Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Getting an original, sealed Sea Change under $20 is one of those records that I am so glad I found. It was only a couple years ago, too. I'm amazed at what they go for now. Same thing for Sparklehorse's It's a Wonderful Life and Dreamt for Lightyears.

Edit: Seattle goons: You've probably heard that Easy Street on Queen Anne is closing. Storewide 20% sale.

Fors Yard fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I made a thing for some reason

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TrixRabbi posted:

I got into a bidding war on eBay for Mellow Gold once. I think the final price was approximately $75. That seems to be on the cheap end for that one.

I'm very wary of buying any of his 90s albums on ebay. There's something shady going on with this one seller in Japan and I suspect he's selling bootlegs. There are mutiple copies of those albums on ebay listed from different sellers which are all clearly the same guy. And a lot of the feedback looks really phoney. And that's aside from how much he's charging and what you'd shell out for shipping. Basically I'm posting this as a word of caution to anyone looking to get those albums (Mellow Gold - Midnite Vultures). Anytime I've seen them for sale from what looks like a legit seller they cost at least 100 dollars.

Original copies of One Foot in the Grave can be had cheaply though. I'd recommend it over the reissue because the multi-disc reissues are of questionable quality and they use some remixes.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
There are also a few different pressings of Mellow Gold out there, including one that has an alternate recording of Pay No Mind that's completely different and has an extra verse.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 15, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

There are also a few different pressings of Mellow Gold out there, including one that has an alternate recording of Pay No Mind that's completely different and has an extra verse.

Apparently there was some version of this song that was fairly long. I don't know if it was ever released in any form, though.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

david puddy posted:

Is that cloudy sky print?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

slardel posted:

Is that cloudy sky print?

It's "marbled" vinyl but this disc is more like splatter:

Album is Porcupine Tree's In Absentia

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Oh, that's cool looking too.

Still going to pretend it's a cloudy sky in the gif cause I like the sunlight reflecting off of it.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

david puddy posted:

This is very cool for some reason.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I don't know if anyone here is into blues, but evidently TMR is starting a series of blues reissues/compilations and the first three are available for preorder... http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/document-records-reissues

EDIT: It goes beyond blues, it's "the building blocks and DNA of American culture. Blues, R&B, Elvis, teenagerism, punk rock"

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

repress, but I finally got all of them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

slardel posted:

Oh, that's cool looking too.

Still going to pretend it's a cloudy sky in the gif cause I like the sunlight reflecting off of it.

Beats going outside.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Beats going outside.

Outside, where the heat can warp my records, the rain can ruin their jackets, and all that poo poo can get into the grooves? Oh no, oh no, oh no! That's just a bad idea. It's just one step away from this happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dKQLUqgB-0

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Outside, where the heat can warp my records, the rain can ruin their jackets, and all that poo poo can get into the grooves? Oh no, oh no, oh no! That's just a bad idea. It's just one step away from this happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dKQLUqgB-0

It's even more horrible than I imagined.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

eggsovereasy posted:

I don't know if anyone here is into blues, but evidently TMR is starting a series of blues reissues/compilations and the first three are available for preorder... http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/document-records-reissues

EDIT: It goes beyond blues, it's "the building blocks and DNA of American culture. Blues, R&B, Elvis, teenagerism, punk rock"

There are going to be coloured pressings limited to 500 copies each but I can't find any info on where they will be available. The black pressing will be unlimited.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

In keeping with the purpose behind this thread: Here's this month's installment of Electric Bugaloo's New Colored or Particularly Interesting (to him) Vinyl Purchases. I got both of these a full month after I intended to- in part because Insound sucks and in part because the release of The Virginia EP was actually legitimately delayed for a bunch of weeks. I had hoped to spin the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack over the holidays, but whatever.

My copy of The Virginia EP has a manufacturing defect. It doesn't impact the playback and the rest of it looks dreamy so I'm not buggin'.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bliggers- posted:

There are going to be coloured pressings limited to 500 copies each but I can't find any info on where they will be available. The black pressing will be unlimited.

I would strongly advise not buying colored vinyl from Third Man.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I would strongly advise not buying colored vinyl from Third Man.

Worst case scenario, he'd probably be able to flip it for 3+ times whatever he paid for it on the internet without too much difficulty.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Worst case scenario, he'd probably be able to flip it for 3+ times whatever he paid for it on the internet without too much difficulty.

I guess you're right. But that's not a thing I would do if a record was unlistenable.

