Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

uapyro posted:

Same here. I've got a cell phone number I'd like to keep since I've had it for over 10 years now, but at the same time I've got an awesome GV number that ends in 0001; and my wife's in 0011.

I'm not opposed to just swapping numbers around either.

I'm guessing the easiest way is to wait for my contract to end and:
1. Port my Sprint number (the one I've had forever) to a second Google account.
2. Make a new line on my Sprint account and port in my GV number for that phone number

Right?

As long as you don't cancel Sprint, then you should be fine. From what I've read, you need to initiate the port from Google Voice and Google will take it over from there. Sprint doesn't even need to know what's going on and it's probably best you don't tell them anyway. If they close your account before it happens, you lose the number.

I just don't know what happens after the port is complete because no one's contacted me. It's kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

blargle posted:

I would also like to know what happens when you port your Sprint number into Google Voice. I'm still under contract but plan to pay off the ETF and go prepaid in a month or so.

If you just port without telling them Sprint assumes you are canceling and the line is cancelled. Any questions on getting a new number and retaining your account I would talk to retentions.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If you just port without telling them Sprint assumes you are canceling and the line is cancelled. Any questions on getting a new number and retaining your account I would talk to retentions.

Does it mean we don't owe an ETF or? Cause I've never been billed or anything. I assume they will eventually but is there a waiting period on that?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I had assumed Sprint would just issue me a new number, but Google's site says porting a number automatically cancels your service with your provider and may subject you to an ETF.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does it mean we don't owe an ETF or? Cause I've never been billed or anything. I assume they will eventually but is there a waiting period on that?

If you cancel without trying to stay with sprint there should be an ETF. If you haven't seen one, then you got lucky. Sometimes if you have 1-2 months left sprint will overlook it.

blargle posted:

I had assumed Sprint would just issue me a new number, but Google's site says porting a number automatically cancels your service with your provider and may subject you to an ETF.

This was an incorrect assumption, and googles site is correct.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
They finally let employees get an iPhone 5 on Friday so I'm on the LTE bandwagon now. I have an LTE tower right by my apartment so I get 4 or 5 bars at all times and its so loving fast! I love it.

I also got a chance to look at the tool the higher ups get to use to look at the actual LTE tower roll outs and locations and it was neat seeing all the information and the progress of network vision. Dallas is about 42% done. The major markets all together are only about 12% done lol. I'm pretty sure this is the tool the guy at S4GRU looks at to get his numbers.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Anyone else have the GNex act funny with things that should rotate?

All my front facing camera pics immediately get rotated 90 degrees.
Youtube won't pick up rotation and let me full screen video. Etc.

I'm non-rooted, running the stock sprint image.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Holy Lord do I hate my Evo3D now. What is everyone's estimation on how much better my signal will be if I get an iphone 5 or a Galaxy SIII? I work at a building with a metal roof, and get absolutely zero bars, and there is no option for me to install an airrave, so I was hoping that I could expect to get maybe one bar of signal with a phone upgrade.

Am I being unrealistically optimistic?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Given that I'm in a similar situation regarding work building and signal, and that my wife's iPhone 5 on Sprint always has at least one bar more / no actual problems maintaining a call, yes, any phone will probably be workable.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Wonderllama posted:

Holy Lord do I hate my Evo3D now. What is everyone's estimation on how much better my signal will be if I get an iphone 5 or a Galaxy SIII? I work at a building with a metal roof, and get absolutely zero bars, and there is no option for me to install an airrave, so I was hoping that I could expect to get maybe one bar of signal with a phone upgrade.

Am I being unrealistically optimistic?

Are you somewhere that has LTE coverage? Because the difference with that is night and day. Otherwise, the S3 does have better reception in general than the 3D, although I still deal with more frustrating dead spots than I'd prefer. But my overall experience with the S3 has been so much better than the 3D...

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
If you're already intergrated with Sprint with Google voice, do you need to deintegrate before you can port your number over?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

TLG James posted:

If you're already intergrated with Sprint with Google voice, do you need to deintegrate before you can port your number over?

