Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AgentHaiTo posted:

And what's the deal with the red and black leather jacket hanging with all her guns. It looked bloody.

It's a jacket from the judged clan. She's thinking about the difference between taking down a gang of fake judges and two real ones. At least that was my interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AgentHaiTo posted:

I am a bit disappointed that we probably won't be seeing a sequel, because I was actually liking Anderson more than Dredd the second time around, and wanted to see more of that character.

Dredd's not designed to be a likable character in any sort of way while Anderson serves as a more vulnerable, inexperienced contrast character.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Baron Bifford posted:

I felt the same thing (people are going to hate me for bringing this up again). The food court joke was really the only truly satirical moment in the film. Everything else is played pretty straight. There's a lot of extreme violence, but extreme violence is not satire.

When Dredd enters Peachtrees court where the three dead bodies are. There's three skinned bodies that fell 200 stories and there's people in the crowd talking about taking pictures and uploading them to "dredd universe internet."

Isn't that satire or do I have it all wrong?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

AgentHaiTo posted:

Also, Mama mentions something about one of the Sectors they may expand to being "Red". What does that mean? And what's the deal with the red and black leather jacket hanging with all her guns. It looked bloody.

I thought it was from a gang that she took over when she was gaining power in the tower. It stood for the fact that she will eventually be overthrown and remind people what she did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figured there was some backstory to it that had the Judged where the toughest Clan she had to take down, and when she took them down, she took their leaders jacket as a trophy. You can see in a flashback Mama carrying the jacket almost loveingly while some dude is lead away.

Am I wrong to assume that Dredd has always been a British view of the violence that America embraces so easily, either in its media or in its real life. Dredd embodies the hyper violent, hyper masculine character that would be so popular in the following decade.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Am I wrong to assume that Dredd has always been a British view of the violence that America embraces so easily, either in its media or in its real life. Dredd embodies the hyper violent, hyper masculine character that would be so popular in the following decade.

According to Wikipedia, there was an element of parodying Dirty Harry, so probably.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vagabundo posted:

According to Wikipedia, there was an element of parodying Dirty Harry, so probably.

Well, we all know about "according to Wiki". In this case it's mostly right, though. Dredd was partially inspired by a strip called One Eyed Jack from the comic Action, the titular character in which is literally a renamed Harry Callahan with an eye patch. Pat Mills wanted a similar "future lawman" story for 2000AD, and Action's frequently ultraviolent style carried over.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This movie was pretty good. It was refreshing to see an action movie that was not 2 hours long and was simple, to the point, and concisely executed without trying to over develop itself. I came expecting to see some dude shoot people and that is what I got.

It reminded me a lot of The Raid minus all the martial arts.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Sylink posted:

It reminded me a lot of The Raid minus all the martial arts.

When Dredd came out a lot of people compared it unfavourably to The Raid, but to be honest I actually preferred it. The Raid took a big nose dive in quality in the second part, Dredd kept its quality throughout.

twistedmentat posted:

In fairness, Britons lapped up American big screen neo-fascists as well. Dredd is probably meant as much of a parody of (British) Conservatism as anything else, although cold-war US propaganda, cop movies and the like are the key narrative influences. He's certainly not a sympathetic hero, even if his actions are justifiable at a practical or political level.

It's a shame that the film didn't really show either extreme of the original comics, the comical subcultures of Megacity One against the complex morality of the Judges. But it was certainly a loyal representation of Dredd on show.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Shade2142 posted:

When Dredd enters Peachtrees court where the three dead bodies are. There's three skinned bodies that fell 200 stories and there's people in the crowd talking about taking pictures and uploading them to "dredd universe internet."

Isn't that satire or do I have it all wrong?

No that was totally a thing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was from a gang that she took over when she was gaining power in the tower. It stood for the fact that she will eventually be overthrown and remind people what she did.

Yeah, after looking it up again I'm pretty sure the jacket is from this guy (note the ribbed shoulders and back design):

For referene, here's the shot of her trophy case:

I like how this movie uses such opportunities to flesh out the background without wasting time on exposition. "Show, don't tell" done right.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Just saw this and man it was very good. I really like Karl Urban, even enjoyed Pathfinder to an extent, so a genuinely good action flick with him is just fantastic.

Also I was surprised how well they handled the new-guy the audience experiences the film through. She wasn't a bland character and even the whole psychic angle was very well done and resulted in some genuine laughs.

