Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Kraven Moorhed posted:

On a non-rye note, I decided to get a lower-shelf scotch to have a budget option on deck while exploring something new. I remembered reading that Black Grouse was pretty good, but they only had 1.75L bottles so I went with Famouse Grouse. This could grow on me, but it starts off almost cloyingly sweet. Are there any other scotches in that price range (20-30) that are worth giving a whirl? Here is a list of everything available in-state, though my store won't have everything listed. So far I've enjoyed Glenfiddich the most, Glenlivet was pretty decent, and Johnny Walker Red and Black were kinda poo poo. Dewars was also too sweet for me, if I recall.

Personally I would never recommend Famous Grouse. My Grandad drinks it like water, but I suspect he's in it for the effect on his head rather than the appreciation of good whisky.

From that list and taking into account your price range I'd recommend Chivas Regal as a decent blend. If you want to stump up an extra $10 then go for Glenmorangie 10 year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Kraven Moorhed posted:

On a non-rye note, I decided to get a lower-shelf scotch to have a budget option on deck while exploring something new. I remembered reading that Black Grouse was pretty good, but they only had 1.75L bottles so I went with Famouse Grouse. This could grow on me, but it starts off almost cloyingly sweet. Are there any other scotches in that price range (20-30) that are worth giving a whirl? Here is a list of everything available in-state, though my store won't have everything listed. So far I've enjoyed Glenfiddich the most, Glenlivet was pretty decent, and Johnny Walker Red and Black were kinda poo poo. Dewars was also too sweet for me, if I recall.
I feel that all of the above labels except Dewars pretty much get a bad rap. While Johnnie Walker Red Label is hot and quite boozy, it's meant to be their bottom shelf whisky. I like Black Label enough that it's my standard drink at most dives that only have the usual fare of stuff like Maker's, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Jameson or Bushmill's, Crown Royal, etc.

As for branching out on a budget...Speyburn 10yr. I'm fine with this, others don't like it as much.

Otherwise you've basically listed everything <$30 worth trying, so your next move is to increase your cap by $20. If you do this, then a bunch of options open up.

Sweet/Rich:
Aberlour 12yr $45
Glenrothes Select Reserve $42

Sweet/Light:
Jura 10yr $47
Old Pulteney 12yr $43
Macallan 10yr Fine Oak $50

Heavily peated:
Ardbeg 10yr $50

Medium peated:
Highland Park 12yr $48
Johnnie Walker Green Label $48

My personal favorites from that list are Johnnie Walker Green Label, Ardbeg 10yr and Old Pulteney 12yr in that order.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I find Famous Grouse rather foul-tasting. I'm not a malt snob or anything, I like me some blends, but not Famous Grouse. Same class of whisky as JW Red Label, actually I'd give a slight edge to Red Label here even though that's not great tasting either.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Only time I've seen someone say Black Label is "poo poo". No accounting for taste :) Obviously it's still a blend and not the best thing EVER but I always find it very pleasant and robust

Cellophane S fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 11, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
The courier came by:

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 11, 2013

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

Deleuzionist posted:

The courier came by:

How'd you come by a bottle of Alligator? I have one sitting upstairs in the closet for a rainy someday because I haven't been able to locate any more of it.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Apparently The Whisky Exchange's last or so bottle since the whisky was delisted soon after my order. Abominable price but I paid because I didn't purchase any of it earlier, having misjudged the whisky the first time I tasted it and realized my error only when it was pretty much out of stock everywhere already. Saving mine for the future too.

edit: oh TWE relisted Alligator. Sadly for everyone involved the price remains abominable.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 12, 2013

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I'm drinking Glenfiddich 15 Solera tonight, it's got a very interesting flavor. Somewhat brandy-like aroma.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Picked up some rittenhouse today. Not really that big of a fan. It's got a lot of flavor, and I dig the 100 proof bottling but it seems to have a sweeter backbone than the Templeton and Bulleit (rye) I'm comparing it to. So far, my fav has been the Bulleit. Any recommendations on a big, dry, spicy/peppery rye to try next? They have a bottle of Willett single barrel at local liquor store and I've liked their bourbons. Is that worth trying? Trying to hunt down a bottle of one of the Old Potrero offerings.

Try some Whistle pig or Wild Turkey 101 Rye(if you can find it. Stay away from the WT 81 proof Rye it is horrible compared to it.

