Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I haven't run through the Great River region since before it was scaled down from a 75 only zone to a 70-75 zone. Is there enough content to cover that whole 70-75 range? I'd greatly prefer to run through Great River again on my 65 guardian as opposed to going through the second half of the Dunland/Gap of Rohan/Isengard content which I thought was pretty boring and dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ExCruceLeo posted:

Anyone on Silverlode want to make some money? I need lebethron wood. Leifnar is my woodworker you can send it COD or just friend me and we can talk.

What level are you? The swamp south of Ost Guruth in Lone Lands with the trolls on one side and the undead on the other is pretty good for lebethron harvesting. In the middle of the area, straight north of the quest hub, you just have the insects and a few undead to dodge around to get it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Bruman here! So last night I joined up for GB an the world's longest skirmish, then today we did Forsaken Inn. I wanted to ramble about how awesome they were :3

For GB, the fights were fun. We only did the first instance, and it was my first group ever. Things I learned as a hunter:

-Don't use AoE evarz. I tried it once. Won't do it again (unless it's a spot where I'm told too).
-I quickly got the hang of "give the tank time to engage". I'm an EQ-man by heart, so that's normal for me. However mid-fight getting aggro was still an issue sometimes. I don't know what to do about that other than learn the individual tanks and what they can hold. I did just get Endurance stance though, that should help.
-On trash pulls threat doesn't matter too much. Just burn poo poo down.
-I felt I was reasonably competent at least on helping peel adds off the healers. I was usually pretty aware of that. I'd rather get hit than them, if the tank/off-tank is busy or hasn't seen them yet

So other than my own crap, the GB instance itself was a good little dungeon crawl. We died a lot to the bosses, but it was all good. I like that everyone had patience and was just chilling, taking our time. Also thanks to the veterans for talking us through things and explaining.

The skirmish was just chaos. But that happens when you 4 man a 6 man, I guess. Also, I apparently forgot to pick my skirm partner. I still know nothing about skirms, so I need to play at the skirm trainer for a bit.

Today we did Forsaken Inn, and it was awesome. I loved it. I hate that you have to combo 3 broad "roles" to do it, but it was a lot of fun solving puzzles together. And seeing Dorin die over and over to the spiny traps :P. (we were further in, I wasn't there to disable at the time). We have to try tier 2 sometime!

My one big complaint about this game? Vendor selling sucks. I asked in-game and apparently that's just how it is. Is there no better way to sell than scrolling through the vendor's list? Because that's crap. The lock/unlock thing isn't really a solution either. My inventory is organized, so let me sell from that like every other MMO ever. As much polish and great features as this game has, I can't believe there's not something better. Please tell me guild chat was wrong :(.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

dug fin posted:

Human is actually the worst of the available races for Captains.

Hobbits are the best Captains as proven by Merry and Pippin.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

xZAOx posted:

My one big complaint about this game? Vendor selling sucks. I asked in-game and apparently that's just how it is. Is there no better way to sell than scrolling through the vendor's list? Because that's crap. The lock/unlock thing isn't really a solution either. My inventory is organized, so let me sell from that like every other MMO ever. As much polish and great features as this game has, I can't believe there's not something better. Please tell me guild chat was wrong :(.

Alt+Lclick the item in your inventory, then Ctrl+T to lock items. It's not the most convenient, but it is something.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ECBoots posted:

Alt+Lclick the item in your inventory, then Ctrl+T to lock items. It's not the most convenient, but it is something.

You get used to it pretty quickly. Especially when combined with the Hugebag mod, it lets me have a portion of my inventory that is locked and hidden in the vendor window, which then lets me do a quick glance over my loot and then hit sell all.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

xZAOx posted:

They were correct, but I'm not 100% sure why you find one method better than the other. Right clicking every item in your inventory vs switching to sell tab and clicking each unlocked item individually is only some extra mouse movement and a single click or maybe double click. It sounds like a nice add-on to make but unfortunately, the plugin API is really really feature poor. One of the example plugins provided by Turbine turns all of your individual bags into one big single inventory window, but I don't think you can take playing with inventory an extra step and actually send vendor commands unless there is a slash command equivalent.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 16, 2013

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Hello Sailor posted:

What level are you? The swamp south of Ost Guruth in Lone Lands with the trolls on one side and the undead on the other is pretty good for lebethron harvesting. In the middle of the area, straight north of the quest hub, you just have the insects and a few undead to dodge around to get it.

