Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Re: my Powered Power Armor issues... I just ran across a suit of Vault-Tec power armor in Vault 11. I do like the look of that armor a lot, but was a bit perplexed since I don't currently have the mod installed. Checked TESEdit; I didn't realize the Project Nevada Equipment module added so much in the power armor department. The weird thing was that this was the most functional (PPA-wise) armor I've tried; it actually consumes power and shuts down when empty, with the appropriate weight bonuses and penalties. None of the temperature stuff works, though. So weird. Thus far, my tests with vanilla power armor have resulted in either no PPA features being activated, or just the on/off voice alerts along with the Pip-boy HUD icon. *sigh* The detective-ing continues...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Hog Butcher posted:

I'm redoing my Bashed patch.

Just remembered one other thing! CCO's Fear the Reaper is only providing the perk rate increase, not the health drop. ST's, which I was using previously, only did the health drop, not the perk rate increase.

edit: I'm dumb, I assumed it was the same thing between the two. :v:
Fear the Reaper decreased your maximum health in older versions, but it doesn't do that anymore to be friendlier to respecing characters later. It now does this, if you'll allow me to copy-paste from my own readme:

quote:

Live hard and fast, that's always been your plan. You gain a perk every level instead of every two, but your Damage Threshold is permanently halved and you regain less health from all healing sources.

Sadrith Mora
Oct 30, 2008
I'm looking to start playing again, and I want to get the most out of this play through. I was wondering which if any of the major overhaul mods were compatible with each other. Also for installation is FOMM better than the nexus mod manager? Thanks in advance.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Looks like OOC Community is having hosting issues again. As usual, here are the Nexus links while the main website is down:

CCO: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44027

Ulysses Companion: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48600

Given that we seem to be having a lot of hosting issues lately, may I request that the Nexus links be linked in the OP as mirrors?

Also, I may end up doing one more update for the Ulysses Companion mod. Along with some minor bug fixes, I'll also be adding a note you can find on Ulysses' corpse if he dies while hired. Same sort of deal as Boone's letter to his wife, tech-wise. I think it adds a nice bit of closure to Ulysses' story if he ends up dying in your service. Here's the full text of the note; feel free to give me some feedback on it. I tried to capture Ulysses' manic rear end as best I could.

quote:

&PCName; -

If you're reading this, I didn't make it to the end of the road with you. Expected as much. Your road is to be walked alone - to join you on it is a death sentence. Others probably feel it too. But I do not regret walking the long road with you. You gave me another life at the Divide - only fair I give you the same in exchange.

No, you gave me more than that at the Divide. Showed me a world that could be. A world that is waiting to be born. A world made from conviction and action, that stands tall above the ruins of old. Too many chain themselves to the Old World - they borrow ideas, beliefs, appearances, identities from a world that died long ago. But not you. You leave it behind, learn from it without becoming a slave to it.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?" A question I asked the Old World. A question I asked you. A question I asked myself. So many in the Mojave do not know the answer. They carry flags without knowing their history, they follow symbols without knowing their meaning. That is why so many - like me - are drawn to follow you. You carry the shadow of a nation to be - you are a nation unto yourself, unbound by the weakness and prejudice of the Old World. You are the voice of the New World, and whatever flag you follow, the Mojave will bow before it.

To us, America is not dead. I carried it on my back, and now you carry it in your actions and words. You will remake it in your image. America will be whatever you choose to make it. The Mojave is only the beginning. You are the first breath of a new nation. That is your road. I am proud to have walked a part of it with you, as one Courier follows another.

- Ulysses

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cirosan posted:

Looks like OOC Community is having hosting issues again. As usual, here are the Nexus links while the main website is down:

CCO: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/44027

Ulysses Companion: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/48600

Done!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Lilfut posted:

Okay, so is there a more convenient way to do dialogue trees in GECK than tedious, repetitive nested if/else statements combined with way too many message files?
Just to be sure, are you using the "old" Bethesda editor or the new Obsidian editor? Both are still in GECK, but for anything involving actual branching, it's almost always easier to use the OEI editor.

This is the editor I'm talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuFepoBHptk&t=332s

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Does anyone know what retextures the WRP pack is missing from Arenovalis' latest updates?

