Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Welp, the snippets off the new Project Pitchfork album BLACK sound loving amazing :supaburn:

Seems like Spilles really needed the short pause from Pitchfork. Although it had a couple of really strong tracks, I thought Quantum Mechanics was a disappointingly mediocre and worryingly formulaic album after Continuum Ride which is probably my favorite Pitchfork album, but this sounding completely different, fresh, exciting and absolutely incredible again and might well end up being one of Spilles' best albums. I personally can not loving wait to get my hands on this :flashfap:
I have the limited edition on order :(

I'm so their bitch.

But yeah, I actually wasn't interested until I heard the samples. Also I'm pretty sure Quantum Mechanics was basically outtakes or leftovers from a session that included Continuum Ride and Dream, Tiresias!. They're similar enough and even all the art/photography basically looks like it was done in a single batch.

edit: Project Pitchfork might not even be my favourite band per se, but they release so much god damned music they'll forever be at the top of my last.fm charts.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Oh quiet. Quantum Mechanics is still better than most artists entire libraries.

Though I will admit I am still waiting for something as world shattering as Wonderland/One Million Faces was for me.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

Welp, the snippets off the new Project Pitchfork album BLACK sound loving amazing :supaburn:

Seems like Spilles really needed the short pause from Pitchfork. Although it had a couple of really strong tracks, I thought Quantum Mechanics was a disappointingly mediocre and worryingly formulaic album after Continuum Ride which is probably my favorite Pitchfork album, but this sounding completely different, fresh, exciting and absolutely incredible again and might well end up being one of Spilles' best albums. I personally can not loving wait to get my hands on this :flashfap:

Not bad there are definitely a few tracks on there I really like. I'll be picking this one up.

On a side note. I finished a new music video for a track on my past industrial album. Feedback is always welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzlS70pSirU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
KMFDM dates in the UK:

code:
WED 17TH APRIL - BRISTOL, UK, FLEECE
THU 18TH APRIL - GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, CLASSIC GRAND
FRI 19TH APRIL - NOTTINGHAM, UK, ROCK CITY - Rescue Rooms
SAT 20TH APRIL - LONDON, UK, O2 ACADEMY ISLINGTON
SUN 21ST APRIL - MANCHESTER, UK, ACADEMY 3 

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

SEE YOU FUCKERS ON THE 21ST

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK

Kinetik so far:

quote:

Ayria / Cenotype
Decoded Feedback
Displacer
Encephalon
FGFC820
Gothsicles
Nitronoise
PROJECT MOTHERFUCKING PITCHFORK
Pröjekt F
Suicide Commando
Terrorfakt
Tonikom

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Wish I could make it, they were amazing at Infest a few years ago and easily worth the entrance fee.

Also Gothsicles, Terrorfakt and Tonikom. Amazing line-up! I definitely recommend hanging out with Brian from Gothsicles if you get the chance, super nice guy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

teethgrinder posted:

OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK

Kinetik so far:

AAAAA that looks incredible. Wish I was going.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Often when an act as big as Pitchfork plays Kinetik, they swing by Toronto too before buggering off. I wish I could know sooner than later. It's so difficult for me to get to Montreal for a variety of reasons nowadays. I may have to figure this out.

I'd like to see the Gothsicles too, but I've seen all the other bands I really want to at least once.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

OHFUCKOHFUCKOHFUCK

Kinetik so far:

:drat: Have fun (you know you're going. You ARE going)! Pitchfork is The Best Live Band.

Also re: KMFDM: I hope there's a loving Finnish date for once. They last played here like five years ago and, of course, I was in Germany then to catch a festival so I couldn't go even though I'd already bought tickets. Grr.

There are also snippets of all the tracks on KUNST available. They sound exactly, 100% like solid KMFDM material which, seeing as I've even liked all the new albums, should get me excited, but I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo for some reason. I'm honestly shocked by myself because I've always thought of myself as a rabid KMFDM fan. Why is nothing happening? What is going on? Have I somehow outgrown KMFDM since WTF?! which I thought was an excellent album but haven't really listened to at all after the first couple of weeks?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 16, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

They sound exactly, 100% like solid KMFDM material

This is exactly the reason. It's formulaic kmfdm. Still gonna go see them because come the gently caress on, it's kmfdm, but you know.

I'd go to see Funker Vogt in a heart beat because historically they mean a great deal to me. I'd probably still call them one of my favourites, but you couldn't pay me to give a poo poo about anything they've put out for the past 10 years because of your reasons for not caring about new kmfdm. Don't worry about it.

I've complained about them before, but I mean, listen to Date of Expiration (2002) and then Hard Way (2012). The latter is like an elaborate loving joke. Argh it makes me really angry. We're talking about a band who produced this bit of wonder and a fantastic cover of a Madness song!

