Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I got some really expensive instruments.

I still plan on getting a Squire tele or strat to round it all out.

Oi. What's wrong with Squier Teles? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Edmond Dantes posted:

Oi. What's wrong with Squier Teles? :colbert:

Nothing.

Hence why I plan on buying a Squire strat or tele. :)

Fender doesn't make a reasonably priced Tele with body binding. Squire does. B)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

muike posted:

It's not that solid states are poo poo, it's that solid state marshalls are poo poo. And from the sounds of what you want, I think you'd be pretty happy with a blues Jr. plus OD or distortion.
In the same sense that the 5150 is a one trick pony, the Jazz Chorus is, but on the other end of the spectrum.
I'd say try out the Blues Junior, see how you feel, maybe look at a hot rod deluxe. Try out a (100 watt) 5150 III too, just for kicks. They have surprisingly good cleans in addition to the crazy gain channels.
Gotcha. Any backstory on why Solid State Marshalls are particularly poo poo? Also, any info on what sort of upkeep tube amps need? I'm definitely going to try out a Blues Jr based on how many recommendations it's getting from all of you. I'll try out a 5150iii too, just so I'm doing my due dilligence, but the youtube clips I've seen so far have sounded kind of cheesy. (:ohdear: I'm dead now, aren't I. Dead as poo poo.) I've been messing around with some amp models in Amplitube to try and get a bit of an idea of what's out there and there's a couple of "Deluxe" models that I'm pretty fond of but I'm not sure if that's meant to be a Hot Rod Deluxe or not. Overall though, I actually really like the Bassman. It sounds exactly like what I was talking about earlier with that big, meaty bottom end.

Pricewise though, it looks like the Blues Jr is the cheapest out of the lot, although I found a Silverface Bassman head for $500 a couple of hours away. The Silverface models apparently don't break up as much as the earlier models, but would this be much of a problem for me if I'm going to be getting most of my fuzz from a pedal? I also found a Bassman pedal that looks interesting. Anyone got any experience with those? Maybe a Blues Jr with a Bassman pedal would be a good start towards the sound I'm looking for.

Xabi posted:

You can't go wrong with a Fender Blues junior, unless you're a metal boy. Also, forget about getting a Fender Twin Reverb (I saw someone talk about one earlier). When that thing is in the sweet spot it's so loud that it melts your ears.
This actually is a really good point, how many of these amps am I going to have to be cranking to get the best sound out of? I'm in a pretty dense apartment, so moderate volume is alright but it still is an apartment nonetheless and cranking an amp to 11 to get the right sound out of it isn't going to really fly. Do headphone jacks cut the signal to the speaker?

Schlieren posted:

Not really.

I'm reading this book and it's been really informative and helpful so far. It's actually spurred on some ideas on how to make my MusicMan better for practicing at home and improved my sound a bit. It also makes me appreciate the drat thing more and more, whereas before I started reading it I assumed I was going to find the opposite to be true.

Anyway, I think some serious research is going to net you what you want, if you take your time and look around you could probably even find a pretty good deal.

The book I linked even has a DIY design at the end that I'm just dying to try out some time.

This looks great. Any chance you've seen it for sale as an ebook download anywhere? I'm an impatient little bitch when it comes to waiting around for the Canadian Mail service.

Once again, thanks for all your help guys. I really think I'm starting to get a pretty good handle on what direction I want to be heading in.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There's no particular reason the Marshall MGs sound bad, they're just not good amps. They just sound bad. The valvestate Marshalls were pretty okay though. From the sounds of it, you really are looking for a Fender amp, whether it's a Blues Junior, HRD, or Bassman, and there's nothing wrong with a Bassman with more headroom.

As far as taking care of tube amps, just remember to let them warm up in standby for a bit before flipping it on.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

nrr posted:

This looks great. Any chance you've seen it for sale as an ebook download anywhere? I'm an impatient little bitch when it comes to waiting around for the Canadian Mail service.

