Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Lance Streetman posted:

Alright, first question: The gently caress is with those weird borders around your screenshots? How did you capture these?

Second, the gently caress is up with those character portraits?

Weird borders? You mean those thin grey lines around the pictures? Personally I didn't even notice them until you had pointed them out to me, but anyways, I captured them with IrfanView, then cropped them.

As for the character portraits, what do you mean? They have those weird red lines, but I assumed that that was an LPix thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Fionordequester posted:

Weird borders? You mean those thin grey lines around the pictures? Personally I didn't even notice them until you had pointed them out to me, but anyways, I captured them with IrfanView, then cropped them.

As for the character portraits, what do you mean? They have those weird red lines, but I assumed that that was an LPix thing.

The character portraits should look like this:

How did you post them into the test poster to make them look like they do?

Also, you can probably get screenshots from whatever emulator you're using without having to crop them.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

first of all, less screenshots. Like, a lot less. The credits stuff at the start was loving painful, as was the fact you capped every frame of the victory animation.

Also, you rarely have anything worthwhile to say. There is so much filler crap which on it's own would be fine but it's RELENTLESS.

"All in all, it's a great scene, but what I love about it is that Jessie, despite having Barret POUNDING HIS CHEST in range, doesn't take one second to even look back at the two. It's almost as though she's used to Barret doing this all the time, and she's just learned to tune it out by now. I don't know, I just find that really amusing! "

Who cares.

"You know, as much as a jerkwad this may make Cloud look, it actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it. I mean as a group of terrorists who've charge their way into Shinra's factory, does Barret really have time to be stopping and giving long-winded exposition? Seems to me like Cloud's got the right idea in not wanting to stop for anything."

Who cares.

You could even have said those in a way that DIDN'T come across like an autistic describing CMYK values and been fine. Something like "And Jessie completely ignores Barrets pointless macho chest pounding" and "Why didn't you discuss this before the mission?". Not perfect, but more punchy than your paragraphs of pointless.

Basically, calm down, you're trying too hard at the wrong things.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Lance Streetman posted:

Alright, first question: The gently caress is with those weird borders around your screenshots? How did you capture these?

Second, the gently caress is up with those character portraits?

The images are all slightly different sizes (+- a couple of pixels) so I'm going to take a guess they were somehow captured manually. If so, that's not a very efficient way to do it. Personally I would suggest simply recording the video and then easily capturing screenshots from there, but there are many other ways that don't involve manually dragging a rectangle around everything.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Pork Lift posted:

first of all, less screenshots. Like, a lot less. The credits stuff at the start was loving painful, as was the fact you capped every frame of the victory animation.

Well, the point of the credits sequence was to get to that one mistranslated screen where it said "Executive Produce" instead of "Executive Producer". But I guess the setup wasn't very good.

quote:

"All in all, it's a great scene, but what I love about it is that Jessie, despite having Barret POUNDING HIS CHEST in range, doesn't take one second to even look back at the two. It's almost as though she's used to Barret doing this all the time, and she's just learned to tune it out by now. I don't know, I just find that really amusing! "

Who cares.

"You know, as much as a jerkwad this may make Cloud look, it actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it. I mean as a group of terrorists who've charge their way into Shinra's factory, does Barret really have time to be stopping and giving long-winded exposition? Seems to me like Cloud's got the right idea in not wanting to stop for anything."

Who cares.

You could even have said those in a way that DIDN'T come across like an autistic describing CMYK values and been fine. Something like "And Jessie completely ignores Barrets pointless macho chest pounding" and "Why didn't you discuss this before the mission?". Not perfect, but more punchy than your paragraphs of pointless.

Yeah, verbosity is a problem of mine.

quote:

Basically, calm down, you're trying too hard at the wrong things.

Plus it makes this much more time consuming than it has to be I suppose, especially the screenshots thing.

Lance Streetman posted:

The images are all slightly different sizes (+- a couple of pixels) so I'm going to take a guess they were somehow captured manually. If so, that's not a very efficient way to do it. Personally I would suggest simply recording the video and then easily capturing screenshots from there, but there are many other ways that don't involve manually dragging a rectangle around everything.

