Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Just as another datapoint, I get that black bar on my non-jailbroken iPad 3 all the time. Can't seem to reliably reproduce it either, I've been trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Neena posted:

Just as another datapoint, I get that black bar on my non-jailbroken iPad 3 all the time. Can't seem to reliably reproduce it either, I've been trying.

Are you still on iOS 5? I know that people with iPad 1's and I think people with jailbroken iPad 3's must be, but what about you? I haven't seen this once on my iPad 3 on iOS 6.0.2.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Another chime-in, I used to get the black bar a lot on a jailbroken 2 on 5.1.1. It always seemed to be related to changing orientation before pulling up the bookmarks, but I can't do any more repro than that since I sold it off v:shobon:v

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

Diabolik900 posted:

Are you still on iOS 5? I know that people with iPad 1's and I think people with jailbroken iPad 3's must be, but what about you? I haven't seen this once on my iPad 3 on iOS 6.0.2.

Oh son of a bitch, I am. Keep forgetting to update. I'll do that when I get back home and try it then.

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

How feasible would it be to streamline loading a lot of unread posts at once?

To clarify - There was a "feature" in the older bugged version that I really liked - when there were smaller amounts of unread posts, they weren't limited by page length. I could get 20-40 new updates all on one page (or at least, I thought I did - there's what, 40 posts per page? Pretty rare to get a big bump of updates without hitting page-end on the way).

Which kind of makes two or three unread posts then a page load a little more annoying. Its not an issue when the posts are meaty, it's just kind of frustrating when the posts on a page are just a sentence or two.

Would it be possible to load and append the next page's unread posts when loading end-of-page posts? Something where if the overall content's height is smaller than the screen's size, append next page (assuming there are still unread posts to read). Put a divider or some kind of page marker to denote page location. Or if the last unread post shown is at the same height as pull to refresh, append next page?

If this is too hard to determine before all the posts load, could it be an automatic load in the background? or if height is just too tricky (for things like picture threads), something that's done when the post count is the 39th or 40th post on a page?

ZebraByNumbers fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 13, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I get what you're saying. It would be preferable to have that behaviour rather than the 'two small posts... reload'. Not sure how hard it'd be to implement or if it's possible at all though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Edit: Son of a bitch, it works all of a sudden now.

Red fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 13, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Yo Cryptic Edge email me about testing pokeyman@nolanw.ca

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ZebraByNumbers posted:

How feasible would it be to streamline loading a lot of unread posts at once?

I understand the annoyance. I have a hunch that it'd be a lot less annoying if we load pages faster. I think I'll try that first, and you can see if it helps?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I get what you're saying. It would be preferable to have that behaviour rather than the 'two small posts... reload'. Not sure how hard it'd be to implement or if it's possible at all though.

The problem, I would assume, is twofold:

1. You have one unread post on a page. You have to load the second page to figure out what's on the next page, which means the page load is taking (at least) twice as long as usual with no user interaction.

2. You now have a screen with one previous-page post and the rest of this-page's posts. So say, 1 + 10. You hit the end of the thread and scroll to reload. The way it appears to work right now is that when you refresh a page you just finished reading, it a. goes back and flips everything to the "you've read this" css, and b. appends any additional new posts to the bottom. With that one from the previous page it either means you have to:

1. Remove the post from the top of the page and have people confused about where it went, or
2. Reload the previous page in addition to the current one in case the person has edited the last post on the previous page.

And that's before the UX issue of having the concept of what a "page" is being different for people between the Awful app and their own web settings.

Now, all that having been said, what would be cool would be a transparent-to-the-user "infinite canvas" that removes everything from the interface 10 posts above where you are and constantly loads new ones 10 posts below, but that's a combination of :catdrugs: and :can: that's on par with my friend and I talking about making a cell-phone palantir.

ZebraByNumbers
Oct 26, 2009

^^^^
I am personally a huge fan of a pageless* and constant post-appending cycle (even if it's in chunks of 10, rather than a constant fetch - like scrolling through a twitter feed).

*as long as page changes are marked somewhere, so I can have a general idea of where I am in a thread, or where previously seen content was.

pokeyman posted:

I understand the annoyance. I have a hunch that it'd be a lot less annoying if we load pages faster. I think I'll try that first, and you can see if it helps?

Makes total sense.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokeyman posted:

Yo Cryptic Edge email me about testing pokeyman@nolanw.ca

Emailed you from a qwnt.org address :)

I'm up for testing for sure.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Pokeyman, I'm sure you have bigger fish to fry, but is there any way that you can update the app icon for non-retina screens? It looks pretty bad, especially near the top.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Can you post a screen of it? Just curious.

I made the icon in this template psd that had one action to save all the various sizes so its possibly it got spat out poorly.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

I made the icon in this template psd that had one action to save all the various sizes so its possibly it got spat out poorly.

Sure, this is a screenshot taken on my mini. Compare the icon to theo others I have on my home screen. It's really not a big deal to me at all but thought it'd be great for the awesome app to have an awesome icon too :)

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I'm getting the grey block menu thing too on my iPad only, it's intermittent. I need to keep an eye on when it's happening.

Running iOS 5.whateverthelastoneisbefore6.

