Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Avocados posted:

Is there a way to make Rockstar's Bully more playable on the PC? Like custom fanmade patches or fixes? It's pretty much broken in every way and I don't have a console to play the Xbox/PS2 version.

what kind of problem are you guys having? I got about 11 hours out of it before being distracted, and I never really had any problems.

Except the keyboard controls during some of the mini games were a little difficult, though a controller fixed that easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Francostein posted:

For multiplayer games is an SSD worth it? I hear the biggest thing they effect for games is load times and I'm still not sure if getting one is worth it right now because aside from BF3 I didn't notice any bad load times on my old system.

SSDs are worth it no matter what you're doing. It was one of the single best upgrades I've done in years. Windows booting in 7 seconds just blows my mind. Watching Planetside 2 go directly into the game without the percentage loading bar (sometimes) is awesome. It also cured all stuttering as it streamed textures from disk. Same with Diablo 3 and every other game I've got. It's all instant now.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 15, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
When I had a hard drive BF3 would take forever to load and even with the enforced round start timer I would never get a vehicle. With an SSD I get one every time. It's a huge improvement in MMOs as well. You spend enough of your life staring at progress bars as it is, just get an SSD.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
How easy it is to move games on/off of an SSD? I haven't messed with transferring games to/from drives with different letters in about a decade, and I remember back in the early 2000s it involved either reinstalling games or loving around with the registry.

I know Steam changed how they treat different drives a while back, but haven't tried it yet. Is it easy to move a Steam game on/off of an SSD while keeping the rest on a hard drive? I ask because my Steam folder is 900 gigs.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

How easy it is to move games on/off of an SSD? I haven't messed with transferring games to/from drives with different letters in about a decade, and I remember back in the early 2000s it involved either reinstalling games or loving around with the registry.

I know Steam changed how they treat different drives a while back, but haven't tried it yet. Is it easy to move a Steam game on/off of an SSD while keeping the rest on a hard drive? I ask because my Steam folder is 900 gigs.

You can have multiple steam libraries on different drives now although it doesn't work with all games on the service yet. I just use linkshell extension to create a junction point (essentially a transparent shortcut) and copy the files from one drive to another. There are applications that automate it too (SteamMover, etc).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I use SteamMover and it's as easy as you could possibly ask for. Someone mentioned this is all in Steam now, but I haven't had to check it out yet with any new games.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Francostein posted:

Yeah, I got a 100 gift debit card from work so I was going to use that on an SSD but based on that and what a good friend told me about the rig I'm building, it's just not worth it to me right now. Maybe in the future when they're a little cheaper ill reconsider it. Thanks man.

I installed my first SSD last week. Get one, even if you ignore the benefits with game load times the general behaviour of your Operating system will be so improved you won't be able to go back.

Windows is so fast to boot now I don't even get to see the windows logo, the Windows 7 swirling colours appear for less than a second but are replaces with the password prompt appears before they even get close to forming the Windows logo.

Just make sure you switch on AHCI in the bios.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Gunslinger posted:

When I had a hard drive BF3 would take forever to load and even with the enforced round start timer I would never get a vehicle. With an SSD I get one every time. It's a huge improvement in MMOs as well. You spend enough of your life staring at progress bars as it is, just get an SSD.
It's just the vanilla maps/the campaign. If you load any of the DLC maps, even huge ones like the ones in B2K or Armoured Kill, they wiz by super fast even on my 7200rpm platter. It's just that DICE refuses the recompile the original maps to load better. Hell, they loaded pretty quick in the beta as well.

Avocados posted:

Is there a way to make Rockstar's Bully more playable on the PC? Like custom fanmade patches or fixes? It's pretty much broken in every way and I don't have a console to play the Xbox/PS2 version.
While we're on the subject of Bully, anyone know why my 360 pad is completely broke as gently caress in this game? It works fine in everything else, but if I try to run forward by pushing LS straight forward, I just walk forward and I have to edge over to the sides to start running. Problem is now I'm not running in the straight line I intended.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

what kind of problem are you guys having? I got about 11 hours out of it before being distracted, and I never really had any problems.

Except the keyboard controls during some of the mini games were a little difficult, though a controller fixed that easily.

Yeah I got through the game fine on the PC recently.

Only thing that hosed me up was the bike repair class and it deciding if I was making a circular motion with my mouse or not, I don't think I had too much trouble with the other classes or game mechanics, I think my settings did take a bit of tweaking first but no 3rd party programs or anything.

Worth playing and not too long, the collectables you get in game maps for by completing Geography class if you're into 100%ing things.

HicRic
Dec 4, 2006
To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.