80 something but I'm lazy.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Captain Backslap posted:

They were correct, but I'm not 100% sure why you find one method better than the other.

Because my inventory on my person is organized. All the stuff I'd want to vendor stands out and I can quickly hit them, based on where it is.

When I go through the vendor window, it's all over the place. I'm not sure what they use for the order in that window, but it doesn't match by bag or anything.

ECBoots posted:

Thanks, that'll help, since I can at least quickly lock everything in my inventory.

SeaTard posted:

You get used to it pretty quickly. Especially when combined with the Hugebag mod, it lets me have a portion of my inventory that is locked and hidden in the vendor window, which then lets me do a quick glance over my loot and then hit sell all.

I'll check out that mod too (but probably tomorrow hehe). Thanks for the tips!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just bought my first quest pack with TP I earned playing the game :toot:. Got most of it from levelling my main up to 32 Guardian, then finishing off the last 200 TP or so getting two alts (minstrel and captain) to level 20, and getting some slayer deeds via skirmishes and Great Barrow/Garth Agarwen runs. Feels pretty good to unlock "premium" content without having to pay a dime. Evendim, here I come!

There've been a ton of new faces in Nazgun the last few weeks, myself included. If anyone's lurking and on the fence, definitely give it a shot. According to Steam I've gotten like 70 hours of quality playtime, and it's been totally free.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I removed Cynalewyn from the guild because I thought some of my RL friends were coming back to the game and we were going to resurrect our old guild. This didn't happen so I'm posting here so that I can get a reinvite!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I have to thank you guys for mentioning that lottery thing. I won some Welcome Wagon pack that was pretty nice.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Speaking of the lottery, thank you whoever suggesting logging into mylotro using the ingame browser. I was just able to log in for the first time in months.

Unrelatedly, does anyone have an estimate to when the triple pack is going to go on sale again? I barely missed the last one and I just got to Mirkwood so now I actually need it :(

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

SeaTard posted:

I installed this earlier and it's a great mod. Is there any such thing as a mod that collects info about what each of your characters has in their bags and vaults, and then puts it into a searchable database? It would be awesome to not have to log in and out of several characters looking for a specific item.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011
Hugebag lets you look at your alts inventories and banks and your shared storage from anywhere.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Silverlode lotro goons...

:siren:It's about time for a night of chicken fun, I think. We have so many drat new faces and so many of them completely unaware of the fact that you can play a chicken!:siren:

We need to make Friday night Chicken Night! I will be roping people into this alternate gameplay activity at around 6PM Pacific/9PM Eastern US. If you can endure the heartbreak and loss, you will be getting your Cloak of the Cluck

Anyone who has a cloak but wants to be official Chicken Guardians can lend a hand.

Note: It might take several evenings to get the cloak, since this can be a bit of a time investment.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 16, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
e: ^^^^ If I can remember to log in friday I'm game.

Fried Sushi posted:

I had the same problem. Following these steps exactly worked for me.

First, log into http://myaccount.turbine.com and make sure that your email address is up to date. You will need to be able to receive email in a future step.

After checking your contact information, log back out of myAccount and click on the "forgotten your password" link on the main page. Follow those steps to reset your password. When resetting your password, make sure it's between 8 and 12 characters and only using the pre-approved letters, digits, and symbols.

After changing your password, make sure the change has worked by logging into both myAccount once more and logging into the game. This step will confirm to our servers that your password has changed.

Finally, attempt once more to log into the community site.

Radio! posted:

Still no dice for me. Any other suggestions? :sigh:

Those steps didn't work for me either but I decided purely on a whim to try different browsers and in IE after it failed my username/password (the same one I just accessed my account and the game with) there wasa CAPTCHA window when the page refreshed. Entered my username/password and the captcha and it let me log in for the first time in probably a year and dozens of attempts. I've never had the captcha box appear in Firefox though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 16, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ruffz posted:

I installed this earlier and it's a great mod. Is there any such thing as a mod that collects info about what each of your characters has in their bags and vaults, and then puts it into a searchable database? It would be awesome to not have to log in and out of several characters looking for a specific item.

