Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I hate my team. Ray Collins is pitching better than Big Six, Big Train and Pedro? Vomit.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
In the Expansion League, when can we dip back into our feeders to try out some new blood?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

ScottyJSno posted:

In the Expansion League, when can we dip back into our feeders to try out some new blood?

Between the expansion cup and the super-league.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Will Fergie Jenkins lead Hartford to prosperity? (.500?) We'll find out. Boot Falkenberg and put Jenkins in his place in the rotation. Keep Cone as the next starter.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Luna Landers select 'XX SUDDEN DEATH.

The Gumshoes are now on the clock.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mrnoun posted:

You realize that means your team suddenly dies, right? Like literally.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

mrnoun posted:

well if you're gonna be THAT way about it could I have my Josh Gibson back before you commit hari-kiri?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

mks5000 posted:

You realize that means your team suddenly dies, right? Like literally.

I am aware. I am also aware that there has been at least one undead team in Super League history already. And frankly, the slim chance that we'll become a team full of Moon Vampires is much more exciting than Jim Sundberg.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
mrnoun!

I wish for you to send some relief pitching my way before your team is obliterated from the league!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

mrnoun posted:

Why? Is everything okay man?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Hey yeah can I have clemens first please and thank you

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Monicro posted:

Hey yeah can I have clemens first please and thank you

Dibs on Hank Aaron.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
SUPER AUCTION! SUPER AUCTION!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
It's a scientific fact that you can't die on the moon. But still, mrnoun's lack of spirit must be punished.

And there is only one punishment great enough for his crimes.

People of thread! Attend me now!

You have displeased me greatly. And so I shall afflict this thread with a plague of unimaginable proportion. As you know, I had recently banished Bruzer for his many, many misdeeds, but this evening's events. mrnoun bailing on the league and your feverish calls for a super-auction? That would force me to do extra work? For shame!

Therefore, I have given Bruzer the following task. He must give a chapter-by-chapter book report on...a certain work of baseball fiction. I will let him introduce it. If he succeeds, he will be let back into the Super-League.

But I am not a cruel man, and so I will give you all one last chance to avoid such a tragedy. In order to decide whether Bruzer is re-admitted, I will appoint seven judges who will vote after every chapter, and after he has finished the book, whether his labors are sufficient. If you vote they are not, he must redo the chapter until a majority of the judges agree that he has remedied his mistakes.

Who among you is willing to take up the burden of protecting the Super-League from Bruzer?

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 16, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Who among you is willing to take up the burden of protecting the Super-League from Bruzer?

As Expansion Cup VIII Manager of the Canton Catastrophes and overall baseball knowledge rookie, I officially cast my hat in as Volunteer For Judge Of Comprehension To Non Baseball Enthusiasts

My primary judging criteria will be whether or not I will need Bruiser to re-explain any notable players, incidents, and/or concepts of baseball, as well as being able to judge whether he has effectively communicated the story of the Cubs. The only thing I know about the Chicago Cubs is that they suffer, a lot. As everyone knows, I'm from Ohio, and people from Ohio have an incredibly ability to perceive and recognize suffering, being experts on it ourselves. To this end, I will judge Bruiser can communicate the suffering of a Cubs fan - to the point where they would write this story - as well as keeping baseball-related information clear and concise. Especially that critical to the plot.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'll volunteer for the judge position to ensure the writing style is up to snuff. Chicago style citations, six sentences minimum/chapter, not including the required title page, bibliography, and footnotes.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 16, 2013

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

As a fellow Yankee's fan, I shall throw my hat into the ring and judge Bruzer on his quest for redemption. Do not think my choice of fandom will result in me "going easy on Bruzer". Actually the opposite is true; I will hold Bruiser to ridiculously high standards, just as George Steinbrenner did to his terribly overplayed players. Hopefully this will not end with me paying a private eye to dig up dirt on Bruzer's personal life.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Senerio posted:

I'll volunteer for the judge position to ensure the writing style is up to snuff. Chicago style citations, six sentences minimum/chapter, not including the required title page, bibliography, and footnotes.

gently caress no. No no no. I will write it, but I will not jump through hoops like that.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Just as a sneak preview, Andy Van Skyle actually made two trailers for the book!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRoPqM9VX_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF1_UcCHxfA

They are.. majestic.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

BrooklynBruiser posted:

gently caress no. No no no. I will write it, but I will not jump through hoops like that.

Listen, it's not up to me, it's up to the judges. Now, Senerio can't make the rules for everybody, but he can certainly set the criteria for his own vote.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
It is the Slim Man's Burden to defend the borders of the Super-League from banditti like the Brooklyn Bruzer.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Before you cast yourself into the Abyss, Landers, I want to offer you a trade!

Dick Allen
1970 edition - hit 34 homers and had a 146 OPS+ in the offensively depressed '70 season. Had a crappy roll, but carried the hell out of my team in the Expansion Cup. Fine, fine player who's only on my bench because of a bad roll and the fact that Jeff Bagwell is a golden god. Would be the clean up hitter for quite a few teams in the league and in the middle of the order for a whole bunch of them. Only downside is that any team with him on it will be cursed with trade offers until the end of time.

