Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Yeah, that's a known bug. Reload to an earlier save and make sure you walk Aryan through the door and up the stairs, whereupon he'll sit down all on his own and you can then proceed to clear the rest of the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

I SAID LISTEN posted:

I had that happen to me. Reloading to a point before you find Aryan fixed it for me.

This fixed it for me. The thing played out completely differently when I re-did it. What a buggy, hard to control game. It's also been reinstalling 2 .net updates, every single time I play. There is seriously a 5+ minute delay between opening the game and having it start to load.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Kire posted:

This fixed it for me. The thing played out completely differently when I re-did it. What a buggy, hard to control game. It's also been reinstalling 2 .net updates, every single time I play. There is seriously a 5+ minute delay between opening the game and having it start to load.

That .net thing is a bug with steam, I believe. Go into the games' folder and delete the .net installers. They are usually in some sort of "redist" folder.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Something was posted on the main site.

With that message at the end of the Cyberpunk 2077 teaser, it's not farfetched to think that it's Witcher 3 related.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jimbot posted:

Something was posted on the main site.

With that message at the end of the Cyberpunk 2077 teaser, it's not farfetched to think that it's Witcher 3 related.
It's probably a sword that's either going to be merchandise or a prize.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Well, that's clearly the pommel of Geralt's sword.

I am now officially excited to see Geralt single-handedly take down the Nilfgaardian Empire.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Leb posted:

Well, that's clearly the pommel of Geralt's sword.

I am now officially excited to see Geralt single-handedly take down the Nilfgaardian Empire.

If they're following the books, the next major arc will probably be tracking down Yennefer, learning what the Wild Hunt is. After that there is such a massive amount of available plot to work with its impossible to know. Maybe the author will even write something new for them to base the game on. He works pretty closely with the CD Projeckt Reed staff if I recall.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm quite excited to see how they tackle Nilfgaard. Both from the story perspective, and aesthetically. I get that they're the antagonist power, but still, the Emperor has enough history with Geralt to lay foundations to a potentially interesting and unpredictable dynamics.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

pentyne posted:

If they're following the books, the next major arc will probably be tracking down Yennefer, learning what the Wild Hunt is. After that there is such a massive amount of available plot to work with its impossible to know. Maybe the author will even write something new for them to base the game on. He works pretty closely with the CD Projeckt Reed staff if I recall.

Hm? Witcher books have been released since 2007? I thought that they just ended with Geralt dying.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cheston posted:

Hm? Witcher books have been released since 2007? I thought that they just ended with Geralt dying.

I meant the games following the book plots. The first 2 games are a minor fraction of the available stories.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

pentyne posted:

I meant the games following the book plots. The first 2 games are a minor fraction of the available stories.

I thought the games take place after the books. Also, I thought Sapkowski actually talked negatively about the games. If he worked closely with them why would he do that?

Overdoze
Jan 6, 2008

Revolution of evolution
He hasn't said anything negative as far as I know, just that he doesn't play games and considers the Witcher games to be adaptations of his work. And that he liked the graphics and art.

"Maybe it's time to set the matters straight," he went on. "'The Witcher' is a well made video game, its success is well deserved and the creators deserve all the splendour and honour due. But in no way can it be considered to be an 'alternative version', nor a 'sequel' to the witcher Geralt stories. Because this can only be told by Geralt's creator. A certain Andrzej Sapkowski."

From a pretty interesting interview here

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've just started Act 1 of the 360 version and have done a few of the early quests, got told to read this thread when I asked a few questions in the 360 thread. For the spoilered part have I hosed up if I've gone to meet Loredo at night already without talking to Luis? The spoiler seems to indicate that but that would seem odd. Is it a big thing or relatively minor?

Coughing Hobo posted:

3) A suggestion for quest order early in Act 1. (Minor spoilers)Receive the Mystic River quest by investigating the crashed boat near the kayran investigation site and visit Luis Merse so you can convince him to give you the key to the Royal Post box before visiting Loredo at night. Mystic River also spans multiple acts. In Act 1, when you're told to keep an eye out for more wrecked ships up-river, you've done all you can for that quest in Flotsam.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It's minor, don't sweat it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Coughing Hobo posted:

It's minor, don't sweat it.
I have no idea why you made that advice. I'm pretty sure that the two quests don't have any specific connections, and visiting Loredo should be the first thing you, to get a set of good armor and a nice silver sword design.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

pentyne posted:

The games take place after the books. They even mention Geralt dying about a billion times in both of them. That's why he doesn't have his memories, etc.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Xander77 posted:

I have no idea why you made that advice. I'm pretty sure that the two quests don't have any specific connections, and visiting Loredo should be the first thing you, to get a set of good armor and a nice silver sword design.

