Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Gazpacho posted:

Well if you decide to fix it be really careful and go slow and test everything. In my previous job I rewrote some copy-pasted code to about a tenth of the code size and felt really good about it until a customer site in Japan said they were broken. (I had left one of their copies out of the new version.)

ASP MVC automatically HTML encodes any string variables that are used in a template, unless you first pass the value to Html.Raw. So in that guy's original code, he literally could just do:
code:
<div>
   <input id='SomeButton' style='cursor:pointer' type='button' value='Blablabla'/>
</div>
Because that's the exact output he'd get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I know that and it doesn't change what I said.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
Definitely not going to touch any of that poo poo unless I have to. If a change or fix requires a decent amount of work on a page, then I'll redo the page, if only because the messed up outlining and complete lack of any structure makes it really hard to find anything.

But the stuff I posted is just the tip of the ice-berg, the real problems are far more serious. Technically it's an MVC web site, but so far, I've hardly seen any use of the "M", instead everything is passed through the ViewBag/ViewData. There's 50+ pages, almost all with dynamic content, but somehow less than 10 Model classes.

The Session is also misused terribly (big surprise), yesterday I found a Controller action that stuck all sorts of stuff in the Session, then called a method, which proceeded to pull that same stuff out of the Session, instead of just simply passing it as method parameters. I fixed that, but because everything is copy-pasted everywhere, I know I can just open up any other Controller and find the exact same crap. Add onto that that everything that's put in the Session is needlessly converted to a string first, so there's a ton of parsing code spread all over the place.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
Man, I thought the MVC app I had to deal with was bad. We have tons of Controllers that do way too much, but at least we use Models. That sounds like a nightmare.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
A new client just emailed me asking if I could fix their site. Here's the error:

code:
Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/country/public_html/admin/process.php(3) : 
eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : 
eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : 
eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 1
What the actual gently caress?

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
That's probably not a coding horror on their end. When you google for wordpress help, you get things with a lot of recursive eval()s in order to sneak malicious and/or spammy stuff in.

For some reason, people who would never just install random crap on their personal computer think it's okay to do that on their servers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bobthecheese posted:

A new client just emailed me asking if I could fix their site. Here's the error:

code:
Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/country/public_html/admin/process.php(3) : 
eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code on line 1
What the actual gently caress?

php:
<?php eval(file_get_contents("http://myserver.com/include/maininclude.php.txt"));
All the way.

But ^^^ yeah it may very well be a sign that they were hacked.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I guess this isn't code but it made me laugh, as this guy usually writes with cold efficiency and organizational rigidity. Random txt file in some folder in XCode:

BUGS:
-BS loving ;laskdjf Target retain issue w/ decoding
-why the gently caress are tiles above character where doors are? Oh wait I know nvm it’s fine.
-Corpses moving around on pan
-break up invent logic away from giant tumor method gently caress me
-MAP hosed up missing connections
-call nan
-tiles not matching up next to the thing

Awesome dude.

CALL NAN.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
C++ code:
// There will be no reported problems if at least one of the face groups is 
// "good". Whether this is a bug or feature I leave as an exercise to the
// reader - remember that "Hey it kind of works!" is kind of the status quo
// in this domain.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006

nielsm posted:

php:
<?php eval(file_get_contents("http://myserver.com/include/maininclude.php.txt"));
All the way.

But ^^^ yeah it may very well be a sign that they were hacked.

Pulled down the code. Not hacked... "encrypted".

php:
<?
/* WARNING: This script is protected. Any attempt to reverse engineer, debug or de-code this file or its dependent files is strictly prohibited */
?>
...gently caress... ok, Mr anonymous web developer, I'll not debug your code.

To be fair, the "encryption" is just repeatedly gzdeflate(base64encode(the code)), so it'll be annoying to get at, but not impossible.

php:
<?
eval(gzinflate(base64_decode($codelock_lock)));
?>
It just has a "lock" file somewhere that the code checks to see if it's valid.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Code lock defeated:

php:
<?
$codelock_lock = gzinflate(base64_decode($codelock_lock));

while (strpos($codelock_lock, 'eval') === 0) {
    $codelock_lock = gzinflate(base64_decode(str_replace(array('eval(', 'gzinflate(', 'base64_decode(', ')'),'',$codelock_lock)));
}

echo $codelock_lock."\n";
?>
(P.S. it seems like it comes from here: http://codelock.co.nz/ - It's defeated really easily... I wonder if anyone who paid them money for this realises that...)