My personal favorite is the Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond you don't care for. Odd thing is i didn't like my first two tastings, went back about 2 months later and I loveed it. Now every bottle I buy i make a couple of Manhattan's with it, then let it sit for a few weeks and it's perfect. It is probably all in my head, but I'll keep my superstitious ways with rittenhouse until it no longer works.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Deleuzionist posted:

The courier came by:

Let us know what the Laphroiag 18 is like, I can imagine it being absolutely lovely. Never heard of Alligator, but being from Ardbeg I can't imagine it being anything short of gorgeous.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jakabite posted:

Let us know what the Laphroiag 18 is like, I can imagine it being absolutely lovely. Never heard of Alligator, but being from Ardbeg I can't imagine it being anything short of gorgeous.

I went to a complimentary tasting for Friends of Laphroaig at the Seven Grand in LA and got to taste the entire line (10, 10 CS, QC, TW, 18, 25) and they also poured two Glenfarclases (18 and 25) to compare age statements to. My favorite for the night was most certainly the Laphroig 18. It's been 3 years now since I've had it, but I remember it being very balanced, with those medicinal briny laphroaig notes tempered with wood sweetness and it being quite velvety feeling in the mouth. Great stuff. The 25 was also fantastic but I thought for the price point, 18 was definitely the best.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

GrAviTy84 posted:

I went to a complimentary tasting for Friends of Laphroaig at the Seven Grand in LA and got to taste the entire line (10, 10 CS, QC, TW, 18, 25) and they also poured two Glenfarclases (18 and 25) to compare age statements to. My favorite for the night was most certainly the Laphroig 18. It's been 3 years now since I've had it, but I remember it being very balanced, with those medicinal briny laphroaig notes tempered with wood sweetness and it being quite velvety feeling in the mouth. Great stuff. The 25 was also fantastic but I thought for the price point, 18 was definitely the best.

A balanced Laphroaig sounds really interesting to me. Out of all the Islays, Laphroaig has always seemed to be the most robust and aggressive. Ardbeg is peaty, but definitely seems a little more well-behaved compared to the peat\medicinal attack that is Laphroaig. That's why I love it so much.

Also, the Laphroaig Three Wood has suddenly shown up in my local liquor store, but with only middling reviews and a cost just above the cask strength and the quarter cask, I don't see myself buying it anytime soon.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Gravity got it right here. 18 has everything one could hope for while going through a glass of 10, and it lacks the overpolished feel of Triple Wood, the crass and bitter tarriness of the QC, and the ridiculous price tag of the 25. It is genuinely worth what it goes for and definitely the star of the Laphroaigh product line. What I get out of the smooth kiss that it feels like on the tongue is the familiar Laphro gauze wrap & iodine plus the smell of a sauna bath (moist, smoky wood) as well as sweet liquorice that is present way more than in the 10.

Sure Laph 25 is a nice drink but I wouldn't buy a bottle at more than $150 which is roughly half its current price.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 13, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Deleuzionist posted:

Gravity got it right here. 18 has everything one could hope for while going through a glass of 10, and it lacks the overpolished feel of Triple Wood, the crass and bitter tarriness of the QC, and the ridiculous price tag of the 25. It is genuinely worth what it goes for and definitely the star of the Laphroaigh product line. What I get out of the smooth kiss that it feels like on the tongue is the familiar Laphro gauze wrap & iodine plus the smell of a sauna bath (moist, smoky wood) as well as sweet liquorice that is present way more than in the 10.

Sure Laph 25 is a nice drink but I wouldn't buy a bottle at more than $150 which is roughly half its current price.
It depends on what you mean by polish. Do you mean that coated feeling you get with most ACE'd whiskies. If so, then yes I agree. I disagree vehemently that Quarter Cask is tarry at all...instead I consider it woodier and sweeter with clean smoke compared to the 10yr. It is also tastes crisper/minerally, perhaps due to its youth...the same goes for Triple Wood.

Over here in California, Laphroaig 18 was $90 just a year ago, now it's $120-130. So you say you wouldn't pay $150 for Laphroaig 25yr, I'd consider that an incredible deal. The only 25yr OB I can think of that comes close to $150 is Glenfarclas. Another price increase to be aware of: Talisker 18yr is $140 now instead of $80. Meh.

Also...has anybody tried Brenne?

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 13, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

kidsafe posted:

It depends on what you mean by polish. Do you mean that coated feeling you get with most ACE'd whiskies. If so, then yes I agree. I disagree vehemently that Quarter Cask is tarry at all...instead I consider it woody, with cleaner smoke compared to the 10yr. It is also tastes crisper/minerally, perhaps due to its youth...the same goes for Triple Wood.

