The last, safe paradise of humanity. Destroyed by our protagonist.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Nahxela posted:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/berserk/c333/

Looks like we get a bit more of an idea as to what Griffith has been doing. It looks like he's more or less achieved (or close to having achieved) that dream he's always had of being king

I feel like something awful bad is gonna happen to Rickert...:ohdear:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Griffith has done many horrible things that make the reader hate him and want to see Guts cut off his head and piss down his neck. On the other hand, he's shaping up to be the least worst leader in this rotten world. He's created a nation where at least some people are safe from constant demon attacks and can live in peace. Of course, Griffith is the king of demonic bastards himself and who knows what he'll do after he gets bored of his magic palace, but he's gotta be a better ruler than Emperor "Josef Stalin" Ganishka would have been.

Miura can take another 20 years to finish the story for all I care; he is the best. Berserk will still be read by millions centuries from now.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

DrakePegasus posted:

...dammit, Miura. This was your scheme, all along. If Guts eventually kills Griffith, this will all vanish, won't it? The last, safe paradise of humanity. Destroyed by our protagonist.

Maybe seeing something like this is what it'll take for Guts to let go of his revenge? I mean, his story's been shifting from "get revenge" to "find a safe place/protect my family" for some time now.

A Stranger
Sep 14, 2010
Nah, everything Griffith does only seems good at first glance. He's evil through and through, all of this is just smoke and mirrors. Maybe a set-up for something like collecting all of humanity in one spot only to sacrifice them all at once.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Guts giving up on revenge isn't the same as forgiving or absolving Griffith.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Griffith wants a beautiful kingdom. A beautiful kingdom is a peaceful, prosperous kingdom. He is making life better for lots of people even though he doesn't care whether they live or die. Griffith's position is so secure right now that he doesn't need to oppress any of his subjects. Of course, given that Griffith isn't the saint he pretends to be I'm not sure how he will handle getting everything he ever wanted.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Nahxela posted:

Protip: use an online reader that doesn't resize or recompress the images. JPEG :ohdear:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Serious Frolicking posted:

Griffith wants a beautiful kingdom. A beautiful kingdom is a peaceful, prosperous kingdom. He is making life better for lots of people even though he doesn't care whether they live or die. Griffith's position is so secure right now that he doesn't need to oppress any of his subjects. Of course, given that Griffith isn't the saint he pretends to be I'm not sure how he will handle getting everything he ever wanted.

What you forget is that Griffith is probably still obsessed with Guts. I'm betting that even if Guts puts revenge out of his mind, Griffith will eventually come for him instead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Griffith is still the same man who destroyed his future with his own hands. There aren't any serious threats to his kingdom, and Griffith himself is all but untouchable. So, that leaves either a perfect utopia or Griffith giving in to his self-destructive urges. If he has seemed overly perfect lately, that is because the recent Griffith arcs have been about him building his legend. Miura is too good a writer to leave it at that.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

DrakePegasus posted:

Miura does really interesting things with character alignment like this. After some point in my reading, I ended up going "Wait, isn't Griffith technically the good guy here? Sure, he's a dictator, but Falconia IS safe, and he is Humanity's savior. Guts is sort of tearing that down just for revenge. Is Guts technically the evil one here? Oh poo poo..."

When you consider the kinds of things both characters do, Guts is the more traditionally "Evil" one by the world's standards, and Griffith the "Good". That's pretty obvious when looking at how the characters are seen from the eyes of other characters, but it's still a cool thing to think about.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hmm. I wonder if Skull Knight even survived the formation of the World Helix Tree. Strange.

Also, thinking about it now in retrospect, a lot of what Skull Knight said may very well be untrue, or not completely true. He seemed to imply that he and Guts were outside the flow of fate's causality, or at least able to buck against it. However, he was instrumental in creating this new world due to his predations upon the Apostles' behelits.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Stranger posted:

Nah, everything Griffith does only seems good at first glance. He's evil through and through, all of this is just smoke and mirrors. Maybe a set-up for something like collecting all of humanity in one spot only to sacrifice them all at once.