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Gyshall posted:

Does anyone know what retextures the WRP pack is missing from Arenovalis' latest updates?

Only things missing are the retakes of the 12.7 mm SMG, .357 revolver, and single shotgun.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

How can I disable the first couple of slides at the very beginning of the game? I'm switching between the GECK and the game a lot and it's getting pretty obnoxious to be forced to sit through them time and time again. Those seconds start to add up, ya know.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

How can I disable the first couple of slides at the very beginning of the game? I'm switching between the GECK and the game a lot and it's getting pretty obnoxious to be forced to sit through them time and time again. Those seconds start to add up, ya know.
There's no way to disable the slides completely. There are some lines in the .ini for them, but changing those does nothing.
And they are there to hide the fact that the game game needs some time to boot up. If you mash Escape, or the mouse button a bit, the game will move to the main menu once it's done loading.

Edit:
You could try this setting in the fallout.ini file.
fLoadingInitUpdateInterval=0.0000
That should make the transition between slides faster.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 15, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Upmarket Mango posted:

Like Raygereio said, I'm pretty sure those slides only hide the fact that you wouldn't be able to do anything anyway, since the game is still loading everything it needs.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Every time I try to apply a filter in FNVEdit, I get an error, "Access violation at address 00405BA4 in module 'FNVEdit.exe'. Read of address 0039FFDC." Anybody know what that's about?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Dang, that sucks but I didn't even think they were just hiding a loading screen or whatever. Makes sense.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Hey, what mods are out there to add more gimmick special ammo types? Seems .50MG and 12 gauge get all the attention in the vanilla game. (Yeah, there's one thing linked in the OP, but no one says what exactly it changes.)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Hey, what mods are out there to add more gimmick special ammo types? Seems .50MG and 12 gauge get all the attention in the vanilla game. (Yeah, there's one thing linked in the OP, but no one says what exactly it changes.)

A bunch of poo poo. Let me dig up the last post I made with it in it.

quote:

:ducksiren:Newest release of Gtab's Ammo Master :ducksiren:

Newest version includes:
code:
A breakdown/manufacture recipe for every goddamned ammo in the game (I think! Let me know if I missed anything).
Incendiary rounds for .308, 5.56, and 5mm.
BTHP Rounds for .44, .357, and .45-70
Buckshot 40mm and 25mm rounds.
Beehive 40mm Rounds. 
The new ammos were taken from another ammo mod floating around TFR. They won't show up on baddies or shops, afaik since I haven't hosed about with any levelled lists but you can craft all of them.

Installation instructions. Download this .esm, move to your Data directory, and check it on in FOMM. Make a merged patch, as you should be doing already. Merged patches are your friends!

Upgrading from a previous version: Just overwrite the existing GtabsImprovedAmmoMasterTFR.esm It shouldn't gently caress with anything, but please take any necessary precautions just in case.

Coming Soon: Lombard Station - Gtab.esp, which will update the crafting and sorting scripts to work with GtabsImprovedAmmoMasterTFR.esm (This file!) FYI: Be prepared to clear out Lombard Station before using this. So far it has cleared out containers on me, but that may have been a side effect of editing the file directly, since I updated Lombard Station.esp to set up the groundwork for future mods. I won't gently caress around with Lombard Station very much at all, just modify scripts to work some compatibility with mods, but some changes have been necessary, but again, just to scripts.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 15, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Thanks, might have a look when I get my PC back.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Trustworthy posted:

Re: my Powered Power Armor issues... I just ran across a suit of Vault-Tec power armor in Vault 11. I do like the look of that armor a lot, but was a bit perplexed since I don't currently have the mod installed. Checked TESEdit; I didn't realize the Project Nevada Equipment module added so much in the power armor department. The weird thing was that this was the most functional (PPA-wise) armor I've tried; it actually consumes power and shuts down when empty, with the appropriate weight bonuses and penalties. None of the temperature stuff works, though. So weird. Thus far, my tests with vanilla power armor have resulted in either no PPA features being activated, or just the on/off voice alerts along with the Pip-boy HUD icon. *sigh* The detective-ing continues...

