Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

yyyyyy posted:

It was one mile away on a straight road dude, I'm not trying to get into whatever thing you want to get into, yeah I shouldn't have bought it but it's too late now

I'm so glad you decided to register an account today, just to tell us how safe it is to have you on the streets and enlighten us about why BMWs suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

Electric Bugaloo posted:

"I shouldn't have driven high and plowed my rattletrap shitbox (that I bought while high) into that van full of third-graders but it's too late now."

You are the worst.
I had smoked and then the guy showed up (unexpectedly) and asked if i wanted to test drive it, I wasn't like "time to smoke some bowls and go drive a car" sheesh calm down

Also except for the leak everything else works great & is in really nice condition for how old and how many miles it has and how cheap it was (initially, ha ha ha)

Sir Cornelius posted:

I'm so glad you decided to register an account today, just to tell us how safe it is to have you on the streets and enlighten us about why BMWs suck.

I really like my BMW I just think it's kind of funny how it went from working fine when purchased to everything breaks in less than 24 hours

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I had just gotten plastered and the guy shows up and says "you want to test drive my shitbox and then buy it?" and there's no possible way I could say "Nah, I'm not exactly in a position to drive or make informed decisions, can we do this again tomorrow or in a few days?"

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

FIRST TIME posted:

I'm going to buy the proper BMW brand part from Pelican for $95 but would it hurt me to buy this eBay knock off to roll around with for a month or so while I build my cash reserves back up...

Hell, I'd buy 3 of those at once and keep the spares in the trunk......buy the OEM version down the road if these turn out to be lovely.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

yyyyyy posted:

I had smoked and then the guy showed up (unexpectedly) and asked if i wanted to test drive it, I wasn't like "time to smoke some bowls and go drive a car" sheesh calm down

..........and I quote:

yyyyyy posted:

I've driven a million billion miles high without incident

quote:

I really like my BMW I just think it's kind of funny how it went from working fine when purchased to everything breaks in less than 24 hours

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY NOT WHAT HAPPENED. IT ONLY SEEMS THAT WAY BECAUSE YOU ARE A loving MORON.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY NOT WHAT HAPPENED. IT ONLY SEEMS THAT WAY BECAUSE YOU ARE A loving MORON.

To be fair he's done some good. He's made Tusen Takk look like a very weak troll.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Speaking of, you'd have to be both high AND retarded to buy the 318ti that I just looked at. I don't know when the hell that picture is from, but certainly not anytime recently. Let me sum it up:

-Last safety inspection sticker on the car was from when I was in high school. I'm 29.
-Sometime did a terrible job of installing a fiberglass lower lip on the front bumper, then ran it into a curb. Front bumper was bowed out where it meets both fenders
-No stereo and a bunch of shoddy wiring and an RCA cable hanging out in there. Then loose wiring in the trunk to a nonexistant sub.
-Paint faded badly (which is why i suspect that picture is 10 years old) and has been sitting uncovered in a barn.
-Mileage was 30,000km higher than the ad listing
-Couldn't even drive it. Crammed into a barn next to some other cars

Surprisingly, the body was solid. Would have made a good shell for something but I certainly wouldn't trust anything else on the car.

I've looked at a couple e36s this week and it makes me realize that aside from the rust mine is in way better shape than most. Downloading a passport application now so I can look at picking something up in the states in the summer.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Captain Postal posted:

It's not a mechanical thing, it's just to inform you that black ice may have formed and adjust your driving style appropriately. Germans believe you should be given orders for every situation. So it can't (or shouldn't be possible to) reprogram it.

As for leaks, no idea about your vintage but my door vapour barriers leak like a mo-fo. If you have those, check them if the leak continues. Much easier job than windscreen sealer.

Thanks for the tip on the vapor barrier, and pardon my US spelling when I ask for more info.

But... What... IS the vapor barrier? The rubber piece inside the door frame that the window glass presses against?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There's a speaker under the driver's footwell you could unplug if the cold weather warning really bothered you.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Surprisingly, the body was solid. Would have made a good shell for something but I certainly wouldn't trust anything else on the car.

When I'm Rich I'll start an S50B32 M318ti build.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
Saw this boss M3 while on a bus tour of Belize City. I wish I could have gotten a closer look at it.

Click for huge:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I'd be down if it wasn't for the blacked out headlights. It looks terrible and I hate it when I come across it in real life, creating a hazard on the same road that I'm driving on.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

FIRST TIME posted:

I'd be down if it wasn't for the blacked out headlights. It looks terrible and I hate it when I come across it in real life, creating a hazard on the same road that I'm driving on.

Its Central America. You'll have more problems with non-functional electrics and 40 year old Datsuns than "CANT SEE poo poo".

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
Maybe you guys can help me.