Over here in California, Laphroaig 18 was $90 just a year ago, now it's $120-130. So you say you wouldn't pay $150 for Laphroaig 25yr, I'd consider that an incredible deal. The only 25yr OB I can think of that comes close to $150 is Glenfarclas. Another price increase to be aware of: Talisker 18yr is $140 now instead of $80. Meh.

Also...has anybody tried Brenne?
I mean the coating and its predictability. I didn't much care for Balvenie DW I tasted a few days ago either for much the same reason. I do like the Lagavulin DE for some reason though even if it's essentially the same.

The QC is woody, yes, but the wood smells of sweat and soaked fresh board, as if a caricature of the sauna smell I mentioned earlier. Nosing it next to other Laphroaigs or a Lagavulin was not a pleasant experience to me. The tarriness is in the taste, once you swallow, the way it slowly reeks down the throat as if unduely viscous. Nosed and tasted next to other strong stuff like a young 54% Caol Ila and Ardbeg Corryvreckan it just didn't seem to have any leg to stand on. I know I'm in the minority considering the praise it gets on whiskey related sites but I've rarely been so consistently displeased with an entire bottle.

Of course $150 for Laph 25 would be an incredible deal considering the price it sells for currently, but for example compared to IB stuff of same age or older you can get from other distilleries at $150 (or €150 rather) I don't see the point of paying painful amounts for OBs unless a release of really exceptional quality comes up, and the Laph 25 is not it.

edit: I love this Signatory 13 yo Laphro I took for aperitif. A marriage of two single casks, nobody that likes the normal 10yo should be in any way disappointed. Instantly recognizable yet with a little personality too. Gonna have to try the others in this series too.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 13, 2013

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Tonight I found out the Hudson's Bay Company used to make scotch whiskey. Does anyone here know where I can track a bottle down in Canada? It's something I'd love to have sitting on my shelf.

quote:

In fact HBC used to have a full line of spirits - scotch, rye, brandy, rum, and gin. Of these the best known was probably the scotch, which was marketed under the name "Best Procurable". At one point HBC owned about 25% of the famous Glenlivet distillery in Scotland. Liquor was one of the major pillars of the wholesale division, a part of our business which included tea and coffee, cigarettes and tobacco, and confectionery. HBC sold these items not only in their stores and fur trade posts, but also to other 3rd party retailers who carried the stock in outlets and small town general stores across the country. Hudson's Bay Co., Inc. was our U.S. wholesale subsidiary selling to the American market.

The recession of the 1980s caused HBC to re-examine all its business which was very diversified at that point. It was decided that non-core businesses would be disposed of. The liquor business was one of these. In 1987 Hudson's Bay Distillers was sold to Seagram's. As a result HBC spirits became unavailable in Canada. However, Hudson's Bay Company Blended Scotch Whiskey continues to be sold in the U.S. thanks to special licensing arrangements with Sidney Frank Importing

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

Deleuzionist posted:

Apparently The Whisky Exchange's last or so bottle since the whisky was delisted soon after my order. Abominable price but I paid because I didn't purchase any of it earlier, having misjudged the whisky the first time I tasted it and realized my error only when it was pretty much out of stock everywhere already. Saving mine for the future too.

edit: oh TWE relisted Alligator. Sadly for everyone involved the price remains abominable.

To be fair, I bought two bottles at the distillery earlier this year and it was 100 even there. 125 is a drat good price given the circumstances. Going to pick up another bottle or two. Thanks for the tip!

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

Deleuzionist posted:

The Indian, Chinese and Japanese markets have been pushing Scotch prices higher worldwide due to the massive increase in demand, unfortunately.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Deleuzionist posted:

I mean the coating and its predictability. I didn't much care for Balvenie DW I tasted a few days ago either for much the same reason. I do like the Lagavulin DE for some reason though even if it's essentially the same.

The QC is woody, yes, but the wood smells of sweat and soaked fresh board, as if a caricature of the sauna smell I mentioned earlier. Nosing it next to other Laphroaigs or a Lagavulin was not a pleasant experience to me. The tarriness is in the taste, once you swallow, the way it slowly reeks down the throat as if unduely viscous. Nosed and tasted next to other strong stuff like a young 54% Caol Ila and Ardbeg Corryvreckan it just didn't seem to have any leg to stand on. I know I'm in the minority considering the praise it gets on whiskey related sites but I've rarely been so consistently displeased with an entire bottle.