Yes

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Anyone have issues with their handset just...not receiving text messages anymore? I can send them, and receive them through Google Voice, but not directly to my phone... It's not the Google Voice settings, it just stopped working in the last couple days.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have an EPRP Family plan with three lines on it. Will there be any problem if I go into a store and transfer one of those lines to someone else's account?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

I have an EPRP Family plan with three lines on it. Will there be any problem if I go into a store and transfer one of those lines to someone else's account?

Def go to a corporate store, otherwise it should be fine.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

FISHMANPET posted:

As an employee at a corporate store I would suggest you call care prior to coming in. Employee Care is pretty knowledgeable about what needs to be done with them and what can be done at the store.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I have SERO Premium, upgraded from my old SERO account early in 2012 when I got an EVO 4G on SA-Mart.

I got an iPhone from my parents for Christmas. I ordered it online using my upgrade eligibility and the $212 payment for the phone was made on my mother's credit card. I just received my bill and I don't really understand why it's so high.

What I don't understand is why it appears they have added the Previous Balance which should be the period ending Jan. 11th to the current charges, as well as what appears a charge ahead for the period ending Feb 11th.

My previous bill was paid Dec. 15th, and it was for the period ending Dec. 11th.

So...since I signed a new contract, I'm getting billed for December and pre-billed for January?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

So...since I signed a new contract, I'm getting billed for December and pre-billed for January?
Yeah. Exact same thing happened to me here.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

td4guy posted:

Yeah. Exact same thing happened to me here.
Ok, I'm fine with that. Do you remember if you got a bill the next month or if it's just billing you for the next month instead of the current month now?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I honestly don't remember. Sorry.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Sprint bills me for the upcoming month. I just paid my bill that came on the 3rd and covered 01/03-02/03.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
I got a Galaxy SII from someone else at my company a month or so ago. I factory reset it, upgraded it to ICS and I'm having unbelievably insane battery life problems even with a brand new battery. As far as I can tell, the CPU is just not going to sleep due to some Android OS process. I can feel it getting hot in my pocket!

Anyone have any ideas? I removed the weather widget from the start page since I've heard the Accuweather widget is awful for battery life.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El_Matarife fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 16, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

El_Matarife posted:

I got a Galaxy SII from someone else at my company a month or so ago. I factory reset it, upgraded it to ICS and I'm having unbelievably insane battery life problems even with a brand new battery. As far as I can tell, the CPU is just not going to sleep due to some Android OS process. I can feel it getting hot in my pocket!

Anyone have any ideas? I removed the weather widget from the start page since I've heard the Accuweather widget is awful for battery life.

Yeah, I haven't seem a fix yet for that unfortunately.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

El_Matarife posted:

Is that the normal signal you get? Weak WiFi/ cell signal? That could be causing battery problems too...

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I haven't seem a fix yet for that unfortunately.

I've been hearing it's a pretty common problem. I don't know if it's a bug or what. I'm considering another factory reset but I don't know if it will help.

Medullah posted:

Is that the normal signal you get? Weak WiFi/ cell signal? That could be causing battery problems too...

I would my signal is usually not great but the phone idle / cellular standby should be where "bad signal" battery life is reflected correct?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

El_Matarife posted:

I've been hearing it's a pretty common problem. I don't know if it's a bug or what. I'm considering another factory reset but I don't know if it will help.

I would my signal is usually not great but the phone idle / cellular standby should be where "bad signal" battery life is reflected correct?

That's a problem with some S II's, unfortunately. I don't know if they've found a solution for that besides getting it replaced. Take it to a service center.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Good news for those of you with a Galaxy Nexus:

http://www.androidcentral.com/42-update-sprint-galaxy-nexus-live-google-s-servers-ripe-picking

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

It would be good news if 4.2.x wasn't a piece of poo poo.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Don't do it 4.2 is garbage for all GNex, 4.2.1 is also garbage for all GNex. Reboots, bluetooth disconnects, screen randomly turning on from no action, hotpocket its like an OEM skinned device. Trust me stick with 4.1.2 until 4.2.2 is proved out. It's even worth rooting the GNex just to stop getting the annoying upgrade now messages.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Is it still possible to buy out contracts to get an early upgrade on SERO Premium? My wife's Evo 3D is making GBS threads the bed with a digitizer failure identical to the one mine has. I have a cheap replacement digitizer kit I haven't had time to install (small child, full time job), but if we can just throw some money at it and get new phones that would be ideal.