So I finally got my car sold and have about 7k to work with. I'm looking to buy an E36 M3 and I'm having the damnest time finding one that is in both good shape but also not at a absurd price. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

So far I've looked at a 99 that a guy wanted 10k for. Initially when I talked to him I told him I was looking for something around 8k and he told me to come to his shop and see it, that the exterior was a 9 out of 10. I go out there and after inspecting it find many numerous problems; front air drat is cracked down the middle (9 out of 10 eh?) and the interior has been chain smoked in and cigarette burns everywhere. I'm not going into all the mechanical issues I found and I'm not even that knowledgeable. The car was leaking oil like a sieve. Guy shows up 30 minutes later says to me "So you mentioned on the phone you wanted something for around 8k?" I say yeah and he laughs and says "yeah right that's not gonna happen." At this point I tell him I wouldn't give him 6 for the car and leave. Sorry that was more of a rant that being informative.

I've found several cars somewhat local to me on bimmerforums but it seems like they all universally want way more than blue book values for the cars, even in sub par condition. M3forum.net is a cesspool of obnoxious elitists so other than scouting their classifieds which are typically new model m3's I don't browse there too much. I've also checked autotrader. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

I'm looking for an E36 M3, either vert or coupe that's in relatively good shape, bone stock, and with mileage under 150k. Is this too much to ask for under 10k? KBB, Edmunds, NADA, and black book all list them for anywhere between 6 on the low end and 10 on the high. Is there a reason why people seem to be selling them for 2-3k more and am I being unrealistic?

I've got one I'm looking at now that appears to be in really good shape exterior/interior wise and was also more or less overhauled last year. The only problem is that it has 167k miles on it. Guy says the motor was re-built but I asked for the documentation and it looks like they just did a major tune up on it. I don't know BMW's that well but what little research I've done on seems it's not very common for people to actually re-build the s50 or s52 engine due to aluminum block and getting tolerances right again etc.

Here's the CL ad:

craigslist posted:

bmw e36 m3 1995 obd1 it has freshly rebuilt motor with around 8,000 miles. body has 169,xxx on it. i have all paperwork to prove the rebuild. vehicle is a 5spd with black exterior and black leather interior.very clean car for its age. car has a few mods including headers,euro mass air flow, turner motorsport chip,intake,21.5 injectors, new polyurethane trailing arm bushings. with new struts and shocks.

email is the best way for contact. price is 6500 OBO. worst i can say is no

Issues with car are:
Few scratches on front bumper
Door panels need fixing/ replacing (glue is old and starting to show) I'm looking for new ones
the front seats the seams have popped loose just need restitching on the bottoms

No trades! Come with cash in hand

And here's what he calls documentation on the rebuild:

Pictures he texted me.

A lot has been done on the car, but that's hardly a rebuild. I asked him for clarification on why he says it's a rebuilt and if its the original pistons/valves/berrings etc. He replies "No man it's all original." I feel like this might be a red flag. What do you guys think about a car with that kind of mileage? Am I hosed for finding anything decent for what I'd like to pay or am I gonna have to pony up 10-12k. I'd just feel kind of sick to pay that for a 14 year old car than I'm planning on being a money pit to get it like I want it regardless.

In the interests of someone on here being local to me, I live just south of Charlotte, NC if you've got something to sell.

It's my dream car but I'm starting to lose hope. I've only been looking for around 3 weeks though so maybe I just need to patient.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Not an M3, but if it has a solid body it could be a great platform to start from:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3540996770.html

If you happen to look at this let me know. I'm tempted to drive down to Richmond and pick this up as a track car project.

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Not an M3, but if it has a solid body it could be a great platform to start from:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3540996770.html

If you happen to look at this let me know. I'm tempted to drive down to Richmond and pick this up as a track car project.

Yeah I'm pretty sold on the M3. For what it would take to get a 328 not even close to an m3 would make up the difference if I can find one around 7k. If I end up heading north to look at something I'll let you know and swing by to take a look at it for you.

I've found a few with a good price on them...all automatics. :saddowns:

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Where are you located?

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

juche mane posted:

Where are you located?

Rock Hill, SC

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Shachi posted:

It's my dream car but I'm starting to lose hope. I've only been looking for around 3 weeks though so maybe I just need to patient.

Don't lose hope man! Its better to hold out for a good example before you plunk down some hard earned coin. A well sorted M3 will cost some coin and take some time to find.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It took me 6 months to find an e36 m3 worth buying. Granted, I live in eastern Canada but I drove quite a few cars. The key is to drive as many as possible, but I find with cars you will know its "the one" within the first few minutes of driving it.

Also, s5x motors are iron block. Generally the bottom end is bulletproof unless the dreaded oil pump nut failure has occurred or its been tracked hard without baffling/ s54 oil pickup.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
After 7 enjoyable years owning BMWs (e46 M3, e60 530d, e92 320d) I have spent the last year driving around in a knackered old Vauxhall Signum. It's great for chucking the mountain bikes and the dogs in, but I miss having a decent car terribly.

