Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

factorialite posted:

Country/Provider: Indianapolis, IN

Current contract status: My wife and I are on her parent's Sprint Plan and she's eligible for a new phone. We aren't going to leave that plan under basically any circumstances, it makes sense to stay with Sprint and with this plan. It's Everything Data + 1500 minutes (a number we never come close to approaching; it's essentially unlimited).

Budget (phone/plan): We aren't opposed to spending money, but we're not looking to break the bank. Probably $100 is the limit (my wife is eligible for a $200 credit or whatever for not getting a phone for 2 years).

Features I know I want: My wife basically wants a great calendar, facebook, GPS, lists, and pictures (looking and taking them). She also wants something easy to use. We're not opposed to iPhones, but we've never really used Apple products before.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can probably find a good deal on a Galaxy S3 and get that for $100 or maybe even less. Check sprint, best buy, RadioShack, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

You can probably find a good deal on a Galaxy S3 and get that for $100 or maybe even less. Check sprint, best buy, RadioShack, etc.
Amazon has them for $100 right now.

Graviolies
Mar 23, 2004

I have a pretty specific question regarding employer discounts. My employer currently has a 15% discount through Sprint, and I've been eyeing the Note 2 extremely hard. The only problem is that if I get the phone through Amazon rather than the sprint store I'd save about $140 off of the phone with a contract, but I'm not sure if I could apply my employer discount. Would I be able to apply my discount to my plan later if I bought it and the phone through Amazon, or would I need to purchase them through Sprint?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Graviolies posted:

I have a pretty specific question regarding employer discounts. My employer currently has a 15% discount through Sprint, and I've been eyeing the Note 2 extremely hard. The only problem is that if I get the phone through Amazon rather than the sprint store I'd save about $140 off of the phone with a contract, but I'm not sure if I could apply my employer discount. Would I be able to apply my discount to my plan later if I bought it and the phone through Amazon, or would I need to purchase them through Sprint?

You can still go to sprint and have your discount applied, just FYI it may take 2 billing cycles to hit your account t instead of instantly on there. That's about $20 total you would be missing, so I wouldn't fret it too much. Just a general reminder that amazon has you sign a second contract saying you will keep the plan for 6 months. Nothing crazy, just always good to know. So yeah, order from amazon.

Also, that the 15% goes off the base plan, so expect $10.50 per month off the individual plan long term.

Don't bother going into a sprint store, just verify online. Its very likely the rep will be an rear end in a top hat and tell you to do that anyway. Sprint.com/verify

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Duckman2008 posted:

Just a general reminder that amazon has you sign a second contract saying you will keep the plan for 6 months. Nothing crazy, just always good to know. So yeah, order from amazon.

I think most 3rd party vendors do. Newegg did the same to me way back when I got my WiMax Evo.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Country/Provider: USA

Current contract status: Verizon - still on my mom's family plan for the unlimited data and eligible for a phone upgrade.

Basically, I'd like to get a Galaxy S3 and keep the unlimited data if possible, but I've never bought a phone outside of Verizon. What are my options and where are some good places to look? Also, what should I watch out for to make sure I don't get something I can't use with Verizon? I've seen the selling/trading phones thread here and wouldn't be opposed to buying a used phone, but I have no idea how that works on the Verizon side with getting the phone switched over to my number/info/plan.

e: I should mention, I'm not dead-set on an S3.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 16, 2013

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Just a general reminder that amazon has you sign a second contract saying you will keep the plan for 6 months. Nothing crazy, just always good to know. So yeah, order from amazon.
Amazon's 6-month ETF does not apply to Sprint users.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

Current contract status: Verizon - still on my mom's family plan for the unlimited data and eligible for a phone upgrade.

Basically, I'd like to get a Galaxy S3 and keep the unlimited data if possible, but I've never bought a phone outside of Verizon. What are my options and where are some good places to look? Also, what should I watch out for to make sure I don't get something I can't use with Verizon? I've seen the selling/trading phones thread here and wouldn't be opposed to buying a used phone, but I have no idea how that works on the Verizon side with getting the phone switched over to my number/info/plan.