While I agree this is a strong (hell, I'd say over 50% chance) possibility, I still find it weird. Yes, Griffith is evil, but this was his motivation since the very beginning, he's literally got what he wanted. I think right now the way he sees the status quo is as "everything is where it should be" :smug:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Griffith is the one responsible for the world turning into a brutal fairytale in the first place. He's holding all of humanity hostage by providing the only safe area be his kingdom.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The thing about Griffith is that he has made himself humanity's one defense, but the linchpin cause of all their problems. If he was removed, it's possible these problems would all go away. But seeing as how he's the one seemingly protecting everyone from them, well, that's never going to happen.

I can only think that this situation will eventually degenerate. The Apostles being passive forever seems unlikely.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

A Stranger posted:

Man, this is exactly the same feeling I got when I read this chapter. It's just too good to be true.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Zorak posted:

The thing about Griffith is that he has made himself humanity's one defense, but the linchpin cause of all their problems. If he was removed, it's possible these problems would all go away. But seeing as how he's the one seemingly protecting everyone from them, well, that's never going to happen.

I can only think that this situation will eventually degenerate. The Apostles being passive forever seems unlikely.

I don't think it will really involve the apostles so much as Guts showing up and throwing a wrench in this new perception of the world. I'm thinking were going to see some parallels to the Tower of rebirth arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think Guts could do much if he simply walked into Falconia in its present condition. It has always been questionable if he could even match Griffith alone, even with the berserker armor. Add in a normal army and an army of apostles and he probably wouldn't get to Griffith in any sort of condition to fight him. Personally, I think that Griffith will eventually come to Guts. However, even if Griffith does wreck his little utopia it will doubtless be a long and drawn-out process. We won't see any resolution to the situation in Falconia for another decade or so.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I wonder what the other members of the Godhand are up to. Would they cooperate with or oppose Grifith now that he turned the world into his garden? Do they also have zones of influence like Falconia? Or was it just his turn this time?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

genericnick posted:

I wonder what the other members of the Godhand are up to. Would they cooperate with or oppose Grifith now that he turned the world into his garden? Do they also have zones of influence like Falconia? Or was it just his turn this time?

I thought it was fairly unambiguous that the whole point of Griffith becoming Femto and changing the world into Fantasia was to let God Hand manifest physically in the world without any sort of possession restrictions (like Slan during the goblin/troll portion). What Laban said on pg 11 seems pretty telling; things are more interesting/high fantasy after the transformation, but it was better before when it was just men and not monsters everywhere. Especially with the white/black bird (Falcon? Hawk?) prophecy way back when Farnese was still chasing after him as a knight, it seems likely that Guts will act as a necessary "evil" returning the world to its non-fantasy state. Reality is cruel, but nothing good can come out of worshipping/relying on supernatural forces. I'm just waiting for the reveal 20 years from now where Falconia turns into a butcher shop/monster breeding horror pit and Guts finally dives in to clean it up again.

Crampy Grampaw fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 14, 2013

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A Stranger posted:

Griffith ascends to Demon God: Level 2.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012
'til next time :argh:

Enjoyed the chapter though - is it just me, or does Berserk feel like it's starting to meander towards a conclusion?

Rickert :ohdear: Considering Guts told him what Griffth did 20 volumes ago, I hope he doesn't fall into a trap or denial or something.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

becrumbac posted:

Rickert :ohdear: Considering Guts told him what Griffth did 20 volumes ago, I hope he doesn't fall into a trap or denial or something.

That was something that confused me about this chapter. Didn't Guts explain to Rickert what happened during the Eclipse after the meeting on the Hill of Swords? I remember that Gut's explanation wasn't specifically depicted, but did Rickert just selectively forget all of that? It didn't even factor into his reflections in this chapter. You'd think he'd remember the story about how all his friends got eaten, and that that would probably be one of his first associations about Griffith. :raise:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Rickert might not be the most savvy gent around, but even he knows that saying anything bad about Griffith in a country full of people and monsters who worship him as a god isn't the best idea. There is also the fact that he probably still wants to believe that it was all a mistake and that Griffith didn't really brutally murder the band of the hawk, mutilate Guts and rape Caska. Rickert doesn't have the brand, right?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Serious Frolicking posted:

Rickert might not be the most savvy gent around, but even he knows that saying anything bad about Griffith in a country full of people and monsters who worship him as a god isn't the best idea. There is also the fact that he probably still wants to believe that it was all a mistake and that Griffith didn't really brutally murder the band of the hawk, mutilate Guts and rape Caska. Rickert doesn't have the brand, right?