Alt Inventory works for that, as well as the current version of Hugebag.

If you're going to dive into the world of LOTRO plugins, use this tool to manage them. It'll check for updates, let you search to find what you want, and gives you a change log/info about each plugin right in the application. Great little tool, sadly it's stuff that should be built into the game but isn't.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Captain Backslap posted:

:siren:It's about time for a night of chicken fun, I think. We have so many drat new faces and so many of them completely unaware of the fact that you can play a chicken!:siren:

We need to make Friday night Chicken Night! I will be roping people into this alternate gameplay activity at around 6PM Pacific/9PM Eastern US. If you can endure the heartbreak and loss, you will be getting your Cloak of the Cluck

Anyone who has a cloak but wants to be official Chicken Guardians can lend a hand.

Note: It might take several evenings to get the cloak, since this can be a bit of a time investment.

How the hell do your textures look that good? I have everything maxed to Ultra on 1920x1200 and it still doesn't look that nice.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
That's not my screenshot but my textures look roughly the same.

I think you might just be impressed by the textures on the cloak. It's extremely detailed even at low texture settings.

I have the Steam client installed so it might come with the high res textures automatically. I think it takes a separate download, otherwise.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Yeah, Evil Fluffy, the captcha thing seems to be the problem. I couldn't log in for months until I tried it ingame, where I got the captcha for the first time and it worked. Turbine :argh:

Captain Backslap posted:

We need to make Friday night Chicken Night!

Oh my god I am so down for this.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Captain Backslap posted:

I don't know what this means but I'm in.

Can we get Vent working by then? We tried yesterday and it wasn't working, and I tried it again right now and it still wouldn't connect. Anyone else having luck?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

xZAOx posted:

I don't know what this means but I'm in.

Can we get Vent working by then? We tried yesterday and it wasn't working, and I tried it again right now and it still wouldn't connect. Anyone else having luck?

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Chicken_Session_Guide#What_is_Chicken_Session

quote:

What is Chicken Session
  • Chicken Session is a way to play as a level 1 chicken in the world of Middle Earth.
  • You will be adventuring in the same regions as regular players, but cannot communicate with them while you are a chicken
  • It revolves around a detailed and fun quest line to all ends of Middle Earth
  • The only way to get one of the coolest cloaks in the game (allows you to cluck like a chicken and throw feathers around)
  • With determination, the way to get the very difficult, time consuming, and coveted title '''"Crosser of Roads"'''

The best part of the chicken session is passing through Bree or otherwise interacting with other players because 90% of the time they don't know what the gently caress they're looking at or how a player got turned into a chicken. On busier servers like the "unofficial RP server" I got a kick out of bouncing around and running around on people's chairs and tables while they tried to roleplay being albino drows having sex or whatever.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 16, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Captain Backslap posted:

That's not my screenshot but my textures look roughly the same.

I think you might just be impressed by the textures on the cloak. It's extremely detailed even at low texture settings.

I have the Steam client installed so it might come with the high res textures automatically. I think it takes a separate download, otherwise.

I use the Steam client and have DX11 turned on... it still looks nice, but never that nice. Then again I'm only in the starting Bree areas, still, and those are the oldest.

Also I would lvoe to get in on this Chicken Night, but I start night shift on Thursday for the next 2 weeks. :smithicide:

Oh well.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Curse my graveyard shift, I won't be able to join in on the running of the chickens.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Weekend daytime runs can be arranged, too, I imagine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Few questions that either didn't get answered last night, or didn't get asked:

1) At what point do Tactical Mitigation and Resistance actually become important? I've been pumping them up a bit with virtues and accessories, but aside from the odd Troll/Elk stun (which as a guardian I can usually just reverse) or salamander flame I don't think they're coming into play. Would it be better to just pump the mundane phys mit/parry/crit stuff for now?