Wouldn't recommend this to everyone but if you like action flicks and can stomach blood and guts this is totally worth checking out.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I did enjoy the movie, but I'm not sure how well a sequel would work even if it didn't perform disappointingly - Dredd doesn't exactly seem to be a guy given to character growth (he's barely a character at all), and we know Anderson can't be the lead because action movies with female leads don't get made unless her name is Angelina Jolie. I don't know what they could do with the sequel to make it interesting, barring a big change in tone and bringing in those zombie judges people were posting a few pages back.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well Anderson would carry that weight and most people seemed to really like her so it'd probably work well. They'd also be focusing on a new villain and I don't think you need much else for a Dredd story

Judge Dredds development will come via new and exciting ways to kill and arrest perps:clint:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

wyoak posted:

I did enjoy the movie, but I'm not sure how well a sequel would work even if it didn't perform disappointingly - Dredd doesn't exactly seem to be a guy given to character growth (he's barely a character at all), and we know Anderson can't be the lead because action movies with female leads don't get made unless her name is Angelina Jolie. I don't know what they could do with the sequel to make it interesting, barring a big change in tone and bringing in those zombie judges people were posting a few pages back.

The only way to make an absolutely certain character grow is to give him doubts, and that's what happens to Dredd in the democracy storyline that was one of the plans for a sequel. After sabotaging a peaceful democracy rally so the leaders of the city's Democratic movement could be imprisoned on spurious charges, Dredd starts to wonder if the authority of the Judges is worth preserving if being in power is more important to them than the protection of honest citizens. It's a the start of a long path that ends with Dredd taking the Long Walk.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

The only way to make an absolutely certain character grow is to give him doubts, and that's what happens to Dredd in the democracy storyline that was one of the plans for a sequel. After sabotaging a peaceful democracy rally so the leaders of the city's Democratic movement could be imprisoned on spurious charges, Dredd starts to wonder if the authority of the Judges is worth preserving if being in power is more important to them than the protection of honest citizens. It's a the start of a long path that ends with Dredd taking the Long Walk.

Also the fact that Anderson was introduced is a good indicator that they wanted to bring in the Judge Death.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Also the fact that Anderson was introduced is a good indicator that they wanted to bring in the Judge Death.

Alex Garland saying that his first draft script was the Dark Judges until he realised it would require the world to be established was an even better indicator.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

Alex Garland saying that his first draft script was the Dark Judges until he realised it would require the world to be established was an even better indicator.

I did not read that interview, so I did not know that. However, I know how Anderson started and her first major storyline involved. So I assumed that having her in the films was a big clue that he wanted to use Judge Death and most likly end the trilogy with her death stopping him.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

bobkatt013 posted:

I did not read that interview, so I did not know that. However, I know how Anderson started and her first major storyline involved. So I assumed that having her in the films was a big clue that he wanted to use Judge Death and most likly end the trilogy with her death stopping him.

I haven't reached the Necropolis storyline yet in my Case Files, so thanks for that. I bow to your Dredd-reading powers which are totally cooler than knowing about relevant Alex Garland interviews & kindly sharing them with other fans on the internet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BisonDollah posted:

I haven't reached the Necropolis storyline yet in my Case Files, so thanks for that. I bow to your Dredd-reading powers which are totally cooler than knowing about relevant Alex Garland interviews & kindly sharing them with other fans on the internet.

In her very first appearence in case file 2 she takes Judge Death into her body to stop him. I was just speculating based off of that story.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I hadn't ever gone out of my way to pick up a DVD on release day before, but I couldn't help popping out at lunch to buy this. I caught it a couple of times in the cinema, but it was great to watch this again in plain ol' 2d with everyone's observations in mind.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kegluneq posted:

When Dredd came out a lot of people compared it unfavourably to The Raid, but to be honest I actually preferred it. The Raid took a big nose dive in quality in the second part, Dredd kept its quality throughout.

In fairness, Britons lapped up American big screen neo-fascists as well. Dredd is probably meant as much of a parody of (British) Conservatism as anything else, although cold-war US propaganda, cop movies and the like are the key narrative influences. He's certainly not a sympathetic hero, even if his actions are justifiable at a practical or political level.

It's a shame that the film didn't really show either extreme of the original comics, the comical subcultures of Megacity One against the complex morality of the Judges. But it was certainly a loyal representation of Dredd on show.

There's a neat feature on the DVD that went over the origins and inspirations for the character.

A good amount of the humor was mocking both excesses of loud almost alien elements of american culture seen through the lens of british humor such as the obsessive american gun culture and also satirizing right wing fascist elements in the UK such as Thatcher.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
My DVD arrived today from Amazon and I just watched this for the first time. Holy poo poo that was ridiculously enjoyable. I also preferred it to The Raid, which I watched last night. I loved pretty much everything about the film, and I am interested in reading some Judge Dredd too :D

I know the film was a box-office dud, but is there any chance we'll get a sequel?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Sorry if this has been already been asked, but where is the best place to start with the Judge Dredd comics? This movie piqued my interest in the character and I've never read any of the comics before.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ Case Files 5 is a good place to start, that or CF3.

etalian posted:

A good amount of the humor was mocking both excesses of loud almost alien elements of american culture seen through the lens of british humor such as the obsessive american gun culture and also satirizing right wing fascist elements in the UK such as Thatcher.

