Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Cemetry Gator posted:

Are you sure it isn't a problem with the router or the internet service? Before we go and blame the WiiU we'll need more information.

Well I am using my laptop to write this post and surf for solutions. Checked my phone and it's connected fine. Desktop is fine. Tablet is fine.

The router is a Cisco VEN401-AT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Did you try turning it off and on again?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

greatn posted:

Did you try turning it off and on again?

I've reset the WiiU, router, cable box (AT&T), entered the MAC address into the router, deleted all previous connection settings, entered everything manually, cycled through different wireless channels. Nothing has worked.

I don't understand, it was fine a few days ago. I haven't used it since then until I wanted to mess around with the TVii and that's when I noticed it wasn't connecting to the Internet except just the router.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What about your domain name service? Maybe the Wii's default or local is down and you could change it to google? (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)

If you know what a mac address is, that places you above 95% of people on understanding network settings, so I assume you probably already are using a custom dns though.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

greatn posted:

What about your domain name service? Maybe the Wii's default or local is down and you could change it to google? (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4)

If you know what a mac address is, that places you above 95% of people on understanding network settings, so I assume you probably already are using a custom dns though.

I tried Google's and even that didn't work.

I just attempted to use a PIN-code configuration and that also didn't work. I cannot understand why/how this is happening. I'll just try again in a few hours.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
The only way I can connect to the Internet is to leave security open. Obviously I don't want to do that but what could that be a symptom of? Yes, I was typing in the password just fine. I even made a new wireless password in case my old one was too long.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is it possible a certain character in your password is problematic? The wii is using a bad or errant ascii code for something on its keyboard?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SyRauk posted:

Well I am using my laptop to write this post and surf for solutions. Checked my phone and it's connected fine. Desktop is fine. Tablet is fine.

The router is a Cisco VEN401-AT.

it might be the router... while I don't have that model router, I also have a Cisco router. It gives me problems with two devices, my iPhone and Wii U. The iPhone will randomly decide to not connect to the Wifi network when reconnecting to the network sometimes after I leave the house. Not all the time, just sometimes. The Wii U will also randomly decide it doesn't want to connect to the Wifi network too. All other devices in my house (Consoles, iPads, computers, laptops, etc.) connect just fine. The solution that always works is just restarting the router.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

SyRauk posted:

The only way I can connect to the Internet is to leave security open. Obviously I don't want to do that but what could that be a symptom of? Yes, I was typing in the password just fine. I even made a new wireless password in case my old one was too long.

Is your SSID "wireless" ?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

socialsecurity posted:

Check out the PS3 launch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games
came out November 06 with less games most of the games it did have were crappy PS2 ports, then 3 games in December, 1 in January, 2 in Feburary. A bunch of people consider the first true AAA release to be on March 20th when Oblivion and Armored Core came out.
Wii U launched with nearly 3 times as many games, then 8 in December, only 1 for January, then 2-3 for Feb and 4-5 for March maybe you never know in this industry.

Sorry to sperg a bit but this gets brought up all the time and I wanted people to just see the actual facts so people stop thinking that this release is somehow slower or worse because Nintendo.

Well, there also is the fact you have to take into account all the Wii U did from a Hardware perspective did was catch up to systems released 6 years ago. The Playstation 3 also was dealing with a new CPU format along with some pretty advanced console hardware at the time. It is easier to see why game development delays were happening. (The newer tech also goes for the XBox 360)

With that said, my Wii U is already a door stop :( I have used it a total of 8 times since I bought it. The kids do not even play Super Mario on it. Zombie U is fun but with deeper more immersive games out there, I cannot stay attached to it for very long. Here is hoping they come out with a good metroid game and a good zelda game. Maybe something to revitalize Castlevania, Kid Icarus, etc. Obviously with more games I would have played it more. But I find it insulting that I would be charged full price for games that were released 6 months to over a year ago, games of which I could purchase on Steam for pennies on the dollar over their sales or even for very cheap on the 360 or PS3. I could maybe see it had their been some advantages - but from what I have heard (and seen) the ports themselves ran into slowdowns graphically, some frame rate hitches, and over all, most definitely not worth $60.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 14, 2013

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Legdiian posted:

Is your SSID "wireless" ?

Wow. On a hunch I decided to change my SSID to something with no spaces and it went through. What the ever living gently caress? I wouldn't have thought the SSID would make the Wii U go batshit crazy. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

SyRauk posted:

Wow. On a hunch I decided to change my SSID to something with no spaces and it went through. What the ever living gently caress? I wouldn't have thought the SSID would make the Wii U go batshit crazy. Thanks to everyone for your help.

I'm definitely going to try and remember this. I have a feeling that you are not the only person with this issue and someone will eventually ask me personally about it. What a dumb issue.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Xavier434 posted:

I'm definitely going to try and remember this. I have a feeling that you are not the only person with this issue and someone will eventually ask me personally about it. What a dumb issue.