No, he was left behind (with the wounded?) and missed the eclipse.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

No, he was left behind (with the wounded?) and missed the eclipse.

I think the Skull Knight saved him, because the bugs from the forest of mist killed the rest of them.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Roobanguy posted:

I think the Skull Knight saved him, because the bugs from the forest of mist killed the rest of them.

Rickert does not have a brand because he was not at the Eclipse, but when the monsters began materializing in the real world immediately after the eclipse, Skull Knight appeared and killed the group of enemies and saved Rickert, most likely for "causality" reasons. So technically, Rickert doesn't have any proof of the Eclipse ever actually happening aside from his friends not being around and Guts telling him about it. He still wants to believe Griffith is a good guy, as evidenced by the Hill of Swords, and because Griffith wasn't harmful to him at that time and Guts was the one who went apeshit, it makes sense that dichotomy would manifest itself in Rickert's character.

edit for typo

laplace fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 14, 2013

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I don't know, wasn't Rickert there when Griffith was basically "I came back to make sure I didn't care about any of you and I totally don't. Let's go Zod." Also, can anyone give me a quick summary of the helix tree if it was shown earlier?

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

laplace posted:

dichotomy

Chickenegg. Though its my opinion the rooster actually came first, there is no evidence, and thus becomes only plausible through subjective reader inference. to exemplify: the chickenegg is a prerequisite in establishing the namesake chicken tenders that are so coveted by connoisseurs of a global variety of fine dipping sauces, yet only one meat that makes a chicken tender.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harry posted:

I don't know, wasn't Rickert there when Griffith was basically "I came back to make sure I didn't care about any of you and I totally don't. Let's go Zod." Also, can anyone give me a quick summary of the helix tree if it was shown earlier?

That's the Emperor who absorbed a bunch of apostles and became a giant tree thing. Then Griffith killed him and the massive amount of energy released removed the boundary between the real and spiritual world. Or something.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

RatHat posted:

That's the Emperor who absorbed a bunch of apostles and became a giant tree thing. Then Griffith killed him and the massive amount of energy released removed the boundary between the real and spiritual world. Or something.

When Griffith (in Femto form) was dicking around on the Emperor's face, Skull Knight zooped in right behind him and tried to slash him with his Behelit-sword that he made by eating lots of Behelits until he poo poo them out as one big sword. The poo-sword is supposed to be able to kill anything regardless of destiny, since it's made of little faceballs whose entire purpose is loving around with destiny. But, it turns out that it was Just As Planned and Femto bends the space where he would have gotten cut (apparently this is a thing he can do). He plops the slash on top of the Emperor, which (presumably) kills him. This fucks the poo poo out of everything and makes the spirit world and the real world cram together because reasons. The Emperor's dead body turns into a big white ghost-tree.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Zenzirouj posted:

When Griffith (in Femto form) was dicking around on the Emperor's face, Skull Knight zooped in right behind him and tried to slash him with his Behelit-sword that he made by eating lots of Behelits until he poo poo them out as one big sword. The poo-sword is supposed to be able to kill anything regardless of destiny, since it's made of little faceballs whose entire purpose is loving around with destiny. But, it turns out that it was Just As Planned and Femto bends the space where he would have gotten cut (apparently this is a thing he can do). He plops the slash on top of the Emperor, which (presumably) kills him. This fucks the poo poo out of everything and makes the spirit world and the real world cram together because reasons. The Emperor's dead body turns into a big white ghost-tree.

This sounds so insane. But it makes perfect sense to me.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
After a friend told me about the dreamcast game and seeing this thread, I decided to check it out. What I found was a well drawn comic, excellent story, and a character metal enough to fit into the WH40k universe. Very happy to have found Berserk! Guts practically defines :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zenzirouj posted:

See, that exact scenario always leads me to believe that the Skull Knight is wrong about Guts and himself being outside of causality. Nearly everything Guts has done in the story has literally gone "Just as Planned" for the Godhand to take more control. Just because the SK dove in during the Eclipse doesn't mean he broke fate, more like it was always intended for Emperor Gaiseric to become the Skull Knight and later rescue Guts a thousand years later. All this talk of denial of the supernatural hasn't really done anything for Guts.