Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

QuoProQuid posted:

The close-up on Jake's eyes made me feel more uncomfortable than I have in the entirety of Homestuck's run.

Seriously, trickster mode is even more unsettling than grimdarkness. It's like they're not even real people anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Those closeup eyes look a whole lot like Cal's.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Feranon posted:

Seriously, trickster mode is even more unsettling than grimdarkness. It's like they're not even real people anymore.

I think maybe you should re-examine this sentence.

SynthOrange posted:

Those closeup eyes look a whole lot like Cal's.

Oh shitball, you're right.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is the most tense this comic's been since the Trollpocalypse.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Ariong posted:

I think maybe you should re-examine this sentence.

:doh: Ahh, you know what I meant.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Feranon posted:

:doh: Ahh, you know what I meant.

Don't worry, the ones in your head are still real.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And just when I couldn't think of anything to stick under my avatar, this update happens. :allears:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

As an aside, it looks like the fan community has found its new favorite thing. with tricksterized talk sprites.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 16, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Cough.

Karkat is struggling with happiness.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I'm not a fan of the whole Ringu/Grudge thing. Trickster Mode is creepy enough, adding bullshit static and inverse color schemes doesn't make it any moreso.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ariong posted:

Cough.

Karkat is struggling with happiness.

Whoops. Sorry. I did not even realize that thread was there. However, I really am not a fan of the portraits myself. I was just pointing out that there seems to be a lot of them lately.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Whoops. Sorry. I did not even realize that thread was there.

Yeah, it doesn't get a lot of posts nowadays, which is a shame, because there is a ton of good fanart out there. The problem is that there's also a lot of weird shipping and poo poo, so people don't want to go diving for it.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 16, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What I want to know is what Jake is intending to do with that pumpkin.

What pumpkin?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
But in the past, pumpkins have always vanished. Jake is just answering the question we have been asking forever.

What pumpkin? This pumpkin. They have all been this pumpkin.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Ablative posted:

This is Dave we're talking about. He wouldn't have needed flight either way.

Dave and Rose still flew down to their quest beds at the center of Derse so revived dream selves should definitely have flight. Unless it's something you unlock at a certain level of course.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So I've basically been listening to "The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down" on loop for these updates.

Adds to the surreality nicely.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Bobulus posted:

So I've basically been listening to "The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down" on loop for these updates.

Adds to the surreality nicely.

I was listening to "Blackest Heart".

...Not my wisest move.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I hope some day there's a panel like these where the spiral eyes follow your cursor around. Maybe even just for a few seconds a few seconds, until they slowly turn to look directly outward.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Trickstervision, eh?

So this is a different kind of divine intervention than I was expecting. If Trickster Mode is like a video game invulnerability power-up, we might ask: invulnerability to what? I think it would be fair to say that in this condition they have become impervious to drama - manically, comically, exaggeratedly so. They confess of their own volition the things that were previously hard to even acknowledge, they have no fear of the future, nor grudges or anxiety toward each other, differences of opinion are resolved quickly, amicably, and at the top of their lungs, and now they can literally see through attempts to keep secrets from each other. We even saw the antagonist appear to lose all malice.

It is fitting that, as the curtain implied, it's not just the characters but the comic itself that has entered Trickster Mode. Let unchecked, it will unravel all narrative tension and destroy the story. Luckily, video game invulnerability power-ups are always temporary.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Trickstervision, eh?

So this is a different kind of divine intervention than I was expecting. If Trickster Mode is like a video game invulnerability power-up, we might ask: invulnerability to what? I think it would be fair to say that in this condition they have become impervious to drama - manically, comically, exaggeratedly so. They confess of their own volition the things that were previously hard to even acknowledge, they have no fear of the future, nor grudges or anxiety toward each other, differences of opinion are resolved quickly, amicably, and at the top of their lungs, and now they can literally see through attempts to keep secrets from each other. We even saw the antagonist appear to lose all malice.

It is fitting that, as the curtain implied, it's not just the characters but the comic itself that has entered Trickster Mode. Let unchecked, it will unravel all narrative tension and destroy the story. Luckily, video game invulnerability power-ups are always temporary.

A good interpretation. I agree!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
AND NOW TO COMMENCE THE PUMPKIN SCHEMA CALLBACK

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Oh no Roxy nooooo you were the only sane one left

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

God drat it she was the reasonable one!

Now the only question is whether tricksterizing one Dirk tricksterizes all of them. God help us if it does.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp they're hosed. :stonk:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Welp. Is there are way John can, I dunno, rescratch this session? With Roxy Trickster'd, it's clearly hosed. Reset time.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
This session isn't going well.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
ahahaha no one is safe

are you next...?

Rhycool
Jul 15, 2012

This has been more or less the most terrifying turn of events.

My best bet is still in this session's Jack Noir or Cyborg Slick stabbing some sense into things. Please.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
He'd need to stab fast. Trickster mode seems pretty contagious.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
I'm feeling real horror at this this. Holy poo poo, poor Roxy.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ok, now my big worry is that it will be Dirk who saves the day again. He's already kind of a Sue, we don't need him to get even more competent.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
nah, everybody tricksters, now.

Everyone.

hee hee hoo hoo haa haa

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, the last time I thought this session was totally hosed, Dirk saved the day and it was fuckin' amazing as heck.

That's gonna happen again, right? RIGHT? :gonk:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
This is loving horrifying. :gonk:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Nephthys posted:

Ok, now my big worry is that it will be Dirk who saves the day again. He's already kind of a Sue, we don't need him to get even more competent.

Will you accept ARquius saving the day? It might be the perfect deterrent, not even tricksters will be able to deal with that for prolonged periods.

...I kind of want to see a full-on big budget horror movie with this premise. Because this is easily scarier than any horror movie in recent history.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Dirk will make a gesture at fixing the situation but will gently caress it up and get Trickster'd.

The beta kids will show up to find their kid-progenitors acting like candied up idiots. Dave's mind will literally shatter into a million pieces from the trauma.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, I'm a bit worried for this too. I actually really hoped Roxy would have been the last one to be Tricksterfied because I really want to avoid Dirk being the one special loving snowflake that avoids it.

But now that Dirk is the last target, I so hope that there will be a callback to this with Dirk just standing there in shock at his friends crazy-ing out.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Oh, as if Hussie will be able to resist drawing Dirk with those beautiful Cal-themed suspenders.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Roxy is going to be scary. She was already the silliest of the group so Trickster Roxy is going to be terrifying, even by current Trickster standards.
Also, I really want to see Trickster Equius. I don't quite know why but I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Dirk better swoop in and save the day or something. I was really hoping Roxy would come out of this safely! :(