Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lord Tywin posted:

Were there any significant difference if you lived under a nobleman or on land ruled by a Prince-Bishop?
Not really. In the 17 and 1800s, Prince-Bishops were stereotypically stuck in the mud and resistant to change (I have no idea how true that stereotype was), but in this period I am not aware of any differences.

The real differences for the life of the common individual come in if you are an inhabitant of a city or not, and then further if you are a citizen. If you live in a city (which may or may not be an imperial free city; ie, a city state which has an unmediated relationship to the Emperor) and you are a citizen, you have the right to a say in your city's affairs, through your guild you have a voice in city meetings, you are also liable for the city's defense, and the rest of the city is obligated to support you if you fall on hard times. This is a very different kind of life from that of peasants.

EvanSchenck posted:

Speaking of 3,000 separate entities, can you discuss imperial knights a little bit? I think they're an interesting little detail in the structure of the Holy Roman Empire and I'm curious what somebody who specializes in the early modern period would have to say about them.
Like Farecoal said, imperial knights have an unmediated relationship to the Emperor, like Imperial Free Cities do. No other overlord. From the point of view of the Holy Roman Empire, it's like they're separate nations (I wouldn't use the word "nation," since it's anachronistic, but whatever). Legally, because of this immediate relationship, they are the equals of other rulers within the Imperial structure. However, unlike Imperial cities, they do not send representatives to the Diet. They were exempt from taxation and very often served military roles,

jonnypeh posted:

Looking for recommended history reading, preferably in the form of kindle e-books, as in something that can be found and bought on amazon.com.

Subject is not important, as long as the book is good. Come to think of it, medieval history would be interesting.

Good early modern military history includes:
  • Mallett's Mercenaries and their Masters, which is from the 70s but still really good.
  • Firearms, a Global History to 1700, by Kenneth Chase, which (in my opinion) is the definitive answer to the question of why the medieval Chinese did not intensively develop firearms, even though they invented gunpowder.
  • John Lynn's Women, Armies, and Warfare in Early Modern Europe, which details the role of women in the early modern mercenary army. Early modern soldiers went to war with their wives and girlfriends; since pay was often late or nonexistent, they supported themselves through plunder. Lynn theorizes that army women were the most common plunderers, and also kept the household finances for the couple, much like a civilian woman would have at the time.
  • Peter Wilson's The Thirty Years' War: Europe's Tragedy is the latest book on the Thirty Years' War, and it fits in with contemporary research which regards technological and tactical progress during this time less as a "revolution" and more as a complicated series of developments which include the retaining of older practices. These practices, such as pike squares, were denigrated by earlier historians, but Wilson points out that they were still very effective.
  • Speaking of which, check out Geoffrey Parker's The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road, which is a social history of the Spanish army during the war with the Netherlands. The popular notion is that Spain was backwards and doomed to fail. Not so: in their day they had the greatest army in Europe, and this is the story of the logistical support for that army. (They were far more on top of things than German countries, let me tell you.)
  • Wilson might be a more modern work of scholarship, but if you want a well-written account of the Thirty Years' War, your best bet is still Wedgewood. (Fun fact: women weren't allowed into British academic libraries unchaperoned, which means she had to fit the research for this thing into other peoples' schedules.) Some of the interpretations are very dated now; her conclusion that the war solved nothing and just basically sucked for no reason is very much a product of the British intellectual world immediately-pre-World War 2. But her character studies are great and her prose is very good. The Thirty Years' War is complicated and confusing; the best attempt at turning this intellectual goop into a plot is still hers.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I picked up a copy of Wilson's book, and it was misprinted. Something like pages 150-200 repeated where 200-250 should have been. A good book otherwise though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

I picked up a copy of Wilson's book, and it was misprinted. Something like pages 150-200 repeated where 200-250 should have been. A good book otherwise though.
Seriously? I hope you were able to get a refund or something. I'm just looking at my own right now, and it seems OK.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Seriously? I hope you were able to get a refund or something. I'm just looking at my own right now, and it seems OK.