Would I be stupid to buy a circa-2006 e65 750i / e66 750li? I would only do maybe 3000 miles a year. I can't believe they are so cheap these days ( because they are expensive to tax, insure, fuel and service and not really that practical? ). I was thinking of spending around £8000 on a high mileage one (circa 120k miles) and keeping a few thousand pounds in a "fix fund" for when things break, or maybe spending the extra money on a lower mileage car.

From what I gather the N62B48 is pretty reliable. I have a trusted local independent whom I would use for any work needed and would get them to replace the oil, flush the gearbox and give it an overhaul as a matter of course as soon as I bought the car. I would keep the old Vauxhall as my dog and bike car and use the 750 for wafting about in and cool car guy stuff.

Edit: the 730d seems to be much more popular in the UK than the 750i, but the extra fuel economy isn't going to outweigh the risk of turbo failure, swirl flap breakage, DPF failure etc over the relative simplicity of a naturally aspirated V8 (I think)...

plecostomus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 14, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

plecostomus posted:

Would I be stupid to buy a circa-2006 e65 750i / e66 750li? I would only do maybe 3000 miles a year. I can't believe they are so cheap these days ( because they are expensive to tax, insure, fuel and service and not really that practical? ). I was thinking of spending around £8000 on a high mileage one (circa 120k miles) and keeping a few thousand pounds in a "fix fund" for when things break, or maybe spending the extra money on a lower mileage car.

It has been claimed to be even worse in reliability than the E38. The N62 does have an issue with burning oil as it gets up there in age. Its just due to the valve seals failing.... But the engine is pretty soild.

Your much better off looking for a E39 if you need a large DD. And if you must have a large sedan, buy a 00 or 01 740i. That's about the best years, and even then they are basket cases.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
BMW announced the 320i as the new entry level 3 series for the US today.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/explore/bmwenthusiasts/DetroitAutoShow.aspx

Am I the only one that thinks the 328i has more than enough performance to be considered the "fast" one? Car weights seem to be leveling off, I don't really see the need for ever increasing horsepower in these normal commuter cars. I would also like a more performance oriented S4 competitor in the 335i, now that the M3 has separated itself as an insane $70k high performance car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ynotony posted:

BMW announced the 320i as the new entry level 3 series for the US today.
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/explore/bmwenthusiasts/DetroitAutoShow.aspx

Am I the only one that thinks the 328i has more than enough performance to be considered the "fast" one? Car weights seem to be leveling off, I don't really see the need for ever increasing horsepower in these normal commuter cars. I would also like a more performance oriented S4 competitor in the 335i, now that the M3 has separated itself as an insane $70k high performance car.

I give no shits about that, but THIS is the best news ever. BMW didn't kill off the 3 series wagon after all :swoon:

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It has been claimed to be even worse in reliability than the E38. The N62 does have an issue with burning oil as it gets up there in age. Its just due to the valve seals failing.... But the engine is pretty soild.

Your much better off looking for a E39 if you need a large DD. And if you must have a large sedan, buy a 00 or 01 740i. That's about the best years, and even then they are basket cases.

Agreeing with this. My BMW shop hates 7's with a passion, because they're so prone to various failures. 5's are plenty big enough, especially if you get a sport-wagon. The issue with 7's is they're often not taken care of, as most of the original buyers are upper class businessmen who use them and then toss them after 5-7 years. Not a lot of preventative maintenance combined with being the platform BMW tests technology on is the reason the older ones are worth so little.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
For some reason 5'ers are usually a pretty solid platform. The electronics come from the previous generation 7 series, but have all the bugs worked out. Also it seems like most people that own them generally take good care of them. For some reason (this is a very general explanation) people that own 5'ers generally hang on to them longer than the average 7/3 series owner. Where the average 3/7 owner just owns them through the lease, the 5 series owners hang on to them longer, and especially the people that own wagons. They hang on to them forever.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
After work on Saturday afternoon, I got in my car and when I put it in Drive, there was a bit of an odd clunk and nothing happened. I tried it in Reverse, same thing. I turned it off and got out to investigate. This is what I found:

Someone had jacked the car up and removed the lug studs, then set it down and left it like that. You can see the spot in the second picture where they cleared out the gravel and put a jack there, like they even knew where to put it. No idea why they left it like they did. My car was the only one parked in that area as I was one of three people at work at the time. The area behind our shop is a pretty bad area, the cops/EMS/fire trucks are usually out several times a month. I'm just glad they didn't take the lug studs, I would have been hitching a ride to the dealership if that were the case.

Travolta's line from Pulp Fiction has been going through my head. You just don't gently caress with someone's car, man.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That is so loving wierd, because they would have had to know how to do the stupid balancing trick with the wheel while letting the car down. It even looks like they used the proper factory jack point too. Aborted wheel theft?

