Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

If its like a light plug, maybe, but a lot of places have desks with plugs specifically for phones and computers.

Thought you might ask.

Penal Code (刑法), Law of 1907; forget the act - 44? 45? but it's Chapter XXXVI.

第三十六章 窃盗及び強盗の罪 (窃盗) 第二百三十五条 他人の財物を窃取した者は、窃盗の罪とし、十年以下の懲役又は五十万円以下の罰金に処する。

Specifically, Article No. 245
(電気)- 第二百四十五条 この章の罪については、電気は、財物とみなす。

as such, Under Robbery and Theft, electricity is considered property.

Therefore; if you charge your phone without prior consent, you may be charged under this law. I believe if they go ahead with it, it can be off to the labor camps for ~10 years (serial & "tier 3" offenders) or fine that's <500,000JPY (most of the situations i've seen, they charge rates between 3-5x of what you used along with plea, in settlement. Additional charges if something goes haywire it can be blamed on you.) the article was added because of the influx of teenagers charging their cellphones back in the day; it added quite a bill to the government and railways.

98% of the time they will bust your chops/give you a stern "no, you can't charge your phone here" as you're a foreigner and not likely know of the law. The law was also written for well, theft of electricity (I presume meaning, "i'm stealing my neighbor's utilities and not paying!") but it's also pretty much up to interpretation, so it's up to you. It has occurred, though.

If an outlet isn't designated as a 'charging station', it's always polite to ask first :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
The only cases of "touden" prosecutions I could find were cases of people unplugging signs/vending machines and the like and than using that. I find it hard to believe that they're going to burst into a Starbucks and round up everyone using their laptop. You'd have to be pretty
douchey to just start unplugging public items and use them for yourself though.

That being said, I have a hard time believing even most Japanese are anal enough to get upset about someone charging their phone on an open outlet. Although give what I've heard about the recent dancing law crackdown, anything is possible I guess.

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 4, 2013

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

EasternBronze posted:

Whats the deal with this 'plugging in phone' bs? I've never had a problem before with using charging my computer/phone there.

Maybe its just because I never leave Kansai :smug:

I'm in Kansai.

Places I've been bollocked:

The Starbucks next to the TH store in Motomachi
The Starbucks in that circle building across the road from South Gate Exit, Umeda

I am OK fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 4, 2013

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Wow I'm legit kind of stunned, the idea that they don't want you to use the electricity in a STARBUCKS is just so :psyduck: to me.

My go-to Starbucks out there is the one in Sannomiya though. Never bothered sitting down in the others.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
The Motomachi one is nice. They have this table the size of a football field that people do their homework on that gives the place a good atmosphere.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

I am OK posted:

The Motomachi one is nice. They have this table the size of a football field that people do their homework on that gives the place a good atmosphere.

Is that upstairs or something? Or in the back? I live right by there but have only been in the storefront; didn't realize there was more to the place.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
It's right by the window. Remember that there are two Starbucks' in Motomachi so you might be talking about a different one to me.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

EasternBronze posted:

That being said, I have a hard time believing even most Japanese are anal enough to get upset about someone charging their phone on an open outlet. Although give what I've heard about the recent dancing law crackdown, anything is possible I guess.

They are more anal about being impolite than anything else. It's more of the principle of the thing, I guess. They have designated charging areas; and if not, you're supposed to ask for permission. It's a coffee store, you can bring your laptop if you want, but it doesn't mean you can use their electricity! :v:

the reality is, places like starbucks, they just tell you to charge elsewhere. the metro cops might be a bit more strict. Anyway, it's not something you'd really want to push in the first place out of courtesy, but can be an interesting tidbit of culture shock - like the ever-infuriating fact there's very few trash cans around. If you push the matter ("be a douche"), just know the law is behind them.