Of course $150 for Laph 25 would be an incredible deal considering the price it sells for currently, but for example compared to IB stuff of same age or older you can get from other distilleries at $150 (or €150 rather) I don't see the point of paying painful amounts for OBs unless a release of really exceptional quality comes up, and the Laph 25 is not it.

edit: I love this Signatory 13 yo Laphro I took for aperitif. A marriage of two single casks, nobody that likes the normal 10yo should be in any way disappointed. Instantly recognizable yet with a little personality too. Gonna have to try the others in this series too.
See, I love Quarter Cask much more than the 10yr, and now that they are $43 and $55 respectively instead of $30 and $55, the choice for me is clear. The 10yr just tastes overtly medicinal. As for Lagavulin DE, it's probably the least favorite of the ones I've tried. My favorites are Caol Ila, Talisker, Cragganmore in that order. The rest were not memorable. I still have not grown to love Talisker 10, but the DE I think is fantastic.

My view on independent bottlings varies. I liked the Murray-McDavid bottles I've picked up, but I have a Signatory Glen Ord 13yr that is very malty and not much else. I also have an Exclusive Malts Bunnahabhain 22yr that has the alcohol burn of a 10yr. Most of these are single cask bottlings and they have that raw/explosive mouthfeel. And if I wanted the same style down the road, it might be hard or impossible to get one later. In addition, known good independent bottlings past that 20yr mark are still very expensive. My Bunnahabhain 22yr was cheap for a reason...it just isn't very good.

I like the fact that actual distillery OBs will strive toward a variation on a flavor profile...I don't typically want to play a guessing game unless I'm just having one dram at a tasting or something. Handpicked single barrel Glendronach, Glengoyne, etc. are consistently amazing.

dug fin posted:

To be fair, I bought two bottles at the distillery earlier this year and it was 100 even there. 125 is a drat good price given the circumstances. Going to pick up another bottle or two. Thanks for the tip!
I have two bottles myself purchased for $100/ea, but I don't know why. Based on taste and intrinsic qualities alone, it's not a whole lot more than a high ABV 10yr + a peppery kick.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 14, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

dug fin posted:

Aa, I didn't know they asked for that much at the distillery too. I only remembered a local shop asking €100 for it a year ago, which I think was more than what it sold for at that time.

It's sad that TWE upped the price of their remaining Airigh Nam Beist from £110 to £150. I would want more of it but at that price I don't think so.

kidsafe posted:

As for Lagavulin DE, it's probably the least favorite of the ones I've tried.
Do you happen to remember the year of the DE you tried? The 1995 held up pretty favourably next to the standard 16 yo but I haven't tried the others so I've no idea about them. Talisker was praised by a friend too but unfortunately I haven't got to it yet.

Perversely enough I like the guessing game a lot, but freely admit I wouldn't play it on over $100 bottles. If I'm looking for an IB of higher than that price I tend to go for distilleries that in my opinion produce consistently good stuff such as Caol Ila. It's true that some real murky stuff does exist in the IB lineups but I've been lucky so far, and possible inability to purchase more of the same doesn't bother me much as there's always more good bottles to be found even among the relatively few distilleries that I buy consistently enough to be called a habit.

kidsafe posted:

I have two bottles myself purchased for $100/ea, but I don't know why. Based on taste and intrinsic qualities alone, it's not a whole lot more than a high ABV 10yr + a peppery kick.

That's what I got the first time I tasted Alligator and wasn't at all impressed. Gave it another go a few months ago and I was totally charmed by it: a delicious lingering aftertaste that's a bit heavier on the tongue than the Uigeadail and with much more complexity than I remembered from the first glass. It's rare for me to do such a 180 on a whisky so I figured a bottle is in order because further analysis :tinsley: is required.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 14, 2013

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I made a run to my local Binny's in search of a cheap blend and picked up Monkey Shoulder because, well, the bottle looked cool and it was pretty drat cheap, It's actually pretty tasty on the rocks, and it was about $10 less than JWB where I am. Overall, I'm pretty impressed as my expectations were pretty low going in.

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 14, 2013

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Monkey Shoulder is actually a vatted malt, or whatever they call them nowadays.

Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I picked up some Weller 12 the other day based on recommendations I've seen around and I think it definitely lives up to the hype. Excellent flavor and smoothness for the price. Makes me want to set up another blind whiskey tasting with some people.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Got some Pig's Nose today. Jury's still out but it is indeed as soft as a pig's nose. Liking it so far.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Had a couple glasses of Glenlivet 12yr at a restaurant, and I decided to buy a scotch for the first time. I got some Laphroaig 10 yr, and my god does it smell and taste great. All you need is a small bit of water, and it makes it the best thing ever! It is a lot more than I usually spend on alcohol, but I think a real good sipping scotch will do me well.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Holy cow. Looks like Stitzel-Weller is going to be making bourbon again

Any idea what this'll do to the price of Pappy? In my opinion it's such a cult item now that people are willing to pay extravagant sums just because of the name on it. I mean, more and more of it now is just Buffalo Trace. Either way, this is pretty cool news.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Deleuzionist posted:

Do you happen to remember the year of the DE you tried? The 1995 held up pretty favourably next to the standard 16 yo but I haven't tried the others so I've no idea about them. Talisker was praised by a friend too but unfortunately I haven't got to it yet.
It is the 2011 edition distilled in 1995. On the carton it says "lgv.4/499" if that matters. It's not awful, but it just tastes like a below average batch of the 16yr somehow.