Also, apparently I don't want an e36:

dumbass from kijiji posted:

Hi, Saw your add and unless you have a thing for an e36 the E46 would be a much better car. It was introduced in 1999 and was built for a few years. Much better styling finish etc. Also not as many rusties as the older ones. You might get a good one low mileage from 5,000 to 8,000. The model you want is a 323ci. It has the 2.5 liter engine and why it is badged 323 I don't know. The bigger engine and slightly worse gas mileage is the 328 with a 2.8 liter engine.

Of course much more expensive is the M# of the same body style. But much more expensive.

I have the former one and like it a lot. Google some pics of a 323 ci and I think you will be immpressed.

Good Luck

I like how he recommends the two models with e36 engines :allears:

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 14, 2013

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Crustashio posted:

That is so loving wierd, because they would have had to know how to do the stupid balancing trick with the wheel while letting the car down. It even looks like they used the proper factory jack point too. Aborted wheel theft?
Yeah, my boss who had just left but came back to check out what happened said it looked like someone was in the process of trying to take it but got scared off.

Does anyone have any experience with any wheel locks like this? I know real car thiefs can get around them, but it'll keep away most people.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Never hurts to have wheel locks. If nothing else, it may take them more time and someone may interrupt them. Doesn't help if you're parked out of the way I suppose.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Deceptor101 posted:

Agreeing with this. My BMW shop hates 7's with a passion, because they're so prone to various failures. 5's are plenty big enough, especially if you get a sport-wagon. The issue with 7's is they're often not taken care of, as most of the original buyers are upper class businessmen who use them and then toss them after 5-7 years. Not a lot of preventative maintenance combined with being the platform BMW tests technology on is the reason the older ones are worth so little.

A decent data point: Almost ALL the new 5/7's on Bimmerfest are 2-3 year leases. All these guys Turn and BURN, not so much on the 3's though.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Yeah, my boss who had just left but came back to check out what happened said it looked like someone was in the process of trying to take it but got scared off.

I bet they were thinking those were $5,000 RIMZ on (what I am guessing is a E46 330ci since it looks my old one RIP). Then got scared and ran off.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 15, 2013

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Does anyone have any experience with any wheel locks like this? I know real car thiefs can get around them, but it'll keep away most people.

Just make sure to get a set with 2 keys - keep one in your house, and one in the toolkit. And honestly, they will barely stop anyone but if it makes you sleep better then go for it. A couple soft wall sockets or the dedicated wheel lock removers will defeat them.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm surprised that someone would go to the hassle of trying to steal those Style 68s. They're great looking wheels, but they're pretty dang common.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Are you sure it's not one of your friends loving around with you?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
While I was leaving work tonight an e46 drove by and went to the apartments at the end of the street. The car looks like it was used in a car chase in a movie...taped plastic covered windows, dents ALL OVER every panel, and the same loving wheels as my car. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if it was those guys who were trying to take my wheel and probably got stopped for whatever reason. I would hazard to guess their car probably has at least one bent wheel judging the condition of it. Looks like my car's staying in an empty shop bay for a while.

BraveUlysses posted:

Are you sure it's not one of your friends loving around with you?
Yeah, I'm sure. I don't know what kind of friends you have but mine don't gently caress with people's cars.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

KakerMix posted:

I give no shits about that, but THIS is the best news ever. BMW didn't kill off the 3 series wagon after all :swoon:

Hell yes! :krad:

I don't think I'll be able to afford a new one but hopefully I'll be able to grab one in a few years which should be exactly on schedule with my mid-life crisis.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BMW confirmed the 3 series wagon was coming on the new platform ages ago. If the leaked picture from a meeting is accurate, they're also bring it in a diesel trim.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Deceptor101 posted:

Keyser S0ze posted:

A decent data point: Almost ALL the new 5/7's on Bimmerfest are 2-3 year leases. All these guys Turn and BURN, not so much on the 3's though.

Thanks fellas, certainly food for thought. I really like the look of the e65, but if it will spend a lot of time in the garage being fixed at great expense then maybe it's not such a good plan.

I've also been looking right at the other end of the scale, well-specced 130is with under 80k on the clock are going for around £8500. I don't need space or practicality really, I have the old banger for that. I guess a 130i would be a more sensible bet? Also a NA 3.0 six with 265bhp in a RWD hatch sounds like great fun.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
In Nas' album friend of the family, the infold has a picture of a BMW, I think its a E26 M1. Can anyone confirm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

WYA posted:

In Nas' album friend of the family, the infold has a picture of a BMW, I think its a E26 M1. Can anyone confirm?
How is it that this is the second post in the past ten minutes you've made in two of my only eight bookmarked threads with the word "friend of the family"?

EDIT: Nevermind, your recent post history makes that clear.