Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Crosspost from CD:

Tars Tarkas posted:

Dunno how I feel about this yet. Will know after I see the new Superman.

Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star Wars Film Outside the New Trilogy
http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/zack-snyder-preps-non-trilogy-star-wars-film.html

Going to agree with Tars on this one, but Seven Samurai with Jedi is a great concept, and it couldn't hurt to lift from Kurosawa again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was going to mention, I've been thinking a lot lately about what shape the prequel trilogy could have taken if Lucas had stuck with the idea of the Jedi as samurai in space rather than the Knights Templar in space.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
That story isn't true, Snyder himself debunked it: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-shoots-down-report-412336

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

I'm glad it's not true. Not because I have any feelings about Snyder, good or bad, but I just don't think I'm ready to hear about new Star Wars movies yet. I'm still trying to process that there will be more.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm glad it's not true. Not because I have any feelings about Snyder, good or bad, but I just don't think I'm ready to hear about new Star Wars movies yet. I'm still trying to process that there will be more.

I don't know about everyone else, but the day before I learned there were going to be more Star Wars movies I thought "I'm glad I don't give a poo poo about Star Wars anymore." (not literally that day but you get the idea)

The next day I was talking excitedly about the possibilities with my friend like everyone else. :negative:

Are there any books that attempt to do anything interesting with Star Wars? Maybe a bit of a deconstruction like Kotor2? Or anything like Kotor2, I am an addict and it is my crack.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Are there any books that attempt to do anything interesting with Star Wars? Maybe a bit of a deconstruction like Kotor2? Or anything like Kotor2, I am an addict and it is my crack.

The Stover books are probably the closest. Particularly Shatterpoint and Traitor, and to a lesser degree Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Chairman Capone posted:

The Stover books are probably the closest. Particularly Shatterpoint and Traitor, and to a lesser degree Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor.

Traitor is still an amazing book and I'm perpetually depressed that they pulled the sith subversion to basically ruin the entire thing retroactively.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I feel bad for whoever ends up being the director of the new movies. Every week a news story breaks linking a famous director to the movies, only to be debunked the very next day. Whoever does eventually get chosen won't be able to live up to the drat hype.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

I finished X-Wing: Mercy Kill last night. I liked it for the most part. But it's really not an X-Wing book. And part of my enjoyment was ruined by having to stop reading and check wookiepedia every 15 pages for some race, person, or major storyline that I was (blissfully) unaware of.

Vuuzhan Yong?
Random conspiracy?
They did what to Chewbacca?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Turkson posted:

I finished X-Wing: Mercy Kill last night. I liked it for the most part. But it's really not an X-Wing book. And part of my enjoyment was ruined by having to stop reading and check wookiepedia every 15 pages for some race, person, or major storyline that I was (blissfully) unaware of.

Vuuzhan Yong?
Random conspiracy?

Random stat: 7 out of 10 wookies will meet death by having a moon dropped on them. Just one of those crazy things.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Turkson posted:

Vuuzhan Yong?
Random conspiracy?

Well, when you skip the least-bad book arc of the last ten years, you're going to miss some references v:shobon:v

The random conspiracy, on the other hand, barely needs backstory. All you really need to know is "dudes were plotting and this dude's one of them".

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Ursine Asylum posted:

Well, when you skip the least-bad book arc of the last ten years, you're going to miss some references v:shobon:v

The random conspiracy, on the other hand, barely needs backstory. All you really need to know is "dudes were plotting and this dude's one of them".

It's so disappointing to me that NJO is the least bad arc of the last decade. I thought it was so bad that teenage me stopped reading Star Wars books not even halfway through the series.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

It's so disappointing to me that NJO is the least bad arc of the last decade. I thought it was so bad that teenage me stopped reading Star Wars books not even halfway through the series.
Thanks to the scope of the series, there was an opportunity for many bad books. I too didn't really like the series at all outside of Traitor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the NJO could've been a lot better if it had consisted of fewer books written by fewer authors, that under such conditions it would have been more cohesive and more focused. Indeed, I recall reading an article in Star Wars Insider some years ago which suggested that the original idea for the NJO was that the core of the story would have been told in the five hardcovers (Vector Prime, Balance Point, Star By Star, Destiny's Way and The Unifying Force) with the trilogies and duologies in between functioning as side-stories.

Of course, any multi-author series needs a great deal of co-ordination and an involved editor or else it will be inconsistent. LOTF, which was shorter and used fewer authors is proof of that. Just reading the series, you get the impression the planning sessions went something like this: "This series will have nine books. This is what will happen in the first, middle and last books. Good luck."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

Thanks to the scope of the series, there was an opportunity for many bad books. I too didn't really like the series at all outside of Traitor.