Actually, they were all captured with Irfanview, but I had to crop all of them in order to cut out some of the borders. That's probably how the inconsistencies happened. Anyways though, how would you recommend doing it?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Actually, they were all captured with Irfanview, but I had to crop all of them in order to cut out some of the borders. That's probably how the inconsistencies happened. Anyways though, how would you recommend doing it?

I...didn't say that? You do know you can quote multiple posts in the reply screen, right?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Nobody wants to read you going through the entire credits and even if they did they don't need you capping the image at all because they're loving names. Coming into that I'd immediately walk away because you dive right into boring poo poo nobody wants to read.

Your character portraits are gigantic. They take up several lines and are linked for whatever reason. The size you actually have them at in the upload is more reasonable but still needs to be shrunken.

Fionordequester posted:

Well, the point of the credits sequence was to get to that one mistranslated screen where it said "Executive Produce" instead of "Executive Producer". But I guess the setup wasn't very good.

Forget the setup, I didn't even get the 'joke'. There's a typo in an early Final Fantasy game, nobody cares and they're riddled with them. If you're going to point out every single weird phrase or typo like this nobody will want to read this because it's just you nitpicking at poo poo everyone else glazes over.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Fionordequester posted:

Well, did you use the batch processing in IrfanView? You should be able to crop all images consistently that way without having to do it one by one. I think you can open the batch processing dialog by pressing the 'B' key (not sure about that--I normally use ImageMagick for batch processing purposes since I'm not running Windows at home).

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

I...didn't say that? You do know you can quote multiple posts in the reply screen, right?

Well, yeah, I realized that, but I liked the way I organized it better. Then again, I have some weird tastes in that sort of thing.

ivantod posted:

Well, did you use the batch processing in IrfanView? You should be able to crop all images consistently that way without having to do it one by one. I think you can open the batch processing dialog by pressing the 'B' key (not sure about that--I normally use ImageMagick for batch processing purposes since I'm not running Windows at home).

I did not use the batch processing, but I certainly will now!

sentrygun posted:

Nobody wants to read you going through the entire credits and even if they did they don't need you capping the image at all because they're loving names. Coming into that I'd immediately walk away because you dive right into boring poo poo nobody wants to read.

I see.

sentrygun posted:

Your character portraits are gigantic. They take up several lines and are linked for whatever reason. The size you actually have them at in the upload is more reasonable but still needs to be shrunken.

What size would you recommend?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2013

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Fionordequester posted:

What size would you recommend?

64x64 is a decent size for a portrait, as is 75x75, or 50x50. Personally, after having 64x64 portraits in my last LP, I think those are the best size. They're big enough to be recognizable that way, but not so big that they're just...Too big, I guess.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Right. Now one last thing. I took so many screenshots both because I wanted to try to capture more of the essence of the game (which is why I shot so many shots of Cloud's victory animation), and because I was afraid those who are new to FFVII may have trouble following along otherwise. Do you think those are things to be concerned about

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fionordequester posted:

Why on earth do you need to do any cropping with Irfanview? Just pick "Foreground window - client area" as your area to capture, and it'll just capture the contents of the window without any of the borders when you hit your screenshot key. That's how I've always done my LPs and I've never needed to crop.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

No. We lose nothing from missing a few screens. I also wanna preemptively tell you that we dont have to see every line of dialogue from every character.

If you wanna show stuff like animations off, make gifs (there is probably a tutorial in the tech support fort) or even maybe videos for longer stuff.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Pork Lift posted:

No. We lose nothing from missing a few screens.

Okey doke then.

Pork Lift posted:

I also wanna preemptively tell you that we dont have to see every line of dialogue from every character.

Now see, that's the one thing I've had people state so far that I will disagree with. I mean sure, the vast majority of people won't mind I'm sure, but for those people who are as :goonsay: as me, well, that stuff actually IS fairly important. I know I sometimes got irritated when Elentor did that.