NightConqueror posted:

Holy cow. Looks like Stitzel-Weller is going to be making bourbon again

Any idea what this'll do to the price of Pappy? In my opinion it's such a cult item now that people are willing to pay extravagant sums just because of the name on it. I mean, more and more of it now is just Buffalo Trace. Either way, this is pretty cool news.
I imagine it won't affect prices for years, even with existing stocks. They still need to stretch out those old barrels and new juice will need at least 12-23 years in the barrel. At that point who knows, whisky might be less of a fad by then.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

biglads posted:

Monkey Shoulder is actually a vatted malt, or whatever they call them nowadays.

I'm not interested in monkey-flavored whiskies, thankyouverymuch. :colbert:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Apologies for wall-o-text!

I'm a bit late getting to this, but I wanted to say thanks to all of the goons here for the information and their recommendations. With a passing interest in Whiskey I stumbled across this thread late last year, and read through the whole thing. Thanks to all of the recommendations I wound up with a bottle of Highland Park 12yr and Four Roses single barrel for Christmas!

With my only memorable whiskey experience coming from someone who had me try some Jack Daniels and Jim Beam Black a few years ago I wasn't sure what to expect. I really liked the fruity spiciness of the Four Roses.

Having never tasted a scotch I was actually a bit more excited / intrigued to taste the High Land Park. I'd start by describing it as a bit of a challenge to wrap my head around. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't necessarily ready to pour another dram after drinking it. I'm not sure I could pick out / describe the peat, but there was a definite prominent flavor and aroma I hadn't experienced and would have trouble describing. I'm assuming that was the peat. I also definitely tasted the smokiness of it and liked that aspect well enough. I think at least for now the Four Roses is something I will definitely sit and drink on it's own, but the Highland Park I'll have to work towards, probably drinking along with a meal.

Also, in regards to both the Four Roses and the Highland Park, I was very surprised by the lack of uncomfortable burn in my chest. The warmth from both was actually quite pleasant. Is this typical of better Whiskeys and Scotches? I remember the Jack Daniels being pretty hot/harsh, but maybe that's just my memory over time.

Lastly, the other thing that really peaked my interest into whiskey besides this thread is that my favorite restaurant also has quite and extensive whiskey / scotch selection (see below). Anyone see anything on these lists that I should try other than just picking things at random?

Scotch:
Auchentoshan, Glenkinchie 10YR, Aberlour 12YR, Balvenie Doublewood 12YR, Cragganmore 12YR, Dalmore 12YR, Dalwhinnie 15YR, Glenfiddich 12YR, Glenfiddich 15YR, Glenfiddich 21YR, Glengoyne 10YR, Glenlivet 12YR, Glenlivet 18YR, Glenmorangie 10YR, Glenmorangie 18YR, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (Aged In Port Wood), Glenmorangie Lasanta (Aged In Sherry Wood), Glenrothes, Glen Ord, Highland Park 12YR, Isle of Jura 12YR, MaCallan 12YR, Macallan 18YR, Macallan 25YR, Oban 14YR, Royal Lochnager,
Speyburn 10YR, Ardbeg 10YR, Bowmore Legend, Bowmore 21YR, Laphroaig 10YR, Lagavulin 16YR, Glenmorangie Nectar D'or 12YR, Talisker 10YR, Cardhu 12YR, Glenlivet 16YR Nadurra, Glenlivet 21YR

Bourbon:
Blanton's Proof 93, Baker's Proof 107, Booker's Proof 121 to 128, Knob Creek Proof 100, Basil Hayden Proof 80, Bulleit, Bourbon Proof 90, Benchmark Proof 80, Buffalo Trace Proof 90, Eagle Rare Proof 90, Elijah Craig Proof 94, Evan Williams Single Barrel Proof 86.6, Four Roses Proof 90, George Dickle 12 Proof 90, George Dickle 8 Proof 80, Maker's Mark Proof 90,
Maker's Mark 46 Proof 94, Gentleman Jack Proof 80, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Proof 94, Ridgemont Reserve 1792 Proof 93.7, Russell's Reserve Proof 90, Wild Turkey American Honey Proof 71, Wild Turkey 101 Proof 101, Wild Turkey Rare Breed Proof 108.2, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Proof 101, Old Grand Dad Proof 86, Woodford Reserve Proof 90.4, Van Winkle Rye Whiskey Proof 95.6, Bulleit Rye Proof 95, Woodfod Reserve Proprietors Blend

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Lastly, the other thing that really peaked my interest into whiskey besides this thread is that my favorite restaurant also has quite and extensive whiskey / scotch selection (see below). Anyone see anything on these lists that I should try other than just picking things at random?

