Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Gorilla Salad posted:

As cute as it seems, I sure it wears off when you're woken at 3 in the morning because Yoona's found a chicken foot, stuck a piece of corn on it and just HAS to show you how funny it is.

You see, Yuri, pretty women, they have a bit of irritation...

The court room scene in SNSD and the Dangerous Boys is also amazing for similar Yoona-centric reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GQmOFLjIcM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Sunny having a go at anyone's Aegyo is the most hilariously hypocritical thing.

Caught Kim Sori's double life performance on a Music Bank stream, only caught the last 40 seconds but she stood rock still while the dancers danced around her.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

Cassa posted:

Sunny having a go at anyone's Aegyo is the most hilariously hypocritical thing.

Nope. It's Michael Jordan beating someone in one on one.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
Is there any regular source for new Muhan Dojeon episodes? I'm having a lot of fun burning through the collection but I'm already up to the early 200s and there aren't really that many left.

Also, it's fun seeing things like Lee Hyori show up the day after Family Outing finished, or remembering everyone talking about NHC breaking up with his girlfriend in Heroes. Or, remembering Hara on Invincible Youth when Lupin came out and seeing her on the MD bungee jump episode. It feels anthropological, kind of like exploring the artifacts of a lost civilization.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

strangeless posted:

Is there any regular source for new Muhan Dojeon episodes? I'm having a lot of fun burning through the collection but I'm already up to the early 200s and there aren't really that many left.

Unfortunately no, the only group that does releases is DDD and their odd release schedule and the fact that you have to download raws, make watching IC fairly challenging. :v: I'm honestly surprised that kshow or dramafever hasn't decided to sub it regularly, isn't IC one of the top variety shows?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lyer posted:

Unfortunately no, the only group that does releases is DDD and their odd release schedule and the fact that you have to download raws, make watching IC fairly challenging. :v: I'm honestly surprised that kshow or dramafever hasn't decided to sub it regularly, isn't IC one of the top variety shows?

KShowNow said on their twitter a couple days ago that they'll be subbing the recent IC episodes that featured G-Dragon as a guest, and if enough people watch, they'll make IC a regular subbing show in the future. Fingers crossed!

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

qbert posted:

KShowNow said on their twitter a couple days ago that they'll be subbing the recent IC episodes that featured G-Dragon as a guest, and if enough people watch, they'll make IC a regular subbing show in the future. Fingers crossed!

Hmm... If they're talking about the Muhan Company episode series, then I'm not sure that's a good idea. A lot of the jokes seem rather tailored towards people who have worked in a Korean company--cultural subtleties that might be missed. Maybe it'll be general enough for people who've worked outside Korea as well, but I fear that many of the funny bits may fly over the head of the viewers.

Hope the reaction is positive enough. If they're doing the GD parts of the song festivals, then I guess that's fine?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Archer2338 posted:

Hmm... If they're talking about the Muhan Company episode series, then I'm not sure that's a good idea. A lot of the jokes seem rather tailored towards people who have worked in a Korean company--cultural subtleties that might be missed. Maybe it'll be general enough for people who've worked outside Korea as well, but I fear that many of the funny bits may fly over the head of the viewers.

Hope the reaction is positive enough. If they're doing the GD parts of the song festivals, then I guess that's fine?

It's going to be the Muhan Company episodes. I guess KShow asked people to vote in what episodes they wanted subbed, and most people picked those, I'm guessing because they're G-Dragon fans?

I've seen other Muhan Company subbed episodes, and I still found them pretty funny. Although I'm sure a lot of jokes flew over my head.

Personally, I'd pay money to have someone sub the drat final episode of HaHa vs Hong Chul already!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I know for U.S. television there are a whole bunch of websites for clothes nerds to find out where they can buy the poo poo people wore on TV shows--is there an equivalent for Korean television? I have no idea where to start looking for it but I want Ji Hyo's bunny sweater vest from episode 11 of Running Man sooo badly:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

If you go to the isubs forum, there is a thread that ID's various clothing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Literally any clothing store in Korea will have stuff like that. I don't know where you'd get it without living in Asia but there's probably some weeaboo site for it.

I'll buy stuff and send it to you for significant markups and personal profit.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Buy me all the new Hyoyeon SNSD items.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Selling Gangnam Style Socks with little hand-stitched PSYs for $20.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Those idol socks are kind of awesome? I would rock a pair of Sunnys if they came in giant adult man size

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are socks of basically anything you can think of. I have a pair of Che Guevara socks kicking around somewhere.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I have problems finding socks in my size for my ridiculous clown feet even in the Netherlands. It would probably be easier to wear actual idols.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

reflir posted:

It would probably be easier to wear actual idols.

I had this idea too, but they ended up being too bony to be comfortable.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I dunno, idols are ridiculously tiny.

Look at Goo Hara next to Suk Jin and Ji Hyo, she'd have to be in the children's section.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

One of my friends was just telling me earlier that she bought XXS clothes in the US and they were equivalent to M here. It's weird since younger post-famine Koreans are basically the same size as Americans. There's a teacher at my school taller, bigger, and with the same size feet as me. I don't know where he shops in this country; I get all my clothes imported.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Grand Fromage posted:

One of my friends was just telling me earlier that she bought XXS clothes in the US and they were equivalent to M here. It's weird since younger post-famine Koreans are basically the same size as Americans. There's a teacher at my school taller, bigger, and with the same size feet as me. I don't know where he shops in this country; I get all my clothes imported.