Pork Lift posted:

If you wanna show stuff like animations off, make gifs (there is probably a tutorial in the tech support fort) or even maybe videos for longer stuff.

Right.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 16, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Feinne posted:

True story I'm actually a grotesque homunculus created in a lab to promote the destruction of America through bizarre and off-putting games.

Sorry man, I jest. I really liked your ATQ LP and I thought to myself "hey, I DID play a game that was sort of like that! I wonder what the goons will think of it?"

More to the point, how do you guys prefer to take mugshots of characters? I know some people use the head from official concept art, but what if there's no concept art available? Do you just take the mugshot from the game? If so, what's the best way to fix the background? Or should I just leave the background in and not bother?

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

Fionordequester posted:

Now see, that's the one thing I've had people state so far that I will disagree with.

I think more to the point, we don't need screenshots of every single line of dialogue. If you want to transcribe it all with portraits, go nuts I guess? What's the point of having portraits at all if you're going to just screencap every conversation in incredibly tedious detail? see: intro credits. If you really need to have crap like that pointed out, mention it in a post. I don't think it's important enough to warrant really being like 5 screenshots long just of changing names. You really need to learn brevity and edit your stuff better. Also the best way to show off the victory dances would probably be gifs instead of screenshots of every frame.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Hampooj posted:

I think more to the point, we don't need screenshots of every single line of dialogue. If you want to transcribe it all with portraits, go nuts I guess? What's the point of having portraits at all if you're going to just screencap every conversation in incredibly tedious detail? see: intro credits. If you really need to have crap like that pointed out, mention it in a post. I don't think it's important enough to warrant really being like 5 screenshots long just of changing names. You really need to learn brevity and edit your stuff better. Also the best way to show off the victory dances would probably be gifs instead of screenshots of every frame.

I don't screenshot every line of dialogue though. Just whatever screen featured a change in someone's body language, that way there was more context as to what was going on. Then when there was another line of dialogue that had no such change in body language, I would use the portraits. You know what I mean?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 16, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So... every single text box, more or less? FFVII isn't exactly like the ones that come before it. The characters are moving drat near constantly in scenes.

SSNeoman posted:

If so, what's the best way to fix the background?

The way I usually do it, and I think some others do to, is disable background layers until you get the character's sprite on a black background and take a screenshot of that. From there, I just open the image in Paint.NET and select the wand to highlight all the background stuff (you might have to mess with the tolerance setting a bit first in some cases).

Alternatively, you might not even have to bother with that and they could all be ripped and uploaded somewhere.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fionordequester posted:

FINAL FANTASY 7 LP

Now I'm not one of those people who thinks you can't LP a game that some one else has LPed. I do think though that you should have a reason for why you're duplicating LP. So with that I ask:

What do you think you can bring to the table that the other FF7 LP couldn't?

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Volume posted:

Now I'm not one of those people who thinks you can't LP a game that some one else has LPed. I do think though that you should have a reason for why you're duplicating LP. So with that I ask:

I am going to have to agree totally with this fella here. Essentially, there is an FF7 screenshot LP currently going on at this minute by Elentor, which is thorough and concise already. As far as I can tell from this presentation, there is nothing in this presentation that stands out or even differentiates your LP from the current one. It makes no sense, and we essentially told you this when you drew yourself into Elentor's LP.

To be honest, in the time you signed up from right now, you have been kind of blundering about without a clue on how this board really works. I'm gonna have to be cruel to be kind, and suggest you abandon this and actually take the time to look at another game to screenshot LP. It's only going to end in tears if you keep going in this direction.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Volume posted:

I think my playthrough will be much more efficient than Elentor's. I'm going to beat this game with speed running strategies while also providing good strategies for those who wish to fight every random encounter, unlike me. That's really the main thing I have over Elentor...

However, there is another reason for wanting to LP this other than just really enjoying the game. I figure that if I can have a rough first LP on a game that's already covered by someone giving it an excellent LP, then that will make me all the more prepared to play more obscure gems that DON'T have as many good LP's (that I could find), like maybe the 7th Saga, or other such games like that. If I mess up on what is already a popular game...well then, you've still got someone else to go back to. But if I mess up on what is NOT a popular game, well then, that's all the more of a shame, right?...