Although in an ideal world we could point out that the Evo 3Ds are pieces of junk and get an early upgrade gratis. Dare to dream.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Not sure why Jerry's calling it only 4.2, it's actually 4.2.1.

http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/samsung_proxima_toroplus_sprint/c5ea6e959840.update_mysidspr_FH05_to_GA02.zip

Still, I'd say wait and see if 4.2.2 is coming or not.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Loucks posted:

Is it still possible to buy out contracts to get an early upgrade on SERO Premium? My wife's Evo 3D is making GBS threads the bed with a digitizer failure identical to the one mine has. I have a cheap replacement digitizer kit I haven't had time to install (small child, full time job), but if we can just throw some money at it and get new phones that would be ideal.

Although in an ideal world we could point out that the Evo 3Ds are pieces of junk and get an early upgrade gratis. Dare to dream.
Give it a try. Everyone's results vary. With a failing EVO 3D, I think that ups your odds a little bit - would probably make the retentions person a bit more sympathetic.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Loucks posted:

You can give it a try. Alternative, you can take it into a tech center, at one point they were swapping 3Ds for the Evo LTE, which obviously is a great steal. So you can see if they are still doing that (I believe they were as of two days ago).

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Duckman2008 posted:

You can give it a try. Alternative, you can take it into a tech center, at one point they were swapping 3Ds for the Evo LTE, which obviously is a great steal. So you can see if they are still doing that (I believe they were as of two days ago).

Wow, that'd be nice. Just have to deroot the thing and it's worth a shot!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Looks like Sprint changed their mind on TEP for the iPhone.

Also, lol, it looks like Lake Havasu City and Kingman, AZ are getting LTE before Phoenix.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

td4guy posted:

Also, lol, it looks like Lake Havasu City and Kingman, AZ are getting LTE before Phoenix.

They are part of the Las Vegas market, that's why. The markets are generally anchored by the largest city, then stretch out roughly halfway toward the next largest city along the interstates, picking up any towns along the way. Anytime you see some Podunk town getting LTE first, it's always due to being part of a larger metro market on Sprint's map.

And here are your useless tower updates; hold onto your buttholes because its a big one:

Approximately 920 updated sites today in: Chicago (219), Boston (131), Kansas (94), Shentel (48), SF Bay (40), Atlanta/Athens (36), LA Metro (36), San Diego (30), DFW (29), Houston (27), Austin (24), New York City (18), Washington DC (18), Alabama (17), San Antonio (17), New Orleans (15), Nashville (13), Charlotte (12), Orlando (10), Riverside/San Bernardino (10), Upstate NY Central (8), Baltimore (7), Minnesota (6), Upstate NY East (6), Miami/West Palm (5), Tampa (5), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (3), Georgia (3), Memphis (3), Norfolk (3), Northern Jersey (3), South Carolina (3), West Michigan (3), Delaware (2), East Michigan (2), Jacksonville (2), Philadelphia Metro (2), Cleveland (1), Indianapolis (1), Long Island (1), Lower Central Valley (1), Northern Connecticut (1), Oregon/SW Washington (1), Raleigh/Durham (1), Southern Connecticut (1), VT/NH/ME (1).

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Ender.uNF posted:

West Michigan (3), East Michigan (2)

Wonder if that means Kalamazoo and Detroit.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

moolchaba posted:

Wonder if that means Kalamazoo and Detroit.

Michigan is literally divided down the middle into two markets for the whole state (the mainland part, the bumblefuck part that floated away is part of west).

Simulated fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 17, 2013

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Good to see they're keeping up the blistering pace of one tower per week or whatever the gently caress they feel like for the Raleigh Durham area. I swear I was in Philly for new years and I had a good tower near me, it was like owning a different phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Ender.uNF posted:

Michigan is literally divided down the middle into two markets for the whole state (the mainland part, the bumblefuck part that floated away is part of east).
Which is right, you or this map?