It's completely different stateside where you can just pretty much plug in wherever you want, be it starbucks or some restaurant, or even peruse public utility outlets (i.e. outside of stores). Then again, the electricity rates in the U.S. are far cheaper than those in Japan.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Welp given that I don't keep up a phone subscription for the few weeks at a time I go there, I hope that the Starbucks employee speaks English really well. :colbert:

"すみません、本店ではご充電の遠慮をお願いいたします。。。"
Sorry whats that bro Tanaka? I can't speak Japanese :fsmug:

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 4, 2013

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
It's not a big deal, just a bit shocking when it happens. I was pretty staggered the first time. The only reason I did it the second time was because I was desperate for juice.

I am OK fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 4, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

EasternBronze posted:

"すみません、本店ではご充電の遠慮をお願いいたします。。。"
Sorry whats that bro? I can't speak Japanese :fsmug:

Jesus Christ, don't be a cock.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

If they don't want to provide the service one can expect from any Starbucks I've walked into in half a dozen countries than maybe they should call it something else, like ケチ喫茶。

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 4, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

EasternBronze posted:

If they don't want to provide the service one can expect from any Starbucks I've walked into in half a dozen countries than maybe they should call it something else, like ケチ喫茶。

Wah wah wah they don't let me do what I want to do so I'm going to pull an "idiot foreigner" and bull my way into doing what I want to do wah wah wah.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Hey, they've got their tricks and I've got mine. :colbert:

Edit: Vaguely related, but in China I met a woman who majored in Japanese at her university, and she told me that I was "the first foreigner she had met who could speak Japanese".

Except of course herself and her Chinese classmates, right? :rolleye: Good to see they are transmitting the culture right along with the language.

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 4, 2013

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

EasternBronze posted:

Except of course herself and her Chinese classmates, right? :rolleye: Good to see they are transmitting the culture right along with the language.

This is one of those things that is a mindfuck to explain to people who haven't lived here. Like, Chinese and Koreans may still be gaijin but they're less gaijin than the rest of us non-Asians, or something along those lines.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Foreigner just really means non-Chinese, though I am sure she didn't include Japanese people (if she had met any). It is just a quirck of the language and nothing else.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

EasternBronze posted:

Hey, they've got their tricks and I've got mine. :colbert:

Edit: Vaguely related, but in China I met a woman who majored in Japanese at her university, and she told me that I was "the first foreigner she had met who could speak Japanese".

In Japanese, gaijin often has the connotation of Westerner. Gaikokujin less so, but sometimes. It's part of the language and in context when you're saying something about gaijin, people will generally understand that you don't mean Chinese/Koreans.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Yes, that was my point。

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

EasternBronze posted:

Yes, that was my point。

Then what was the point in stating the obvious? Haha stupid Chinese girl understands the semantics of Japanese?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Skandiaavity posted:

Unless it's a major western hotel, resounding no. Wifi in Japan is pretty sparse.

Your best bet is to buy a Mobile hotspot to go. They do have wifi but it's mostly "members only" in Japan (as in, no free wifi). Also, another difference was you can't just walk in a cafe and plug your charger and start charging your phone. It's illegal there; You have to ask for permission first.

Almost every place I've stayed in Japan has had WiFi, but I pretty much always stay at hostels.

The weird thing is when you go to a friends house and you can't use their internet because they only get one ethernet connection per house and you can't use it unless you install their ISP's PPP client.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

teddust posted:

Almost every place I've stayed in Japan has had WiFi, but I pretty much always stay at hostels.

The weird thing is when you go to a friends house and you can't use their internet because they only get one ethernet connection per house and you can't use it unless you install their ISP's PPP client.

This is why I have a wireless router with a VLAN. Not that anyone ever comes over.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

I am OK posted:

It's right by the window. Remember that there are two Starbucks' in Motomachi so you might be talking about a different one to me.

You're probably thinking of Excelsior Cafe. I looked in and noticed a big table when I walked by this evening. The Starbucks is down the other end of the street, near the Motomachi-Chukagai Station #5 Exit. Not that it really matters; jut don't want visitors trekking up and down the street looking for Starbucks but missing what they're searching for.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Hint: There's more than one Motomachi in Japan

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hint: There's more than one Motomachi in Japan

Well, there you go!