I think for females, the sizes are smaller than US, but for males, the difference isn't too huge, I think. A US small might be a Medium over in Korea, depending on the fit, or it might be roughly equivalent. For all personal anecdotes are worth, I usually buy a medium hoddie in the US but tend to go for a large in Korea due to length issues. If you have big/wide feet though, shopping for shoes is a pain and you always have to put in a order through their registry or something.

Korean girls seem to be slimmer/smaller on average than American ones (not saying that's good/bad).

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Archer2338 posted:

To be honest I really like the unfamiliar stuff. It lets me learn about the culture. I was really glad when KBS world started subbing the "visitors to Seoul" skit on Gag Concert because now I can recognize a Seoul accent vs "standard" accent.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Archer2338 posted:

I think for females, the sizes are smaller than US, but for males, the difference isn't too huge, I think. A US small might be a Medium over in Korea, depending on the fit, or it might be roughly equivalent. For all personal anecdotes are worth, I usually buy a medium hoddie in the US but tend to go for a large in Korea due to length issues. If you have big/wide feet though, shopping for shoes is a pain and you always have to put in a order through their registry or something.

Korean girls seem to be slimmer/smaller on average than American ones (not saying that's good/bad).

From what I understand the sizing label is different even when compared to Canada. Americans are just fat, that's no secret. :v:

What are you guys talking about, idol socks?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Like I would just be tooling around the city with Taeyeon on one leg and Sunny on the other, and people would come up to me and say "why do you have asian girls on your person?" and I would say "idol socks"

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
I remember a funny story that either Yoona or Yuri told on a talk show involving said idol socks.

Apparently, they had to attend a funeral without the time to change, so they went in whatever casual clothes they had on hand that looked somber. They go to bow/kowtow, except Yoona has socks with Yuri doing a V on the soles (I guess it's since she flipped them, except when kowtowing the base of your feet can be seen by those behind you), and so Yuri has to try super hard to not laugh at a funeral. :v:

I might have the girls mixed up however; all I know is that it's Yoona/Yuri from SNSD.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

strangeless posted:

To be honest I really like the unfamiliar stuff. It lets me learn about the culture. I was really glad when KBS world started subbing the "visitors to Seoul" skit on Gag Concert because now I can recognize a Seoul accent vs "standard" accent.

Seoul accent is standard Korean, actually. There are several others. I live in the southeast and have learned Gyeongsang, which is probably the biggest of the non-standard accents. Different vowels. Southwest (Jeolla) accent even has some different verbs, Jeju accent is really different, and North Korean is distinct.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

To my untrained ear, Busan accent sounds more... countrified? More relaxed, less formal maybe. Is that how it is?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The formality is the same, but it's louder. To me Korean is a screamed language in general but Gyeongsang is even more so.

People in Seoul would agree with you, they generally disdain anything outside of Seoul as being country bumpkin land, Busan included. Think of a Manhattanite stereotype.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lyer posted:

What are you guys talking about, idol socks?

(and the like)

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
And to think i asked for plain ones at chrsitmas.:cripes:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Are these a big "thing" in Asia?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like that the socks all look the same just like the real people!

Cartoon socks of all sorts are common in Korea, kids and adults. I don't remember seeing any in China. I would bet they're around in Japan but I was too busy putting sushi in my face to look.

I sent Sapporo and Mario socks in my SASSmas box.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, it's funny to me that the cartoons are so basic/stylized that they're basically indistinguishable except for the hair (and when they have the idol's name on them) because idols change their hair all the time!!! Goddamnit, socks!!

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Iris season 2 2013-Feb-13

Can't wait.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nexal posted:

Iris season 2 2013-Feb-13

Can't wait.

Do I need to have watched Iris and Athena to enjoy it?

Should I watch Iris or Athena?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

qbert posted:

Do I need to have watched Iris and Athena to enjoy it?

Should I watch Iris or Athena?

You should watch Iris.
Athena is pretty much just a spin off of Iris.
There's some unanswered questions from season 1 of Iris but i'm not sure if they are gonna answer those at all in season 2.
That being said in order to fully maximize the enjoyment of second season watch Iris season 1.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
They are most definitely going to spoil IRIS for you when you watch IRIS 2. Watch the first one so that doesn't happen. And once again I will say gently caress that ending holy poo poo gently caress it SO HARD.

Athena ties into it as well, but I don't know how much. It wouldn't hurt to watch that too, because I doubt it's awful or anything.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Which one had the main protagonist get head shot at the lighthouse at the finale? I had to suffer with lovely internet during my deployment to the sandy places of the world to see that series and that ending pissed me off to no end.

Guess I should rewatch them.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

nullscan posted:

Which one had the main protagonist get head shot at the lighthouse at the finale? I had to suffer with lovely internet during my deployment to the sandy places of the world to see that series and that ending pissed me off to no end.

Guess I should rewatch them.

Iris.

On another note watching Que sera sera and i almost choked to death here when all of sudden a scene pops up where a korean man is watching a swedish movie which was subbed to korean(note i'm swedish/finnish)

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Good poo poo going down http://www.asianjunkie.com/2013/01/kepa-mad-at-infinity-challenge-for-releasing-songs-should-focus-on-themselves-instead/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Saw that a few days ago, utterly laughable. You know who that's really coming from right? Everyone's favorite giant piece of poo poo, CCM's Kim Kwang Soo.

• Locked thread