I just can't figure out what could have possibly changed in the system since the last time I used it with the SSID with multiple spaces. :psyduck: But at least we know this might be what has been causing a lot of problems for some people.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

That's true. I wonder if changing the SSID fixed it, but the fact that it no longer contains spaces has nothing to do with it. What else happens/changes/resets when one alters their SSID?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chronojam posted:

You and me both, counting down the days.

Same here. With marks. In my skin.

Honestly, my Wii U is collecting dust right now even though I have yet to beat ZombiU/NSMBU and only put about 4 hours into Nintendoland. It'll all change soon enough.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Yea i'm not overly worried about retail releases because I know i've got Monster Hunter to look forward to, I might also pick up Rayman and Lego City sounds pretty interesting. As I complained before, i'm not very happy with the digital releases now. I mean VC or an indie game anything at this point would be nice. This $10 dollars in rewards money is burning a hole in my pocket.

It's given me time to catch up on my Wii backlog though, played FF Chocobos Dungeon, Pikmin 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I tried Opoona and Metroid Other M but after about 15 minutes I quit both of them. Fortunately they were only like $5 dollars at gamestop.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
What is collecting dust to you folks? Not playing every day? I only have one game right now so I only play once or twice a week but that's fine, I'm not going to Sonic every day.

If you are a hardcore gamer, you shouldn't be expecting 100 hours out of a brand new console. Go buy Last Story or Xenoblade to fill the gap.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Well my victory was short lived. I can establish a connection to the Internet now but I cannot load the eshop, use the browser, or use the TVii.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I guess I'll talk about it here since Wii U is the platform I played it on, but I really like the way Arkham City handles all the post-game stuff. After the credits roll you just get back to wandering the city and you're free to resume the side missions and Riddler trophies and all that. If you eavesdrop on NPCs you'll even hear them reference the events of the ending, which is pretty funny.

If I'm recalling correctly, the first game had a "point of no return," so this was a welcome change.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SyRauk posted:

Well my victory was short lived. I can establish a connection to the Internet now but I cannot load the eshop, use the browser, or use the TVii.

Well, you could try a USB-LAN adaptor to get a wired connection.

Or call Nintendo and tell them that their poo poo's all hosed up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

What is collecting dust to you folks? Not playing every day? I only have one game right now so I only play once or twice a week but that's fine, I'm not going to Sonic every day.

If you are a hardcore gamer, you shouldn't be expecting 100 hours out of a brand new console. Go buy Last Story or Xenoblade to fill the gap.

People buy new thing, expect it to change their life. Are surprised when it doesn't.

It'll happen this Christmas when Sony and Microsoft's new offerings come out, as well.

edit: In all seriousness - to some people, only games with $80 million budgets and up "count". And you're not going to see those games on a system with numbers like this, except for things that protect their price very carefully.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

This bears repeating. I just wiled away a weekend playing Xenoblade. So enjoyable.

I also picked up one of those Wii U pro controllers that looks like a SNES controller. (One of these puppies). It's very comfortable and all, but it says on the box that it works with the Wii as well, but it's totally unresponsive when I go into Wii mode. It's possible that it would work on the Wii console, haven't checked, but it's a bit disappointing. The old Classic Controller still works but it's not very comfortable. Oh well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Silver Falcon posted:

This bears repeating. I just wiled away a weekend playing Xenoblade. So enjoyable.

I also picked up one of those Wii U pro controllers that looks like a SNES controller. (One of these puppies). It's very comfortable and all, but it says on the box that it works with the Wii as well, but it's totally unresponsive when I go into Wii mode. It's possible that it would work on the Wii console, haven't checked, but it's a bit disappointing. The old Classic Controller still works but it's not very comfortable. Oh well.

There's a physical switch on it to put it in Wii mode I think. Also where'd you get it? I heard it was only available in Australia.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I haven't played it since launch week, it literally has a layer of dust on the gamepad.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I only play any console on and off. I play a game almost every day for at least an hour or two per day until I am bored and then the console collects dust until something else comes out for it. I feel that justifies the purchase well enough. However, I do continuously use my PC.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sire Oblivion posted:

I haven't played it since launch week, it literally has a layer of dust on the gamepad.

The concept of leaving a Mario game unbeaten is just :psyduck: to me.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I got the Wii U for Christmas and have already clocked over seventy hours on it, and I still need to beat ZombiU and tie up loose ends on Mario, Nintendoland (Octopus Dance!!!), and Sonic Racing. Combined with my eShop games, I'll crank 100 hours out of the launch titles easy.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I'd say one of my potential timesinks for Wii U will likely be Nintendo Land, given how hard some of the stuff in it can be.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

greatn posted:

There's a physical switch on it to put it in Wii mode I think. Also where'd you get it? I heard it was only available in Australia.

Amazon? The in-laws got me one for Christmas. They were on back-order for awhile, but it looks like they're back now. (Link)

I'll try the switch thing. Sure would be nice to play Xenoblade with a more comfortable controller.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Yeah I got that controller through Amazon as well.