The connection is If you have the key there's a letter you can read in Loredo's personal post box.. It's not necessary, but it's a cool detail I missed the first time through but caught the second time because of that advice.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Sharmat posted:

The connection is If you have the key there's a letter you can read in Loredo's personal post box.. It's not necessary, but it's a cool detail I missed the first time through but caught the second time because of that advice.
There's one in Louis Merse's box too. Are they not identical?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They're not. The one at Loredo's place contains some foreshadowing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

Nilfgaard comes off like a Roman Empire-esque imperial power. While they have a strong infrastructure and advanced technology, countries they occupy are vassals, and will never be allowed to join the ranks of Nilfgaard citizens until the empire starts to crumble. It's permanent 2nd class citizen status for a formerly independent nation. No matter what improvements or luxuries are added, no sovereign kingdom ever wants that.

But also this is a completely wrong analogy? The Roman Empire extended citizenship to all male inhabitants of its territory in 212 CE. From the late 2nd century onward many emperors were not ethnically Italian. The center of gravity in the Empire was always weighted towards the eastern Mediterranean in population, and the political center of gravity gradually shifted east until when the Western half fell the East kept right on going without it. Without Rome itself. The simplistic idea of an empire as a conveyer belt moving wealth into the center doesn't work all that well when it runs up against real history. Infrastructure and technology aren't something you just handwave away, they were tremendously costly and had concomitantly huge benefits for the subject populations. Trade exploded during the Pax Romana period and led to a hundred years of prosperity all over the empire until the plague showed up from the East and ended the party.

What a sovereign kingdom wants is pretty shaky ground for establishing what's good for its inhabitants, considering kingdoms are typically operated with the interests of a very few elites in mind. Nilfgaard actually sounds a lot more progressive than the North or Rome in terms of nice things for average people.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Considering the city of Rome was founded sometime in 8th century BC and that it ceased to be a republic over 200 years before the whole extended citizenship thing, it's kind of hard to make that analogy without specifying what version of Rome is being discussed.

That said, the only problem I can see with Nilfgaard that the northern kingdoms didn't have before the game is the really tight regulation of sorcery and apparently witchers. Which is arguably not a bad thing, I suppose; but a lot of Geralt's ex-girlfriends are sorceresses. I don't know a whole lot about what Nilfgaard is like in later books though, and generally got the impression that Geralt was apolitical anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

Considering the city of Rome was founded sometime in 8th century BC and that it ceased to be a republic over 200 years before the whole extended citizenship thing, it's kind of hard to make that analogy without specifying what version of Rome is being discussed.

That said, the only problem I can see with Nilfgaard that the northern kingdoms didn't have before the game is the really tight regulation of sorcery and apparently witchers. Which is arguably not a bad thing, I suppose; but a lot of Geralt's ex-girlfriends are sorceresses. I don't know a whole lot about what Nilfgaard is like in later books though, and generally got the impression that Geralt was apolitical anyway.

Let's just say there's a lot of canon reasons why Geralt and the Emperor would get political on each other's rear end. And the Emperor has some strong for prosecuting sorcerers.

In short, *MASSIVE SPOILERS* the Emperor is Duny, the hedgehog-man from the short stories, he's the legitimate father of Ciri, Geralt's witcher prodigy, and his attempts to find her have been a major driving force behind his invasions of the North. In the novels, hijinks ensued in which Geralt and Duny crossed paths - directly and indirectly - more than a few times. Also, he was cursed to be a were-hedgehog by a Nilfgaardian sorcerer in a plot to extort his father and make sure the var Emreis dynasty couldn't threaten the newly ascended pretender.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Kire posted:

The thing played out completely differently when I re-did it. What a buggy, hard to control game.

I'm playing through W2 my first time, and my God, I don't care what CONTENT these people put in the W3 game, just FIX ALL THE BUGS.

Even after uninstalling the Steam version and installing it from GOG, I still have to manually deal with the saves so it doesn't take 1000 years to load, there's still numerous bugs, there's terrible boss design, lots of crap that is way too close together for a game with no cursor to tell you what you're pointing at... I could go on and on. Oh yeah, and an inventory system where you get attacked by 10 enemies at once, and have to manually click on each body to pick up their crap, when you have to do this because you need crap for potions which are essential to survival. I feel like Geralt divides his time 1/3 loving, 1/3 fighting, 1/3 stopping and taking a couple of steps backwards and picking an herb because he saw something out of the corner of his eye.

