Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Trier posted:

I realize this is probably far too broad, and I apologize in advance for that, but I'm pining for some modern British movies after having watched Attack The Block.

Anything set in post-2000 Britain that isn't in the countryside goes. Bonus points if it's about crime or youth culture, but not a must.

vvvv TV shows are also good, Thanks.
My favorite British crime film is Layer Cake, and it stars Daniel Craig in the role that secured Bond for him! I think you'd dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Trier posted:

I realize this is probably far too broad, and I apologize in advance for that, but I'm pining for some modern British movies after having watched Attack The Block.

Anything set in post-2000 Britain that isn't in the countryside goes. Bonus points if it's about crime or youth culture, but not a must.

Eden Lake is a british horror movie about crime and youth culture. It has the weird honor of being the only horror movie that has made me feel unsettled for hours after watching it.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Trier posted:

Already a lot of the best stuff has been suggested but might I add, re. crime films: Sexy Beast, Dead Man's Shoes, Sweet Sixteen, Red Road, Layer Cake, Dirty Pretty Things, Kill List. Naked and Neds don't quite fit your setting timeframe but personally I think they're both too good to not mention and are modern in sensibility. Also if you want like smart grounded laugh-track-free type British comedy then Peep Show and The Thick Of It are two of the better contemporary efforts.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 14, 2013

JordanFreeman
Jan 14, 2013

I like to play videogames.
I'm trying to take Japanese Cinema more seriously outside of Anime, Tokusatsu, Samurai and Sonny Chiba action films. I understand the "Noriko Trilogy" by Yasujiro Ozu is a great place to start, but where exactly do I go from there? Time of release and genre (Ignoring the aforementioned genres) is no factor, though for the sake of making this request less broad I do have a soft spot for character-driven stories.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've been tasked with finding feel-good action/comedy movies. Red and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang were successful. Martial arts movies or anything with really graphic violence are probably not OK, unfortunately. Any suggestions?

Edit: Man, this request seems generic. Sorry if it's really obvious, I mostly watch horror/thriller flicks and I'm terrible at choosing family friendly stuff.

It might also be worth checking into Grosse Pointe Blank which is an action movie layered ontop of a reunion with a solid cast. I don't know about its reputation around here but I really enjoyed Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which is an action movie layered on a relationship movie. Both of them are violent for certain but no gore and only clothed sexuality so you can show it to gram gram if she wants to get her gun on.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

JordanFreeman posted:

I'm trying to take Japanese Cinema more seriously outside of Anime, Tokusatsu, Samurai and Sonny Chiba action films. I understand the "Noriko Trilogy" by Yasujiro Ozu is a great place to start, but where exactly do I go from there? Time of release and genre (Ignoring the aforementioned genres) is no factor, though for the sake of making this request less broad I do have a soft spot for character-driven stories.
The most obvious answer would be Akira Kurosawa. If you're looking for non-samurai Kurosawa films I'd go with High and Low and The Bad Sleep Well for starters. I'm also a huge fan of Takeshi Kitano and I would suggest watching Sonatine first to see if you enjoy his style. And if you don't mind samurai recs, Harakiri is one of the best I've ever seen and it doesn't seem to get talked about enough.

Jeff Wiiver fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 15, 2013

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I watched Before the Devil Kows you're Dead last night. I was wondering if there's a term for a movie where there's some type of illegal plan or heist that ends up negatively effecting nearly the whole cast. I guess you could call it a decontruction of the heist genre.

I was wondering if anyone has any more examples of this. I've seen:

Gone Baby Gone
A Simple Plan
The Killing

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think City of Industry with Harvey Keitel would match up with that list. Although I suppose you could make an argument for Reservoir Dogs but that's a little off the path but would still work, maybe Heat too.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ego-bot posted:

I watched Before the Devil Kows you're Dead last night. I was wondering if there's a term for a movie where there's some type of illegal plan or heist that ends up negatively effecting nearly the whole cast. I guess you could call it a decontruction of the heist genre.

Gone Baby Gone
A Simple Plan
The Killing

Man I think pretty much every other Coen Brothers film would qualify, but mostly No Country For Old Men, Blood Simple, and The Man Who Wasn't There. Also Reservoir Dogs but I imagine you've seen it. There's also Dog Day Afternoon and The General (1998 John Boorman film about a notorious Irish professional criminal / thief who had actually robbed Boorman himself), maybe not quite what you're looking for but they both involve the actions of the protagonists taking their toll on themselves, their friends and loved ones, and interestingly to me at least, the cops assigned to take them down who aren't looking for a bloody resolution to things.