But, if you really don't want me to LP this game...than alright. I didn't want to abandon this, since there WERE like, one or two people who actually did enjoy my Let's Play videos (although one of them asked for a shout-out, so I'm not sure how sincere that was...), and I believe in finishing what you start...but I guess for the sake of giving this game what it deserves, I'll step down.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 16, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Well, yeah, I realized that, but I liked the way I organized it better. Then again, I have some weird tastes in that sort of thing.

It's not just taste. Quoting from the reply screen includes a link to the quoted post, while quoting by doing copy + paste does not include a link. You are making reading your post more difficult for everybody else.

Also, you quoted somebody else's post while attributing it to me.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

Fionordequester posted:

I think my playthrough will be much more efficient than Elentor's.

But.. This is a screenshot LP? I'm not sure I understand how speedrunning strats and efficiency can really be portrayed in any effective capacity through screenshots, when you also said it's super important to show off all the dialogue. That all seems like a contradiction to me, or at least really illogical.

I mean, if you really enjoy doing this, then by all means continue. But as has already been said, the reaction you're going to get may not be a positive one or one you're hoping for at all. I also really fail to see how speedrunning is all that effective when you still can't really hope to play through this game in like under 8 hours. I dunno, it's been like 15 years since I touched this game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Fionordequester posted:

I think my playthrough will be much more efficient than Elentor's. I'm going to beat this game with speed running strategies while also providing good strategies for those who wish to fight every random encounter, unlike me. That's really the main thing I have over Elentor...

Who cares about your pro TAS battle strats?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

I do. And, because I guess I'm just weird like that, it's a pet peeve of mine when someone wastes time doing something that I KNOW isn't necessary for finishing the game, or anything like that. Personally I found it surprising that people WOULDN'T be more interested in that.

Hampooj posted:

But.. This is a screenshot LP? I'm not sure I understand how speedrunning strats and efficiency can really be portrayed in any effective capacity through screenshots, when you also said it's super important to show off all the dialogue. That all seems like a contradiction to me, or at least really illogical.

I mean, if you really enjoy doing this, then by all means continue. But as has already been said, the reaction you're going to get may not be a positive one or one you're hoping for at all. I also really fail to see how speedrunning is all that effective when you still can't really hope to play through this game in like under 8 hours. I dunno, it's been like 15 years since I touched this game.

1) Nope, it's a SSLP/Video hybrid. One version is video, one version is screenshot, although, perhaps that may be too inefficient...

2) Well...it's as the old saying goes. "The more you bruise during training, the less you bleed on the battlefield". And I'll admit that the reaction HASN'T been what I expected, but that's why it's so critically important that I keep refining myself. There's a lot of sadness in the world, and I was hoping that through my knowledge of videogames, I could be an entertainer, both through pro elite playing, and through funny commentary...And besides, 9 hours is better than 12, right? If anything, I would've thought it being a long game would be even MORE of a reason to be interested in speed running strategies.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

But I haven't seen you say or do anything that is even remotely entertaining. Do you really fancy yourself as an entertainer?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Of course you do. But why would I, the viewer, care about efficiency? Battles aren't really entertaining or engaging, they're just boring, as you know how to beat every single one.

If you wanted to do a "Let's Break", you could, but there have been no major skips found in FFVII, so it's not worth it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

But I haven't seen you say or do anything that is even remotely entertaining. Do you really fancy yourself as an entertainer?

Actually, yeah. In fact, I remember doing a set of reviews for "Avatar: The Last Airbender" on the SpoonyExperiment and Avatarspirit.net forums, and actually getting a fairly positive reception from BOTH forums, so I thought I was doing something right. And people have complimented my writing skills before, so I thought I would be a good fit once I polished my :spergin:iness a little (in fact, I'm going to just admit this right now, I have Asburger's Syndrome as well as OCD).

