Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Happy Hippo posted:

"Much rumored"? This is the first I have heard of it.

At one point in an interview he mentioned he was writing a GOF screenplay with someone to shop around. The characters would have been changed to humans and the entire enterprise sounded weird. I am not sure if he was joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I've read the comic archives multiple times through, but decided to read the blogs for the first time recently and those are great. They really make me agree with the people in here who would really like a prose Achewood novel. I especially love when the blogs will overlap on each other, like Teodor and Cornelius's cooking show.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01052006

Hey Onstand, I'll give you 20 bucks and let slide all your past transgressions, if you dress up in Tinky-Winky suit and do a little dance for us.

20 bucks man. Don't act like you are too good for a 20 nowdays.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01052006

Hey Onstand, I'll give you 20 bucks and let slide all your past transgressions, if you dress up in Tinky-Winky suit and do a little dance for us.

20 bucks man. Don't act like you are too good for a 20 nowdays.

That alt-text has always been one of my favorites.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Ancient Shenanigan is alright but I prefer Ancient Situation.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Haha

http://www.examiner.com/article/review-gusano-rojo-joven-mezcal-a-spirit-that-you-should-avoid-at-all-costs

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Gusano Rojo really should have worked that comic into their advertising. There are people in this world who would stand in line for a chance to buy an embalmy mezcal that is guaranteed to be "the stiff coal, a real ankle drunk."

And the appeal of holding something the cops will wrestle you for, well, that's just undeniable. Sales would go through the goddamn roof.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've started a re-read from scratch, just because I haven't done it in years.

I forgot how many weird/funny gags are in the first dozen or so strips.

Lie-Bot excitedly waking up Mr. Bear to see Flava Flav and his blinking tooth for instance.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I grabbed the first cookbook from the honor store. Weirdly, I think what I'm getting the most use out of is the omelet recipe.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Wanderer posted:

I grabbed the first cookbook from the honor store. Weirdly, I think what I'm getting the most use out of is the omelet recipe.

I'm fairly sure that I'm some sort of gibbering incompetent, because I have yet to get the Fool's Rice recipe to work properly.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Trilobite posted:

Gusano Rojo really should have worked that comic into their advertising. There are people in this world who would stand in line for a chance to buy an embalmy mezcal that is guaranteed to be "the stiff coal, a real ankle drunk."

And the appeal of holding something the cops will wrestle you for, well, that's just undeniable. Sales would go through the goddamn roof.

"It smells like someone's working on a car!™"

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like offering up all his old paid content on an honour system shop may be some form of attempted penance for the Cookbook II fiasco.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

An apology would be better.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Happy Hippo posted:

An apology would be better.

Maybe, but it seems like that would require apologizing for being in a bad headspace while going through a separation from his wife, which I can't really imagine anyone doing unless they're in politics.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Darthemed posted:

Maybe, but it seems like that would require apologizing for being in a bad headspace while going through a separation from his wife, which I can't really imagine anyone doing unless they're in politics.

So, you have carte blanche to take a bunch of money and not return it, so long as you're depressed? Man, I could have been making BANK in my late teens/early twenties...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Okay was good talking about Achewood but with this starting again and the webcomic pretty much dead I'm gonna unmark this thread.

Shine on your crazy diamonds I hope we meet again when he starts writing a book or something. Time to hop into my own personal Volvo Of Dispair.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just read ache wood for first time of ever.

Excellent comoc.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

SeanBeansShako posted:

Okay was good talking about Achewood but with this starting again and the webcomic pretty much dead I'm gonna unmark this thread.

Shine on your crazy diamonds I hope we meet again when he starts writing a book or something. Time to hop into my own personal Volvo Of Dispair.

I wonder if he calls his wife the Vulva Of Despair.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wootcannon posted:

I wonder if he calls his wife the Vulva Of Despair.

What wife?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

drat, doggs.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Calaveron posted:

What wife?

The wife that I . . . BONED?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Atmus posted:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Atmus posted:

I'm suing you, and I will get all of your things. Because that's how this works.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Speaking of that actual comic, that I just read today in my first re-read in years; the cats are so awkward when they're introduced. You can tell Onstad kinda wanted to make them throwaways, but then Ray just keeps showing up and having funny things happen, and then of course, Roastbeef's golden tongue starts spewing classic line after classic line.