Basically you have to buy outright or buy used. Check craigist, eBay and SA Mart. The phone will have a ESN or MEID that has to be clear to be activated on Verizon.

3 requirements:
Official Verizon branded phone
Not reported lost or stolen
Not currently on an account

If you buy from someone on Craigslist, best bet is to just meet them at a Verizon store. Otherwise, price wise is hard to guess, I would think you could get a S3 for $300 ish currently used.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

This is relevant to your interests.

Graviolies
Mar 23, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

You can still go to sprint and have your discount applied, just FYI it may take 2 billing cycles to hit your account t instead of instantly on there. That's about $20 total you would be missing, so I wouldn't fret it too much. Just a general reminder that amazon has you sign a second contract saying you will keep the plan for 6 months. Nothing crazy, just always good to know. So yeah, order from amazon.

Also, that the 15% goes off the base plan, so expect $10.50 per month off the individual plan long term.

Don't bother going into a sprint store, just verify online. Its very likely the rep will be an rear end in a top hat and tell you to do that anyway. Sprint.com/verify

Awesome, everything I hoped to hear. Thanks a ton!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
USA/Verizon

I am trying to choose between a Motorola Razr I can get on Amazon for a penny, and a LG Intuition I can get for $99 at the Verizon store.

The Razr seems to do everything I would need, but the Intuition is so huge and also had NFC. It's reviews are pretty mixed though. Both have Ice Cream Sandwich, but I want to know my phone can or will get the latest Jellybean. Also I can't tell which phone will have the more annoying vendor software, and which will have the better battery.

I'm leaning towards the Razr because of cost, but the Intuition looks so cool with a giant screen, and the cat and office nfc stickers are cool. Is there anyone who has that who really loves it?

Ideally I'd love to just get a Note but there's no way I'm spending that much money. I have a Droid X2 at the moment and want my screen at least as big as that, preferably bigger.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't buy an LG with software written by LG.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
  • Country/Provider:
    USA, AT&T + Comcast

• Current contract status:
    Cell phone: AT&T family plan, $0
    Landline: Comcast, $44 per month

• Budget (phone/plan):
    Much less than $44? /mo., to justify dumping Comcast

• Features I know I want:
    Make phone calls without a computer
    Cheap

The AT&T cell signal in my home is awful (but it's fine elsewhere). Sometimes 2 bars, occasionally none at all. But I'm on a family plan with my sister for free, so I won't switch to Verizon. I've been using Comcast's digital voice phone for years. But every couple months I have to call Comcast and play the pricing shell game to keep my bill low. Now I'm paying $101 for Internet & phone. No TV. I'm tired of this bullshit.

So I want to get a Skype Number and try Skype as my primary phone. I've made calls by computer with Skype credits before and the quality was good enough for me. But I really don't want to leave my desktop computer on all day, for its health and my electric bill.

So what are my options?

a) If I go to an AT&T store and complain, could they give me a device or something to make my cell phone (LG Xenon) not crap anymore?

b) Get a Skype phone number and a Skype phone which doesn't need a computer. Trouble is, Amazon reiews for these devices are mixed. I'm not sure how well it'll work, and they cost a lot. I reckon I can give it a shot, but it'll cost me.

c) Use my cheap netbook for Skype on my wifi, plugged in all day, with a USB headset or handset thing. I can unplug the netbook and carry it around, but that would be inconvenient, and it'll put strain on the netbook, which I like and don't intend to replace soon.

d) Call Comcast billing and tell them about a)-c). Tell them I'm serious this time. Maybe they'll lower the bill? But if they don't, might they also try to retaliate by making my internet sucky? They are the hi-speed internet king in my area. :tinfoil:

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 17, 2013

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
If the signal is only bad in your house, call up AT&T and complain and they might send you a microcell.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Country/Provider: Germany, O2

Current contract status: Cell: "O2O", 1 month duration contract + 5gb of data

Budget (phone/plan): plan stays, phone is pretty much unlimited

Features I know I want: Tethering, micro-usb charger, physical keyboard (probably impossible), recent Android version preferred, completely encryptable, good battery life, reasonably fast if need be.

