Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Taear posted:

It was a lot of fun to watch Knightmare again.
I guess you couldn't really replicate it nowadays because more people have actual real computer games to play and it's a lot like a badly plotted Dungeons and Dragons game, but it might still be fun!
I have a dream to do a late night live version with a team of pissed up comedians at the Edinburgh Fringe. I'm pretty sure that as long as everyone's willing to play along you can get away with a few props and a projector, with the stage cut in half between the "action" and the guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Regarding the Tarantino interview I think Murphy came across as a real confrontational dick. He's clearly opposed to the violence on screen, using words like twisted to describe the violence, asking why supposedly normal people would be attracted to violence on film, and why Tarantino is attracted to making violent films; does he enjoy it?

It's a lovely interview, and good on Tarantino for pointing out that he was basically leading him into a sound bite quote, especially when he has hundreds of articles and professionally written articles about the subject.

"He has a responsibility to his fans" to explain why he makes violent films?

Then, Murphy offers a lovely olive branch by saying he enjoys Tarantino's films (which is the first time in the interview that he doesn't address viewers of the films as a distant group) he becomes entirely confrontational and implies that Tarantino is getting worse with age.

gently caress that.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 12, 2013

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

PriorMarcus posted:

and implies that Tarantino is getting worse with age.

one thing everyone can agree on

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I thought Inglorious might be his best work.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ditto. I don't think the majority of people agree with that statement.

Django is amazing, and oscar nominated.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah Django is excellent. I don't think I like it as much as Inglorious Basterds, but he is definitely not getting worse.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

BizarroAzrael posted:

It's shite.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Am I really the only one thinking that, considering the current public discourse, a journalist NOT asking Tarantino about violence in movies is simply not doing his job?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

DominoDancing posted:

Am I really the only one thinking that, considering the current public discourse, a journalist NOT asking Tarantino about violence in movies is simply not doing his job?

I feel like the same questions get asked every time there's a shooting tragedy and there's no point in rehashing old ground- what do you expect Tarantino to say? "Yeah I'm sorry, violence is wrong, don't watch my movie"? We don't give a poo poo about this issue when kids aren't getting murdered it's just journalists trying to retroactively journo. No one blames Dark Knight Rises for that guy who shot up the cinema unless they're an idiot. And like Tarantino said, it was a junket to promote his new movie, not an interview with a critic, the journalist in question wanted either a nice sounding soundbite or a controversial one, they didn't really want an answer.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If anything, the news media, particularly on television, have more responsibility for mass killings than violence in films.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

If anything, the news media, particularly on television, have more responsibility for mass killings than violence in films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Mickolution posted:

It's shite.

Well, that's that settled then, pack it up Quentin. You've been shut down in two succinct words.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

PriorMarcus posted:

It's a lovely interview, and good on Tarantino for pointing out that he was basically leading him into a sound bite quote, especially when he has hundreds of articles and professionally written articles about the subject.
If this is true, would it have been that difficult for him to give a proper response to what was a pretty reasonable question? If he has written so much about it, I don't see why he couldn't just suggest a few of the overarching themes in his writing instead of being a knobhead about it

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

meme posted:

I feel like the same questions get asked every time there's a shooting tragedy and there's no point in rehashing old ground- what do you expect Tarantino to say? "Yeah I'm sorry, violence is wrong, don't watch my movie"? We don't give a poo poo about this issue when kids aren't getting murdered it's just journalists trying to retroactively journo. No one blames Dark Knight Rises for that guy who shot up the cinema unless they're an idiot. And like Tarantino said, it was a junket to promote his new movie, not an interview with a critic, the journalist in question wanted either a nice sounding soundbite or a controversial one, they didn't really want an answer.

See, I have no problem with Tarantino not wanting to go into that whole topic for the hundredth time. I'm just not sure that making GBS threads on the interviewer for bringing it up is really justified, or where the perception that he "didn't really want an answer" comes from.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Regarding the Tarantino interview I think Murphy came across as a real confrontational dick. He's clearly opposed to the violence on screen, using words like twisted to describe the violence, asking why supposedly normal people would be attracted to violence on film, and why Tarantino is attracted to making violent films; does he enjoy it?

"He has a responsibility to his fans" to explain why he makes violent films?

Then, Murphy offers a lovely olive branch by saying he enjoys Tarantino's films (which is the first time in the interview that he doesn't address viewers of the films as a distant group) he becomes entirely confrontational and implies that Tarantino is getting worse with age.

gently caress that.

This post really confused me with Murphy, I thought you were talking about a different interview instead of the Guru-Murthy one.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

Ditto. I don't think the majority of people agree with that statement.

Django is amazing, and oscar nominated.
The third act is boring as all hell. And Jackie Brown is still his best film.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Interestingly, the one thing that that appearance unquestionably has done is ensure that we're still talking about him and his films. Job's a good 'un.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hey with Lovefilm do they start getting shirty if you report a lot of discs aren't working? Just asking because about half the discs I've gotten in the past month have been scratched up and stopped working at some point (usually just when the film/episode is reaching it's dramatic high point) and while they've been good about sending another plus something else from my list I'm worried they'll cut me off at some point even though they're all genuinely not working.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Paperhouse posted:

If this is true, would it have been that difficult for him to give a proper response to what was a pretty reasonable question? If he has written so much about it, I don't see why he couldn't just suggest a few of the overarching themes in his writing instead of being a knobhead about it

Because the question was asked in the worst, most passive aggressive way possible. Tarantino is a cinephile, so why not ask him way people have always blamed violent movies on real life events. He could probably cite hundreds of examples and he answers the question without it getting confrontational. Murphy just uses these shock words like 'twisted' and seems to be passing comment on the film. Given that he mentions the 'portrayal of rape' in the film I'd be surprised if he'd actually seen it (Rape is implied to have happened at some point, but it doesn't actually happen in film). It starts to feel like Murphy is reaching. Add it to the fact that Tarantino has been asked the same questions since Reservoir Dogs and was probably asked the same question a hundred times that day and it's not much of a surprise.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

thebardyspoon posted:

Hey with Lovefilm do they start getting shirty if you report a lot of discs aren't working? Just asking because about half the discs I've gotten in the past month have been scratched up and stopped working at some point (usually just when the film/episode is reaching it's dramatic high point) and while they've been good about sending another plus something else from my list I'm worried they'll cut me off at some point even though they're all genuinely not working.