Jim Fregosi- 1964 - His first "good" season, hit 18 homers and a 141 OPS+ in the offensively depressed 1964 season. Perfectly cromulent player, but relegated to warm the bench after the presence of A-Rod.

Carl Everett- 1998 - Generic mashing COF on a team stocked to the drat gills with them.

Cliff Lee- 2010 - Pitch to contact pitcher that is holding his own on a team with the worst defense of all time, so he'd be '68 Gibson on a team that's actually average or better at defense.

and you can have throw in a few of Cardenal '70, Meluskey '98, Ausmus '98, and Figgins '10 if you want them for some depth. All decent low-to-mid-80s rolls.

for

Pedro Martinez
George Brett
Tom Henke

Dick Allen is the centerpiece, with Cliff Lee being a lesser, although still valuable part. Don't know what years those players are, but I could use a Pedro pitching like that, and Matt Williams ain't cutting it.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 16, 2013

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
I will sit in judgement of my fellow man...

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I put sewell back in when it was suggested he would improve! His Babip is still .200! gently caress!

• Is musial broken?
  • Restore the Hornsby/Sandberg/Musial Pseudo platoon if Musial isn't broken
  • If musial is broken, put Dunn in at DH for Musial
  • Put young yount vs RHP
  • Put old yount vs LHP
  • Put Sewell in the minors

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
NEW ORLEANS MASHERS

Also Biggio down, Eric Davis up.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Smasher Dynamo posted:

As someone who has written literally tens of words about based ball in my lifetime, I feel that I am up for the challenge of standing in judgement of Mr. Bruzer.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID

Welp, my great baseball knowledge is really shining...

Fitzgerald in for the injured Virgil.
Ernie Broglio to take Marcum's spot.
Corey Hart to the bench, ancient Musial in his spot because why the hell not.

I need a drink.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

dubsteppin posted:

Fitzgerald in for the injured Virgil.
Ernie Broglio to take Marcum's spot.
Corey Hart to the bench, ancient Musial in his spot because why the hell not.

I need a drink.

Is a trade an option?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I'll gladly take a spot on the jury (if one remains) and as reality has shown talent and stuff are not needed anyhow. So instead of looking for historic facts and accuracy, I will judge the entrant for it's entertaining value.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

mrnoun posted:

Really? Wow. Please don't take Eddie Collins down with you, he's loved over here at the Ineptodrome. Who would you like in return?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Pander posted:

Why the hell would he be in long relief for you? Is he cursed?
He was perfectly acceptable in the EC for me, and since then he's gone downhill. Luckily i'm at the point now where I don't have to rely on him, so I don't. But he's still, at his worst, better than some of your guys. And while BM ratings aren't anywhere near gospel, he's hovered around 95+ in every reset so far - there's a fairly good chance you'll get something better. Plus you're in the EC at the moment, which means you'll get one reset to start you off with.

You're right, though, aside from your very good players you don't really have anything else that would be helpful for me. Would you be prepared to exchange one of Mantle et al. for Lincecum plus one of my very good players? I don't really have any massive names (I think i've got something like three HoFs), but they're tried and Super-League tested.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pander posted:

Why the hell would he be in long relief for you? Is he cursed?

Also not sure if I had anything you'd be interested in that I'd be willing to part with. Either I'd be an complete idiot to give them up (Mantle, Musial, Berra, Slaughter) or they'd be a marginal upgrade for you at best.

Throw something out if you can see something.

2000 Schilling + 1964 Billy Williams and 1935 Bob Johnson?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I assemble a team of withered quadragenarians and somehow my healthiest and awesomest player is the one who gets hurt. gently caress.

Move Jim Acker to the minors and put John Candelaria in his spot, swap Henke and Quatrill.

Also make Pat Borders personal catcher to Mussina before Posada explodes.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

dubsteppin posted:

Don't worry! I believe in you and I know nothing about baseball!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Revenant Threshold posted:

He was perfectly acceptable in the EC for me, and since then he's gone downhill. Luckily i'm at the point now where I don't have to rely on him, so I don't. But he's still, at his worst, better than some of your guys. And while BM ratings aren't anywhere near gospel, he's hovered around 95+ in every reset so far - there's a fairly good chance you'll get something better. Plus you're in the EC at the moment, which means you'll get one reset to start you off with.

You're right, though, aside from your very good players you don't really have anything else that would be helpful for me. Would you be prepared to exchange one of Mantle et al. for Lincecum plus one of my very good players? I don't really have any massive names (I think i've got something like three HoFs), but they're tried and Super-League tested.

Mantle for Beltran and Lincecum?
or Mantle for Damon, Lincecum, and Bumgarner?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Pander posted:

I can do Beltran and Pedro or Beltran and Curt Schilling if you'd like.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pander posted:

Ill trade you 1972 Reggie Jackson and 1966 Steve Carlton for Mantle.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Pander posted:

I'll offer '19 Hippo Vaughn, '92 Ray Lankford, and '05 Roger Clemens for Stan the Man.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Swap Moseby for Cruz for a while, let's see if he can do any better...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

mks5000 posted:

Ill trade you 1972 Reggie Jackson and 1966 Steve Carlton for Mantle.
Why is Reggie busy making Adam Dunn look like Tony Gwynn?

Cthulhu Dreams
Pedro, Beltran, and an 80+ reliever of your choice for Mantle?