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
Leaving for Tokyo in just a few days and most of my schedule is under wraps, but there are a number of larger gigs/concerts I really want to hit up. For bigger things like music festivals or big name shows, I'm not sure I want to run the risk of buying tickets at the door - what's the verdict on this in Tokyo anyway, do big names (For example, something as well known as Capsule or Kyary) typically sell out?
I noticed most of the bigger shows I want to go see offer e+ ticket purchases online, my Japanese is pretty average so trying to work the e+ stuff out has been a pain. Does anybody have an experience booking tickets on e+? Is it a safe option for a foreigner and should I be waiting until I land in Japan to actually purchase any tickets or can I do it entirely online?

E: From what I understand, there are credit card options and options to pick up from Lawsons, as well as something about courier delivery, though I'm not sure if those are all part of the same thing. Like, if I pay by credit card do I have to pick up a ticket at Lawsons? Or is that option just so I can go into a Lawsons, give them an event code and buy a ticket there?

diddy kongs feet fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 12, 2013

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

milk thug posted:

Leaving for Tokyo in just a few days and most of my schedule is under wraps, but there are a number of larger gigs/concerts I really want to hit up. For bigger things like music festivals or big name shows, I'm not sure I want to run the risk of buying tickets at the door - what's the verdict on this in Tokyo anyway, do big names (For example, something as well known as Capsule or Kyary) typically sell out?
I noticed most of the bigger shows I want to go see offer e+ ticket purchases online, my Japanese is pretty average so trying to work the e+ stuff out has been a pain. Does anybody have an experience booking tickets on e+? Is it a safe option for a foreigner and should I be waiting until I land in Japan to actually purchase any tickets or can I do it entirely online?

E: From what I understand, there are credit card options and options to pick up from Lawsons, as well as something about courier delivery, though I'm not sure if those are all part of the same thing. Like, if I pay by credit card do I have to pick up a ticket at Lawsons? Or is that option just so I can go into a Lawsons, give them an event code and buy a ticket there?

I think that 7-11 uses the e+ system so if you can get the code for the concert you can just input it in directly. I'd imagine it would be too big of a hassle to set things up from overseas.

Big gigs sell out right away, although Capsule is still fairly underground so you shouldn't have too many problems seeing them. Kyary is popular in the mainstream so that might be more difficult.

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
Hi all,
will be in Tokyo from April 2nd and wanted to go out for some good sushi around the 5th at night, Jiro's is too expensive and I don't think I would enjoy a 20min meal. Anyone have any good suggestions for a restaurant? My budget is a max. of 30,000yen/£200. I will be phoning up to book a reservation for 1. If needed my hotel is in Akasaka.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
plenty of good sushi places. do you mind specifying what type of sushi you're interested - or not interested in?

(as in, Have you been to Japan before, or did you just want to try a sample platter or is your favorite fish Salmon/Eel/Squid whatever?)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want fancy try kyubei. http://www.kyubey.jp/index_e.html 6,000 yen for a decent assorted sushi, and 10,000 yen for balls to the walls good.

My go to best middle tier taste/price ratio is sushi sanmai. Their assorted tuna set for 3150 yen is the bomb. The Shibuya store is 24 hours open! Think there's one near aksaka. yeah it's yurakocho station and it's 24 hours too! https://plus.google.com/114184461930075215023/about?gl=jp&hl=ja http://www.kiyomura.co.jp/shops/search/

Sushi is good, but do give the fried food and ramen a shot. Tsunahachi - http://www.tunahachi.co.jp/en/ good fried ice cream, good wheel cake tempura. Middle tier tempura without breaking the bank. You can splurge at the Peninsula hotel but it's really pricey.

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010

Skandiaavity posted:

plenty of good sushi places. do you mind specifying what type of sushi you're interested - or not interested in?

(as in, Have you been to Japan before, or did you just want to try a sample platter or is your favorite fish Salmon/Eel/Squid whatever?)