Also I totally forgot about this comic:

I remember showing it to a friend of mine years and years ago and she said it almost made her cry, I kinda get it now :smith:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the one where Ray and Beef keep ripping on Pat's hat? Because that's the best one.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Dickeye posted:

What's the one where Ray and Beef keep ripping on Pat's hat? Because that's the best one.

Here ya' go.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07192005

I guess achewood predicted game of thrones as well as small pants.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Loving Life Partner posted:

Speaking of that actual comic, that I just read today in my first re-read in years; the cats are so awkward when they're introduced. You can tell Onstad kinda wanted to make them throwaways, but then Ray just keeps showing up and having funny things happen, and then of course, Roastbeef's golden tongue starts spewing classic line after classic line.

Also I totally forgot about this comic:

I remember showing it to a friend of mine years and years ago and she said it almost made her cry, I kinda get it now :smith:

That one makes me laugh so hard that I cry a little, maybe that's what she meant?

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

MondayHotDog posted:

That one makes me laugh so hard that I cry a little, maybe that's what she meant?

It's a comic about a five-year old getting a punch in the stomach for christmas, this is not a thing that should inspire straight-up mirth.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Well, since we'll never see Achewood again, what are some stories you guys would have liked to have seen?

I would have liked to have seen an arc where Teodor transitions away from the house and comes into his own (instead of whatever the gently caress was going on inside that van). This leaves the house with a need for another room mate, which would obviously be filled by Lie-Bot.

I would have liked seeing Nice Pete kill Pat (and Pat going to heaven, a la Roast Beef's constant visits). Maybe see a response from Pete when Pat returns to Earth.

I would have liked another pull-a-prank-on-Phillipe-on-his-birthday strip, where he ages to age 6 (since the whole returning home story arc).

What are on some of your wishlists?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
More Lie Bot and Vlad, they deserve their own storyline.
More steaks and crispy stellas. :smith:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I wanted some resolution to the Cornelius/Polly storyline. It ended abruptly and Polly was mentioned only once after that.

Also this has always been one of the most profoundly depressing Achewood strips, and there wasn't any doubt in my mind that it was due to Onstad's circumstances, but I only just now realized this was Molly's final appearance in the comic Molly disappeared from the strip entirely shortly after this I am wrong about everything ever.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 16, 2013

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Rollersnake posted:

Also this has always been one of the most profoundly depressing Achewood strips, and there wasn't any doubt in my mind that it was due to Onstad's circumstances, but I only just now realized this was Molly's final appearance in the comic Molly disappeared from the strip entirely shortly after this.

This is the last strip with Molly in it that I could find: December 2, 2010 ... I wouldn't really call it "disappearing from the strip" as this date is less than twenty strips from when everyone disappeared :smith:

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
I would just like to see an actual end. I loved Achewood and have been reading for years. I wish it was still going but if it had to end I would rather have had an actual ending. Anything would've been better than the "start a storyline and then just kind of quit the strip halfway through" that happened.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I still want to find out what happens to Theo Freedom, and also see the future predictions of Achewood come true. Ray losing his ears, etc.

:unsmith: Maybe some day...

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Did we ever figure out who ate Ray's nachos? I forget.

I really figured that Onstad would show up in the Hamlet CYOA book that was on Kickstarter. It was a cavalcade of online comics and his absence hurts a bit.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Is Pat's sister a big of a dick as he is? She, at least, was capable of landing a husband (that I boned).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wanna know what happened to Pat and The Banjo.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 14, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What the hell does Pat even do for a living? He's the only member of the main cast who's never had a clearly defined job (beyond acting as Vlad's sandwich slave for an undefined length of time). And before he met Rod he had to bring in money somehow, because Nice Pete is more of a hobbyist than a career man and his hobbies only pay dividends in screams.

Also, after reading the cookbook I learned that Philippe really is full-blooded French and grew up in Bordeaux. Wonder what made his parents (or maybe just his mom) move to the States and shrug him off on a house full of weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Rollersnake posted:

I wanted some resolution to the Cornelius/Polly storyline. It ended abruptly and Polly was mentioned only once after that.

Also this has always been one of the most profoundly depressing Achewood strips, and there wasn't any doubt in my mind that it was due to Onstad's circumstances, but I only just now realized this was Molly's final appearance in the comic Molly disappeared from the strip entirely shortly after this.

One day, I'm going to show someone this strip to demonstrate something to them. I do not know what or who or when.