Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

shodanjr_gr posted:

Did they announce pricing for the C7 yet?

Nothing official yet other than "if you can afford the current Corvette, you can afford the new one." I bet it's around $50-60k starting price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've always loved the Corvette, and this new design is no different. Simply beautiful. I'm afraid to ask what it costs. I'm sure it falls into "if you have to ask, you can't ever afford it."

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm kind of bummed the LT1 only makes 450hp stock. I would hope they can wring a bit more power out of it with direct injection, variable valve timing, etc. Makes me think maybe they're holding a bit back for the Z06/future performance trims.

edit: ^^^^ That's the nice thing about the Corvette, it's the style and performance of exotic sports cars for a fraction of the cost. People buy loaded SUVs, minivans, and luxury sedans all day long for the same price as a Corvette--it's definitely within reach of the middle class.

Hell, I just went to toyota.com and saw you can option out a Prius to $40k!

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 14, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

edit: ^^^^ That's the nice thing about the Corvette, it's the style and performance of exotic sports cars for a fraction of the cost. People buy loaded SUVs, minivans, and luxury sedans all day long for the same price as a Corvette--it's definitely within reach of the middle class.

That's very true. The look can really make you think otherwise though, at least for me anyways. I took a look at that, and my knee jerk reaction was "yeah, that's probably priced like a Ferrari."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Alright Chevy, I'll admit it, you done good.

The styling is a little bit over-the-top for my personal taste, but it's a drat good looking car and that interior looks pretty killer. Hopefully the build quality can cash the checks that the exterior/interior styling is writing.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

mod sassinator posted:

I'm kind of bummed the LT1 only makes 450hp stock. I would hope they can wring a bit more power out of it with direct injection, variable valve timing, etc. Makes me think maybe they're holding a bit back for the Z06/future performance trims.

Hell, I just went to toyota.com and saw you can option out a Prius to $40k!

Based on the amount of torque the LT1 is putting out, the HP doesn't bother me. Plus they have to make sure there is room for the Z06!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

450hp, more torque, and possibly a noticeable improvement in fuel economy sounds just fine to me.

I can't wait to see if the interior is really as improved as the autoblog article lets on.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

The C7 looks way better than the renders, dat gurney flap :swoon:

the new (official, brochure quality) renders look way better than the old (unofficial, work in progress) renders would probably be more accurate. Unless they deliberately processed photos to look like Photo Mode from Gran Turismo 6.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I'm not entirely getting the qualms about the quad exhausts, its not like the corvette hasn't had center quad exhausts since 1997. They simply did what many corvette owners

I think the C7 is both a big jump forward and a natural evolution of the corvette. I love that it has an aero influenced vented hood and big brakes stock. This thing is going to be a hell of a track day car right out of the box before they even release a Z06 model.

Love the look, love the interior technology, wish I had the seats in my car, love the multi setting performance mode swtich and multi stage dual mode exhaust (with built in mild to wild switch), love the carbon fiber hood and roof panel (with option to have the panel bare cf), and will seriously consider one after my car is fully paid off in a few years.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I havent really been following the development of the C7 since they released those prototype images years ago. And I thought the prototype was ugly as hell.

Thank god the production version looks like a million times better.

And really, who can honestly look down upon it "only" having 450 horses? This is the BASE model! There will no doubt be a ZO6 model with god knows how many horses, and maybe even another ZR1 model. Remember, Chevy is still using what is fundamentally a very old engine design yet still seems to be extracting more and more power out of it. All the while keeping the reliability and warranty!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What I'm really looking forward to is seeing this thing in person at the Detroit Auto show :swoon:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

That will be sexy as hell. They better not cock block us just to wait if the GT class in the unified series becomes GT3 spec-ish. Also, GT5/Kaz! Davebo and I want to race that car sans-camo vinyl. It races so fun in GT5 and I want to see that car for what is. I forgot what the PP is for that car but would so change that car to a Trans-Am car.

e: Also imagine for the GTE car, ACO's rule of wide body cars, so fender flare on top of that. Come on Sebring.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 14, 2013

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

kill me now posted:

I think the C7 is both a big jump forward and a natural evolution of the corvette.