By the time I noticed I was halfway across the country and in the middle of nowhere. And I bought it cheap, with a gift card, from a local independent bookstore. It was a pretty good read anyway. Seemed convincing, though I wasn't sure on how other scholars viewed it. You seem qualified and endorsed it though, so good enough for me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

Seemed convincing, though I wasn't sure on how other scholars viewed it. You seem qualified and endorsed it though, so good enough for me.
Yeah, it's the new landmark in the field and fits in with a lot of current developments in the scholarship, such as movement away from a simplistic notion of "progress" and a broader focus on global history (Wilson spends a lot of time talking about Eastern Europe and the Ottomans as well as just Germany).

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Rabhadh posted:

Allied tankers found it was a lot easier to fire their potato main guns on the move, there by ensuring the first hit in combat, which as we all know is all important.

Of course, Allied spud divisions were always imperiled in the field by German potato mashers.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Thanks, I'll check some of these out after I'm done with To Rule The Waves. Guess I'll have to order some actual books then (as in not e-books).

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Are there any recommended alternate history sites around? I've been having fun reading alternatehistory.com for a while but a lot of it is wanky nonsense and there doesn't seem to be much effort to make people provide sources for their theories. Is this just inherent to all alternate history everywhere?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Are there any recommended alternate history sites around? I've been having fun reading alternatehistory.com for a while but a lot of it is wanky nonsense and there doesn't seem to be much effort to make people provide sources for their theories. Is this just inherent to all alternate history everywhere?

http://groups.google.com/group/soc.history.what-if/topics?gvc=2

The quality has decreased noticeably over the years but you can still search for, and read, older topics. Anything pre 2002 tends to be well written and knowledgeable in my experience, for the most part.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.
Since there's now a specific WW2 thread, I propose that further discussion of that particular war take place in that thread instead, leaving this thread for non-WW2 military history.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528093

Considering maybe half the posts in this thread concern WW2 anyway, vastly overshadowing anything that didn't happen between 1939 and 1945, splitting WW2 discussion off might be a good idea.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Might be a good idea yeah.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm not sure if a generic WW2 thread will survive beyond the first "but Hitler had good ideas/communists were ultimately worse/in the end, Dresden and Hiroshima were just as bad as Holocaust/but I like the uniforms, that doesn't mean I'm a Nazi" shitstorm.

I... I just feel safer here :ohdear:

fake edit: I slipped on Freud and typed "feel safer heer" first :v:

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

On the other hand it might be preferable to quarantine that stuff in a thread of its own rather than having people come in here every 5 pages or so going I HEARD THE GARAND WON THE WAR FOR THE ALLIES

Blckdrgn
May 28, 2012
Eh, that thread looks like another Hitler circle jerk. I'll leave the actual history to this thread.

Speaking of: With the Persian Empire's massive army, what was the game plan as far as being able to feed that many people goes? Was it something akin to locust just sweeping over southern Europe?

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

What particular Persian Empire are you referring to, and more specifically, what army?

Blckdrgn
May 28, 2012

Alekanderu posted:

What particular Persian Empire are you referring to, and more specifically, what army?

:v:

Xerxes era. 400s BC

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Blckdrgn posted:

Speaking of: With the Persian Empire's massive army, what was the game plan as far as being able to feed that many people goes? Was it something akin to locust just sweeping over southern Europe?

Or to water them? Dry food is light enough to haul in the supply train but water is much heavier, and much more vital for marching soldiers. Even if the enemy doesn't poison or block all wells, delivering water to a huge army based on water sources that you *might* find among the trail would be a logistical nightmare.

Was that what the Persian fleet was there for, to haul food and water supplies?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

I'm not sure if a generic WW2 thread will survive beyond the first "but Hitler had good ideas/communists were ultimately worse/in the end, Dresden and Hiroshima were just as bad as Holocaust/but I like the uniforms, that doesn't mean I'm a Nazi" shitstorm.

I... I just feel safer here :ohdear:

fake edit: I slipped on Freud and typed "feel safer heer" first :v:

Ugh, yeah. What I saw of the WW2 specific thread was just...blurg. I couldn't bring myself to say anything, and I've published a paper on one Nazi.