Sober posted:

It's just the vanilla maps/the campaign. If you load any of the DLC maps, even huge ones like the ones in B2K or Armoured Kill, they wiz by super fast even on my 7200rpm platter. It's just that DICE refuses the recompile the original maps to load better. Hell, they loaded pretty quick in the beta as well.

While we're on the subject of Bully, anyone know why my 360 pad is completely broke as gently caress in this game? It works fine in everything else, but if I try to run forward by pushing LS straight forward, I just walk forward and I have to edge over to the sides to start running. Problem is now I'm not running in the straight line I intended.

I think that's just a general, but rare, problem with games and xbox pads on PC. I remember someone describing exactly the same issue with walking forwards in the Dark Souls PC thread, and only for that one game. Don't remember it getting resolved though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I have absolutely no problems with Dark Souls either, so now it's just probably Bully at this point.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Leper Residue posted:

Loading will start and never finish, horrible texture pop in, along with flashing and disappearing objects/textures, audio problems. I have relevant, fast hardware too. It's a shame because the game looks like GTA: The Kiddie Days. But from the looks of it maybe I just have that really unlucky hardware combination that seems to dislike this one game.

buglord fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 16, 2013

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Do you just use the SSD to a cache drive, install Windows on it, or just install the games on it, or what? Most games today are so huge that 250GB is enough room for Windows and like your two favourite games.

Okay, fine: five.

Maybe I could just get away installing games only? I'm using Ivy Bridge 3700K with some wacky Intel FastBoot technology that I don't really mind my Windows bootup speed even on a mechanical drive.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
You'll definitely want to have your OS on the SSD, if you own one.

I think what most people do is to have a huge mechanical drive for their main games library, and then just move over the 5 or 6 games they're currently playing to the SSD. Steam has even been able to do this natively for a while now. Once you're done with a game and need room for new ones, move it back to the HDD and move the new game(s) over to the SSD.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Burning Mustache posted:

You'll definitely want to have your OS on the SSD, if you own one.

I think what most people do is to have a huge mechanical drive for their main games library, and then just move over the 5 or 6 games they're currently playing to the SSD. Steam has even been able to do this natively for a while now. Once you're done with a game and need room for new ones, move it back to the HDD and move the new game(s) over to the SSD.
I did this for a while, but it's so nice to launch things from the SSD I just threw in the towel and bought a second one to replace the mechanical drive. The only thing I'd have not using an SSD now is a media PC; they're just fantastic for things you use on a daily basis. Going back to a spinning drive just sucks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
So what I'm understanding is that I could install TF2 on the SSD but then catch Assassins Creed 3 on a sale, move the entire install of TF2 to a mechanical drive and then install AC3 onto the SSD. And then swap the locations of TF2 and AC3 when I'm done with AC3. Also when either game is on the mechanical drive I can still play it if I want?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
On my 240GB SSD I have Windows 7, 5 indie games and 9 large games installed on it and still have 76GB left . I've changed it so my music/videos and downloads go to my 500GB HDD automatically.

There are all sorts of things you can do to shrink a Windows install. Hibernation for example uses up as much space as you have RAM which is as much as 16GB for some people.

Get an SSD. 240-260GB is the right size to get.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 16, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Francostein posted:

So what I'm understanding is that I could install TF2 on the SSD but then catch Assassins Creed 3 on a sale, move the entire install of TF2 to a mechanical drive and then install AC3 onto the SSD. And then swap the locations of TF2 and AC3 when I'm done with AC3. Also when either game is on the mechanical drive I can still play it if I want?

Yep! Even the smaller 120GB drives are large enough for the OS and about 3 or so larger games with room left over. Its probably enough for most gamers to not have to worry about constantly shuffling stuff around.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Just built my new system with SSD 128GB/1TB WD Black. Most games load extremely quick being installed on the WD Black. I haven't really run into a reason to load on the other.

I do have 16GB of RAM. For those in my position, wouldn't a RAM disk suffice?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Avocados posted:

Loading will start and never finish, horrible texture pop in, along with flashing and disappearing objects/textures, audio problems. I have relevant, fast hardware too. It's a shame because the game looks like GTA: The Kiddie Days. But from the looks of it maybe I just have that really unlucky hardware combination that seems to dislike this one game.

Have you tried verifying in the files in steam? Seems like something is corrupt.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry if this might be straying from the thread's topic a bit, but do you guys think there's sort of an MX518 equivalent in notebook mice? I just want something small and wireless(RF or bluetooth, doesn't matter) that's solid and practical the way the MX518 is. I'm going to do some light gaming with it, but it's a notebook mouse so I don't necessarily care if it has any gaming features. I'm not exactly bringing it to the ~Quake 3 Championship~ or something.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Sorry if this might be straying from the thread's topic a bit, but do you guys think there's sort of an MX518 equivalent in notebook mice? I just want something small and wireless(RF or bluetooth, doesn't matter) that's solid and practical the way the MX518 is. I'm going to do some light gaming with it, but it's a notebook mouse so I don't necessarily care if it has any gaming features. I'm not exactly bringing it to the ~Quake 3 Championship~ or something.