If it weren't for all the times the game puts you in a "do X QUICK OR DIE" situation and lands you in with terrible controls, then the save/load BS wouldn't be nearly so bad. As it is, the game can be extremely annoying and stupid at times.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup Act 1 sucks. I feel your pain. The game gets a lot more tolerable after that though. (Sucks in terms of gameplay at least.)

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

Arcaeris posted:

I'm playing through W2 my first time, and my God, I don't care what CONTENT these people put in the W3 game, just FIX ALL THE BUGS.

Even after uninstalling the Steam version and installing it from GOG, I still have to manually deal with the saves so it doesn't take 1000 years to load, there's still numerous bugs, there's terrible boss design, lots of crap that is way too close together for a game with no cursor to tell you what you're pointing at... I could go on and on. Oh yeah, and an inventory system where you get attacked by 10 enemies at once, and have to manually click on each body to pick up their crap, when you have to do this because you need crap for potions which are essential to survival. I feel like Geralt divides his time 1/3 loving, 1/3 fighting, 1/3 stopping and taking a couple of steps backwards and picking an herb because he saw something out of the corner of his eye.

If it weren't for all the times the game puts you in a "do X QUICK OR DIE" situation and lands you in with terrible controls, then the save/load BS wouldn't be nearly so bad. As it is, the game can be extremely annoying and stupid at times.

I laughed so much after I got out of the prison of the La Valettes, tried to save, was told "You Cannot Save Here", tried to go meet the sorceress at the ship (after painstakingly looting every bag, barrel and box out there, killing all the guards, exploring everything, STILL UNABLE TO SAVE) and then the game completely crashed to desktop when I finally tried to board the ship. "Ha, oh well," I thought. "I'll just play some DOTA2 instead." Little did I know, the crazy memory leaks were still causing problems and halfway through DOTA2 a little red message that I've never seen before tells me "OS paged pool memory is running out!" I had to restart my computer, since The Witcher 2 not only choked on its own dick and died but took my whole computer down with it even after it crashed. And this was in a scene where the game tells you, for no real reason that I can see, "You Cannot Save Here".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I thought the boss design was good, and I haven't encountered any of these bugs. The save game build up UI for looting is obnoxious though.

steinrokkan posted:

In short, *MASSIVE SPOILERS* the Emperor is Duny, the hedgehog-man from the short stories, he's the legitimate father of Ciri, Geralt's witcher prodigy, and his attempts to find her have been a major driving force behind his invasions of the North. In the novels, hijinks ensued in which Geralt and Duny crossed paths - directly and indirectly - more than a few times. Also, he was cursed to be a were-hedgehog by a Nilfgaardian sorcerer in a plot to extort his father and make sure the var Emreis dynasty couldn't threaten the newly ascended pretender.

I'm still not clear on how much of this Geralt remembers by the end of the game.

EDIT: The game only restricts your saving if there's enemies nearby.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kire posted:

The Witcher 2 not only choked on its own dick and died but took my whole computer down with it even after it crashed. And this was in a scene where the game tells you, for no real reason that I can see, "You Cannot Save Here".

I did encounter this exact bug, but that was literally the only instance the game crashed or behaved oddly. I also liked the UI and had no obvious issues saving the game etc., but that's just my experience, obviously.

The Sharmat posted:

I'm still not clear on how much of this Geralt remembers by the end of the game.

Well, he did make an isolated reference to Ciri - and it's more than likely that if he ventures to Nilfgaard, he'll be swiftly reminded of his past adventures there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

I was picturing the glory days of Rome, mostly the BC era to about 100 ad. The Romans didn't start extending citizenship until their armies were ravaged by the constant civil wars.

The whole thing with Nilfgaard and sorcery is pretty interesting, and fairly unique for fantasy settings. Nilfgaard has a point that sorcery creates an intense power imbalance concentrated in the hands of of those with "the gift", rather then merit based. For a pre-industrial society it really damages the potential for technological development.

Plus all attempts to form official guilds of magic led to attempts to overthrow kings and rule from the shadows.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

I've been playing Witcher 1 since I never had the opportunity before, but it's really overwhelming when compared to Witcher 2. I'm doing the detective mission in Vizima, or trying to at least, and I'm already entirely lost on what the hell I've discovered and what the heck is going on.

As of so far Witcher 2 was a much smoother experience, though that's not to say Witcher 1 is anything less than great... just harder to digest.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't even like Witcher 1 but I loved Witcher II. Very different games

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The detective quest is probably the most problematic part of Witcher 1. Get through it and the rest is much better. Though it never rises close to Witcher 2's level, of course.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lycus posted:

The detective quest is probably the most problematic part of Witcher 1. Get through it and the rest is much better. Though it never rises close to Witcher 2's level, of course.