Edit:

Blckdrgn posted:

Eh, that thread looks like another Hitler circle jerk.
Ooh, Hitler. Nothing says "talent" like repeatedly running your economy into a brick wall. Not enough depth of manufacturing capability, no replacements for key supplies? Tell me more. :rolleyes::fh:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 14, 2013

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

We can make it better.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

jonnypeh posted:

Thanks, I'll check some of these out after I'm done with To Rule The Waves. Guess I'll have to order some actual books then (as in not e-books).
Philip Contamine is also really good, if you want medieval stuff and are now committed to physical books.

Wedgewood is so well known that you should be able to find her works in ebook format, though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alekanderu posted:

We can make it better.

The abyss shall devour us.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

steinrokkan posted:

The abyss shall devour us.
When you look into the goon, man...

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blckdrgn posted:

:v:

Xerxes era. 400s BC
Xerxes had a massive fleet to supply his army. As soon as that naval supply was cut off (Salamis) Xerxes was forced to back off and leave only a small number of forces (well, small is a relative thing, the army was still oissibly tens of thousands strong) in the captured territories of the north. These were eventually defeated in the battle of Platea.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
The Guns of August is written very well.

quote:

With their relentless talent for the tactless, the Germans chose to violate Luxembourg at a place whose native and official name was Trois Vierges. The three virgins in fact represented faith, hope, and charity, but history with her opposite touch arranged for the occasion that they should stand in the public mind for Luxembourg, Belgium and France.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Mans posted:

Xerxes had a massive fleet to supply his army. As soon as that naval supply was cut off (Salamis) Xerxes was forced to back off and leave only a small number of forces (well, small is a relative thing, the army was still oissibly tens of thousands strong) in the captured territories of the north. These were eventually defeated in the battle of Platea.

Wasn't it really just a gigantic bridge built with ship bits? once the persian fleet protecting it was defeated at salamis they abandoned it. This same tactic was apparently used by the greeks to besiege a carthaginian or phoenician city if i recall, but instead of ships they literally moved earth to create a land bridge. Which was pretty crazy but i guess thats how you attack a strongpoint facing the sea :v:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Fizzil posted:

Wasn't it really just a gigantic bridge built with ship bits? once the persian fleet protecting it was defeated at salamis they abandoned it. This same tactic was apparently used by the greeks to besiege a carthaginian or phoenician city if i recall, but instead of ships they literally moved earth to create a land bridge. Which was pretty crazy but i guess thats how you attack a strongpoint facing the sea :v:

Are you thinking of Alexander at Tyre?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Are you thinking of Alexander at Tyre?

Pretty sure he's thinking of the bridge Xerxes built across Hellespont. But that was just used for the army to march across, it was destroyed by a storm after they crossed (and before they crossed, but they built another one then).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Do we really have people promoting the "1941 Soviet Offensive" theory in the WWII thread? :eng99:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fizzil posted:

Yeah, Darius built a bridge of boats across the Bosphorus during the Scythian campaign (which had to be dismantled post-haste once Darius and most (but not all) of the army was across to prevent the Scythians from following... Xerxes was the one that had his first bridge destroyed by a storm and responded by beheading the engineers and whipping the ocean into submission before building the second bridge (at least according to Herodotus). Basically they tied boats together with thick cables and then built a roadbed over the tops to march the army across.

Alexander built the land bridge to Tyre during his conquest of Persia.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do we really have people promoting the "1941 Soviet Offensive" theory in the WWII thread? :eng99:

You don't remember DasReich? Here's an exchange you had with him in this thread a while back, about how he didn't believe that Generalplan Ost was a real thing.

DasReich
Mar 5, 2010
For the record, what I meant was the dispositions in 1941 are ones traditionally associated with offensive action. I personally never believed the Red Army capable of serious offensive action until late 1942. The purges saw to that. The possibility I subscribe to is that they never were trained on any defense-in-depth doctrine.