Once again, thanks for all your help guys. I really think I'm starting to get a pretty good handle on what direction I want to be heading in.

Link has it for the Kindle.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

muike posted:

There's no particular reason the Marshall MGs sound bad, they're just not good amps. They just sound bad. The valvestate Marshalls were pretty okay though. From the sounds of it, you really are looking for a Fender amp, whether it's a Blues Junior, HRD, or Bassman, and there's nothing wrong with a Bassman with more headroom.

As far as taking care of tube amps, just remember to let them warm up in standby for a bit before flipping it on.

Is that it? What about replacing tubes? Is there any kind of maintenance required beyond, "let it warm up first?"

Warcabbit posted:

Link has it for the Kindle.

I must be blind then, I can see it for some of his other books, but the only format I see for this one is Paperback. Also, do you need a kindle to read kindle files, or can you grab some sort of viewer to let you read it on a pc?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If a tube blows or you need to replace them, you're gonna have to bias it, unless it's a self biasing amp. I don't know much about that though!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Right, so I'm gonna have to take it to a magical bias doctor or something then, I'm guessing. Got a ball park on how much that'd normally cost?

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

nrr posted:

I must be blind then, I can see it for some of his other books, but the only format I see for this one is Paperback. Also, do you need a kindle to read kindle files, or can you grab some sort of viewer to let you read it on a pc?
This is what I see. Maybe it's not showing up for you?

And yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a reader PCs.

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 16, 2013

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Many amps can easily be biased at home with a multimeter, just google "biasing" and whatever amp you end up getting and there's tons of videos on youtube showing you how it's done.

for example

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

nrr posted:

Is that it? What about replacing tubes? Is there any kind of maintenance required beyond, "let it warm up first?"

Tubes are mostly like any other electrical component - many of them are life-limited due to degradation (chemicals inside caps breaking down eventually, plastic resistors being heated and cooled thousands of times eventually going way out of spec, &c.). Combine this with the mechanical fragility (think of a really sturdy lightbulb basically), and you've got tubes. Little things like not putting casters on an amp, preferably using a padded case with casters instead, not bumping it a bunch.

When tubes are replaced from wearing out - my MusicMan from the 70s had the original power tubes in it until 2 years ago, so this can be a long time - or because you maybe want to try something else, they will need to be biased to the appropriate plate voltages for the circuit in the amp. This is not something a hobbyist can do nor should one try: there are capacitances inside an amplifier stored for indeterminate amounts of time, all of which are capable of killing a full-grown adult.

In some earlier amps with tube rectifiers, they didn't even need to be warmed up, as the circuit wouldn't begin to amplify a signal until the tubes were warmed up. Warming the tubes for 30 seconds or so is fine.

In terms of other maintenance, none is really required if you purchase a solid circuit design from a reputable manufacturer, and the amp sounds good and the components look to be in working order (nothing scorched, bubbled, cracked, &c.). I suppose keeping the cones on the speakers nice and dessicated if you live in a moist climate is a good idea to keep them from getting kind of bloated-sounding, but that applies to any speaker and is likely not something you nor I would notice one way or the other, at least until we really cranked the thing.

Older amps are a lot like older cars in that the simplicity of the designs allows one to make a more accurate "layman's" evaluation. Knowing some small stuff like being able to recognize a good solder weld, or different sorts of components - cap and speaker brands, resistor types, transformer manufacturers, &c. - can help you tell if an amp has been loved or not, but even if it hasn't that means it's just an opportunity for you to make it your own with quality upgrades over time.

The one thing I would caution you with any tube amp is that if it makes a weird sound or anything remotely out of the ordinary appears to be happening, the quicker you can get to it to turn it off, the better. Runaway circuits can be caused by any number of things happening and if you don't get to them in time - a matter of seconds - you run the risk of doing things like blowing capacitors (and the corrosive chemicals inside them) all over the inside of the delicate electronics.