Powered Power Armor seems like a very fun mod, but the guy who made it has a history of making cool mods but abandoning before they are really solid. I didn't check if he updated but I highly doubt it. The version I played some months ago caused also a bunch of crashes by adding stupid looking power armors to legion guys via script. Even though it seems neat, I would recommend against using it. It also isn't very well in-balance.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Police Automaton posted:

Powered Power Armor seems like a very fun mod, but the guy who made it has a history of making cool mods but abandoning before they are really solid. I didn't check if he updated but I highly doubt it. The version I played some months ago caused also a bunch of crashes by adding stupid looking power armors to legion guys via script. Even though it seems neat, I would recommend against using it. It also isn't very well in-balance.

Yeah, he hasn't touched the thing in forever. But Project Nevada and uHUD both suggest compatibility, so I was hoping for the best.

I totally agree about the stupid-looking composite armor on Centurions. That "feature" was already included when I was successfully using the mod last April, and this time around literally the very first thing I did after downloading was crack open NVEdit and put a stop to that dumb lore-trampling horseshit.

SpookyLizard posted:

A bunch of poo poo. Let me dig up the last post I made with it in it.

Hey that file is set to private. :(

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
DFB Random Encounters is so good. I am right before Novac and ran across a Legion/NCR firefight. Helped take out both sides, thanks to sneaking frag grenades into an NPC on each side.

Cirosan, I am wondering what is involved with converting a non-CCO/Vanilla companion to CCO stats/AI? I'm guessing more than just a few minutes in the GECK, but I really want to make the Sunny Smiles companion CCO compatible/balanced.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Trustworthy posted:

Yeah, he hasn't touched the thing in forever. But Project Nevada and uHUD both suggest compatibility, so I was hoping for the best.

I totally agree about the stupid-looking composite armor on Centurions. That "feature" was already included when I was successfully using the mod last April, and this time around literally the very first thing I did after downloading was crack open NVEdit and put a stop to that dumb lore-trampling horseshit.

Hey that file is set to private. :(

Check the link in the OP. It will have the most recent version.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
Does anybody know if there are any decent armor retexture mods? Something like Arenovalis but for armor?

In another topic, I really recommend Robco certified. I really like the ideas and wish the author could retexture the robots a bit to give them a more uniform style. At least the robots, junkbots are supposed to look patchwork. I'm having a blast setting up robot defense forces for the different towns. Sloan is currently defended by a small army of Protectrons with ripperhands and the shotgun laser eye upgrade. Goodsprings is being defended by a brace of Mister Handies, Gutsies and Orderlies.

I can offer the following tips:

Try nudging down your charisma so that you have to choose between companions and robots. Companions and robots is really overpowered and don't work very well together.

I don't know if its a bug but Securitrons MKII go hostile if you tell them to wait or guard. If you want to put them away harmlessly, pack them. Also they seem to default to shoulder missiles so if you want them to use their laser RCWs, you need to restrict them to that weapon. Their 9mm and grenade launcher aren't used at that level either.

Robobrains can wield some two handed rifles, though they'll wield them one-handed. Wish they would use both hands like in Fallout 2.

Hoard miniguns, laser rcws, missile launchers, plasma rifles and grenade launchers. Some upgrade recipes require those weapons.

When you get to Repconn HQ you might want to consider tripping the alarm so that you get attacked by Sentrybots, you'll get at least 15 Sentries that you can repair so you don't have to suffer like me trying to get miniguns to build them.

Robots are not affected by companion restrictions so they'll travel with you to DLC locations and completely murder the gently caress out of everything there. I'm currently trailblazing Honest Hearts with a Multibot MKII with an automatic plasma cannon and a flamer plus a safebot to carry my poo poo. If you are stickler for balance, either don't take robots or control yourselves and carry only junkbots or lite robots.

You won't be able to build your robots from scratch until you reach Cerulean Robotics in Freeside. Robco certifieds will have to repair robots you have destroyed or buy broken or packed ones from vendors.

Make sure you decide which discipline you want. If you are not using the Fear the Reaper perk, you will most likely not get enough perks to cover all the disciplines until endgame, but be advised that if you want the best robots, you need to take the junkbots skill AND the robot skill to max level (takes about 5 perks).

