Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

alg posted:

edit: Topshelf made winter hats :3: http://topshelfrecords.bigcartel.com/

TOQUE! :argh:

Also, those are rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

7lip posted:

TOQUE! :argh:

Also, those are rad.

Tuque :colbert:

yeah I was about to post this.

Those are all great, and now I'm gonna have to put in a second order in as many days. :argh:

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Speaking of Topshelf, motherfucking My Heart to Joy are doing a one off reunion for a Sandyhook benefit show.

Also, reuniting for the show: With Honor

I don't know how people around here feel about either band but I love MHTJ and With Honor were always fun back in the day.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Found this reggae/punk band on Bandcamp.

Tsunami Rising. They jump around tonally a lot so you get this really diverse album.

http://tsunamirising.bandcamp.com/album/a-silent-spring

The albums a dollar or more if you want.

Edit: Some of the tracks are pretty ska-y but not many of them.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 13, 2013

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Kevar posted:

Speaking of Topshelf, motherfucking My Heart to Joy are doing a one off reunion for a Sandyhook benefit show.

Also, reuniting for the show: With Honor

I don't know how people around here feel about either band but I love MHTJ and With Honor were always fun back in the day.

I remember WH's singer talking to my friend about how great Victory was and how psyched they were to sign for them. We tried not to show it but we felt kind of bad for him, because Victory (at least at the time, I don't know now) didn't really treat their bands that great.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

mactheknife posted:

I remember WH's singer talking to my friend about how great Victory was and how psyched they were to sign for them. We tried not to show it but we felt kind of bad for him, because Victory (at least at the time, I don't know now) didn't really treat their bands that great.

I have no idea why they broke up, but every time a band on victory breaks up I just assume it's so they can get away from victory. Every band that signs to victory goes through the same "Victory is so great! I can't believe we signed to victory, it's gonna be awesome!" and then reality hits. If anything, I'd guess Victory has gotten worse, but who the gently caress knows.

Picked up a ticket to the WH/MHTJ show. Even if I can't make it out to the show at least all I did was throw $10 at charity.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kevar posted:

I have no idea why they broke up, but every time a band on victory breaks up I just assume it's so they can get away from victory. Every band that signs to victory goes through the same "Victory is so great! I can't believe we signed to victory, it's gonna be awesome!" and then reality hits. If anything, I'd guess Victory has gotten worse, but who the gently caress knows.

Picked up a ticket to the WH/MHTJ show. Even if I can't make it out to the show at least all I did was throw $10 at charity.

Victory is so bad that Streetlight Manifesto has told people to pirate their next album if they can't buy it directly from the band, rather than getting it through stores/Amazon where Victory would get a cut. Victory's pretty garbage.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Dickeye posted:

Victory is so bad that Streetlight Manifesto has told people to pirate their next album if they can't buy it directly from the band, rather than getting it through stores/Amazon where Victory would get a cut. Victory's pretty garbage.

How come Victory's so bad? Granted, there aren't too many bands on Victory that I'm interested in, but I haven't heard anything about this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dickeye posted:

I think Thursday said this same thing about whatever record they put out on Victory, too.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

nomapple posted:

How come Victory's so bad? Granted, there aren't too many bands on Victory that I'm interested in, but I haven't heard anything about this.

I remember reading random articles about Tony Brummel dicking over various bands on the label, but here's a little bedtime reading for you.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2009/08/13/victory-artists-arent-the-only-ones-who-hate-tony-brummel/

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I think Thursday said this same thing about whatever record they put out on Victory, too.

I believe they put out Five Stories Falling to get away from Victory, with Geoff telling fans to download "Jet Black New Year" instead of purchasing the EP.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nomapple posted:

There's a million horror stories about them dicking bands over in terms of money and contract disputes can get nasty. They''ll also gently caress with releases for no apparent reason. Streetlight's last album got bumped back a total of like six months from when it was supposed to actually come out. There were people emailing a lady who worked at Victory and every week the date would get pushed back another two weeks. It was ridiculous.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Tom Pridgen posted:

I believe they put out Five Stories Falling to get away from Victory, with Geoff telling fans to download "Jet Black New Year" instead of purchasing the EP.

Victory also made promotional Thursday whoopee cushions without asking the band. While that's relatively small compared to the usual Victory dickery, why would a band want to be associated with farts?

Speaking of things that sound like farts, Hawthrone Heights. I know they had a huge legal battle with Victory. But I remember back when one of their albums came out Victory was telling fans to go to record stores and literally hide Ne-Yo CDs and predominantly display the HH album to improve chances of it being number 1 on the Billboard charts.

mags
May 30, 2008

Also, Victory has gotten worse. They signed these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViSZI6UJEUQ

Apparently the rest of their album is different than this, but still lovely.

Anyway, thanks to this thread for the White Lung reference. I bought the album off bandcamp and it's really good. They have been around for a while, apparently?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Tom Pridgen posted:

Apparently the rest of their album is different than this, but still lovely.