They've never challenged me about it once. In fact I sent them an e-mail complaining that so many of the discs I was getting were broken and they gave me a month free.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Good news for my girlfriend and the one poster who said they liked it, Hebburn's got a second series.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

onoflalks posted:

Good news for my girlfriend and the one poster who said they liked it, Hebburn's got a second series.

It was brilliant and this makes me happy.

In other news:

http://www.imediamonkey.com/2013/01/13/itv-unveil-new-pugwash-channel-ident-watch/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPxMkX9JWjA

Christ on a bike.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pretty glad STV is still a thing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

VogeGandire posted:

Pretty glad STV is still a thing.

I really do wonder how long STV and UTV can hold out. I was really sad when Channel got bought out by the network :( They'd been hanging on for so long, in the face of so much passive aggressiveness from ITV plc (what's that? You want a clean feed like UTV and STV? No, you can have Meridian's feed and you'll have to try and not crash their promos when you opt out. Deal with it.)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Did anyone else watch Blandings last night. Good teatime comedy I thought, well acted by people who clearly enjoy acting drunk.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did anyone else watch Blandings last night. Good teatime comedy I thought, well acted by people who clearly enjoy acting drunk.

I thought they'd rather over-egged it all. The soundtrack is a collection of slide-whistles, twanging springs and Harpo horns, and it seems a waste to hire good actors for gurning like they're in a panto.
Over all the direction reminded me strongly of a tv show I watched as a child which was based around a comic strip. People wearing yellow and black polka-dots forcing children to run obstacle courses and disembodied hands performing magic tricks, that sort of thing.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

BizarroAzrael posted:

No, but I'll be eternally grateful if I never have to see the advert again.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Over all the direction reminded me strongly of a tv show I watched as a child which was based around a comic strip. People wearing yellow and black polka-dots forcing children to run obstacle courses and disembodied hands performing magic tricks, that sort of thing.

Zzzap!. Awesome show. Designed for deaf kids, apparently.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Rebranding day! Wheeeeeee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuBEO9Mt3A

They're not entirely bad, and at least the news studio isn't the ghastly bumblebee pattern yellow and black any more. I particularly like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdt6OuTVvU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

BizarroAzrael posted:

I watched it and thought it was funny, I love all that archaic language in anything really ("You're a silly little nonsense aren't you?"). Though the overall atmosphere was a mix of a shooting stars sketch and a children's tv show, I don't this particularly detracted from it being fun.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Rebranding day! Wheeeeeee!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuBEO9Mt3A

They're not entirely bad, and at least the news studio isn't the ghastly bumblebee pattern yellow and black any more. I particularly like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdt6OuTVvU

Holy poo poo, I actually like these more than I thought I would.

Have ITV managed to do something that wasn't a complete disaster?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's links are better than mine, he has the full set.

The CITV one is amazing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, the CITV guys, ran with it and came up with some good idents.

And I'm not saying that just 'cause they're running Inazuma Eleven again.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I like the pug-inna-bath one. He looks befuddled yet accepting of his fate, kind of like the way I look when I'm at my parents and they make me watch Coronation Street and Eastenders. You know it's bad but you're thankful it's not Celebrity Dancing on Ice.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
ITV has another winner that I haven't seen before, the ULTIMATE in games shows TIPPING POINT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgErnwpnzes

Remember those travelling fair games with the 10p coins, that you'd try to tilt/shove the machine so they'd fall off only they never would because they were clearly rigged? it's that! on TV!

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Giedroyc posted:

ITV has another winner that I haven't seen before, the ULTIMATE in games shows TIPPING POINT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgErnwpnzes

Remember those travelling fair games with the 10p coins, that you'd try to tilt/shove the machine so they'd fall off only they never would because they were clearly rigged? it's that! on TV!

This has been on for a while. I'm sure that this was just a joke sent to a commissioner because he was being being a right prick to the ideas dept., so they made up a gameshow based on the 2p and 10p slots, and they liked it.

It's a terrible gameshow.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 14, 2013

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

It's like a round on The Price is Right stretched out for an hour. Even the contestants can't seen to get over how poo poo it is.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

onoflalks posted:

It's a terrible gameshow.

It really is. Ben Shephard seems like he doesn't even want to be there and I couldn't sit through five minutes, even when there was 'nothing else' on.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Zzzap!. Awesome show. Designed for deaf kids, apparently.

Oh man, thanks for reminding me of this, I loved that show. Also I'm mostly deaf and didn't know about subtitles yet so it was one of the only shows I didn't have to struggle to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Chuck Bartowski posted:

It really is. Ben Shephard seems like he doesn't even want to be there and I couldn't sit through five minutes, even when there was 'nothing else' on.

well seeing as he was lured away from GMTV to Sky with the promises of presenting actual football matches, and getting stuck with just Goals On Sunday and the occasional Carling Cup match may have rubbed him the wrong way.