:negative: I don't get it.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 16, 2013

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
As somebody who has most of KMFDM's discography up until WWIII, I'm not that thrilled about the new album. It's KMFDM, yes, but half of it sounds completely recycled or b-sides from previous albums. They really should call it a day and do some more MDFMK, or at least anything with Skold involved.

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho
I'm seeing KMFDM in Chicago and Milwaukee in March; have been a raging fan for 15+ years, but this is my first opportunity to get to a show. KUNST sounds (so far) as if it uses a lot of leitmotifs from previous songs and albums -- nothing too new or experimental, but the same consistent quality I've more or less come to expect from them.

Hopefully will get to Kinetik, as well; the line-up looks stellar so far.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Iron Sky is now on Netflix.

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho

boo_radley posted:

Iron Sky is now on Netflix.

The only good thing about that movie is Laibach.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

leahlionheart posted:

The only good thing about that movie is Laibach.

I think it could do for Nazis on the Moon what Evil Dead 2 did for the undead. I think I started laughing when the Space Nazis were revealed to have vacuum hardened turtlenecks and helmets.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Yeah I noticed it and watched it other day. It's incredibly pretty and the soundtrack is great (well obviously). The only reason I even know about it's because of Laibach.

However I also found it very silly and stupid, it elicted about three or so laughs from me all-in-all. It seems very much like one of those "get stoned with friends and have fun" movies.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
A version of a track I did with Dean Garcia made it on an album with Chibi from Birthday Massacre! :dance: I havent been online much last year so I didn't know he had finished it.

http://deangarcia.bandcamp.com/album/das-haus-volume-one

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know if it's the samples, or if the production is actually kind of crappy, but holy gently caress do I otherwise love those tracks. Thanks for posting it, and your contribution was great.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Daniel Graves is doing a DJ set at club NORAD in Denver tonight. There's about 18 or so people here right now, it feels like an awesome living room party.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
New KMFDM album snippets are 100% exactly what I pictured in my head when I read "new KMFDM album snippets".

Irony is I'll still be giving Sascha my money.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Irony is I'll still be giving Sascha my money.

Yeah I guess I won't. Not anymore. Maybe I'll grab a digital copy if their EU tour extends to Finland or something.

Here's something I can get excited about, though:

FLA on Twitter posted:

New demos are sounding like the heaviest electronic we've ever done vs. the most melodic we've ever done #NewFLASummer

ever since AirMech came out I've had this weird urge to give Leeb all of my loving money

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 20, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

It was the most exciting tweet I've ever seen I've never retweeted something harder than I retweeted that tweet. :toot: I'm excited. More like Airmech please. Less like IED please.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Really? I wasn't impressed with Airmech. Sonically, it's strong and all, but I find it very well interchangeable with any video game or sci-fi soundtrack I've heard over the past 5 years. Also it just sounds to me like what it is - FLA instrumentals.

I think playing it with the game it would be very cool, but for me to just sit and listen to from start to end is too repetitive. You guys hyped it up too much for me, drat it.

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 20, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

You guys hyped it up too much for me, drat it.
This is exactly what happened to me haha.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

For me it's listening to it with the context of IED. They're my favourite artist by far and they were dead to me with IED. For them to come out with something of the calibre of Airmech was absurdly exciting more than anything else.

It's not what it was, it's who it was.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Really? I wasn't impressed with Airmech. Sonically, it's strong and all, but I find it very well interchangeable with any video game or sci-fi soundtrack I've heard over the past 5 years. Also it just sounds to me like what it is - FLA instrumentals.

I think playing it with the game it would be very cool, but for me to just sit and listen to from start to end is too repetitive. You guys hyped it up too much for me, drat it.

I dunno man, it just sounds like we've listened to completely different albums. Literally none of these - especially the interchangeability with other soundtracks part - apply to the AirMech I know and love, in my opinion v:shobon:v

And I could say I'm sorry I hyped up the album too much, but I won't because I had no choice but to write whatever drivel I posted here. I stand behind my words, every single one of them :colbert:

e: Then again, my favorite FLA album (well, after AirMech, I guess) is still Civilization and I don't recall anyone else here thinking it was anything special. I think there's some similarities in the atmospheres of both of those albums that just click with me in a way no other FLA album does.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 20, 2013

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Oh yah, I've said a few times I think Civilization IS one of their best albums, totally agreed. There's tons of lush melody and they kinda dropped the angry cyborg thing for that album. I think someone here said it almost started to drift into Delirium territory at times, and I'd agree with that.

Though I haven't heard IED yet. Maybe I should skip it from what I'm reading here.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Civilisation was super disappointing for all of about a week. At which point you realise just how wonderful it is. It's no where near my favourite but I do rate it pretty highly.