I've never been to japan before but have tried various sushi such as sashimi (tuna, octopus and salmon), nigiri and the typical california rolls. I would like a place that does either omekase (not sure of the spelling) or does a set of a variety of things. I'm not a picky eater and really want to try things I won't get at home. Thanks for the tempura suggestion Caberham, will defo set time aside to go visit.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, for variety, I think conveyer belt sushi is pretty good, especially since you can see it beforehand. I like magurobito in asakusa. Decent quality and well within your budget.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

totalnewbie posted:

Well, for variety, I think conveyer belt sushi is pretty good, especially since you can see it beforehand. I like magurobito in asakusa. Decent quality and well within your budget.

Yeah that place is cool and has a nice variety. Go early if you can, line forms quick. I think they open at 11.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
With regards to teaching, does having a Masters affect contracts? I know several people who have gotten hired at private English schools overseas and it generally pays more- even if they have a bachelors in education versus other degrees. I want to teach abroad and Japan is probably my number one, I figure it's best to do it while I'm young. Are couples preferred?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
A Masters and experience will open more doors for you, so you can take a stab at teaching at private schools (or even universities as an assistant) rather than just being an ALT or working at an eikaiwa.

Couples aren't necessarily preferred since it means more paperwork, but I don't think being married necessarily a detriment either since it indicates a certain amount of personal stability.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

llbdtiberio posted:

I've never been to japan before but have tried various sushi such as sashimi (tuna, octopus and salmon), nigiri and the typical california rolls. I would like a place that does either omekase (not sure of the spelling) or does a set of a variety of things. I'm not a picky eater and really want to try things I won't get at home. Thanks for the tempura suggestion Caberham, will defo set time aside to go visit.

yeah try some other stuff like Nasu dengaku (eggplant with a variety of sauces), maybe okonomiyaki.. King crab tempura is great.

Conveyor sushi places are pretty neat, won't be "the best drat sushi" but they're pretty good for the uniquness. In Ginza Station, there's a basement full of several floors; one has several sushi joints that are sit-down and pretty good. (California rolls are an american thing so you dont have to worry about those.)

Really, it's kinda like asking for a 'good burger' in the U.S. - pretty much any place that doesn't look like McDonalds/Burger King/etc will have something good. Might not be the best but it'll be satisfying.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Nabe, shabu-shabu, sukiyaki, soba, udon, ramen...

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Welp, I've got 11 nights coming up in a while. Thinking of spending 7 in Tokyo and 4 in Kyoto and doing some day trips out from each, but really not sure yet. What are the amusement parks like? I love me some crazy roller coasters.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sushidai is another easy choice for mid-range sushi. I'm usually in and out for ~6000 yen per head.

The people on Tripadvisor are talking about lining up for breakfast at the Sushidai inside the fish market:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1066444-d1663012-Reviews-Sushidai-Chuo_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

I've never been to that one inside the fish market itself. Instead I've always gone to the "main" one instead, for dinner:
http://www.tsukiji-sushidai.com/shop/honkan.html

Longest I've ever lined up is ~20 minutes. That's saying a lot because I otherwise never line up for food.
edit: and to be clear, I will probably never line up for 3 hours for any food, anywhere.

While I'd call it low-range instead of mid-range, Sushi Zanmai is definitely my goto place if it's just me and my friends though. But that owes heavily to the location, the one right outside Shimbashi station is ultra-convenient for me.

Captain Matchbox posted:

Welp, I've got 11 nights coming up in a while. Thinking of spending 7 in Tokyo and 4 in Kyoto and doing some day trips out from each, but really not sure yet. What are the amusement parks like? I love me some crazy roller coasters.

Fuji-Q Highland has good roller coasters, it's an easy daytrip from Tokyo: http://www.fujiq.jp/en/
Go on in the middle of the week and there should be almost no lines for anything.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 15, 2013

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, was honestly not sure if good sushi is as hit and miss as here in Scotland so wanted to check. Have a long list of all the foods I want to try while in Tokyo and Kyoto, I defo won't starve!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Captain Matchbox posted:

Fuji-Q is cool, but I also recommend Nagashima Spa Land in Mie. Many more roller coasters than Fuji-Q, and some, like Steel Dragon 2000 are absolutely on the same level as the famous Fuji-Q ones. There are day trips by bus from Kyoto: http://www.sunshinetour.co.jp/nagashima/1day/b.html

• Locked thread