I'm using a N900 right now but it's slowly dying and can't run Android apps which is a bit annoying. It's also slow as hell.

HCross
Jun 17, 2003
College Slice
Country/Provider: T-mobile

Contract: Prepaid

Budget: If the phone is awesome enough, $100+

I am looking for a dumb phone for my dad, the only real necessities are good reception and a good speakerphone, things like a camera are secondary. He doesn't have incredibly fine motor control and his attempts to send texts on my iPhone were hilarious at best, which is why I shy away from smartphones with touch screens, he's a machine with t9 though. This is kind of vague, but he's been through three garbage phones he's bought on the cheap from the tmobile store and is tired of 'learning a new phone' every six months.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Country/Provider: Verizon
Contract: Postpaid
Budget: Whatever
Features: Android, better battery life than my Gnex, good camera

I get annual upgrades through work and am eligible for an upgrade in a few weeks. My friend is demoing the HTC DNA or whatever and it's pretty drat big, though the screen is nice. I didn't like the power button on the top (now used to the samsung way of things) either. I like the S3, but it seems almost silly to me to get a phone that's been out for a while. Anything coming out in a few months that looks ridiculous? I'm not a power user so I'd probably love the S3 anyway so maybe that's just what I'll end up getting.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Nevermind. Narrowed it down based on what's offered and other answers in this thread.

Thanks, goon hivemind. :)

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 24, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Current:
Country/Provider: US - Verizon
Current contract status: Prepaid ($0.15/minute calls any time & $0.10 texts - send/receive)
Budget (phone/plan): ^$50
Features I know I want: Take pictures and transfer them to my computer

I'm looking at the AT & T Fusion GoPhone Prepaid package - $25/month which, according to them:

quote:

Unlimited nationwide text, picture/sound/video messages plus 250 minutes of calling in US per month. Calls over 250 minutes are charged at 10c/minute. Smartphone users must add a Data package to use Data services with this plan. Unlimited text to Mexico, Canada and over 100 countries.

I don't plan on using the phone for emails or web surfing, so I don't think I'll need a data package. Of course, I don't know dick about smartphones, so I could be wrong.

To give you and idea of how little I use my phone, I've only used this one (a cheapo flipper) jut 69.5 hours in the past seven years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Current:
Country/Provider: US - Verizon
Current contract status: Prepaid ($0.15/minute calls any time & $0.10 texts - send/receive)
Budget (phone/plan): ^$50
Features I know I want: Take pictures and transfer them to my computer

I'm looking at the AT & T Fusion GoPhone Prepaid package - $25/month which, according to them:

I don't plan on using the phone for emails or web surfing, so I don't think I'll need a data package. Of course, I don't know dick about smartphones, so I could be wrong.

To give you and idea of how little I use my phone, I've only used this one (a cheapo flipper) jut 69.5 hours in the past seven years.

AT&Ts prepaid android phones are all meh, to say the least. If you are going to pay for a monthly plan, grab a used TMobile phone and get the TMobile $30 a month plan, it gets you 100 mins, unlimited text and 5GB of data.

Phone wise you could get a Nexus S for likely dirt cheap (just make sure it has TMobile frequencies), or get a Galaxy Nexus. If you can find an iPhone 4 for cheap enough used that also has a pretty good camera and would match what you are looking for.

Only reason not to is if TMobile coverage blows in your area.

MalkSticks
Dec 24, 2010
Country/Provider: Australia - Looking more towards Telstra due to coverage / familiarity (I hear they all have terrible service), but otherwise don't care.