Edit: As for Generalplan Ost, I learned something from this thread and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

DasReich fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 15, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

DasReich posted:

For the record, what I meant was the dispositions in 1941 are ones traditionally associated with offensive action.
Ooh lawdy.
Tl;dr, no.
Soviet troops were massed on the border because Stalin was wondering whether or not the Germans would attack him. (Ironically, when it happened he was caught completely by surprise and flipped out for about a week and a half.) The Nazis had been planning to invade Russia since summer 1940. The major concerns in the surviving documents do not include wondering whether or not Russia would invade Germany and hoping to get the jump on them. That was something Hitler put about after the invasion. It was also theorized by a writer named Suvorov in the 80s, in a terribad book which also claimed that Stalin financed Hitler and engineered the fall of the Weimar republic behind the scenes. Or...something.

Note that despite the ambiguity about what Soviet mobilization meant, even historians who propound something like Suvorov's thesis have not produced any documents giving the date of the alleged proposed Soviet attack. Compare that to the reams of material we have from the planning for Barbarossa.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 15, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IIRC Stalin was given a lot of evidence that the invasion would occur when it did, up to and including Churchill dropping some enigma-related tidbits about German divisions being relocated to the border.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Also, DasReich, you're one of the few people I've ever said this to, but I really hate your username.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

Ooh lawdy.
Tl;dr, no.
Soviet troops were massed on the border because Stalin was wondering whether or not the Germans would attack him. (Ironically, when it happened he was caught completely by surprise and flipped out for about a week and a half.) The Nazis had been planning to invade Russia since summer 1940. The major concerns in the surviving documents do not include wondering whether or not Russia would invade Germany and hoping to get the jump on them. That was something Hitler put about after the invasion. It was also theorized by a writer named Suvorov in the 80s, in a terribad book which also claimed that Stalin financed Hitler and engineered the fall of the Weimar republic behind the scenes. Or...something.

Note that despite the ambiguity about what Soviet mobilization meant, even historians who propound something like Suvorov's thesis have not produced any documents giving the date of the alleged proposed Soviet attack. Compare that to the reams of material we have from the planning for Barbarossa.

I thought that it was a foregone conclusion that the Soviets would eventually attack Germany in the short term, just a matter of when. This isn't to suggest that Hitler was forced to launch Barbarossa to defend himself against Soviet aggression but to acknowledge some realities regarding Stalin and longstanding Soviet/Russian territorial ambitions.

Also, regarding dates of proposed attacks from the wikipedia article you cited

quote:

Although the USSR attacked Finland, no documents found to date which would indicate November 26, 1939 as the previously assumed date for beginning of the provocations or November 30 as the date of the planned Soviet assault.

I'm clearly no expert on the topic so please dispense some knowledge.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

IIRC Stalin was given a lot of evidence that the invasion would occur when it did, up to and including Churchill dropping some enigma-related tidbits about German divisions being relocated to the border.

That evidence didn't trickle down at all, sadly. In a large number of memoirs I read, Soviet soldiers mention some kind of task that would reduce their fighting effectiveness the next day: hang the cloth machine gun belts to dry, remove the tank batteries for recharging, stuff like that. A lot of bases were ridiculously unprepared for an attack on that night.

Of course, a lot of the soldiers then mention that they were far too lazy to dry all the MG belts or remove all the batteries, which bought them a few precious hours.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It was my understanding that it was quite the opposite: Stalin made a deal/non-aggression pact with Hitler because he felt that Nazi Germany could serve as a bulwark against the Western Democracies that just did not like Communism. Russia was, after all, invaded by the UK and other Western nations during the Russian Civil War, and even as recently as the Winter War, Churchill was entertaining thoughts of sending men and materiel to Finland to help them fight off the Soviets.

As for the forward deployment of troops along the German-Soviet border, I think that was just function of Soviet offensively-minded doctrine at the time. That is, they weren't revving up to attack Germany, they just assumed that when the attack did come, the Red Army would immediately be able to counter-attack as a response - best defense is a good offense and all that. They did not posture themselves defensively because playing defense wasn't (or wasn't prominent) in their playbook.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
So in Vietnam, unexploded bomblets from cluster munitions were often used by the VC to make IED's out of.