And yes, it has a switch on the back of it that changes the controller type. Note that it doesn't actually get recognized as a Wii U controller. It can be recognized as either a Wii remote, where X and Y are used as the 1 and 2 buttons, or it can be recognized as a Wii Classic Controller (the kind you plug into a Wii remote). The two switches on the back are used to switch if it is Wii remote or Wii Classic controller, and to switch the direction the accellerometer is recognized as side to side or forward/back, to allow for how it is kind of a Wii remote held sideways but not.

It's an interesting controller, and I like it for New Super Mario Bros U. But I'm a little sad that it's only recognized as Wii remote or Wii Classic, and not Wii U Pro controller.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HJE-Cobra posted:

It can be recognized as either a Wii remote, where X and Y are used as the 1 and 2 buttons

That sounds uncomfortable. If they change that mapping then I would consider getting one.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I have enough on my WiiU to tide me over until Monster Hunter U. And then playing that with goons will probably tide me over until the next loving system comes out. All the zeldas, metroids and starfoxes are sweet sweet icing on top for me.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

I have enough on my WiiU to tide me over until Monster Hunter U. And then playing that with goons will probably tide me over until the next loving system comes out. All the zeldas, metroids and starfoxes are sweet sweet icing on top for me.

The best Star Fox game still came out in 1997. :(

I don't get it, they could make an amazing Star Fox game for really cheap. I think they just hate me.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007
Not sure if there are many other Wii U FPS goons out there, but for any out there that exist: the FPS Freeks don't technically fit the Wii U pro controller as they don't snap on, but the size is close enough that a little epoxy on the bottom side of the FPS Freeks will work :feelsgood: I was lucky and found an open-box one at a Best Buy for just $40. I'm only going to use the Pro on FPS's so I didn't mind permanently affixing the Freeks to mine.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

The best Star Fox game still came out in 1997. :(

I don't get it, they could make an amazing Star Fox game for really cheap. I think they just hate me.

Well, the Wii had a really good Starfox game cleverly disguised as Sin & Punishment 2. But the Wii U loving needs a game like that. A good F-zero will probably never come because no one will buy it, but starfox is perfect for the "core" crowd, will sell like hotcakes, and can demonstrate what the system can do.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

SeANMcBAY posted:

That sounds uncomfortable. If they change that mapping then I would consider getting one.

Yeah, I think A and B would have been better used as the 1 and 2 buttons. But given my options of ridiculous SNES-style classic controller or sideways Wiimote for New Super Mario Bros U, I think the crazy SNES controller wins. Though versus the Wii U Gamepad is another matter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why do no companies recognize the superiority of Y B as your primary buttons anymore?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Utnayan posted:

Well, there also is the fact you have to take into account all the Wii U did from a Hardware perspective did was catch up to systems released 6 years ago. The Playstation 3 also was dealing with a new CPU format along with some pretty advanced console hardware at the time. It is easier to see why game development delays were happening. (The newer tech also goes for the XBox 360)
Wii U has a new "CPU format" and GPU, different dev kit, software stack, etc. It might not be super powerful but ultimately it's still new and different from the other machines.

Then there's Nintendo's recent thing about not announcing stuff too far in advance. It feels like Bayonetta 2 and Pokemon X/Y (3DS) are the only things they've announced beyond 1Q...pretty sure they have more than those in the works. Hell if I know what third parties are up to though, could be following Nintendo's lead or just have nothing :iiam:.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm in the same boat, I don't play it constantly but it's the most played thing I have. Hell I have a 360 backlog I haven't touched yet, most I use that thing for is as a media extender for TV, most I played my 3DS was last night after getting Punch-Out with Club Nintendo points.

Well I did find a non game application for Wii U a few days ago. I've been installing TVs at work and doing a bunch of long cable runs but didn't have anything there to test out the component connections with yet, so I figured gently caress it I'll bring the Wii U. Turns out it was kind of awesome for it since all the screen configuration is done on the gamepad. If something wasn't working I knew it wasn't with the console side since I could see on the gamepad that it was working fine. (Course it was all moot since everything worked all the way to 1080p, but at least I have confirmation now)

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, the Wii had a really good Starfox game cleverly disguised as Sin & Punishment 2. But the Wii U loving needs a game like that. A good F-zero will probably never come because no one will buy it, but starfox is perfect for the "core" crowd, will sell like hotcakes, and can demonstrate what the system can do.
I wonder how the whole Star Fox thing would work out these days. Gameplay would be fine, I'm just talking about the concept of space animals at war. Were furries a thing back when the first two games came out?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

japtor posted:

I wonder how the whole Star Fox thing would work out these days. Gameplay would be fine, I'm just talking about the concept of space animals at war. Were furries a thing back when the first two games came out?
Krystal from Star Fox adventures very well may be the single most popular character in the furry community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Of course, it just wasn't as visible because the internet was less developed. Ic you're going to make a game with anthropomorphic animals though, just do it. No matter what your game stars some weirdo is gonna get off to it. If Pixar movie makers or family friendly game developers worried about whether someone is going to get off to their creations they'd never make any games or kids movies at all.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure Rare was just FULL of furries ever since the SNES days.

• Locked thread