Current contract status: Prepaid.

Budget (phone/plan): $300 if really worth it, probably more like $200-$250.

Features I know I want: Crisp screen, ability to run Skype etc. without freezing, multitouch.

I don't use this phone too much, so I put off getting a fancy one for a long time, but I've reached that point where its cheapness has just gone too far. I'd like a low-mid range phone that doesn't make me want to hurl it into a wall every time I try to load an app.
Don't mind importing if possible, but I have no idea how and if you can go about putting a sim from here in an overseas phone.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Just cracked the screen on my SGS2 and am thinking about getting a Nexus 4 or Galaxy Note 2.

Q: What phone should I buy?

- United States, AT&T, already have service.
- Good screen resolution required, I'd like a larger screen as well.
- Must be an Android smartphone.
- Must be fairly easy to root and flash custom ROMs. CM10 would be the ROM I prefer.
- I'm not due for an upgrade until May, but I am pretty sure that I can finagle an early upgrade price due to my service history (been with AT&T for 15+ years). My budget is ~$350.

Thanks in advance, goons!

Edit: I heard some good things about the HTC One X Plus just now from a friend who works AT&T retail. Anyone have one of those? I'd also like good battery life.

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 25, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
For CM10 support go for a Nexus 4, or possibly a Galaxy S 3. Those are by far the best two supported devices.

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
Can anyone tell me what's the best pay as you go deal in the UK at the moment for someone who isn't planning on making a lot of calls/texts but would still like to use the internet occasionally?

I have an oldish Sony Ericsson that I would like to keep around for less than a dozen short calls per month.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

RFX posted:

Country/Provider: USA AT&T

Current contract status: Eligible for an upgrade; have an iPhone unlimited plan grandfathered, would like to keep if I can switch to Android

Budget (phone/plan): On family plan, so not changing that; willing to spend $200 or so on the phone

Features I know I want: 4G/LTE

I really like the idea of the Samsung Galaxy S3, but I feel it's just way too big. I like the look/size of the HTC Windows Phone 8x and iPhone 4 a lot more. I also heard that I may be able to switch to an unlimited smartphone data plan (according to the guy at the Microsoft store trying to sell me the 8x). However, I'd prefer to switch to Android and avoid Windows phones (unless there's a really good reason to switch to that).

I'd like to bump this request, my girlfriend is currently going through almost exactly this situation.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

for sale posted:

I'd like to bump this request, my girlfriend is currently going through almost exactly this situation.

You keep your data plan regardless of the smartphone you get. The only good Android phones are the S3, note 2 and HTC One X+. And personally, HTC has been very evidentially having quality control issues lately. So I would say S3, or reconsider an iPhone 5.

Can't emphasize enough, any "small/regular" size android phone on AT&T is not that great.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 27, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Can't emphasize enough, any "small/regular" size android phone on AT&T is not that great.
The only one on any carrier that's not completely terrible is the Verizon DFOID RAZRM.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
I'm need in an AT&T non-smartphone. I have no interest in upgrading to a data plan. I used an iPhone 3 that was given to me for two years without a data plan and loved it. Last month AT&T finally caught on and forced a data plan on my account, which I promptly cancelled and now I'm using some buggy Samsung Impression that sometimes refuses to send text messages and locks up for several seconds. I'd love to use a smartphone without a data plan because they are generally less buggy and I can access wifi on them, but I'm not interested in paying for data every month.

What are my options? I just want something that isn't buggy and has a big/clear enough display that I can view pictures.

Also what's up with the bullshit policy of mandatory data plans? I got around just fine relying on wifi.

vulgarghost
Oct 18, 2002

mr youse neednt be so spry

vanbags posted:

I'm need in an AT&T non-smartphone. I have no interest in upgrading to a data plan. I used an iPhone 3 that was given to me for two years without a data plan and loved it. Last month AT&T finally caught on and forced a data plan on my account, which I promptly cancelled and now I'm using some buggy Samsung Impression that sometimes refuses to send text messages and locks up for several seconds. I'd love to use a smartphone without a data plan because they are generally less buggy and I can access wifi on them, but I'm not interested in paying for data every month.