This is it in a nutshell. Traitor was good, Balance Point was okay, Enemy Lines was enjoyable apart from "suddenly dark jedi and hidden force treasure". Anything involving the Empire in Force Heretic was enjoyable, everything else felt like it meandered. And that's about it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
The ones where Wedge and company are too awesome to intentionally fail are pretty good too. Rebel Dawn + Dream I think? It's been a while since I read them.

edit: to != too :downs:

astr0man fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 17, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

astr0man posted:

The ones where Wedge and company are to awesome to intentionally fail are pretty good too. Rebel Dawn + Dream I think? It's been a while since I read them.

That's Enemy Lines, I think? Rebel Dream and Rebel Dawn. Well, they were good minus the Irek Ismaren wrap-up out of nowhere.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, whatever lows the NJO might have reached, I still think it was better than LOTF.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I feel like there was some good hidden amongst mostly poo poo. The Han Solo emo duology is particularly terrible, but the Anakin duology, while necessary, was pretty mediocre. The force heretic trilogy was only salvaged because it removed a lot of dumb poo poo like the yevetha and ssi-ruuk. Plus, nom Amor is a delight to read. Traitor loving owned and the Allison duology was tons of fun, minus stupid lightsaber man. Star by star dragged but the fall of coruscant was damned interesting. Destinys way was fun and the Luke-vergere conversations were great. So although a lot of the NJO was dumb, there were kernels of greatness. I can't say the sale for the swarm war, LotF and FotJ.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

astr0man posted:

The ones where Wedge and company are to awesome to intentionally fail are pretty good too. Rebel Dawn + Dream I think? It's been a while since I read them.

Yeah, that's the Enemy Lines deal. I like to believe that Irek was a forced in plot point by editors, given the crater Jacen finds in Traitor.

VaultAggie posted:

Plus, nom Amor is a delight to read. ... Destinys way was fun and the Luke-vergere conversations were great.

I will grant Nom Anor was usually a pretty fun character. The Luke/Vergere conversations were a nice counterargument to the black and white morality of nearly everything SW-related up to that point, but again, the retroactive "but sith" shitfucking of that meant it was two steps forward and five back.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Clone Wars books which came out concurrently with NJO were generally pretty good (though I understand a lot of people strongly dislike Jedi Trial).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Of course, any multi-author series needs a great deal of co-ordination and an involved editor or else it will be inconsistent. LOTF, which was shorter and used fewer authors is proof of that. Just reading the series, you get the impression the planning sessions went something like this: "This series will have nine books. This is what will happen in the first, middle and last books. Good luck."
They managed to coordinate 19 NJO books a hell of a lot better than LOTF, or FOTJ. Probably has something to do with 2/3 of the LOTF authors being loving idiots (and 1/2 of the loving idiots also being a sociopath). FOTJ is pretty awful but at least Karen Traviss had a temper tantrum and quit while that was still in the planning stages. I didn't develop any real opinions about her stand-in Christie Golden, other than the end result not being any good. Crucible is going to suck, Denning is horrible when he has to cooperate with other people, he's unbearable when he full creative control. See:Bugnest orgies.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

(and 1/2 of the loving idiots also being a sociopath)

Pretty sure 2/2 of the 2/3 loving idiots are sociopaths.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the general consensus on Tatooine Ghost? Denning wrote that one, which I've never read myself, but a lot of people seem to like it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the general consensus on Tatooine Ghost? Denning wrote that one, which I've never read myself, but a lot of people seem to like it.

Awful. It shoehorns in some of Denning's annoying recurring characters from NJO and Dark Nest, including that bug painting, then tosses in Thrawn for no good reason.

Also gives Leia a complex against childrearing A HEIR OF VADER that is not in evidence before or after the book.

And reminds you just how bad (and disappointing, but mostly bad) TPM was.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

Counteropinion, I liked it. Yeah it sucks that Leia's whole "Don't want to raise a heir of vader" thing isn't referenced before or since, but its an important bit of character that I'm glad at least gets addressed here.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Two things while I trundle around...

1) NJO and it's ilk should be organized like Battletech was in ye-olden-days (one author writing all the primary characters and the primary plot threads, all other authors were side stories).