Pookdaddy G
Jun 13, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

In keeping with the purpose behind this thread: Here's this month's installment of Electric Bugaloo's New Colored or Particularly Interesting (to him) Vinyl Purchases. I got both of these a full month after I intended to- in part because Insound sucks and in part because the release of The Virginia EP was actually legitimately delayed for a bunch of weeks. I had hoped to spin the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack over the holidays, but whatever.

My copy of The Virginia EP has a manufacturing defect. It doesn't impact the playback and the rest of it looks dreamy so I'm not buggin'.

Either way, that Virginia EP sure looks purdy! I plan on picking that up with my next paycheck!

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
To try and shift this thread away from colored vinyl and Audio-Technica turntables, what are your guys favorite record stores? Academy Records in Williamsburg is spectacular--it's too bad I don't make the trek up to NYC more often. True Vine, Celebrated Summer & El Supremo in Baltimore (I've found some great stuff at Own Guru [Unrest's Imperial f.f.r.r. and Perfect Teeth but I had to pay $50 for both], but the owner is kind of an rear end in a top hat and charges Internet Prices). In addition, Som & Joe's Record Paradise in the DC area would have to be my favorite local places (Smash and Crooked Beat are also good). CD Game Exchange is hit or miss, though I did find some Henry Cow LPs and Heavenly vs. Satan there (original Sarah press!) for $10 not too long ago. Plan 9 in Richmond is great, but have only been there once and it is a few hours away.

vedicardi
Oct 17, 2012
Vinyl only/focused stores are the way to go for me. here we have treehouse records, eclipse records, and extreme noise
(twin cities)

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Guestroom Records in Oklahoma City is where I go. They've got 3 locations and they buy/sell so they have decent selections.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Noise Pollution records in Perth, Western Australia. Not that it will help many people here.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

For the biggest range, Record Exchange in Brisbane. It has so much poo poo it's unreal:

(not my photo)

They have awful customer service though and I am still waiting on a replacement copy of Ghosts I-IV by NIN that I bought and returned last July that was warped. I am gonna go in on Saturday and ask for my money back :(

My two favourites are Atlantis Music on the Gold Coast and Rockaway Records at Carindale.

How many Australians actually post in this thread?

edit: on this note, if there are any people close to Brisbane Lifeline is doing a book fair kind of thing this weekend at the Convention & Exhibition Centre where they will apparently also have records

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 16, 2013

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

vedicardi posted:

Vinyl only/focused stores are the way to go for me. here we have treehouse records, eclipse records, and extreme noise
(twin cities)

I also find a lot of cool records at the Electric Fetus.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

david puddy posted:

How many Australians actually post in this thread?

Sup.

The only good record store in Hobart is Tommy Gun but if you live there you would already know that.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I got Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ, and the Princeton Record Exchange.

They both like an hour away from me, but even when Scottis in Morristown was still open, I didn't go there. They deserved to go out of business, they were a really lovely store with some lovely practices (hey, a water damaged copy of Axis Bold as Love that's falling apart in my hands, 15 bucks? That sounds like a bargain when 5 bucks more gets me the new remastered copy also in the bins).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Schoolkids Records in Raleigh is good for popular indie titles and a good atmosphere.

If you really want the good stuff that flies under the radar, you have to go to Bull City Records in Durham. It's basically a shack with a ton of awesome new releases in it.

I order most of my stuff online from labels because I'm a goony goon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Princeton Record Exchange.

That's a sweet store. Too bad it caters to the most obnoxious student body in the country. :rolleyes:

For me, it depends on where I am. I divide a lot of my time between Boston, southern Connecticut, and southern Maine.

For used stuff, InYourEar has a shop on Commonwealth Ave. in Boston, one in Cambridge, and one somewhere in Rhode Island. I tend to grab a lot of more popular new releases at Newbury Comics- I know there are more/probably better places around but I haven't been in Boston long enough or with enough stability to get a rhythm going and form an opinion. I'm moving there long-term in less than two weeks, so I guess I'll revisit this in a month or so?

In CT, I go to Redscroll Records in Wallingford, Merle's Record Rack in Orange, and basically any thrift store/Goodwill store I can find in the rich part of Fairfield County. The Goodwill store in Westport is often a goldmine, particularly if you like jazz and classical stuff.

In Maine, the only real "record store" option I know of is Bullmoose, which are all over northern New England. I've had better-than-normal luck at flea markets in Maine, probably because it's a bit off the beaten path for vinyl collecting.

To be honest, I get most of my new releases online.

CPL593H posted:

I guess you're right. But that's not a thing I would do if a record was unlistenable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPVMYDrbrCo

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 16, 2013

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

In CT, I go to Redscroll Records in Wallingford, Merle's Record Rack in Orange, and basically any thrift store/Goodwill store I can find in the rich part of Fairfield County. The Goodwill store in Westport is often a goldmine, particularly if you like jazz and classical stuff.
I went to college in CT and loved Redscroll. It was started by a DJ at WESU where I spent a lot of my time. Small store but there was always something I could find.