The techs are basically: Robco Certified (builds and repairs basic robots like Mr. Handies, Sentries, Securitrons, etc. 3 perks to master), Crazed Inventor (builds junk bots which require a scenery object like a safe or coffee machine and can build hoverbots/scuttlebots using robot spare parts if you don't have any junk bot components available. 2 perks to master) and Mad Scientists (can build Lobotomites, Cyberroaches and Cyberdogs. 2 perks to master).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

DFB Random Encounters is so good. I am right before Novac and ran across a Legion/NCR firefight. Helped take out both sides, thanks to sneaking frag grenades into an NPC on each side.
That was either a vanilla encounter or something from another mod. DFB doesn't include Legion & NCR.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

TerryLennox posted:

Does anybody know if there are any decent armor retexture mods? Something like Arenovalis but for armor?

The BornAgain packs do higher res retex jobs on combat and power armors, but makes them drastically darker in color as well.
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/searchresults/

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Cirosan, I am wondering what is involved with converting a non-CCO/Vanilla companion to CCO stats/AI? I'm guessing more than just a few minutes in the GECK, but I really want to make the Sunny Smiles companion CCO compatible/balanced.
Good question. It largely depends on how the mod is made. If it mostly complies with the base game's design and doesn't have any overwhelmingly awful design decisions, then about a half-hour, tops. The only big problems I run into is if the mod author did something really stupid. For instance, a lot of people wanted a patch for the Willow mod, but that couldn't happen because, as I was told, if you fired her she would stay pissed off at you forever or something. Recalling that companions need to be fired once for CCO's scripts to take effect (along with the fact that sometimes you just don't want them along for whatever reason), this was a huge roadblock. This was only one of many problems that made that mod too much trouble for me to bother with.

I haven't used the Sunny Smiles mod. Assuming it doesn't having any similar appallingly bad decisions, it wouldn't take too much work.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
You can already interact with Sunny Smiles entire inventory in that mod so thats one less thing to have to do I guess.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

TerryLennox posted:

RobCo Certified with CCO
I'd heard of this mod before, but I've never thought about how it would interact with CCO. From what you've written, it sounds like the two mods have the potential to make for some really interesting and fun gameplay with the right compatibility tweaks. Perhaps a patch for RobCo Certified and CCO's Follower Tweaks could help even out the gameplay, or at least a similar compatibility patch of some variety.

Could you post some more detail about how RobCo Certified plays and how it interacts (or doesn't) with CCO? For anyone else who's played with RobCo Certified, I'd love to hear your perspectives too.

Frankly, I'm intrigued. From what you've written and from what I know there's a lot of potential for RobCo Certified together with CCO to make for some very, very fun gameplay.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Cirosan posted:

Good question. It largely depends on how the mod is made. If it mostly complies with the base game's design and doesn't have any overwhelmingly awful design decisions, then about a half-hour, tops. The only big problems I run into is if the mod author did something really stupid. For instance, a lot of people wanted a patch for the Willow mod, but that couldn't happen because, as I was told, if you fired her she would stay pissed off at you forever or something. Recalling that companions need to be fired once for CCO's scripts to take effect (along with the fact that sometimes you just don't want them along for whatever reason), this was a huge roadblock. This was only one of many problems that made that mod too much trouble for me to bother with.

I haven't used the Sunny Smiles mod. Assuming it doesn't having any similar appallingly bad decisions, it wouldn't take too much work.

I like the Sunny mod because it's simple and there's no extraneous and/or creepy bullshit (Willow, ughhhh). If you consider making a CCO compatibility patch, put me down as another player who would use it and be grateful.

HOWEVER, if you do ever make one for her, would you also consider doing one for the Melissa (the drug-running Khan) companion? IIRC it's made by the same author, and it's just as good/simple/non-bullshitty/non-creepy. She's currently an integral part of my unlikely Melissa/Boone sniper death squad. Although there would be one small extra complication/hassle... unlike Sunny, she does currently have an invisible weapon (and it includes some kind of script to put a weapon mod in her inventory and have her automatically attach it, which I'd happily live with or without).