2) This is going to sound stupid but... What's up with the bugnest orgies? I've seen it referenced as the nadir of Star Wars books, but don't quite know where it's from (I assume somewhere in the NJO?)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Calax posted:

2) This is going to sound stupid but... What's up with the bugnest orgies? I've seen it referenced as the nadir of Star Wars books, but don't quite know where it's from (I assume somewhere in the NJO?)

Its from the Dark Nest Trilogy by Troy Denning. Right after the NJO stuff.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's specifically from the second book, I think. Jaina and Zekk get assimilated by giant space cockroaches and there's a big hive orgy and Jaina thinks about how she wishes Jag would be there to join in the orgy with her and Zekk.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Ah... I think I might have had like a book in that (or just taken a single look at it and threw it back to the shelf) before I cleaned out my collection. 17 friggin boxes of books and graphic novels, three just between my Star Wars and Battletech books.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

It's specifically from the second book, I think. Jaina and Zekk get assimilated by giant space cockroaches and there's a big hive orgy and Jaina thinks about how she wishes Jag would be there to join in the orgy with her and Zekk.

Wasn't Lowbacca there....ewwww

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

api call girl posted:

Awful. It shoehorns in some of Denning's annoying recurring characters from NJO and Dark Nest, including that bug painting, then tosses in Thrawn for no good reason.

Also gives Leia a complex against childrearing A HEIR OF VADER that is not in evidence before or after the book.

Doesn't she have similar thoughts in the Thrawn trilogy though? I remember she did have some sort of daddy issues coming up in that series.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Epi Lepi posted:

Doesn't she have similar thoughts in the Thrawn trilogy though? I remember she did have some sort of daddy issues coming up in that series.

By then she was already married and pregnant.

IIRC I remember that was more to do with her accepting the mantle of being Darth Vader's diplomatic Heir, wrt the Mal'ary'ush thing with the Noghri.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Truce at Bakura was the Leia-daddy-issues one. It's barely brushed in the Thrawn books, and is more Leia trying to claim the "Heir of Vader" from one side of her mouth while denouncing the Empire as evil from the other side.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Leia having to make peace with her heritage was also mentioned in The Truce At Bakura; Anakin's Force ghost visits her in a dream to request forgiveness, but she rejects him.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Calax posted:

Ah... I think I might have had like a book in that (or just taken a single look at it and threw it back to the shelf) before I cleaned out my collection. 17 friggin boxes of books and graphic novels, three just between my Star Wars and Battletech books.

The worst part is that the first book in the series was not terrible. It certainly wasn't another Heir to the Empire or anything, but it was all right. And it even had a nice little (unrelated) short story in the back that was quite good. And then that poo poo comes in the second book. :gonk:

api call girl posted:

IIRC I remember that was more to do with her accepting the mantle of being Darth Vader's diplomatic Heir, wrt the Mal'ary'ush thing with the Noghri.

This is correct, with a dash of "What kind of cruel world am I bringing my children into? :qq:" for good measure.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Ursine Asylum posted:

Truce at Bakura was the Leia-daddy-issues one. It's barely brushed in the Thrawn books, and is more Leia trying to claim the "Heir of Vader" from one side of her mouth while denouncing the Empire as evil from the other side.

Word, that must be the one I was thinking of.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

api call girl posted:

jivjov posted:

Counteropinion, I liked it. Yeah it sucks that Leia's whole "Don't want to raise a heir of vader" thing isn't referenced before or since, but its an important bit of character that I'm glad at least gets addressed here.

Third Point I have no memory whatsoever of this book. I read it I know I did because I remember picking up a copy of it to read from my local library. However not a single plot point sticks in my mind from the entire novel. Its not even entertainingly bad like crystal star or the bugnest orgies, its a book so bland my brain has erased all knowledge of it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The bug orgy was at the end of book one. I know because I read it for the first Let's Read thread.

And it was really dumb on top of, well, everything. Denning tries to pull the "lol nothing happened" excused even though it's clearly a 'milky afterglow' scene.

Book 2 and 3 are still horrible. Book 2 is very clearly Denning driving Jacen to become Anakin 2.0, and Book 3 has Luke Skywalker, Space Pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
So it seems Jason and Jimmy from The Force Cast have stopped doing their show, at least for the time being.
Which is a shame - I always enjoyed listening, especially the Clone Wars Roundtable (and the show just got really good again after a long and pretty terrible four-episode arc).

Does anyone know any other good Star Wars-themed podcasts out there?

The only other one I know is Star Wars in Character, which focuses on a background character each week - fun to listen to, but not really current with regards to news, reviews and such.

Any recommendations?