#EDIT:

quote:

Codelock for PHP is a strong deterrent. Most end users will not be able to decipher your code and will have a difficult time working through the encryption used by the software. It will take more than the average programmer to decipher your scripts. The fact is, any PHP encryption program does needs to decrypt the file at some time, so the code will theoretically be available to experienced crackers during its execution. However, it would take considerable expertise, a lot of time and a rewrite of some of the core PHP decode engine (codelock.php) to get at it. Note: The Decryptor file (codelock.php) is also Encrypted. As well as all this, it would be a violation of our reverse engineering policy.

Apparently I'm a skilled cracker now.

bobthecheese fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 15, 2013

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Looks like they used an actual photo of a Codelock user in their banner:

"eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1) : eval()'d code(1)? What the gently caress is this, have I been hacked?"

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 15, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well their "HTML encryption" scheme is slightly more complex. It involves this snippet getting unescape()'d and eval()'d, then used to "decrypt" the rest of the document.

JavaScript code:
[03:05:22.342]
var codelock_bas='ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789+/';
function codelock_dec(str) {
  str=str.split('@').join('CAg');
  str=str.split('!').join('W5');
  str=str.split('*').join('CAgI');
  var bt, dt = '';
  for(i=0; i<str.length; i += 4) {
    bt = (codelock_bas.indexOf(str.charAt(i)) & 0xff) <<18 |
         (codelock_bas.indexOf(str.charAt(i +1)) & 0xff) <<12 |
         (codelock_bas.indexOf(str.charAt(i +2)) & 0xff) << 6 |
          codelock_bas.indexOf(str.charAt(i +3)) & 0xff;
    dt += String.fromCharCode((bt & 0xff0000) >>16, (bt & 0xff00) >>8, bt & 0xff);
  }
  if(str.charCodeAt(i -2) == 61) {
    return(dt.substring(0, dt.length -2));
  } else if(str.charCodeAt(i -1) == 61) {
    return(dt.substring(0, dt.length -1));
  } else {
    return(dt)
  };
}
Do the @ ! * replacements initially have to do with "compression" or "encryption" of some common sequences? (Whitespace?) But it really just is base64...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is security through obscurity taken to its logical conclusion.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

What a maroon!

code:
> NaN()
TypeError: number is not a function

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Am I wrong or does this Codelock thing require you to uncompress/decode the script each time the page is loaded? It seems like that's a great way to waste cycles on every request by adding 2->n "decryption" steps every time.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Anything that actually uses codelock is likely to be sufficiently awful that the codelock overhead is relatively minor.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

bobthecheese posted:

Pulled down the code. Not hacked... "encrypted".

php:
<?
/* WARNING: This script is protected. Any attempt to reverse engineer, debug or de-code this file or its dependent files is strictly prohibited */
?>
...gently caress... ok, Mr anonymous web developer, I'll not debug your code.

To be fair, the "encryption" is just repeatedly gzdeflate(base64encode(the code)), so it'll be annoying to get at, but not impossible.

php:
<?
eval(gzinflate(base64_decode($codelock_lock)));
?>
It just has a "lock" file somewhere that the code checks to see if it's valid.
When I'm looking over hacked Wordpress installs that's basically the same thing I see; gzinflate, base64 decode, eval.

Besides, look at CodeLock's website:
code:
//script generated by SiteXpert ([url]www.xtreeme.com[/url])
//Copyright(C) 1998-2003 Xtreeme GmbHp
Xtreeme!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Holy poo poo is that actually BBCode in a comment?

Though I guess it kind if makes sense if you expect clueless idiots to copy-paste it everywhere asking for help.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Hey, man, do you want people to steal your images? No? Better encrypt your PHP then.

e: Source-diving the trial (which is just a bunch of base64ed PHP) is amazing.

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 15, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Holy poo poo is that actually BBCode in a comment?

No, the forums just do that automatically. Try it out.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

yaoi prophet posted:

Hey, man, do you want people to steal your images? No? Better encrypt your PHP then.

codelock posted:

Return URLs - For some credit card processing companies (such as PAYPAL and EGOLD) it is possible to view the source of web pages and look at the return (thanks for purchasing) page, where you can directly go to the URL, click on the link to download the software without paying for it
Their tagline should be: "Codelock. Security for coders that shouldn't be coding."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Suspicious Dish posted:

No, the forums just do that automatically. Try it out.

code:
//script generated by SiteXpert (www.xtreeme.com)
//Copyright(C) 1998-2003 Xtreeme GmbHp
:confused:

Okay yeah, I turned off that little checkbox. Seems like a dumb feature though.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

When I'm looking over hacked Wordpress installs that's basically the same thing I see; gzinflate, base64 decode, eval.