TheMightyHandful fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 14, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I didn't realize how widespread the hosed sidebar was for people, or how popular iOs 5 still is for that matter. I'll try to fix it for the next version. Thanks for all the "me too"s, it's surprisingly helpful.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

unpurposed posted:

Sure, this is a screenshot taken on my mini. Compare the icon to theo others I have on my home screen. It's really not a big deal to me at all but thought it'd be great for the awesome app to have an awesome icon too :)

You converted your .png screenshot to a jpg so any fine detail you wanted to be noticed has been gobbled up by artifacting.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

I don't know if unpurposed is talking about the same thing, but I noticed a while ago that there is an extra 1px line at the top of the icon, as if all the masks were off just slightly in that PSD. I should take a look at it some time, but :effort:.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's most likely that my shape is off by one pixel. I'll look tonight I plan on fixing that and taking a stab at profile layouts.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

You converted your .png screenshot to a jpg so any fine detail you wanted to be noticed has been gobbled up by artifacting.

Sorry, I used the built in awful app image upload and didn't know it would do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

unpurposed posted:

Sorry, I used the built in awful app image upload and didn't know it would do that.

Well, the app is named Awful. :downsrim:

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Well, the app is named Awful. :downsrim:

Actually I'm not sure that it is the app, since I just uploaded straight to imgur. Either it's converting to png or iOS takes screenshots in jpeg.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Just wanted to pop in and say thank you to whoever got the awful app working again after the forums update. I had no idea I'd miss it so much! Nice to be back, so thanks.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Yeah, thanks! The forum is a huge pain in the rear end to read without the app. I'm really happy it works again!

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, in the limited 1.10 testing I've gotten in so far, no side of grey keeping the sidebar open. The rotate to change option function does not work, but I care little for that part :)

I'll get some better testing done tonight.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

unpurposed posted:

Actually I'm not sure that it is the app, since I just uploaded straight to imgur. Either it's converting to png or iOS takes screenshots in jpeg.

iOS definitely doesn't take screenshots in JPEG. Default on device, when I'm looking at it with Image Capture, is PNG for screenshots and JPEG for camera shots (of course).

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Imgur kind of sucks and does lame stuff like resizing and recompressing everything you upload to it. People should probably stop using it!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

Imgur kind of sucks and does lame stuff like resizing and recompressing everything you upload to it. People should probably stop using it!

Not everything, just files over 1MB. However, most retina sized screenshots are over 1MB, so yeah. Maybe Photobucket would be better? There's no size limit for images there.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

hypersleep posted:

Not everything, just files over 1MB. However, most retina sized screenshots are over 1MB, so yeah. Maybe Photobucket would be better? There's no size limit for images there.

I just uploaded a 5kb 114x80 image and it scaled it up for no apparent reason. :shrug:

e: or maybe it didn't. It's definitely bigger in my browser but it still claims to be 114x80. Hell I dunno.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

I just uploaded a 5kb 114x80 image and it scaled it up for no apparent reason. :shrug:

e: or maybe it didn't. It's definitely bigger in my browser but it still claims to be 114x80. Hell I dunno.

Yeah now that I look at Photobucket, it still looks like a turd. I guess Minus is the best image host at the moment, based on this page: http://minus.com/pages/help

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Minus is really good, I use it a ton. You do have to register an account, but there's no e-mail activation required so it only takes like ten seconds. I don't know about any other good alternatives to imgur that don't require an account.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New bug to report.

iOS 5.1.1.
Awful 1.10 (though it did do this in 1.9.1 as well if you opened the thread list prior to it displaying the thread, I just assumed it was related to the grey window of uselessness)

When you go to the forums list (not thread list) with the thread window set to always show it does not display the forums, giving a grey window instead. This has happened fairly frequently on further testing, it's fine if you don't change forums often, but if you bounce between a few it's going to be a pain.

Only known workaround is closing (entirely) and reopening app

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 15, 2013

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Scrolling a thread with an animated gif In it is very jerky. The animation stops for the better part of a second sometimes. It seems to clear up once the gif is well off the screen. Awful 1.9.2 on iOS 6.0.2 on an iPad mini.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Nice side effect to that though is you can freeze frame a GIF by moving the page slightly and holding the screen.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ok I found a weird bug, but I don't know exactly how it's happening.

It involves me loading a thread, reading the posts in it, going back to bookmarks and then refreshing the bookmarks. After I do that, I'll SOMETIMES see one of my bookmarks transform into a copy of another of my bookmarks. I took a screenshot:

The second Seinfeld thread was actually the borderlands 2 pc thread. So it doesn't actually replace the bookmark, it just shows up wrong.

This was happening last night, but I thought I was too tired and just imagining it. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with what thread I just loaded (I was in the freep thread just before this happened, not the Seinfeld one). Maybe it's something to do with new posts that happened between refreshes? The Seinfeld thread is at the top there.

(I'm on whatever the latest test version is unless you pushed a new one between midnightish last night and now, I haven't checked my email yet)

E: after posting this and then refreshing bookmarks:

E2: not to spam the thread with screenshots, but after the next refresh:

Only posting because TWO threads showed up wrong there.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 15, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yes! I noticed that happening to me yesterday but didn't have time to try and document it and mention it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I have the double bookmarks as of today, although they both appear to go to the same thread.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Base Emitter posted:

Scrolling a thread with an animated gif In it is very jerky. The animation stops for the better part of a second sometimes. It seems to clear up once the gif is well off the screen. Awful 1.9.2 on iOS 6.0.2 on an iPad mini.

For reasons I've never understood, animated GIFs make iOS devices explode. There probably isn't much I can do about this unfortunately, but it's on the list for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

pokeyman posted:

For reasons I've never understood, animated GIFs make iOS devices explode. There probably isn't much I can do about this unfortunately, but it's on the list for sure.

I have seen it in the past with Safari on OSX too. I think its just a webkit thing, or whatever library they use for gif. And of course this site makes way more use of it than most of the internet.

• Locked thread