Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Nice Honda, bro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Ducati unveiled the new 2013 Desmosedici GP13, and it is orange. So very orange. Since we don't have a '13 racing thread yet and I'm not qualified to write one I'll post this here.

They're always kind of a red-orange, Italian red I think they call it. It's so it shows up on TV as a super bright red.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah that's def. Ducati colors. They've been redder at times with Marlboro's sponsorship but it doesn't look like that's at play anymore. Same with Ferrari's F1 cars.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

SV650 K4. Not the best bike I've owned by far, but it's what circumstance has left me with and I'll take an average bike over no bike any day. I'll just have to force myself to push harder I guess; maybe I'm just not used to the front end being so crap. It just feels like the front end will sledge outward and crash me if I push it any harder; I know that's probably in my head.

I'm no expert but my impression when reading this is that you need to work more on how you enter the corner and where you're putting your body/weight. I have an FZ6 which is pretty comparable to your bike and while it's no race bike, it's more than capable enough thru the turns. I guess it rides a bit different tho because I actually like to be off throttle and putting weight on the front a bit as I go into the turns, but they're pretty similar. I don't worry about my chicken strips anymore but I went and took this pic to see what they were like for the thread.

It's pretty good actually cause the last time I rode it was raining, so if you look close you can see my "cold and wet" chicken strip as well as my regular one. The regular one is pretty close to the edge, and I don't ride a ridiculous pace, nor am I throwing it over real far or trying to drag a knee. That's all from just trying to be smooth entering the turns and getting on the throttle a bit earlier. A bit more lean and I'd be dragging pegs from my parking lot lean tests.

The point being that if you just work on getting comfortable entering the corner and getting on the throttle earlier, the strips will disappear on their own. I'd follow other's advice on trying to learn more about corner entry and work on setting your weight and body up right for the turn.

edit: looking back actually you said your strips were about a half inch wide....that's probably what mine are there so really I don't know what you're so worried about. I do get a similar uneasy feeling to what you described when pushing mine that little extra bit, but that's more because I know that 1) the peg is about to scrape and 2) it's usually ~35mph corners that I can get the bike that far over easily and it's doesn't feel nearly as settled at that speed as, say, a 55 mph corner.

edit2: also 3)

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What sort of tyres are you running? If they've got a particularly sharp profile they'll often feel like they are about to just give up completely as you lean further over.
My PR3s get real steep on the edge.

edit3: chicken strip clarification

nsaP posted:

Someone else responded already but I thought I'd make myself clearer:

The red arrow points to my dry weather chicken strip. That darkest bit of rubber right on the edge is a bit of tire that I never use. The yellow arrow points to my wet weather chicken strip, or the max lean I hit while driving home from my buddy's house in the rain a few days ago.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 17, 2013

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Slavvy posted:

SV650 K4. Not the best bike I've owned by far, but it's what circumstance has left me with and I'll take an average bike over no bike any day. I'll just have to force myself to push harder I guess; maybe I'm just not used to the front end being so crap. It just feels like the front end will sledge outward and crash me if I push it any harder; I know that's probably in my head.

What sort of tyres are you running? If they've got a particularly sharp profile they'll often feel like they are about to just give up completely as you lean further over.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Also true on flatspotted tires as they hit the "ridge" at the edge of the flat spot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some sort of shinko on the rear, pirelli angel front. They came with the bike and have heaps of life left so I've kept them. My strips are a fair bit bigger than that, the part of the rear tyre which is totally unworn is about the thickness of my thumb. I've spoken to a couple of people who are A. much better riders than me and B. have ridden my bike and they both said that it doesn't have much more to give, but I find that hard to believe.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 16, 2013

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
:10bux: says if you make them a matched pair, even if it's two Shinkos, it'll feel much better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The front is more worn so I'll take that gamble and get another shinko when it croaks, see what happens.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

:10bux: says if you make them a matched pair, even if it's two Shinkos, it'll feel much better.

This definitely.

Video whoring as I put this together for fun to see different camera mounts on the same road, but it works here. I'm the upper left and you can see my pace for those strips on the tire. It's only a decent pace...the road is a 55mph limit and if I worked out my average speed I'd probably be just under that. Nothing crazy at all.

On the other hand you can see the kind of guy who's taking it to the edge on the bottom right. He's easily averaging 10 mph faster than me. I wouldn't be surprised if he was using his tire to the edge thru a some of those turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VVZ0f5ZymM

ed: ugh my bike shouldn't be so much in the thread

Have, if not a future champion, someone sure to spice up the MotoGP class next year. We need a new thread... I'll do a c/p of Silver's with some updates tomorrow

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 16, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Look at this weird loving thing I found

For only $2000, you can have your very own brand new no-name only-partially-street-legal are-those-loving-bicycle-forks 250cc Chinese "bobber"! Other models of similarly questionable quality and legality also available.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
^My uncle got a rip-off Harley from some Chinese company on ebay for about £2,000.

nsaP posted:

I don't worry about my chicken strips anymore but I went and took this pic to see what they were like for the thread.

Any chance someone could do a wee red circle around the chicken strips? I'm still not quite sure what they look like, is it the shiny bit between the outside of the tread?

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Wootcannon posted:

Any chance someone could do a wee red circle around the chicken strips? I'm still not quite sure what they look like, is it the shiny bit between the outside of the tread?