It didn't need to satirize Thatcher. Everything in Mega-City One is an American thing cranked up to 11. Many Americans are fat; the Mega-City has people so fat they need support wheels to keep their stomachs off the ground and wear trays of snacks around their necks 24/7. American gun owners like their well regulated militias, so every block has its own Citizens Defence unit to constantly prepare for war - primarily by attacking other blocks that they suspect of planning a preparation exercise against them.

Most of all, though, the comic parodies the American right wing's paradoxical joint love of strong laws and freedom from government interference. In the Mega-City everything is legal right up to the point where it isn't. You can keep a laser cannon on your balcony or a man eating alien in your kitchen so long as you have the appropriate license, and on several occasions enterprising perps have managed to evade prosecution because there wasn't yet a law against what they did. (Of course, so many things are against the law that the Judges get them for something else then close the loophole.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I should have pointed out that yes, there were some actual comics on available on the kindle store. I figured the one with a credited artist would be comics and I was right. Reading through Cursed Earth saga right now, then I'll pick up the other 2.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

nomapple posted:

My DVD arrived today from Amazon and I just watched this for the first time. Holy poo poo that was ridiculously enjoyable. I also preferred it to The Raid, which I watched last night. I loved pretty much everything about the film, and I am interested in reading some Judge Dredd too :D

I know the film was a box-office dud, but is there any chance we'll get a sequel?

Possibly if they make decent money on dvd sales or if whoever is in charge thinks the good word of mouth will become profitable with a sequel and better marketing :shobon:

Keep The Hope Alive

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Dredd page today was saying it was #1 on iTunes and something else that escapes me but it's doing really well it seems.

wretchx
Dec 4, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alex Garland will enjoy Raid comparisons for the rest of his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGkKfs6kheQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

^^^ Case Files 5 is a good place to start, that or CF3.

It didn't need to satirize Thatcher. Everything in Mega-City One is an American thing cranked up to 11. Many Americans are fat; the Mega-City has people so fat they need support wheels to keep their stomachs off the ground and wear trays of snacks around their necks 24/7. American gun owners like their well regulated militias, so every block has its own Citizens Defence unit to constantly prepare for war - primarily by attacking other blocks that they suspect of planning a preparation exercise against them.

Most of all, though, the comic parodies the American right wing's paradoxical joint love of strong laws and freedom from government interference. In the Mega-City everything is legal right up to the point where it isn't. You can keep a laser cannon on your balcony or a man eating alien in your kitchen so long as you have the appropriate license, and on several occasions enterprising perps have managed to evade prosecution because there wasn't yet a law against what they did. (Of course, so many things are against the law that the Judges get them for something else then close the loophole.)

And the satire has aged well since in the US the same problems are still here from obesity problems, militarizing police force and the very loud gun nuts.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The shot of Dredd's silhouette in the smoke after he tosses Caleb off one of the upper floors is amazing in its eeriness.

A vengeful ghost to Ma-Ma.

e: I like how Dredd foregoes a catchy quip after he throws Ma-Ma off the 200th floor and merely goes, "Yeah."

ee: I recommended this film to a friend who responded with, "Really, it's good? I saw the poster and just thought it'd be another lovely superhero movie."

Honestly, I really like this Dredd poster but of all the posters to bear a striking resemblance to, they had to end up with Daredevil?

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 15, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's kinda neat in a way Daredevil and Dredd and the theme of justice.

EDIT: And rooftops! All that's needed is the Tick.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wait, was that big, unfinished CGI looking grey block on the right on all the Daredevil posters?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Wait, was that big, unfinished CGI looking grey block on the right on all the Daredevil posters?

Not unseeing this. Ever.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

It's a mega-block.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TheJoker138 posted:

Evidently not (unfortunately, sorry to burst our collective bubbles guys):

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Just got this on Blu-Ray today. Cant wait to see it later.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fenix down posted:

It's a mega-block.
800 million people living in the ruin of the old New York City. Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos: A blind Ben Affleck.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My copy is defective, I'm sickened. With replacing all these faulty copies they are going to make even less of a profit on this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

etalian posted:

And the satire has aged well since in the US the same problems are still here from obesity problems, militarizing police force and the very loud gun nuts.

The funny thing about the Megacity One is that obesity is a crime. Notice how in this movie, there are no fat people anywhere, well other than the one dude that gets shot in the gut early in the movie.

Another line I got a chuckle out of was the meatgrinder analogy. We're just the ones turning the handle.

• Locked thread