2) Also, is it generally better value with accessories to tend towards broad stat increases (Might/Agi/Vit etc.) or specific ones (parry/evade/crit etc.)

3) If I can only buy one to get me through to Moria, which quest pack is best: Misty Mountains, Angmar, Forochel or Eregion? (I have Evendim and Trollshaws)

Most interested in Eregion from a lore perspective, but would like as much solo stuff as possible (Trollshaws a bit annoying in this sense), and not so much grind. Forochel was pretty cool when I visited last night, but it kinda doesn't really feel like lotr.

4) Can someone make me a heavy shield that doesn't suck?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Quixotic1 posted:

Curse my graveyard shift, I won't be able to join in on the running of the chickens.

If there's enough interest, maybe we could get a Euro time zone Chicken Run organized too. I know there's a few of us in GMT and GMT+1, but I don't know how many would be up for it.

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Drone posted:

If there's enough interest, maybe we could get a Euro time zone Chicken Run organized too. I know there's a few of us in GMT and GMT+1, but I don't know how many would be up for it.

You're not going to make me replace my sweet sweet Beta-Cloak!

(In all seriousness, I would love to do it with a GMT crew)

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I accidentally made a level 65 2nd age guard axe instead of champ, anyone want it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Another question: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quickness sucks, right?

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Drone posted:

I would also be up for a Euro chicken run. Will we be starting from scratch in chicken play?

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I would also be up for a Euro chicken run. Will we be starting from scratch in chicken play?

I think that people should have done The Sky is Falling and then we go from there? Flying the Coop is the hard/tedious part.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
For my run I'm not going to assume anyone has even found out where it starts, which is why it might stretch across multiple evenings or Fridays. Basically this first evening will be everything from the start to the Flying the Coop and will officially end when it seems like most people involved have run out of steam.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Agamaur is terrible. Who thought it would be a good idea to put in a thick red mist that obscures all your visibility? And the epic questline has strayed away from the story of the book to cover a bunch of made-up stuff I don't really care about. I get that you can't exactly make much from the one chapter that's set in the Lone-lands but it would be nice if it at least felt more integrated with the background lore instead of a total asspull.

Seeing as I've essentially run out of free content I'm gonna go back and knock out some deeds, run through Great Barrows and Garth Agarwen and sort out my crafting skills and then hopefully I'll have money for a quest pack. Is it worth getting North Downs at this point or should I skip straight to Evendim?

Rarity fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 16, 2013

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rarity posted:

Agamaur is terrible. Who thought it would be a good idea to put in a thick red mist that obscures all your visibility? And the epic questline has strayed away from the story of the book to cover a bunch of made-up stuff I don't really care about. I get that you can't exactly make much from the one chapter that's set in the Lone-lands but it would be nice if it at least felt more integrated with the background lore instead of a total asspull.

Yeah, I hated that place too and got out of there asap.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you're going full red line traits and always staying in OP mode, it's not that bad. I was making GBS threads all over parry last week, but if you're speccing completely around OP mode (and hence need parries), you might as well go for it. Make sure you take the attack speed one too, it is one of the best increases to your DPS that you'll get.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SeaTard posted:

If you're going full red line traits and always staying in OP mode, it's not that bad. I was making GBS threads all over parry last week, but if you're speccing completely around OP mode (and hence need parries), you might as well go for it. Make sure you take the attack speed one too, it is one of the best increases to your DPS that you'll get.

I'm using it for now as it's my 4th red to give me the +15% damage set bonus, but parries seem to happen often enough for response purposes, and I have force opening. Defensively it's more or less a wash, right?

Yeah, I'm using the attack and run speed boost. Had to use non-overpower and a light shield for ages to evade enough times for it.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

It seems that Turbine screwed something up, yesterday and today I've started to miss against on-level and lower mobs again. It was my understanding that with update 9 miss chance was supposed to be reduced to zero unless you're fighting mobs that are above your level. I'm level 85 fighting level 85 mobs and I'm missing. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

How the hell do your textures look that good? I have everything maxed to Ultra on 1920x1200 and it still doesn't look that nice.

Turbine put alot of love into the best piece of endgame equipment. The Cloak of the Cluck just has really awesome textures.

• Locked thread