What are my options? I just want something that isn't buggy and has a big/clear enough display that I can view pictures.

Also what's up with the bullshit policy of mandatory data plans? I got around just fine relying on wifi.

Seconding this, I want a cheap-rear end prepaid plan that could use my Nexus S once I'm off contract with no data plan, I seriously use less than 100 min / month of talk time total but would like unlimited texts.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
The reason for a mandatory data plan for smartphones is because it makes them more money and they can do it. One possible solution is using Ting which is a Sprint reseller that has a "pay for what you use" model. However, you will need to purchase a new phone because it's Sprint (CDMA) and not GSM like AT&T. That phone will also be unsubsidized because it's prepaid. I think there's a Ting sign up bonus coupon if you check the prepaid thread.

Another option is the T-Mobile $30/month 5GB/100 minute/unlimited text. For vulgarghost unless you are living in an area where T-Mobile has put out their 1900mhz frequency to match AT&T's 3G/HSPA frequency you'll only get EDGE (~100 kpbs). You could ask in the T-Mobile thread if you live in an area, ask T-Mobile, or if you've seen billboards asking AT&T customers to switch you are good (I've seen them around Seattle).

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

vanbags posted:

You can get a straight talk att sim for your iphone and pay $45/mo prepaid for unlimited minutes texts and "unlimited" data (like 1-2gb).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vanbags posted:

You have two options. One is the straight talk / non ATT option like a few people have mentioned (not a bad option itself). Otherwise you can buy a non US based smartphone and pop your SIM card into it. Anything GSM and non ATT will do the trick for the most part. Research that and I think you will find what you want.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I'm in NYC, on Verizon as part of a family plan, but my line's contract is up and I'm looking to get off of it and onto my own plan.

I currently have a broken old Droid Incredible but I think I want to switch off of Android to iOS. I know Android has gotten better in the last few years, but still I'd like to have an iPhone for games and texts with my iPhone-having friends. I think a 4/4S would be fine, and would be fine with a used phone if I could find a reliable source and it was cheaper.

What makes this difficult is that I use very little minutes/texts/data. Over the last 6 months, I use about 35 minutes/month (peak 53), 233 texts/month (peak 756, no idea what went on there), and 105 MB/month (peak 240; I'm usually on wifi at work and home).

So it doesn't seem like an $80/mo plan from Verizon or ATT is worthwhile, but at the same time I'm reading mixed reviews (which may or may not be accurate) about trying to use iPhones on prepaid plans.

What kind of plan should I get? Am I being dumb by restricting myself to iPhones? And if I should get a phone somewhere other than my provider, where?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Scythe posted:

I'm in NYC, on Verizon as part of a family plan, but my line's contract is up and I'm looking to get off of it and onto my own plan.

I currently have a broken old Droid Incredible but I think I want to switch off of Android to iOS. I know Android has gotten better in the last few years, but still I'd like to have an iPhone for games and texts with my iPhone-having friends. I think a 4/4S would be fine, and would be fine with a used phone if I could find a reliable source and it was cheaper.

What makes this difficult is that I use very little minutes/texts/data. Over the last 6 months, I use about 35 minutes/month (peak 53), 233 texts/month (peak 756, no idea what went on there), and 105 MB/month (peak 240; I'm usually on wifi at work and home).

So it doesn't seem like an $80/mo plan from Verizon or ATT is worthwhile, but at the same time I'm reading mixed reviews (which may or may not be accurate) about trying to use iPhones on prepaid plans.

What kind of plan should I get? Am I being dumb by restricting myself to iPhones? And if I should get a phone somewhere other than my provider, where?