I'm not a Corvette fan but I think the C6 looks better. The C7 to me looks like a Chinese company made a knock off 599. I'm sure it'll be fast as hell, better value than the competition and a little tail happy in the corners. You know, everything that makes a vette a vette. It just wrong to me.

Edit: The auto blip on downshift is nice. I was just thinking today about how heal and toe is quickly becoming a antique skill.
Edit: E-parking brake is lame however.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 14, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Charliegrs posted:

And really, who can honestly look down upon it "only" having 450 horses? This is the BASE model! There will no doubt be a ZO6 model with god knows how many horses, and maybe even another ZR1 model. Remember, Chevy is still using what is fundamentally a very old engine design yet still seems to be extracting more and more power out of it.

The idea of using pushrods is old, but the engine is very modern. Lots of time spent developing the heads for flow and strengthening and lightning the block. In the C6, there's only 75 hp between the Z06 and the base. I don't expect the Z06 to go more than 550 this time round. Would be surprised if they supercharged it.

Supreme Allah posted:

Only two things I would change are the quad exhaust and split that rear window.

I dunno if they will be able to split the rear window and get the Feds to approve it. As cool as it might look outside, it'll be a bitch on the inside.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing the Z06 will be in the 550-600hp neighborhood with the ZR1 in the 700 range. There's no way they're going to let a Mustang top it hp-wise.

I love when I hear people talk about pushrod engines being "old technology". Didn't they come around after the first OHC designs? Even if they didn't it's not like OHC is some awesome new thing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
When was the last time a base model Corvette had a rear spoiler? Looking back on those leaked black and white computer shots, what I hated most about the rear can be boiled down to the top edge which didn't have a spoiler, and the bottom half just being the same grey color as the rest simply because it was a black & white render. The real car with the spoiler and the black bottom makes the difference, and I'm just wondering if that spoiler is an option you have to tack on.

Since they have those (I assume functional) rear brake cooling ducts, I'm wondering what they'll add/change to do the higher models. I just remember seeing so many people put those stick-on fake rear brake vents on their C5 and wow it's a Z06!

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

And really, who can honestly look down upon it "only" having 450 horses? This is the BASE model!

It's probably a psychological side-effect of being able to purchase ~650hp sports cars in the same price range. GM/Ford raised the bar in the ponies/$ department with the new GT500 and Camaro.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I dunno if they will be able to split the rear window and get the Feds to approve it. As cool as it might look outside, it'll be a bitch on the inside.
Well, the Mini Clubman has a split rear window, and you can get a Suburban with one too, so at least it's conceivable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

shodanjr_gr posted:

It's probably a psychological side-effect of being able to purchase ~650hp sports cars in the same price range. GM/Ford raised the bar in the ponies/$ department with the new GT500 and Camaro.

One would hope the extra money you spend on a Corvette goes into making it handle better. I love my Mustang, but let's face it, there's significant room for improvement before you even start discussing the power.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

PT6A posted:

One would hope the extra money you spend on a Corvette goes into making it handle better. I love my Mustang, but let's face it, there's significant room for improvement before you even start discussing the power.

I completely agree, the C7 is more than likely the far superior car overall. My point is that the hp/tq numbers of the 2012 year model pony cars probably somewhat skew the layman's expectations in terms of power for this price range. Hence the "only 450 hp" quotes.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I still think it looks horrible. All I see is Nissan, Audi, Ferrari, and JCWhitney with a Corvette badge.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I wonder if it still has a parts bin interior.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Since no one has posted the interior yet:

irreverent
Jun 6, 2006

Here's a nice little comparison shot between designs. I was a fan of the C6's styling until about 20 minutes ago when I ran across this image; now it seems so bland. I'm really impressed by the new direction the Corvette designers took.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Damnit this could have me reconsidering a GT3 later this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does on the road.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well here's an angle that just makes it look like the fattest rear end I've seen.