But that's not something that's all that common. Once my original valves went - sort of a feedbacky squeal followed by no guitar + hiss - after slowly losing the ability to amplify over the course of a minute or so, I reached over and hit standby and then realized I was being dumb and turned the whole thing off, and it was fine later. I took it to an electronics shop who seriously botched the job initially, and even that didn't screw anything up terribly. Then I found Jeff @ Velvetone and it's been a love affair, a man and his MusicMan, TrueLoveForever...

edit: or / nor

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 17, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jeff Goldblum posted:

An injection post, if you will. Since I may start selling off some of my electric gear for space and fundage, I decided to dig up my acoustic so I'd still have a six-stringed friend around to love and cherish.

:barf: Man, did I ever take good care of this thing.
This Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo was my first cedar top, a bargain buy that I ruined fairly quickly after taking it to a couple outings. The top because its rife with millimeter thick dents from people having dropped keys on it and all sorts of horrible poo poo, and the microbe-thin nitrocellulose finish does nothing to protect my precious softwood.

Sup, Godin-factory-solid-cedar-top-with-tons-of-tiny-dents buddy. The first one was the worst...

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Pyrthas posted:

This is what I see. Maybe it's not showing up for you?

And yeah, I'm pretty sure there's a reader PCs.
Ahhh, yeah. Because I'm in Canadaland, apparently I'm not allowed to have nice things like instant ebook downloads. So after about a half an hour of trying to get around that and failing miserably, I had a quick look around and found something which some of you might be interested in: http://www.nookibooks.com/guitar-amplifier-handbook-understanding-tube-amplifiers-and-getting-great-sounds-softcover-p-2208.html

Same book, instant d/l, $7.49. Good talk.

Schlieren posted:

What is this, some kind of tube?
Thanks man, this is great.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Okay, the real reason why I felt I had to post. Dust and grime aside, LOOK AT THAT TUSQ. It's yellowed a LOT and its only been sitting in the case for a couple months. Not that I have a problem with it, it actually suits the rustic theme of the guitar. But, I feel like I'm going to have to figure out how to dress those frets or else replace them.

So, does the yellowing of the nut and bridge indicate some need to replace them?
Is it crucial to dress/replace these frets?
And these god drat dents, am I stuck with them for life? (Probably)

Tusq nuts and bridges naturally yellow with age and can turn that color if left in sunlight for extended periods. It's completely fine and doesn't mean it's wearing out or anything.

You're stuck with the dents so just think of them as just adding to the personality of your guitar. It could be a lot worse; Willie Nelson's guitar is basically held together by some kind of hippie magic and :catdrugs:

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I have a telecaster that has pretty cheap pickups in it right now. I decided I want to upgrade them, but I don't like the twangy telecaster sound. I'm wondering what sort of telecaster pickups would be good for fuzzy-alternative-rock type music.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Koth posted:

I have a telecaster that has pretty cheap pickups in it right now. I decided I want to upgrade them, but I don't like the twangy telecaster sound. I'm wondering what sort of telecaster pickups would be good for fuzzy-alternative-rock type music.

http://guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fatbody-Oversized-Polepiece-Tele-Bridge-Pickup_p_75.html

These are the best tele pickups I have ever heard, They can be twangy or almost humbuckerish if you want them to be. I put them in my Tele and I love them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Koth posted:

How much are you willing to spend and what kind of alternative rock are we talking? What kind of amp are you running through?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

muike posted:

How much are you willing to spend and what kind of alternative rock are we talking? What kind of amp are you running through?

I'm a big fan of Brian Aubert's sound (from Silversun Pickups), but I realize I won't be getting that kind of sound out of a telecaster. But it's a reference to the kind of guitar sound I'm attracted to.

I'm running a Fender Mustang III.