EDIT: I should also mention Blue Collar, which is from Paul Schrader, of writing Taxi Driver fame.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 15, 2013

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Ego-bot posted:

Gone Baby Gone
A Simple Plan
The Killing

There is also The Kill Point which is an 8 part mini series, and I think it is still on Netflix. It owns.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Ego-bot posted:

Gone Baby Gone
A Simple Plan
The Killing

Things to do in Denver When You're Dead

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ego-bot posted:

Gone Baby Gone
A Simple Plan
The Killing

Way of the Gun, probably my favorite example of this type of movie.
Heat
Asphalt Jungle
Reservoir Dogs
and many of the films of Jean-Pierre Melville, including Le Samourai and Le Cercle Rouge

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Ego-bot posted:

I thought it was kind of like a Greek Tragedy, in a way.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm looking for some new movies to watch. I enjoy movies that present another world than ours, so dystopian, sci-fi, fantasy, superhero, (military) action, post apocalypse, etc.

Don't mind if the movie is a bit silly. Prime example of a movie I like to watch is Starship Troopers (the first one, the second is best forgotten, 3rd is plain and boring).
It has the dystopian, sci-fi, military action traits in a different world. Only lacking in the superhero department

Other examples would be The Matrix, Alien(s), Equilibrium, Book Of Eli, Red (semi superhero genre), Reign Of Fire, Children Of Men, Zombie movies, etc.

Obviously, a lot of movies fall under the above category and I've already seen a lot of them, hope that isn't a problem.
But any suggestions are welcome, I've probably seen most of them though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kalenden posted:

I'm looking for some new movies to watch. I enjoy movies that present another world than ours, so dystopian, sci-fi, fantasy, superhero, (military) action, post apocalypse, etc.

Don't mind if the movie is a bit silly. Prime example of a movie I like to watch is Starship Troopers (the first one, the second is best forgotten, 3rd is plain and boring).
It has the dystopian, sci-fi, military action traits in a different world. Only lacking in the superhero department

Other examples would be The Matrix, Alien(s), Equilibrium, Book Of Eli, Red (semi superhero genre), Reign Of Fire, Children Of Men, Zombie movies, etc.

Obviously, a lot of movies fall under the above category and I've already seen a lot of them, hope that isn't a problem.
But any suggestions are welcome, I've probably seen most of them though.

Brazil, Nineteen Eighty-Four, Dark City.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Guys, help me out on this one - where do I start with Fellini? I haven't seen a single film by him yet. I was thinking about starting with but I read somewhere, that it's not really a good starting point. Any suggestions?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Red Garland posted:

Guys, help me out on this one - where do I start with Fellini? I haven't seen a single film by him yet. I was thinking about starting with but I read somewhere, that it's not really a good starting point. Any suggestions?

That's the only one I've seen, and I liked it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Red Garland posted:

I started with La Dolce Vita and that was fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much if 8 1/2 is the easiest to get your hands on.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The only reason 8 1/2 wouldn't be a good starting point is that it's so good whatever you watch next might be a disappointment, but I wouldn't really worry about it. It's a great film, don't hesitate to watch it.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
I heard somewhere, that 8 and a half is much more pleasant to watch once you get accostumed to Fellini's style - you get more out of it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

8 1/2 was the first one I watched and I adored it, but if you're concerned, maybe try La Strada or La Dolce Vita first?

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013

penismightier posted:

8 1/2 was the first one I watched and I adored it, but if you're concerned, maybe try La Strada or La Dolce Vita first?
Now that I think of it, I guess I could always return to it if I like Felini enough to watch more. So Ii'll start with 8.

Another question - same one but this time with Jean Luc Godart, please.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Red Garland posted:

Now that I think of it, I guess I could always return to it if I like Felini enough to watch more. So Ii'll start with 8.

I think most people would point you towards Breathless. Another boring answer, but still.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Okay, that's where I'll start then. Thanks very much.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Red Garland posted:

I would urge you instead to start with La Strada, it's a lot more fun and less heavy than 8 1/2. If I cannot persuade you then I would urge you to watch both to get more of an understanding of the director's range.