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
If you make a terrible version of an ongoing/already finished LP then people will just go read that instead of ever bothering with yours and you'll be updating for nobody. As much as people would like to say you should be making LPs because you want to and not for views, it does get pretty pointless when your intent is to show something off to someone while not having anyone watching/reading.

More importantly, you should show off that obscure stuff that you care about. You want to show something you think is cool off to people, right? Do that instead of trying to show people a slideshow of a game they've almost certainly played already. If you're just doing this for the sake of writing something about something, I'd suggest taking a different medium than videogames.

Fionordequester posted:

The entire reason people SSLP RPGs is because they're for the most part terribly boring to watch and incredibly repetitive. If you want to show off some ridiculous speedrun stuff that's actually interesting, screenshots are a terrible medium for this because people read at their own pace. Also, if you're making your big deal your crazy speedrun strategies, why is your test post a bunch of story and a boring representation of you killing enemies with basic attacks?

Speaking of that, why are you going into the options menu? There's nothing interesting there, there really isn't. You tell us how your controls are set up. Nobody cares. The only thing remotely interesting is that there's a magic sorting order that speeds you up, and not only is that not exciting in the least but you even downplay it by saying it's pointless to really bother with.

If your shtick is doing a speedrun and there's actually a way to make an interesting speedrun outside of fighting every fight as optimally as possible and inputting commands rapidly, you should be doing a heavily edited video playthrough with all the story cut out. Right now the only thing that says 'speedrun' to me about your LP is that you mention one little option that might speed you up. Bring something interesting to the table if you actually have something interesting to bring, don't just muck around and make something terrible then throw a fit when people critique it in the thread all about critiquing stuff.

Fionordequester posted:

1) Nope, it's a SSLP/Video hybrid. One version is video, one version is screenshot, although, perhaps that may be too inefficient...

That's not a hybrid LP, that's making your LP twice over entirely. When people say hybrid around here they mean that there's mostly X format content (usually screenshots) but it's supplemented with Y format to better present those sections. Say for example you had a really text heavy RPG but all the fights were crazy dance battles and each one was unique. You'd have to show that off via video or it'd just lose its effect, but nobody wants to read all that text in video format. Thus, you record videos of the cool action stuff while making a typical screenshot LP for all the in-between conversations.

Since I expect you to take that the wrong way at this point, no, FFVII does not have crazy cool unique dance battles. It has boring battles and few effects are actually entertaining to watch. Those that are could easily be GIF'd.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Well, the idea was to make something EVERYONE could enjoy. Hence, speed-running strats for those like me, and all the dialogue for those playing for the first time, and two different versions to accomodate people that liked screenshot and video...

Also, when did I throw a fit? If I came off that way, could you please point to the text that came off that way, that way I'll learn not to say the things that misrepresented me?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fionordequester posted:

But, if you really don't want me to LP this game...than alright.
I'll be straight up honest, I don't give a gently caress. I try to ask this of the people who go the subtitle route. "Why are you using subtitles."

So again, I don't care, I'm not even following the current FF7 LP, but I want you to have an idea why so your LP can be better. Honestly, to me, a simple "I really like this game" is more then a sufficient answer for me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fionordequester posted:

Well, the idea was to make something EVERYONE could enjoy. Hence, speed-running strats for those like me, and all the dialogue for those playing for the first time, and two different versions to accomodate people that liked screenshot and video...

But if you do that, you not only spread yourself thin, but you lack focus. You need to accept that not everyone is going to like your LP and learn to live with it.

Also, I call bullshit on your Asperger's, as you don't even know how to spell it. And even if you do, don't you loving use it as an excuse.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Fionordequester posted:

That's a quick way to make it a complete mash of poo poo nobody cares about. Pare it down to one thing and focus on that. Since speedrunning is the thing you seem to be interested in, focus on that. I'm likening this to the Let's Break threads: show us something cool or crazy that we've never seen about a game we've played so much. Wow us. If this really does boil down to you pressing buttons as fast as possible, paring down your inputs and running in the most efficient straight lines then I'd rather go stare at frame data for a fighting game.