I use the Razer Orochi and have no complaints. It feels very sturdy and well-made, and can operate either wired or wirelessly (via bluetooth)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Logitech makes a mouse called the MX Anywhere. I've never used it but it might be worth checking out.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

So has anyone had this bug with Alan Wake: American Nightmare? Running on a Win 8 computer, if that makes a difference.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Have you tried downloading the latest drivers for your graphics card?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

No but it looks like the one I have is up to date.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

ToxicFrog posted:

Maybe if you were planning to record some of your matches, but not otherwise. You only get benefit from an SSD when reading from/writing to disk, which for a multiplayer game is only going to happen between levels, if at all, barring in-game recording of some sort.
For some specific games with a specific type of loading system (ARMA, Planetside 2) SSDs can apparently help with rendering and draw distance. Not sure about PS2 but ARMA it definitely works with ARMA.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

Raneman posted:

For some specific games with a specific type of loading system (ARMA, Planetside 2) SSDs can apparently help with rendering and draw distance. Not sure about PS2 but ARMA it definitely works with ARMA.

Sticking Arma 2 on an SSD makes a world of difference. My FPS didn't see a substantial increase, but the game as a whole feels a lot smoother because loading stutters are completely gone. With an SSD, I can actually crank up the view distance to maximum and not take a crippling performance hit. It's a beautiful thing.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

So has anyone had this bug with Alan Wake: American Nightmare? Running on a Win 8 computer, if that makes a difference.

Verify your game cache?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Reinstalled it and then verified the game cache. Still nothing.

fake edit: Checked the offical forums. My graphics card is apparently not supported. :\

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Lord Lambeth posted:

fake edit: Checked the offical forums. My graphics card is apparently not supported. :\

Is at all playable? You could just pretend it's the indie game sensation, Alan Wake: American Chiaroscuro.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah it's totally playable. I thought it was a aesthetic decision at first, it made sense considering the game's focus on light and dark.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

What card?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't know what causes this but now I want to play a game that's designed to look like that. It's cool.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
To be fair, it looking like that is a pretty good reason to declare a card as unsupported rather than "We just didn't try it and just assumed" like some other companies seem to do. EA was pretty bad at it for a long time, I played a few of their games with cards lower than the minimum requirements at ~30 FPS on lower resolutions.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

notZaar posted:

I don't know what causes this but now I want to play a game that's designed to look like that. It's cool.

It looks a bit like a cross between Limbo and MadWorld.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Intel HD 4000

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do you get a lot of mileage out of that thing? My laptop does the dual GPU thing and it seems like any time it accidentally boots into the integrated HD 4000 games pretty much just don't run well unless they're from 2006. I was wondering if the one I have is limited in some way because it's intended that you use the 630m for any 3D applications or if that's just the way the HD 4000 actually is.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Intel HD isn't really good for anything other than handling the accelerated portions of the Vista/7/8 UI, video acceleration, and mass market games like the Sims aimed at people that may be playing on minimum spec $500 HP boxes that don't have a real graphics card, despite all the noise intel keeps making about their integrated graphics being competitive against discrete cards.

If you at all value your ability to game on a PC, it's worth it to spring for the extra $80 or whatever for a budget discrete card - you can often get mid- or high- end cards of the previous generation for around that price or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Do you get a lot of mileage out of that thing? My laptop does the dual GPU thing and it seems like any time it accidentally boots into the integrated HD 4000 games pretty much just don't run well unless they're from 2006. I was wondering if the one I have is limited in some way because it's intended that you use the 630m for any 3D applications or if that's just the way the HD 4000 actually is.

Well it plays Witcher 2, New Vegas, and Arkham City pretty well. This is the first I've encountered a problem.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Intel HD isn't really good for anything other than handling the accelerated portions of the Vista/7/8 UI, video acceleration, and mass market games like the Sims aimed at people that may be playing on minimum spec $500 HP boxes that don't have a real graphics card, despite all the noise intel keeps making about their integrated graphics being competitive against discrete cards.

If you at all value your ability to game on a PC, it's worth it to spring for the extra $80 or whatever for a budget discrete card - you can often get mid- or high- end cards of the previous generation for around that price or less.
It's a laptop so that probably won't be happening. My previous computer was seven years old so Witcher 2 went from a slideshow to slicker than greased lightning.

• Locked thread