As for Godard, Breathless is the obvious starting point and then work your way chronologically through his 60's output.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
I'm after films that fairly accurately portray life in the 1890s (any social class, any nation). I'm not too fussed about how good the film is in general, for example, I read that The Time Machine (2002) is a pretty shabby film, but shows 1890s New York pretty well, so that's already on the list.

I'm particularly interested in Britain and it's colonies/conquered territories, but like I said, any nation is good.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Project1 posted:

I'm after films that fairly accurately portray life in the 1890s (any social class, any nation). I'm not too fussed about how good the film is in general, for example, I read that The Time Machine (2002) is a pretty shabby film, but shows 1890s New York pretty well, so that's already on the list.

I'm particularly interested in Britain and it's colonies/conquered territories, but like I said, any nation is good.

Does it have to be specifically set in the 1890s? Something like Zulu falls just outside of your range (1879), but hits most of your other bases.

The only movie I could think of that specifically takes place in the 1890s is Heaven's Gate, which has a bit of a mixed reputation.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

morestuff posted:

Does it have to be specifically set in the 1890s? Something like Zulu falls just outside of your range (1879), but hits most of your other bases.

The only movie I could think of that specifically takes place in the 1890s is Heaven's Gate, which has a bit of a mixed reputation.

Not specifically the 1890s, as long as it's more or less the same cultural period. So if you have more that are close, go ahead and post them, the more the better. I'll have a look at those two, though, thanks.

EDIT: I should note that I'm also not too bothered by historical accuracy, only cultural/lifestyle accuracy.

Project1 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 21, 2013

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Prestige is primarily set in London at the end of the 1890s.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Anything with Sherlock Holmes or Jack the Ripper.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
The Great Train Robbery - 1978 version. It's based on a Crichton book that has great descriptions of life in that era, or a few decades before it - according to IMDB it takes place in 1855. I've never seen the movie myself but hey, Sean Connery.

In fact you may want to also grab the book because it's my favorite Crichton work and generally forgotten. Little criminal chimney sweeps, teenage prostitutes, pressing keys into wax, Chubb safes, etc.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Supreme Allah posted:

The Great Train Robbery - 1978 version. It's based on a Crichton book that has great descriptions of life in that era, or a few decades before it - according to IMDB it takes place in 1855. I've never seen the movie myself but hey, Sean Connery.
While the film moves at a brisk pace and therefore doesn't really linger on stuff like class differences or a lot of social issues, it certainly has the look and atmosphere of that kind of era.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Supreme Allah posted:

In fact you may want to also grab the book because it's my favorite Crichton work and generally forgotten. Little criminal chimney sweeps, teenage prostitutes, pressing keys into wax, Chubb safes, etc.

Seconding the book recommendation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Project1 posted:

Not specifically the 1890s, as long as it's more or less the same cultural period. So if you have more that are close, go ahead and post them, the more the better. I'll have a look at those two, though, thanks.

EDIT: I should note that I'm also not too bothered by historical accuracy, only cultural/lifestyle accuracy.

The TV Show Deadwood is set in South Dakota in the 1870's. I think it's a pretty accurate portrayal of the socio-political realities.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Project1 posted:

Orson Welles's The Magnificent Ambersons.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Thank you, there's some excellent suggestions here. I'm especially interested by The Prestige and The First Great Train Robbery. But I'll definitely give all of them a look. I also came across this as a result.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm looking to show my friends some body horror movies and I was wondering if you goons could recommend me some good ones? I've got Cronenberg's stuff but I'd like a wider variety since they just saw The Human Centipede 2 and thought it was amazing. I believe they want so see some "brutal body horror" as it was relayed to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ramadu posted:

I'm looking to show my friends some body horror movies and I was wondering if you goons could recommend me some good ones? I've got Cronenberg's stuff but I'd like a wider variety since they just saw The Human Centipede 2 and thought it was amazing. I believe they want so see some "brutal body horror" as it was relayed to me.

Show them Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Watch Tetsuo: The Iron Man right now.

edit: hah, beaten. Tetsuo 2: Body Hammer is also worth a watch. I also liked Altered States a whole lot.

A human heart fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Wow how did I forget that. I've seen that and it was mind blowing, that whole drill penis part was amazing.

• Locked thread