With modern tanks and ERA armor, if a T72 was knocked out, could resourceful rebels use salvaged ERA panels to make weapons out of ?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was my understanding that it was quite the opposite: Stalin made a deal/non-aggression pact with Hitler because he felt that Nazi Germany could serve as a bulwark against the Western Democracies that just did not like Communism. Russia was, after all, invaded by the UK and other Western nations during the Russian Civil War, and even as recently as the Winter War, Churchill was entertaining thoughts of sending men and materiel to Finland to help them fight off the Soviets.

As for the forward deployment of troops along the German-Soviet border, I think that was just function of Soviet offensively-minded doctrine at the time. That is, they weren't revving up to attack Germany, they just assumed that when the attack did come, the Red Army would immediately be able to counter-attack as a response - best defense is a good offense and all that. They did not posture themselves defensively because playing defense wasn't (or wasn't prominent) in their playbook.

With Lenin, the defensive strategy was a two-parter: a strong line of fortifications stalls the enemy advance, while well organized teams of partisans assembled in advance would operate in the rear of the enemy and sap their supply lines, damage their communications, etc, eventually causing them to give out and withdraw.

With Stalin, the plans changed to a much more optimistic scenario of a rapid counter-attack, a rout of enemy forces, and a war fought mostly on enemy territory. A lot of the partisans, skilled in stealth and explosives, were imprisoned. With the border's movement, the fortifications that the border forces counted on were gone. The Red Army was left without a real defensive plan in 1941.

Edit: from what I've read, Stalin had no illusions about the impossibility of an eventual war with Germany, but did not expect it to be so soon. It would have been a very interesting war, considering that the problems with early T-34s would have been resolved, and T-34Ms and a new generation of heavy tank would be in production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Veins McGee posted:

I thought that it was a foregone conclusion that the Soviets would eventually attack Germany in the short term, just a matter of when. This isn't to suggest that Hitler was forced to launch Barbarossa to defend himself against Soviet aggression but to acknowledge some realities regarding Stalin and longstanding Soviet/Russian territorial ambitions.

Ideologically the two states were diametrically opposed and Hitler had often professed his aim to destroy communism as a political tendency, such as by founding the Anti-Comintern Pact that formed the basis of the later Axis bloc. He also made little secret of his desire to take seize massive territories that were part of the USSR. At the same time, however, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact stipulated a 10-year period of mutual non-aggression, and obligations on the part of the USSR to supply certain critical industrial resources, most importantly oil, to Germany. These supplies were essential to the smooth operation of German industry. Also, Great Britain remained unconquered on the other side of Germany. In addition to the British themselves, Hitler would have to manage the potential risk of American involvement, as FDR's administration was maneuvering slowly but deliberately to offer support to the British. Finally, on top of everything else, the USSR was itself a formidable enemy for Germany to take on and not something to rush into boldly.

For these reasons, from Stalin's perspective it would have seemed extremely foolish for Germany to attack the Soviet Union when it did. It's almost certain that he intended to cancel the non-aggression pact and attack at some point if Hitler did not do it first, but it probably would have been a matter of a few years. The Soviet military was retooling and expanding after the purges and the disastrous Winter War. Part of the reason the Soviets performed so poorly at the outset of Barbarossa was that they had only just begun this process, and it had only gone far enough to leave them organizationally dislocated. It would also have been wise to allow a respectful interval for the war with Britain and the occupation of Europe to sap Germany's military resources. The thesis that Stalin was poised to attack in the summer of 1941 is plainly wrong, but as counterfactual history one would suppose that within a few years later (1943, 1944, whatever) he would have done so when he judged he had the advantage.

As it happened, Barbarossa was too bold by far and ended very badly indeed for Germany, but it was launched when Germany's military strength was at the greatest advantage relative to the USSR. They had bottomed out and were beginning the process of building themselves up, and if Hitler had delayed it would only have been to his disadvantage. It's likely that the Nazis may have understood this at some level, and that's why they chose to take the gamble.

• Locked thread