Is it normal for restaurants to have such an extensive list of Scotch or is this Ron Swanson's mythical Charles Mulligan's Steakhouse?

Things on the list I've had and like: Aberlour 12, Glenlivet 12, Highland Park 12, Speyburn 10, Bowmore Legend, Talisker 10. I haven't had the Laphroaig 10, but I love the QC.

I'd try everything else on the list but especially: Balvenie, Ardbeg and Lagavulin.

You might find this useful to start exploring too:

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm a bit late getting to this, but I wanted to say thanks.......

I should do this also.

Three years ago a co-worker introduced me to whisk(e)y with some crappy honeyed stuff that was way too sweet in addition to a Macallan cask strength. From there with the help of this threads predecessor I have purchased, in order, Macallan 12, Highland Park 12, Aberlour A'Bunadh, Oban 14, Yamazaki 12, Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Talisker 10, Macallan Fine Oak 15, Balvenie Doublewood 12, Ardbeg corryvreckan, Balvenie 15, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Glenmorangie 18 and another Lagavulin 16.

I have liked everything I have tried and most of it was from recommendations to other people in this thread. My favorites so far are Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg corryvreckan. I wish I could get a few bottles of every Ardbeg statement to hold on to, I am already sad that eventually they will be gone or be prohibitively expensive.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Anyone see anything on these lists that I should try other than just picking things at random?

Since you can get samples of these and don't have to invest in a whole bottle I would branch out into a few different flavor profiles.

Aberlour 12YR, Balvenie Doublewood 12YR, Ardbeg 10YR, Laphroaig 10YR, Lagavulin 16YR, Glenlivet 16YR Nadurra.

I think that would give you a fairly good sample of the variety scotch can offer. I bet someone else here will have better advice than me. I still feel pretty new to scotch.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Apologies for wall-o-text!

I'm a bit late getting to this, but I wanted to say thanks to all of the goons here for the information and their recommendations. With a passing interest in Whiskey I stumbled across this thread late last year, and read through the whole thing. Thanks to all of the recommendations I wound up with a bottle of Highland Park 12yr and Four Roses single barrel for Christmas!

With my only memorable whiskey experience coming from someone who had me try some Jack Daniels and Jim Beam Black a few years ago I wasn't sure what to expect. I really liked the fruity spiciness of the Four Roses.

Having never tasted a scotch I was actually a bit more excited / intrigued to taste the High Land Park. I'd start by describing it as a bit of a challenge to wrap my head around. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't necessarily ready to pour another dram after drinking it. I'm not sure I could pick out / describe the peat, but there was a definite prominent flavor and aroma I hadn't experienced and would have trouble describing. I'm assuming that was the peat. I also definitely tasted the smokiness of it and liked that aspect well enough. I think at least for now the Four Roses is something I will definitely sit and drink on it's own, but the Highland Park I'll have to work towards, probably drinking along with a meal.

Also, in regards to both the Four Roses and the Highland Park, I was very surprised by the lack of uncomfortable burn in my chest. The warmth from both was actually quite pleasant. Is this typical of better Whiskeys and Scotches? I remember the Jack Daniels being pretty hot/harsh, but maybe that's just my memory over time.

Scotch:
Auchentoshan, Glenkinchie 10YR, Aberlour 12YR, Balvenie Doublewood 12YR, Cragganmore 12YR, Dalmore 12YR, Dalwhinnie 15YR, Glenfiddich 12YR, Glenfiddich 15YR, Glenfiddich 21YR, Glengoyne 10YR, Glenlivet 12YR, Glenlivet 18YR, Glenmorangie 10YR, Glenmorangie 18YR, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (Aged In Port Wood), Glenmorangie Lasanta (Aged In Sherry Wood), Glenrothes, Glen Ord, Highland Park 12YR, Isle of Jura 12YR, MaCallan 12YR, Macallan 18YR, Macallan 25YR, Oban 14YR, Royal Lochnager,
Speyburn 10YR, Ardbeg 10YR, Bowmore Legend, Bowmore 21YR, Laphroaig 10YR, Lagavulin 16YR, Glenmorangie Nectar D'or 12YR, Talisker 10YR, Cardhu 12YR, Glenlivet 16YR Nadurra, Glenlivet 21YR