I'm willing to spend about ~$100 right now. I'm fine with just getting one pickup right now and upgrading the other later. But I would prefer to do both of them now.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah, it sounds like you'd be good with the GFS recommended, or maybe this set: http://guitarfetish.com/Calibrated-Pickup-Set-Modern-Vintage-Lil-Puncher-Import-Telecaster_p_150.html

I'm a big fan of DiMarzios, so if you only really care about the bridge pickup, you might want to look at the Tone Z T, Super Distortion T, Chopper T, or Fast Track T.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I probably play equally through the neck and bridge pickups. The DiMarzios look tempting too. What is the difference between the pickups you mentioned?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Honestly, not much. As much difference as any pickup might have from another in the same category, at any rate. In any case though, they have different frequency responses, the Tone Zone is a little more mid-range focused, the super distortion is a little hotter and bassier, the chopper's a little more vintage, and the Fast Track is a little smoother.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I'm thinking this set might be good too.

http://guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fatbody-Oversized-Polepiece-Tele-Neck-Pickup_p_76.html

http://guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fatbody-10K-OVERWOUND-Tele-Bridge-Pickup_p_74.html

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That's what I have in my Telemaster.

Sounds a little like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Buis3HmFc

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

That's what I have in my Telemaster.

Sounds a little like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Buis3HmFc

I'm liking that sound. I think I found my new pickups.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Alright, so which Blues Jr model is the bees knees then? Do I want to be looking for an original, or one of the BJIII's, or I'm also seeing some good stuff about the Hot Rod BJ NOS as well. Anyone got any knowledge to throw at me?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What frequencies does that metallic stringy sound hang out around? I don't want to lose that kinda twangy presence I like, even now that I've got my sick low mid grind sound going on.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So I picked up a new Ibanez S570, and I really love it. I would like to update the pickups ASAP. This is my first guitar with an HSH combo. Is there anything unusual I need to keep in mind when pairing humbuckers and single coils?

Also, I'd love some recommendations. It'll be primarily a rock/metal/stoner rock guitar, but I don't want to sacrifice definition for output. Specifically, I'd like a touch more warmth and crunch in the humbuckers. I don't know yet exactly what I want in the single coil, beyond keeping a good lead tone that will cut through a mix without getting shrill. I've had good luck with DiMarzios in the past, but I'm also interested in Bare Knuckles, since I just found out I'm about five minutes away from a dealer.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you're near the Axe Palace you're in luck, Nick knows a poo poo ton about bareknuckles. If it's not, you're best off ordering from the Axe Palace anyway because his prices are the best in the US as far as I know.

As far as DiMarzios go, I like the Dominion, D Activator, D Activator neck model in the bridge position, and the PAF models. Single coil is just like, get whatever.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

There's a guy selling a (supposedly) original Fender Blues Deluxe for $500 within reach of me. I was looking at almost paying something around there for a Blues Jr, so that sounds pretty damned good to me. What do you ampknowers think?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
The tweed reissue? They rule, don't know what they're going for over there though so I can't really say much about the price - but it seems reasonable (looking at Ebay).

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Not the reissue, he says it's an original. Looking a bit into the Blues Deluxe a bit more though, it's likely from the early 90s. I was originally thinking the blues deluxe was a model of regular deluxe from the 60s that I hadn't heard of and I got a little excited. however the clean channel on te blues deluxe is supposedly the same circuit as the original Bassman, which has me interested although it sounds like the OD channel isnt anything to write home about.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've never tried one of those so I can't really comment on it. But you're probably right about the OD channel. Same goes for the Hot Rod amps. The clean channels are pretty good, the ODs are shite. But you'd never need to use them anyway so it's not really an issue.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm already going to be buying an ESP 308 8-string, but I deeply regret (read: feel like a loving idiot for) trading in my Washburn WV66ANC with EMG 81/85 actives in order to pay off some other guitar stuff for my girlfriend, and I'd like to get my hands on another decent axe with EMG 81s in it.