If you know a way to skip an entire disc by using a potion on Aeris while she's at max HP while fighting on a plateau, I dunno, show us that? This is an RPG, not an action game. Smooth and extremely successful inputs are boring as hell to watch. Nobody cares how fast you can cast a spell, people want to see you crash the Highwind into a time flux and ruin the planet. I know nothing about FFVII speedrunning and you apparently do. Show me something cool that I've never seen, not the game's intro or a description of the options screen.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

Volume posted:

I'll be straight up honest, I don't give a gently caress.

Very much this. I also don't read the current ff7 thread, mostly because I'm just not interested in the FF games all that much, but the sandcastle thread isn't about telling you yes/no to LP something, and you really shouldn't ask or count on being told you should or shouldn't lp something in here. It's just supposed to be for critique and getting help improving. If you don't want to do this, don't do it. If you do want to do it, do it. Just don't expect a miraculous and divine reception to your LP based on your already pretty poo poo reputation here.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

But if you do that, you not only spread yourself thin, but you lack focus. You need to accept that not everyone is going to like your LP and learn to live with it.
Also, I call bullshit on your Asperger's, as you don't even know how to spell it. And even if you do, don't you loving use it as an excuse.

1) Right. It seems I'll have to do just that. Thanks for the advice.

2) It wasn't meant to be an excuse, I just thought it might've helped put my bumbling in perspective. I didn't want to reveal it until now, because I didn't want any special treatment or anything (in fact, I absolutely hate it when that happens), but given how events on this forum have gone so far, I thought it would be better if you all at least had somewhat of an explanation beyond just "idiot".

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

Like sentrygun said, there's no reason to do it in video. If the boss battles in the game looked like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjFEEEBAPhs

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMVyMyFpMyY

Doing videos would be understandable. But they don't. So don't do videos.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

Doing videos would be understandable. But they don't. So don't do videos.

Videos of RPG fights are going to be boring; Lance is right on the money here. I've only ever included them as a bonus video, such as the Culex and solo Yaridovich fights from my SMRPG LP, but don't show us the fight in video, unless you hate us.

And you don't hate us, do you? :ohdear:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

Videos of RPG fights are going to be boring; Lance is right on the money here. I've only ever included them as a bonus video, such as the Culex and solo Yaridovich fights from my SMRPG LP, but don't show us the fight in video, unless you hate us.

And you don't hate us, do you? :ohdear:

I don't hate you. This trip to Something Awful has been nothing but an attempt at self-improvement since the very beginning, since I CERTAINLY wouldn't have spent 10$ if I didn't think I could get something of value here. And for whatever bruise to my ego I might have gotten, I've gotten even more helpful criticism...

Although, to be honest, now I'm kind of confused. People say that there's no audience for Video LP's of RPG's such as this, but then why do I see so many views on the various video LP's of precisely those games? I hate to boil it down to just "dumb and stupid masses", but, from what I've seen, you guys are the best that I know of, so...it's confusing to me.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Fionordequester posted:

I don't hate you. This trip to Something Awful has been nothing but an attempt at self-improvement since the very beginning, since I CERTAINLY wouldn't have spent 10$ if I didn't think I could get something of value here. And for whatever bruise to my ego I might have gotten, I've gotten even more helpful criticism...

Although, to be honest, now I'm kind of confused. People say that there's no audience for Video LP's of RPG's such as this, but then why do I see so many views on the various video LP's of precisely those games?

Because youtube is terrible and youtube LP fans will watch anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Suspicious Dish posted:

It'd be an interesting aside but not worthy of an entire LP by itself. Lord knows I wouldn't try to carry an entire LP with my Low Level game.

Fionordequester posted:

For the first two, we have Elentor's LP. He used Omnislash with a Nail Bat you know. For the third, FF7 is not a good game for videos.

What are you offering me Elentor isn't?

sentrygun posted:

I know nothing about FFVII speedrunning and you apparently do. Show me something cool that I've never seen, not the game's intro or a description of the options screen.

The record time is seven hours and forty-one minutes and looking at the summary of each segment, it actually is just efficient inputs.

• Locked thread