Grab a refurb 4S from somewhere and pop it on Straight Talk. $45 a month, unlimited talk and text, 1GB of data a month. That should work really well for you. It goes off of ATT coverage wise.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Country/Provider: USA/AT&T (but see below)
Phone: iPhone 4

I'm not sure where to ask this, so I'll do it here; somebody please redirect me otherwise. :respek: A Google search is only returning a bunch of about.com type garbage, and I figure goons' opinions have a bit more substance.

I'm going to London the last week of February to visit some friends. I know there are international upgrades available, but those seem a tad excessive.

Rumor has it there are iPhone SIM cards I can buy over there; is that the better option? Or, since this is London, can I rely on WiFi? Would be nice to have access to a maps app.

As for texting/calling, I don't anticipate doing much, if any of either, unless I get separated from my friends.

Is the best option just to buy a prepaid when I'm over there, and keep my iPhone on airplane mode?

Thanks. As you can tell, I'm clearly not well-versed in this sort of thing.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 29, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The SARS Volta posted:

Country/Provider: USA/AT&T (but see below)
Phone: iPhone 4

I'm not sure where to ask this, so I'll do it here; somebody please redirect me otherwise. :respek: A Google search is only returning a bunch of about.com type garbage, and I figure goons' opinions have a bit more substance.

I'm going to London the last week of February to visit some friends. I know there are international upgrades available, but those seem a tad excessive.

Rumor has it there are iPhone SIM cards I can buy over there; is that the better option? Or, since this is London, can I rely on WiFi? Would be nice to have access to a maps app.

As for texting/calling, I don't anticipate doing much, if any of either, unless I get separated from my friends.

Is the best option just to buy a prepaid when I'm over there, and keep my iPhone on airplane mode?

Thanks. As you can tell, I'm clearly not well-versed in this sort of thing.

If you are out of contract ATT will unlock your phone so you can toss in a prepaid SIM card. Call them and ask either way, the worst they would say is no. Popping in a prepaid SIM card for your iPhone is the best option.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are out of contract ATT will unlock your phone so you can toss in a prepaid SIM card. Call them and ask either way, the worst they would say is no. Popping in a prepaid SIM card for your iPhone is the best option.

I just checked — my contract ends the day I return from London. How's that for timing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The SARS Volta posted:

I just checked — my contract ends the day I return from London. How's that for timing?

Haha that blows. Still worth calling ATT and asking.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Country/Provider: US/None

Current contract status: Nothing

Budget (phone/plan): Hopefully $50 or so? Nothing too expensive

Features I know I want: I have an international HTC Incredible S, and I'm traveling to the US for about 2 weeks (specifically New England with a few days in NYC). I'd like to find some type of sim card I can just throw in there. Data is nice but not necessary. Last year when I spent a few months in LA, I did a prepaid thing with some AT&T reseller and it was terrible and cost ~$50 per month.

What are my options here? Is there any kind of prepaid sim card that I can just put like $50 on with no contract whatsoever? I couldn't find something last time I was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MeramJert posted:

Country/Provider: US/None

Current contract status: Nothing

Budget (phone/plan): Hopefully $50 or so? Nothing too expensive

Features I know I want: I have an international HTC Incredible S, and I'm traveling to the US for about 2 weeks (specifically New England with a few days in NYC). I'd like to find some type of sim card I can just throw in there. Data is nice but not necessary. Last year when I spent a few months in LA, I did a prepaid thing with some AT&T reseller and it was terrible and cost ~$50 per month.

What are my options here? Is there any kind of prepaid sim card that I can just put like $50 on with no contract whatsoever? I couldn't find something last time I was there.

Tmobile has a $30 plan for 100 mins, unlimited text and 5GB of data. Straight talk is $45 a month for unlimited talk, text and 1GB of data (goes off of att). Your phone would likely work mostly on 2G for tmobile, so straight talk off of att might work better for you.

You can get either at any Walmart.