And here's a larger link to that promo shot you posted:

I liked that spoiler from the rear but from the front it sure seems kind of tall. Also I read there would be two seat options, a GT and a more performance seat. I assume those seats are the base GT types?

Also, does anyone get why they rehashed the Stingray name for this? It doesn't have any elements that remind me of the old Stingray. People buying mustang/challenger/camaros for the retro look aren't going to buy a completely modern looking car just because it has a name they remember from the late 60's, right?

Edit: here's a partial shot I found of the seats:

more high-res press photos at: http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/photos.detail.html/content/Pages/galleries/us/en/vehicles/chevrolet/2014/14corvette.html

Double-edit: vv drat you!

davebo fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 14, 2013

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
Here is a shot of the competition/sport seats.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
First Corvette I've ever really liked the look of. drat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Just realised this thing looks close to the kind of car I would draw as a 10 year old - wild, silly poo poo like quad pipes, aircraft cockpit interior, huge V8.....

My inner 10 year old wants this car and wants it NOW. I'm pretty sure the more sensible part wont say no either.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Speaking of Corvettes...

Yeah, that's a Fisker Karma. Except they've taken out the extended range EV stuff and will be replacing it with either the new LT1 out of the hideous 2014 Corvette or the LS9 out of the ZR1 Corvette. Production is slated to begin in the next few months.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Devyl posted:

Speaking of Corvettes...

Yeah, that's a Fisker Karma. Except they've taken out the extended range EV stuff and will be replacing it with either the new LT1 out of the hideous 2014 Corvette or the LS9 out of the ZR1 Corvette. Production is slated to begin in the next few months.

Do you have a source on this?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Devyl posted:

Speaking of Corvettes...

The Fisker Bad Karma?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

irreverent posted:

Here's a nice little comparison shot between designs. I was a fan of the C6's styling until about 20 minutes ago when I ran across this image; now it seems so bland. I'm really impressed by the new direction the Corvette designers took.

This comparison picture just made the C7 infinitely sexier than the C6. :swoon:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

AlmightyPants posted:

Do you have a source on this?

Enjoy two.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
The poor C5 looks so hopelessly 90's now too. I remember when it was brand new and the sexiest car on the road:

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Interesting. I remember seeing a coachbuilt Fisker or two back when he was reboding Mercedes SLs and BMW 6s. Now there's a Fisker dealership a couple miles away and I do see them when I'm out, although not nearly as much as Bentleys, Mercedes and Porsches in the same niche. I'd imagine this is going to be a very limited sort of deal with a ridiculous price - if it undercuts the Karma that would be bonkers.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

mod sassinator posted:

The poor C5 looks so hopelessly 90's now too. I remember when it was brand new and the sexiest car on the road:

The only upside to the C7 is the C5 and the C6 will be cheaper... And just in time for me as I'll be looking for something fun & sporty in the upcoming months. Might even be able to get a 2-for-1 special :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have to say that the new 'Vette looks way better than in the leaked photos. That said, the rear end with its gray plastic, quad pipes and a bunch of random shapes still looks like poo poo. The Viper's rear end, even with the cheesy CF part, is just so much cleaner and nicer to look at.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
I like the 'vette rear end better...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

irreverent posted:

I was a fan of the C6's styling until about 20 minutes ago when I ran across this image; now it seems so bland. I'm really impressed by the new direction the Corvette designers took.

See, when I look at those pictures the C6 doesn't look bland, it looks clean and sleek. The words that come to mind looking at the C7 are messy, busy, disjointed. It has lines everywhere, half of them for seemingly no reason. It kind of reminds me of modern Ferraris but not in a good way.

I think CatTerrist hit the nail on the head it looks like it was designed by a 10 year old, possibly with ADD. Oddly I think that's why, while I don't particularly like it, I don't hate it either. My inner 10 year old won't let me.