Bourbon:
Blanton's Proof 93, Baker's Proof 107, Booker's Proof 121 to 128, Knob Creek Proof 100, Basil Hayden Proof 80, Bulleit, Bourbon Proof 90, Benchmark Proof 80, Buffalo Trace Proof 90, Eagle Rare Proof 90, Elijah Craig Proof 94, Evan Williams Single Barrel Proof 86.6, Four Roses Proof 90, George Dickle 12 Proof 90, George Dickle 8 Proof 80, Maker's Mark Proof 90,
Maker's Mark 46 Proof 94, Gentleman Jack Proof 80, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Proof 94, Ridgemont Reserve 1792 Proof 93.7, Russell's Reserve Proof 90, Wild Turkey American Honey Proof 71, Wild Turkey 101 Proof 101, Wild Turkey Rare Breed Proof 108.2, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Proof 101, Old Grand Dad Proof 86, Woodford Reserve Proof 90.4, Van Winkle Rye Whiskey Proof 95.6, Bulleit Rye Proof 95, Woodfod Reserve Proprietors Blend

So there are two ways you could do this, I suppose. People are recommending going and getting an array of things which would be good for a first time, but you can also do regional or style tastings if you wanted.

I would break it up into sessions, if you don't mind going a few times.

I would try the Balvenie Doublewood, the Aberlour 12, the Glenmorangie Lasanta, and the Macallan 12 one day (sherried speys) Maybe the Dalmore.

then: HP 12, Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg 10, Bowmore Legend, Laphroaig 10. (intro to peat)

Maybe: all of the glenmorangies (the effect of age and 2nd barrel "finishing") I would do 10, Nectar d'Or, LaSanta, Quinta Ruban, then 18.

You can kinda tell the curator of the whisky collection isn't the biggest fan of smokey or spicy whiskies based on what he has. Not too many Islays or Ryes.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Is it normal for restaurants to have such an extensive list of Scotch or is this Ron Swanson's mythical Charles Mulligan's Steakhouse?
Heh, I don't think it's normal, but the place has got a pretty big bar in addition to the restaurant. If your ever in Cincinnati, check it out.

http://deshas.com/cincinnati/menu/bourbon
http://deshas.com/cincinnati/menu/scotch

There's also another place I've yet to get over to, but would like to try.
http://www.experiencethepub.com/rookwood/menu/drinks/single-malt-scotch
http://www.experiencethepub.com/rookwood/menu/drinks/small-batch-single-barrel-bourbons

And thanks for the recommendations. I like the idea of trying things based on the regions? I try to eat there at least once or twice a month, so I'll give that a shot.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do you guys know what bourbon the main character in Boss friend of the family drank? Tried imdb trivia of all things and couldnt find it.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Reading through all the posts, I see a lot of Scotch, Rye and Bourbon comments. While I do drink some Rye, I predominantly drink Irish Whiskey. I would echo a lot of the superlative comments for Redbreast, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the other, new Single Pot Stilled Irish Whiskeys? Seeing as I've drank Green Spot, Redbreast 12yr and Yellow Spot, I was wondering if anyone can comment on the value of the others, i.e Powers John's Lane 12yr, Redbreast 12 yr Cask Strength and Middleton Barry Crockett Legacy (I've never drank Redbreast 15yr, but I've already been given tips by a friend). Mostly interested in the first two, as the Crockett Legacy is out of this world expensive.

As for Irish Whiskey reviews in general, Yellow Spot is simply the greatest I've ever had, a gift this past Christmas. With basically an eye drop or two of water, some time letting it open up and tiny sips to start out, it basically became incredible. There's a little bite at the get go, I would assume from the 92 proof, but the finish is in out of this world sweet and flavorful (the official tasting notes list creme brulee, and you can definitely taste it). It's not like a bourbon, sugar sweetness though (which I don't care for). Without realizing it, I took a couple of big swigs in a short time and killed my first glass. Highly recommend it

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

GordonComstock posted:

Reading through all the posts, I see a lot of Scotch, Rye and Bourbon comments. While I do drink some Rye, I predominantly drink Irish Whiskey. I would echo a lot of the superlative comments for Redbreast, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the other, new Single Pot Stilled Irish Whiskeys? Seeing as I've drank Green Spot, Redbreast 12yr and Yellow Spot, I was wondering if anyone can comment on the value of the others, i.e Powers John's Lane 12yr, Redbreast 12 yr Cask Strength and Middleton Barry Crockett Legacy (I've never drank Redbreast 15yr, but I've already been given tips by a friend). Mostly interested in the first two, as the Crockett Legacy is out of this world expensive.