Yup. Really obvious example:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Wootcannon posted:

^My uncle got a rip-off Harley from some Chinese company on ebay for about £2,000.

It's the part where it hasn't been used/worn away from contact with the road.

The part I circled probably never/very rarely gets used, the slightly lighter part next to it gets used often enough, and the big part in the middle is what gets used all the time (mine look like that because I do a lot of highway riding).

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 16, 2013

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Look at this weird loving thing I found

For only $2000, you can have your very own brand new no-name only-partially-street-legal are-those-loving-bicycle-forks 250cc Chinese "bobber"! Other models of similarly questionable quality and legality also available.

Looks like they tried to make a parts bin bike look like a CCW Heist. For an extra grand you could get something street legal with something resembling a dealer network and customer support.

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/tha-heist-by-cleveland-cyclewerks/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I know I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I laughed as I heard his 'bros passing him by as he lay in the ditch.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gullous posted:

I find that funny considering the one of their Bimmers broke a swingarm.

Bimmer talk goes here http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=91

1912 Excelsior belt drive twin

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Know what time it is? That's right. Dakar time.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Good highlights here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853316 and incredibly verbose discussion here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852309 and how to get live streams of the TV coverage here http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20419862&postcount=2948 using VideoLan.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
in my eternal search for a set of cheap rs34's i came across this:

mmmm sexy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I need that. So...badly...

Can't ride it in the rain though, I've never understood that about bikes like that. If everything is meant to be functional, why don't the air filters have rain protection so I can ride when it isn't perfect sunshine?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

I need that. So...badly...

Can't ride it in the rain though, I've never understood that about bikes like that. If everything is meant to be functional, why don't the air filters have rain protection so I can ride when it isn't perfect sunshine?

Well it's also missing fenders.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Some bikes are just meant to be babied.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

in my eternal search for a set of cheap rs34's i came across this:

mmmm sexy

Any info on this bike? Link to a build sheet or something?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

kenny powerzzz posted:

Any info on this bike? Link to a build sheet or something?

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2012/02/honda-cafe-racer-from-dc.html

If you really want to drool, DoctorD built a cb750f that makes me poo poo my pants every time I hear it:

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2012/06/cb750-that-sweet-sound.html?m=0

Edit: that thing is wearing RS34's now also. It was dyno'd @ 90+hp with Keihin CR31's

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 17, 2013

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Subtle jab: using a DOHC alternator rotor as a kickstand puck.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you really want to drool, DoctorD built a cb750f that makes me poo poo my pants every time I hear it:

:circlefap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kH7jKOSR00#t=1m48s

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wootcannon posted:

Someone else responded already but I thought I'd make myself clearer:

The red arrow points to my dry weather chicken strip. That darkest bit of rubber right on the edge is a bit of tire that I never use. The yellow arrow points to my wet weather chicken strip, or the max lean I hit while driving home from my buddy's house in the rain a few days ago.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is that a pilot road or pilot tour? I almost got a set before I sold my last bike, how do you find them in general? Do they wear very quickly?

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2012/06/cb750-that-sweet-sound.html?m=0

Edit: that thing is wearing RS34's now also. It was dyno'd @ 90+hp with Keihin CR31's

To be fair a 90hp 750 motor is not that hard to come by. The thing I want to see is the weird carbed motors and motors with magnetos and superchargers. I have seen 1 video so far of a 750 motor with a supercharger on it, and it was the most hideous thing I have ever seen. In that it had everything all the bad 750 choppers have (prism tank, ape hangers, weird poo poo bolted everywhere, and of course the worst sissybar ever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Is that a pilot road or pilot tour? I almost got a set before I sold my last bike, how do you find them in general? Do they wear very quickly?

Those be Pilot Road 2CTs

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Welp, looks like I'm moving to California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9AAIfFU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

I've run pilot road 2 for the last 9000mi and I'll probably get another season on them.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Those be Pilot Road 2CTs

PR3s actually :cmon:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

_Dav posted:

PR3s actually :cmon:

Fo' real....can't you see my water sipes? PR2's ain't got poo poo.

Slavvy posted:

They're Road 3's and they're probably the best tires I've run so far (but I haven't run a lot so that's not saying much). Good grip for turning, good grip right out of the garage cold, and they're lasting a while. I have one season and around 5000 miles on them and I'd expect them to make it another couple seasons depending on my mileage. They haven't started to square off at all yet, the only indication that they've been on there for 5000 miles is the edges of the tread getting folded in/out a bit.

The only thing that bugs me about them is that they are a pretty steep profile on the edge, so leaning them that last little bit to scrape pegs is a bit unsettling, but I don't do that often. Up to the edge they feel good.

I avoid long highway runs and I'm not too heavy on the throttle exiting turns, so that is helping the life of them I think.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I ask because I ride 60km daily to get to work and back so I want something that handles well without turning rectangle over the kind of mileage I do. But this isn't the tyre thread so I probably should stop derailing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNKuesBVmYs

Guy loses his right arm and leg in a bike accident. Refuses to give up racing. :3:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Awesome, awesome man in that video.

gently caress that song is horrid and at full volume the whole time too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Love the "Arfer Man" on the side of his fairings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

M42 posted:

Photo and moto nerds both did a bad thing in the pants.

Collateral Damage posted:

Guy loses his right arm and leg in a bike accident. Refuses to give up racing. :3:

Hell yes, that is awesome.