I know I'll never find another $600 WV66ANC (and I've only found one online elsewhere for ~$800 but there's no way I'll have the money in time) so do you guys have any recommendations for other solid guitars with 81s? Preferred body shapes would be V, V2 or Strat. Price range would be anywhere up to $800 new (as I'm not exactly rolling in dough and will have to finance it with my local guitar dealer).

edit: Yes, I know there's a single Fernandes Vortex X with a single 81 on Amazon for $300, and it's on my list of potentials. :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The ltd ex-401 or whatever the number is has emgs and is an explorer copy. Actually most of the higher end ltd guitars usually have emgs in them and there's a few strat style bodies in there too with hard tail and Floyd bridges.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Francostein posted:

The ltd ex-401 or whatever the number is has emgs and is an explorer copy. Actually most of the higher end ltd guitars usually have emgs in them and there's a few strat style bodies in there too with hard tail and Floyd bridges.

That is rather a sexy looking guitar. It's going on the list!

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

nrr posted:

Not the reissue, he says it's an original. Looking a bit into the Blues Deluxe a bit more though, it's likely from the early 90s. I was originally thinking the blues deluxe was a model of regular deluxe from the 60s that I hadn't heard of and I got a little excited. however the clean channel on te blues deluxe is supposedly the same circuit as the original Bassman, which has me interested although it sounds like the OD channel isnt anything to write home about.

Look very carefully at the soldering on a 90s reissue BD as an indication of the care in its assembly; "beware QC issues" is what I've read about those.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm already going to be buying an ESP 308 8-string, but I deeply regret (read: feel like a loving idiot for) trading in my Washburn WV66ANC with EMG 81/85 actives in order to pay off some other guitar stuff for my girlfriend, and I'd like to get my hands on another decent axe with EMG 81s in it.

I know I'll never find another $600 WV66ANC (and I've only found one online elsewhere for ~$800 but there's no way I'll have the money in time) so do you guys have any recommendations for other solid guitars with 81s? Preferred body shapes would be V, V2 or Strat. Price range would be anywhere up to $800 new (as I'm not exactly rolling in dough and will have to finance it with my local guitar dealer).

edit: Yes, I know there's a single Fernandes Vortex X with a single 81 on Amazon for $300, and it's on my list of potentials. :)

Get an older made in Japan Jackson! I've got a 2007ish DKMG with the 81 85 combo. It's a little messed up and not flawlessly made but its extremely comfy, has the lowest action imaginable and has a perfect tone for EMG metal. Jackson gets ignored often but they have made some very fun guitars.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Get an older made in Japan Jackson! I've got a 2007ish DKMG with the 81 85 combo. It's a little messed up and not flawlessly made but its extremely comfy, has the lowest action imaginable and has a perfect tone for EMG metal. Jackson gets ignored often but they have made some very fun guitars.

My nephew has a Jackson (passive pickups though) and it feels really nice, I've noticed a twangy rattle that distorts open B string notes though so I may take it in for him and have it looked at. I'll give the Jackson site a look and then go poking around for pricing. Thanks for the tip!

I've also been trawling over the Dean, Washburn, Schecter and BC Rich sites, so many lovelies...

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 18, 2013

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Okay, guys. I'm having a weird problem and I've been having difficulties finding a solution to it.

You ever get that feeling when you try to play something and you're doing pretty okay finger-wise, but you just can't get the sound right and you get demotivated by how off it sounds? That's my biggest problem right now, I'm a complete mongoloid when it comes to setting the EQ and effects. Is there a guide somewhere that could help me out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Red Garland posted:

Okay, guys. I'm having a weird problem and I've been having difficulties finding a solution to it.

You ever get that feeling when you try to play something and you're doing pretty okay finger-wise, but you just can't get the sound right and you get demotivated by how off it sounds? That's my biggest problem right now, I'm a complete mongoloid when it comes to setting the EQ and effects. Is there a guide somewhere that could help me out?

I had this problem awhile back and I found the best way to figure it out is to just work it out on your own. Listen to how it's supposed to sound and then make small adjustments as necessary.