No pressure (not that you'd be swayed by pressure anyway), but thanks in advance for considering it. :)

edit: (Or thanks for considering just writing a how-to guide.)

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 15, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cirosan posted:

Companions :toot:

Would you be willing to make a tutorial for bringing poo poo in line with CCO?

I basically want to use these companions with CCO, but tested for a bit and they wreck everything because they aren't balanced like the vanilla ones:

Sunny Smiles
Marcus
Melissa Lewis (who is actually quite well done!

I think I'm actually going to try cutting my teeth on making a few companions like the above, or your own Ulysses. I like the idea of a companion that is built around existing in-game dialog and fits in with the game - I don't need a digital romance girlfriend like Willow.

Trustworthy posted:

edit: (Or thanks for considering just writing a how-to guide.)

I did find this - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45278 but it wouldn't cover the balancing aspect for CCO.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Gyshall posted:

I think I'm actually going to try cutting my teeth on making a few companions like the above, or your own Ulysses. I like the idea of a companion that is built around existing in-game dialog and fits in with the game - I don't need a digital romance girlfriend like Willow.

"Excuse me Gyshall but I don't need Willow, she needs me. Mods please delete this garbage???" --Nexus User #149182

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Hey folks, tell me about the FN FAL Rifle mod. I would kind of like it, but I prefer weapon mods when they just add the weapon and it looks like this one has some extras. Also, I can't just download and install it for myself just this minute anyway because the PC with New Vegas on it is being repaired. Thanks

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Would you be willing to make a tutorial for bringing poo poo in line with CCO?

I basically want to use these companions with CCO, but tested for a bit and they wreck everything because they aren't balanced like the vanilla ones:

Sunny Smiles
Marcus
Melissa Lewis (who is actually quite well done!

Someone did a improved version of sunny smiles. I'm not sure how uch of a improvement though, I've never loaded them up side by side.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Hey folks, tell me about the FN FAL Rifle mod. I would kind of like it, but I prefer weapon mods when they just add the weapon and it looks like this one has some extras. Also, I can't just download and install it for myself just this minute anyway because the PC with New Vegas on it is being repaired. Thanks

Yeah it has a bit of extra around it with that all the weapons are available at an underground market inside an abandoned house near New Vegas. It didn't seem so bad when I tried it even if it made getting them a little bit tedious.
Never used them that much either since I just got stuck with what the game had and an M4A1 RIS addon I found on Nexus.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Someone did a improved version of sunny smiles. I'm not sure how uch of a improvement though, I've never loaded them up side by side.

quote:

By request this version has the custom outfit removed. No bouncing boob skeletons required. The authors of both the original and the improved addons gave broad permission for anyone to modify their files.

Grabbing this, then. :nexus:

e: I think once I get bored in my current playthrough I really am going to try that No-bark companion. Need to figure out hilarious things to splice his dialog into.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 16, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cirosan posted:

(In my opinion) the companion mods in the OP are there for this very reason: They're very friendly to the base game--usually using entirely vanilla assets--and don't take any weird liberties with the game, like adding new towns or equipment to the leveled lists.

Gyshall posted:

Grabbing this, then. :nexus:

e: I think once I get bored in my current playthrough I really am going to try that No-bark companion. Need to figure out hilarious things to splice his dialog into.

Yes. Yes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Come to think of it, a recruitable faction member of each faction wouldn't be a horrible thing, depending on how much work that would be. The bitch, I'm sure, is splicing the dialog together.

I remember the best companion mods in Fallout 3 were the ones that did just that. Even the Melissa Lewis NV one is great - she comments on little things around the Wasteland, which is exactly what makes it a good companion mod, even if it doesn't have a quest on par with the vanilla companions.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I was just running through New Vegas again and I was thinking deputy beagle would make a good companion. there's already a rudimentary companion system in there if you recruit him to help you take down the convicts, he just needs a companion wheel.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

I see no issue with making those patches, especially since they require so little work. However, I'll type up a very brief tutorial right here anyway. Not much detail, but enough if you're familiar with the GECK.