So when you say "hacked", do you mean someone actually broke in or someone decided to install a smilies plugin with obfuscated source code?

yaoi prophet posted:

quote:

If you have a clever script (i.e. written in PHP)

Riiiighhht....

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

quote:

If you have a clever script (i.e. written in PHP)

Riiiighhht....

Did they mean to say that or do they just not know what id est means? :iiam:

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

Did they mean to say that or do they just not know what id est means? :iiam:
Well 'e.g.' isn't really applicable since as far as I can tell it only works on PHP!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

yaoi prophet posted:

php:
<?
@chmod("$codelock_enc", 0777);
$codelock_fp2 = @fopen("$codelock_enc", "wb");
if ($codelock_fp2) {
} else {
   echo "<br /><b>Error!</b> There is a write permission problem.  You need to CHMOD the file: <b>$codelock_enc</b> to 777.";
   die();
}
?>
These guys are just chock full of good advice. Also, they use that empty conditional block idiom all over the loving place that drives me goddamn nuts when I see it. How do you go around so willfully ignorant as to not even look up the conditional operators.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Munkeymon posted:

How do you go around so willfully ignorant as to not even look up the conditional operators.
It's creative obfuscation - make the reader so angry he can't read any more.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

The Gripper posted:

It's creative obfuscation - make the reader so angry he can't read any more.

Doesn't seem to be working, this code is as absorbing as a car crash:

code:
for ($codelock_ii = 0; $codelock_ii < 10; $codelock_ii++) {
    $codelock_codeii = "eval(gzinflate(base64_decode('" . $codelock_codeii . "')));";
    $codelock_codeii = gzdeflate($codelock_codeii);
    $codelock_codeii = base64_encode($codelock_codeii);
}
They know how to backslash-escape a double quote but they don't know you can backslash-escape a dollar sign to prevent interpolation:

code:
$codelock_nnskip3 .= "$" . "codelock_exp=\"$codelock_exp\"; ";
And every single variable's name starts with "codelock"

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

qntm posted:

And every single variable's name starts with "codelock"

I do this too, when developing plugins for CMSes. I'm always careful with the scope of my variables, but it can't hurt to have unique variable names just in case.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Munkeymon posted:

These guys are just chock full of good advice. Also, they use that empty conditional block idiom all over the loving place that drives me goddamn nuts when I see it. How do you go around so willfully ignorant as to not even look up the conditional operators.
That's probably a deliberate style choice rather than ignorance. There's a certain group of people that think you should do that rather than negating the conditional because they think it's too easy to miss the !.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Eruonen posted:

I do this too, when developing plugins for CMSes. I'm always careful with the scope of my variables, but it can't hurt to have unique variable names just in case.

Perhaps, if there were some way to put associated Names in their own Space, we wouldn't have to prefix them ourselves to prevent Collisions. But alack!, such a technology is beyond our grasp, despite our most earnest Declarations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Plorkyeran posted:

That's probably a deliberate style choice rather than ignorance. There's a certain group of people that think you should do that rather than negating the conditional because they think it's too easy to miss the !.
So use == false or something, not an empty true block.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ultramiraculous posted:

So when you say "hacked", do you mean someone actually broke in or someone decided to install a smilies plugin with obfuscated source code?

I'm talking about malware pages that get in through a plugin, but even in other cases. I've had one instance where a file was somehow uploaded with no other vulnerable PHP code (just some basic pages that had no file operations or user-input other than numbers for math/gd). Stuff like remote shells/file managers.

It's not always stupid plugins that are vulnerable, either. Plenty of well-known WordPress plugins are vulnerable, especially if you don't keep it up to date.

I'm kind of disappointed that their site didn't feature any obfuscation or anti-rightclick Javascript, though. :( I was hoping for something more exciting.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

It's true, comprehending code does become rather difficult when you start ignoring random characters.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

yeah, but then there are tons of empty else branches all over the place.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

So use == false or something, not an empty true block.

In fact using false == function() is better still.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

Not the same problem, but this reminded me of when I found a if (!(!(object))) once. :psyduck:

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Manslaughter posted:

Not the same problem, but this reminded me of when I found a if (!(!(object))) once. :psyduck:

The !!expr construct is a somewhat common pattern in a few languages; you can think of !! as the cast-to-bool operator, because it normalizes the following expression to be exactly true or false, which is sometimes desirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Manslaughter posted:

Double not is a C idiom to normalize a value into the normal 0/1 boolean form.

e: foiled by the slowness of phone posting