Anyway, thanks to this thread for the White Lung reference. I bought the album off bandcamp and it's really good. They have been around for a while, apparently?

Yeah, all their stuff is awesome. Sorry and It's the Evil are good but their Magazines 7" and their new ST 7" are both really really good.

If you like White Lung check out Brain F≠ and Joint D≠

Also Hank and the Hammerheads.

edit: I really, really want to see them live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qimTeK_7Urs

alg fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 15, 2013

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I saw the White Lung list on someone's year end favorites list and just bought the album after listening to a few tracks. That album is great. I've discovered a great deal of good bands from this thread.

ktonastya
Aug 23, 2006

I'm afraid I just "blue" myself

Epitaph put a full album stream of Bad Religion's True North up on youtube this morning ahead of next week's release. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKflTc_RT6U I like Dharma and the Bomb, but at first listen, it was so weird to hear Brett singing instead of Graffin.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Tom Pridgen posted:

Holy poo poo this is so loving terrible!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

lmbo I actually got around to watching part of that just now and yeah, :stare:

Anyway for whatever reason, a couple months back I guess I must've misplaced my copy of Suis La Lune's Riala but I found it again and holy moly that album owns. Been listening to that all week.

mags
May 30, 2008

I just got around to making my wishlist on Discogs as per the Vinyl thread's recommendation.

There are a few Orchid and Pg. 99 albums up for sale. This was a great idea.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh man, March 5 in Rochester, Queers, Teenage Bottlerocket, and Masked Intruder. That's a great lineup. I'm so goddamn excited for this show you don't even know.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Still don't like Orchid or Ampere but Will Killingsworth rules. Super affordable and good quality mastering if anyone is in the market for that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

ugh, etix.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

alg posted:

ugh, etix.

Not punk or hardcore but I bought an eticket to see The Prodigy and service fees came to £8.12 (around $12).

On a more punk/hardcore related note: What albums are on the horizon for 2013?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

nomapple posted:

Not punk or hardcore but I bought an eticket to see The Prodigy and service fees came to £8.12 (around $12).

Ones I know about : two new Double Negative 7", No Power LP, new Brain F album, Caravels first full length, new Night Birds.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
New Reign Supreme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDE0AUt_dJY

A little disjointed in the beginning but picks up a little over a minute in.

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

bleedbackwards posted:

YIKES! Its so baffling to me that this is the most popular type of "heavy" music.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

nomapple posted:

Check http://gravemistakerecords.blogspot.com for the Grave Mistake/Vinyl Conflict Records 2013 update just posted today.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

This ruled, I had no idea there were so many pop punk dorks in Madison. There aren't any Wisco folks that post here, are there?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Man, I want to see Direct Hit! live :(

bleedbackwards posted:

what the gently caress is it with metalcore and misogyny

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Parachute Underwear posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt really :raise: about that first verse (I turned it off after that because it was poo poo, so I can't comment on the rest.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

nomapple posted:

New Hope Con, All Pigs Must Die, Self Defense Family and I think maybe Doomriders.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt really :raise: about that first verse (I turned it off after that because it was poo poo, so I can't comment on the rest.)

I could tell the lyrical content was really going places after "so blind that you can't see" but that kind of poo poo has always really bothered me, and it's quite parasitic these days.

Also I'm excited for the possibility of a new Doomriders.

e: why the gently caress did I sleep on Self Defense Family so long

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 17, 2013

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Ugh, that's pretty bad but it's not quite at an Emmure level of collar-tugging at least.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

e: why the gently caress did I sleep on Self Defense Family so long

This is the correct response to listening to SDF. Listen to You Are Beneath Me, immediately. Then check out all their recent 7"s and splits, then Sincerely.

This didn't bother me when I was a teenager listening to metalcore, I guess I always thought it was at least partially tongue in cheek, but now it's really off putting. Glassjaw isn't quite metalcore but I loved Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Silence, but can't even listen to it anymore.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

bleedbackwards posted:

I enjoy this kinda beatdowny music as a guilty pleasure/if I'm exercising, but man... those lyrics. :smith:

mags
May 30, 2008

La Dispute is opening for Hot Water Music tomorrow. I can't afford to see them but I'm going to anyway. Anyone else in the Orlando area going?

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad

nomapple posted:

http://japanesewomen.bandcamp.com/album/quality-control, silly Billy. Buy my poo poo. Everyone do that. Do that thing re: my poo poo you buy.

They're in as of today.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Also I'm excited for the possibility of a new Doomriders.

I think I heard they were workin' on a new album. They did recently record a loving killer Devo cover that kinda flew under the radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARig6asouAE

And yeah, Self Defense Family has pretty definitively slipped into my "favorite active band" slot over the past year and a half or so. I saw 'em live last weekend playing with a three guitar, two drummer lineup and it was very intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

New Bad Religion album trip report: it is a good album. Very political. Faster and a lot more upbeat than the last album.

I guess they're playing in Toronto on March 31st, welp I guess I know what I'll be doing that night!