That movie "I need that record" was practically the story of my record shopping situation sophomore year. It was really strange to see it in film form. I shopped at Record Express all the time and made a few trips to Trash American Style, then *poof* they were gone and Redscroll popped up in Wallingford.

I also found that Connecticut flea markets were completely worthwhile and craigslist had a lot more vintage audio than I ever found after moving back to New Orleans. Connecticut was a surprisingly good place to be a record nerd. And a pizza nerd.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Reckless Records in the South Loop is my absolute favorite. It's one of the only places I've been where their new and repressed records are competitively priced with Amazon, and they have a great selection.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Richmond has 3 good record stores and ignore the guy above who said Plan 9 because that place is the worst. My personal favorite is Vinyl Conflict for all your punk/hardcore/metal needs. Steady Sounds and Deep Groove are also cool but tend to price a little in the high side. Joint Custody in DC is awesome. I love My Mind's Eye in Cleveland. Celebrated Summer in Baltimore is pretty cool too.

kefka40
Jan 16, 2013

We're only making plans for Nigel.
This is one of those instances where it sucks not to drive. I live in Phoenixville, PA and I heard that there was in independent record store called Creep Industries that used to be in town. Unfortunately, it went belly up by the time I moved here. Right now, I currently purchase my vinyl from Discogs.com. It's not the ideal solution, but it works, and I managed to get find some cool releases like SymbolOne's Love Juice 12" from there, so I can't complain too much.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

In Nashville, we're lucky to have several good record stores, Grimey's and The Groove both have great selections of new music as well as used. Then we have The Great Escape (2 locations!) and Phonolux that just sell used records.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
So it was briefly mentioned in the last couple of pages, but I'm moving in about 3 weeks.

Has anyone ever done a move with thousands of records before. I'm not sure how to come at it. Luckily most of the records are moving from a second location that is only 5 minutes drive from the new place.

I'm thinking like 5-10 milk crates worth at a time, repeat?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

alg posted:

Schoolkids Records in Raleigh is good for popular indie titles and a good atmosphere.

If you really want the good stuff that flies under the radar, you have to go to Bull City Records in Durham. It's basically a shack with a ton of awesome new releases in it.

I order most of my stuff online from labels because I'm a goony goon.

Schoolkids was cool, but a little disappointing via the used record selection. Bull City Records was awesome and was where I found that Van Pelt I posted earlier for $12.

answersyouseek posted:

Richmond has 3 good record stores and ignore the guy above who said Plan 9 because that place is the worst. My personal favorite is Vinyl Conflict for all your punk/hardcore/metal needs. Steady Sounds and Deep Groove are also cool but tend to price a little in the high side. Joint Custody in DC is awesome. I love My Mind's Eye in Cleveland. Celebrated Summer in Baltimore is pretty cool too.

My buddy found Lubricated Goat's Plays the Devils Music for $10 so maybe it's it or miss (I didn't find anything there though).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I post about this place all the drat time: Armageddon Shop. They have two stores. One is in Providence and the other is in Harvard Square in Cambridge. Good selection, good prices, and cool people running the place. Another good one (right down the street from Armageddon) is Analog Underground in Providence. The selection is great, but the prices can be a bit steep. There's another little shop an Somerset, MA (about ten minutes from Providence) called Sunset Records. It's a good place to get cheap 60-80s stuff. You'll find a whole lot of good stuff for under ten bucks. Plus if you buy two used records you get a third for free.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

I also find a lot of cool records at the Electric Fetus.

I don't like the Fetus as much as Treehouse. It's always a few dollars more at Fetus.

Cheapo in uptown is the worst though. Everything costs at least 2 dollars more than all the other stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Whenever I visit Texas, I try to swing by Waterloo Records in Austin. It's basically separated into a digital side and an analog side; CDs and DVDs on one side of the separating wall, and then plenty of vinyl and magazines on the other. They accept vinyl trade-ins, so it's nice and eclectic, with a great soundtrack section. A surprisingly large amount of bootlegs (Beatles sessions, mainly), and they keep the fresh trade-ins near the entrance for the diggers to pick through. Every now and then there'll be an 'Employee Pick' note tagged on to one of the artist name dividers, which is kind of cute. First place I saw Lords of Acid's 'Pussy' single, first place I saw a physical copy of an album by Momus, and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up one of the copies of David Bowie's 'Heathen' when I saw it there a couple decades ago (not that I was collecting back then, but drat, that album's not cheap these days).