There were maybe 1 or 2 good sidequests in each chapter. Everything else was either quests to get another sex card or turn in X number of collectibles.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Satanos posted:

I've been playing Witcher 1 since I never had the opportunity before, but it's really overwhelming when compared to Witcher 2. I'm doing the detective mission in Vizima, or trying to at least, and I'm already entirely lost on what the hell I've discovered and what the heck is going on.

As of so far Witcher 2 was a much smoother experience, though that's not to say Witcher 1 is anything less than great... just harder to digest.

My favourite bit about that detective quest is that if you just ran around and accused everyone they'd tell you to go gently caress yourself and you'd lock yourself out of further conversations with a couple of them and even possibly a whole sidequest if I'm remembering correctly.

(I did this as I'm not used to RPGs actually caring what I say and will systematically hit every option to hear the lines)

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

pentyne posted:

There were maybe 1 or 2 good sidequests in each chapter. Everything else was either quests to get another sex card or turn in X number of collectibles.
Thats not true at all in acts 3 4 and 5. Really Id say thats only true for act 1 but Im not entirely sure about act 2 since its such a behemoth of a chapter thats its hard for me to remember what all goes on there.

Besides most (not all but most) of the collectible/kill X# quests were notice board quests so you knew what you were getting into. Frankly I never found them that bad as a good deal of them are ust going to be completed naturally as you go through the chapter.

VodeAndreas posted:

My favourite bit about that detective quest is that if you just ran around and accused everyone they'd tell you to go gently caress yourself and you'd lock yourself out of further conversations with a couple of them and even possibly a whole sidequest if I'm remembering correctly.

(I did this as I'm not used to RPGs actually caring what I say and will systematically hit every option to hear the lines)

I really enoyed it when on a second playthrough I found out its possible for Geralt to figure the whole thing out without doing the autopsy or finding Raymonds body

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 20, 2013

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

steinrokkan posted:

I did encounter this exact bug, but that was literally the only instance the game crashed or behaved oddly. I also liked the UI and had no obvious issues saving the game etc., but that's just my experience, obviously.

Well, he did make an isolated reference to Ciri - and it's more than likely that if he ventures to Nilfgaard, he'll be swiftly reminded of his past adventures there.

I seem to remember him telling Triss he remembers everything if you rescue her. But's it's been a while since I've played so I could be mistaken.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I took that to mean that he remembered everything that happened After he "died" but I'm not sure. As for the reference to Ciri earlier in the game, after they escape Castle La Valette Geralt specifically asks Triss to tell him everything she knows about Yennefer and Ciri during the trip to Flotsam.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I am finally playing this game for the 3rd time, but 1st time after all the enhanced patches have come out. Have the difficulties been tweaked this time since release? I remember normal being a real bitch, but this time it's cake. I get that this game gets easier as you play it, but it's been well over a year since i've played, the controls are rusty, and i'm still killing this poo poo. Maybe playing Dark Souls has helped, I dunno.

Also, have the contract quests been altered? I know you can get 3/3 of the info needed to complete the Nekker and Endrega quests just by killing lots of them, but it seems that the number to do that has been lowered significantly. I remember the last time I played I had to buy the books because killing that many of the fuckers was a chore. Now I did it by accident trying to complete other quests in the forest.

Still though...I think Witcher 2 is my favorite game of all time. It does EVERYTHING right as far i'm concerned.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
So I started the game on Dark for my first playthrough and its pretty difficult, got hung up a couple times during the prologue when I was outnumbered. Once you get the style of combat Dark requires (hit and run, roll constantly) it makes combat really really satisfying. Is the difficulty going to ramp up significantly in subsequent acts or is the prologue basically a cakewalk compared to the rest? I chose Dark because its a real letdown in RPG's when towards the endgame you are just a ridiculous demi-god with nothing worry about (Skyrim) so I'm trying to mitigate that. Will Hard give me that experience if Dark is too much for a first playthrough?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
There are only really three parts of the game that people find difficult. The prologue, as you have few powers and are likely still learning the combat system, plus there's a lot of archers and shieldbearers. Act 1's boss fight and Act 2's series of encounters at the end of the act (spoiler: narrative location of fight on both counts).

Get parry+repost before the second one as you lose all your other Witcher talents (spoiler: narrative effect on gameplay).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So, I have a theory that I posted on the original GOG.com Witcher 2 board back in 2011 that i'm going to re-post here. That comet in the sky in Act II and III? I totally think that is the Wild Hunt. The comet was even made bolder and bigger with the EE patch, and the Wild Hunt is sometimes described as a cavalcade of riders across the sky like a comet. Discuss.

• Locked thread