1. Create a new perk and make it non-playable and hidden. Give it a custom ID, i.e. CCOCustomCompanionPerk. Give it two entry points: Calculate Weapon Damage and Calculate Target DT. Both of the entry points should be set to multiplying their respective values by 0.50 - halving them, in other words.
2. Place a condition on each entry point. The condition should be GetIsID and should check if the subject is the NPC in question. If I was making a perk for Boone, the condition would read GetIsID CraigBoone == 1
3. Create a new actor effect, and make it an ability. Give it a custom ID, i.e. CCOCustomCompanionAE. The actor effect should have four entries: Increase Damage Resistance by 50, Reduce Carry Weight by 75, Poison Resistance 100%, and Water Breathing.
4. Make a new quest and give it a custom ID, i.e. CCOCustomCompanionQuest. Give it a priority of 5 and have it be enabled at the start of the game (top checkbox). Attach a quest script to it. The quest script should look something like:
code:
scn CCOCustomCompanionQuestScript

begin gamemode

if WhateverTheHiringVariableForTheCompanionIs == 1
   player.addPerk CCOCustomCompanionPerk 1
endif

if WhateverTheHiringVariableForTheCompanionIs == 1 && CustomCompanionREF.isSpellTarget CCOCustomCompanionAE == 0
   CustomCompanionREF.addSpell CCOCustomCompanionAE
endif

if WhateverTheHiringVariableForTheCompanionIs == 0 && CustomCompanionREF.isSpellTarget CCOCustomCompanionAE == 1
   CustomCompanionREF.dispel CCOCustomCompanionAE
endif

end
5. Handle all nonsense with magical weapons and tie them to CCO's compatibility token. How to do this varies on the mod, so I can't give specifics. Essentially though, you just check to see if they have the magical weapons in their inventory in a quest script, and remove them. Then add normal variants with ammo, but only once (use a doOnce).
6. Go through all the hiring and firing topics for the follower and change them to point to CCO's variables. Specifically, delete all all entries related to the quest variable VNPCFollowers.HumanoidInParty and VNPCFollowers.CritterInParty. For hiring topics, change the quest variable to point to CCOCharismaLimit.roomInParty and check to see if it equals one. For hiring topics where you're turned down for having too many people, check the same variable, but have it check to see if it equals zero instead of one. The roomInParty variable controls exactly what it says - it tells the game if you have any more room for followers, one being yes, zero being no. No other input from you is needed, because the charisma formula is that yields the roomInParty value is calculated independently.

And I'm sorry, but which version of the Sunny Smiles mod do you want a patch for? You all just discovered there were two.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you're going to work on a companion, seriously just rip off all the features the Gilbert companion has wholesale.

The only thing it's missing that was really awesome is this thing one of the FO3 companions had, where you could hand over loot to go sell mid-dungeon and he'd run off to the various settlements (hopefully not dying on the way) and trade off all the spare guns and Talon Company armor you'd picked up. Then, go on a shopping trip to get more stimpacks and ammo and whatever else you needed, and meet up with you after some amount of real time.

That was awesome and really made it like you had a buddy out there to help you out, and saved some quicktravel tedium/immersion breaking. That companion could also hire additional companions, low-level mercs for protection. Or be allowed to buy ammo for his own guns.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A couple of things.

One, the expansion radio stations in the OP are amazing, especially the patriotic one.

Two, the monster mod appears to be a victim of nexus politics and doesn't really exist at the moment, at least there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Chronojam posted:

If you're going to work on a companion, seriously just rip off all the features the Gilbert companion has wholesale.

Wendy Gilbert Companion description posted:

Wendy's Clothing System
1. Wendy has a set of seven 'drawers' for clothing. Five drawers are general purpose, one is for swimwear, one is for sleepwear.
2. Access these drawers through Wendy's dialog, or the night-stand next to the bed in her home.
3. Ask her to switch outfits in dialog.
4. There are some options relating to when she should automatically switch to swimwear and sleepwear.
surely you don't mean all the features :ohdear:

Seriously though, I don't mean to be overly critical. I read the rest of it and I like the idea of a companion whose skills you can develop personally and has way more detailed and varied interactions with the gameworld.

But just once can we please have an ambitious companion mod that doesn't include some creepy virtual dress-up poo poo?