For me Airmech feels similar because it's a huge departure for them, but I don't dislike the direction in anyway.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hey, whoever talked about Da Octopuss earlier in the thread, FYI they're playing at Infest this summer. I'm pretty excited, since they sound awesome.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNig8LfWuX8

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 25, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

2 minute track previews here: http://daoctopusss.bandcamp.com/

Sounds fab.

Undecided if I'm going to bother with Infest this year. 2012 looked like the beginning of it's imminent death. Resistanz is such a far better event, I just wish they had more (any) noise acts.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 25, 2013

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I genuinely don't understand the love for Resistanz over Infest, beyond than it being something new-ish and in a different venue - they seem equally good to me. It's now on a second year of comeback-band-with-no-new-album-in-years headliner. I mean, I really enjoyed last year and am going this year - but Icon of Coil hadn't released anything in about six years (and their last album didn't seem to hit the clubs as hard as the first two did) while Neuroticfish's last album was about seven years ago, and I don't remember them being that big a deal at the time. The kind of bands at both festivals aren't that different and they have had a fair few of the same bands, except for less rhythmic noise acts/more hardstyle DJ sets at Resistanz (which I guess is a part of why I preferred Infest on the whole last year).

Don't get me wrong, I think it's definitely an awesome thing that there are two festivals in the UK scene and I really enjoy and will go to both, but were I only able to go to one, I'd struggle to choose since there doesn't seem that much difference between the two aside from personal preference over bands.

Possibly, of course, I'm ten years too old for it all, and were I younger, Resistanz would be more my thing! (although tbh Kinetik has a better lineup than pretty much everything this year)

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Resistanz is just more fun IMO. Partly due to the higher number of people that go and partly due to the venue being more appropriate.

Infest hasn't been the same since the student union refurbishment. Everything used to feel so much more coherent and connected, it just doesn't feel like that anymore. It's kinda hard to explain, but Infest has started feeling less like a music festival and more like a all-the-goths-have-their-anually-nice-get-together.

Infest still has a much better line-up, like I said, no noise at Resistanz. I just find myself having far more fun at Resistanz now. I will say that for some reason people seem a lot more approachable at Resistanz, for the past few years I've had to go events alone (since the person I always went to stuff with moved to Belgium), I've found that so much easier at Resistanz. Infest is all little groups of inclusive people.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I guess I probably don't notice Infest being cliquey because I always meet up with the same bunch of people I know down there!

This is more goth than industrial, but the video is ace

http://youtu.be/2H6XpboQ7D8

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho
Are there actually any decent electro/industrial/noise/EBM/etc festivals in North America?

I'm trying to get to Kinetik, because Montreal is about 4 hours from my parents' home.

It's been with some chagrin that I've watched the EDM scene explode across the US the past few years; I was quite into trance/house/etc. about 15 years ago and got called every name in the book for my inclinations by the Dave Matthews crowd. There's no shortage of decent EDM festivals (populated by molly-eating college freshmen, woe, woe), but finding industrial stateside seems like quite a task.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

leahlionheart posted:

Are there actually any decent electro/industrial/noise/EBM/etc festivals in North America?

I'm trying to get to Kinetik, because Montreal is about 4 hours from my parents' home.

It's been with some chagrin that I've watched the EDM scene explode across the US the past few years; I was quite into trance/house/etc. about 15 years ago and got called every name in the book for my inclinations by the Dave Matthews crowd. There's no shortage of decent EDM festivals (populated by molly-eating college freshmen, woe, woe), but finding industrial stateside seems like quite a task.

There was a 3 day Trident Festival in NYC back in 2010 that I went to. There was talk of another one this year, but now I can't even find their website. Otherwise I've yet to ever see a festival in the US :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

There was a noise festival in up in Red Hook a few times I believe, but it was pretty much geared to power noise and performance art mixed in with the underground tape scene. For the most part, the states do not have a festival geared toward an EBM/Industrial/Electro scene. The best one can hope for is to have one of the more mainstream acts show up on a Lollapalooza or SXSW bill. This was more common in the 90's, when a Ministry, God Lives Underwater, or Stabbing Westward might show up on a bill with some other angry bands. However, a full day (or multiple days) of goggles, glowsticks, and leather? Nope.

Geckolio
Feb 24, 2002

swallow that garbage
Check out this rad EBM from Melbourne I've been digging lately, very Front 242! All their stuff is up on their Soundcloud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psM2VQiVnq0

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

leahlionheart posted:

Kinetik was for sure the best regular festival in North America over the last ten years. Terminus Festival in Calgary looks promising too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

I'm super into this DA OCTOPUSSS now. Thier sound is so fantastic. Definitely recommend people give them more than a cursoury listen.