As for Irish Whiskey reviews in general, Yellow Spot is simply the greatest I've ever had, a gift this past Christmas. With basically an eye drop or two of water, some time letting it open up and tiny sips to start out, it basically became incredible. There's a little bite at the get go, I would assume from the 92 proof, but the finish is in out of this world sweet and flavorful (the official tasting notes list creme brulee, and you can definitely taste it). It's not like a bourbon, sugar sweetness though (which I don't care for). Without realizing it, I took a couple of big swigs in a short time and killed my first glass. Highly recommend it

Yellow Spot and Green spot are awfully rare in the US, and I have never seen them for sale. I haven't delved much into Irish Whisky besides Red Breast (which I liked, but feel was slightly too expensive at $50).

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

Deleuzionist posted:

Aa, I didn't know they asked for that much at the distillery too. I only remembered a local shop asking €100 for it a year ago, which I think was more than what it sold for at that time.

Yeah, it was 100 pounds, too, not dollars. Quite expensive. I'm a big fan of three tastes in a scotch - peat, peppery oak and salt. Alligator is fantastic in all three, especially the pepper from that charred oak. I think it smells like BBQ meat. Love the stuff.

I picked up a couple bottles of both 94 and 95. I think the 94 is extremely good. The 95 is very nice, but doesn't hold a candle to the 94 in my eyes. I'll be writing a review soon of the 95 for my blog, but here's the 94.

http://www.scotchbynumbers.com/2012/07/lagavulin-1994-distillers-edition.html

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

GordonComstock posted:

I don't mind picking up some Irish to review if you have any requests. I moved from the states to Dublin in the middle of last year, so Irish whiskey especially is quite easy for me to get.

I've mostly stuck with trying different types of Connemara since it's the only Irish peated, but I don't mind branching out a bit if it'll help anyone.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I hate to keep pushing my blog (well, no, I don't HATE it, just feel like I'm beating a dead horse), this is one of the types of questions I'm trying to field with it. I break down the various notes that I pull out - what ones I can, at least, and keep them filterable. Take a look at the following link and look for tastes that you may like. It might help in finding something you like.

I've got maybe a dozen more tastings I need to start adding, I should really get on that.

http://www.scotchbynumbers.com/p/scotch.html

Alternatively, you can do one of two things rather than picking totally randomly.

If you just want to try things out over one trip, do a dram / half dram from each region.

Islay, Highlands, Lowlands, Speyside, Islands

Or, if you want to go five times, do several from one region (just in case there's a distiller you don't like, it's worth trying different ones).

It also helps to keep notes - you don't need to get fancy, just what you thought about it.

There are a few questions to ask about Scotch you're drinking to get more information on what you like. There are really five main things to know about a scotch to have some idea of the general flavor profile it will have. Ask questions to find them out will help you figure out what types of things you like.

1) What's the region it's from? (You can usually get this from the menu, if not, ask)
2) Who's the distiller? (You can almost always get this from the menu - fairly obvious)
3) What's the age? (Usually from the bottle)
4) Is it peated or unpeated? (Some bartenders may know, a lot won't)
5) What type of cask was it aged in? (Scotch-centric bartenders will know, most won't)

Going solely by price, highland / speyside scotches that are unpeated and between 18 and 21 years old and aged in straight bourbon casks will be on the top shelf of most bars. Looking at it from a price standpoint, you can think that that's going to be the best available. What I've personally found though is that I like peated Islay whiskies that are ten years old and under, preferably five years where you can get them. I also prefer whiskies finished in port and sherry casks, because it adds an interesting dimension with peat. Those types of preferences are the ones you're trying to establish when you get into drinking scotch.

dug fin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 16, 2013

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

@ Dug Fin: Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on your blog. I know I landed there at some point in the past. It's the only place so far I've seen Tobermory 10 mentioned and your review had me intrigued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit:
Also saw these. They caught my eye enough to take a picture, though I'm not sure I would try them anytime soon.

Just saw that Balcones Texas Single Malt won Best in Glass award for 2012. I'll plan to pick some up this weekend and get
back with a tasting review.

http://caskstrength.blogspot.com/2012/12/best-in-glass-award-2012-winning-whisky.html

Hrmm the distillery is only 100m away. I might need to go for a visit.