Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ola posted:

For your commute? Do you have a turkey for lunch and work at a space station with a "bring your own suit"-policy?

Shoes, laptop, tools, bad weather riding gear (it's western Washington!), extra oil w/ funnel (it's a Buell!), light groceries, and a pack of beer fill my panniers pretty comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

a pack of beer

I guess my job isn't as stressful as I thought it was.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Love the teetotaler attitude. Beer is a delicious treat, not a stress reliever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

Love the teetotaler attitude. Beer is a delicious treat, not a stress reliever.

No, that's why I carry a flask of bourbon.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Safety Dance posted:

No, that's why I carry a flask of bourbon.

Ahem, this is for emergencies, for instance if you get caught out in a blizzard

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
drat lot of surprise blizzards we seem to be having lately, eh chaps *hic*

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Didn't do much today bar charge the battery, tomorrow the whole loom has to be checked for damage/shorts.
Still at least its in the house and not outside in the rain or the bird/birdpoop infested shed

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What kind of bike is that and where are more pictures of it? :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wondering the same thing. Looks like a gsxr engine, gsxr front end, but honda cbr rear wheel?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
It's a Cee Bee Arr Nahn Hunner'd Fay-er Blayde. Street fightered.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Saga posted:

It's a Cee Bee Arr Nahn Hunner'd Fay-er Blayde. Street fightered.

ding ding, I posted pics of it before, it belongs to my mate. gsxr1000 front end and tailpiece, 1996 cbr in the middle, motorgadget clocks, LSL levers, Gilles (i think) rearsets, ohlins etc.. he can post its long and lurid history someday

turns out the main lead from the battery negative to the starter motor had vibrated off and the whole loom was earthing through a very narrow wire that had been run to the body of the R/R, which up and melted, leaving the bike lacking any earth at all.
put it back on with some locktite on the bolt, now it starts up real nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Jd0wb9nvE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Jd0wb9nvE

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The GSXR subframe was throwing me off something fierce. Nice bike :)

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I hosed it up. That's what I did today. Took a lunch break and figured that'd be enough time to install some aftermarket grips real quick like.

Pulled the stocks off without much issue. Wiggle the new Driven D3 grips on and:

Dat gap...

Now, I don't actually plan on re-using the stock ends. I picked up some LED bar-end turn signals that I want to use in place of those anyway. Lets just cram the wires in without worrying about actual hookup and see how those fit in place for now.

gently caress.

I don't like the stock mirror/housing placement anyway. They're a bit too close together and I figure if I muscle the grip I just put on there back off, I can loosen the housing and only put the grip on as far as the end of the handlebar. Then scoot the housing down the bar the inch or so to where it fits. That will solve my gap, and bring the mirrors out a little further which would be a bonus because most of what I see right now is my own shoulders, and I have to lean out a little to get a look at who's about to run up my rear end when I'm parked at a stoplight.

To duplicate on the throttle side I'll need to get the tube off and cut it down a little. New grips != 20 minute install after all. Alternatives that don't involve relocating the clutch and brake housings further down the bars are welcome.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 11, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Removed the intake flapper, charcoal canister, exup valve, exchanged the coolant for distilled water + water wetter, and changed the oil.

(now I'm looking for how people mount the stock gauges in a street fighter setup...)

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Let the winter project list begin.

A few days back I installed a pigtail for a battery tender. Quick and easy and I have it quickly tuckable on the throttle side, behind the side cover.

ToDo list today includes:

New grips, LED bar ends to supplement (not replace) existing front signals, and a throttle lock. Should be easy except for the LED bar ends which will require removal of the handle bars and a small hole drilled/sealed to get the wires out. This will mark the first time I've had to fishtape wire on a motorcycle.

So long stock grips. I hardly knew ye.

A blow dryer, a long narrow flat head screwdriver (it's actually the one from my carb adjustment tool so it's even motorcycle intended), and a little elbow grease and they're off.

These Driven grips are a seriously tight fit, and they're flexible due to the pvc not being reinforced by any plastic. So cramming them on the bars took quite a lot of turning, huffing and puffing, and a ton of hairspray to work as a lube that won't continue to be a lube.

This is where I noticed the problem of the gap in the previously slightly panicked and annoyed post. Also, the LED end is just sort of floating there. It doesn't lock into place at all, and the 5 line badly translated to English instructions don't make it clear how that's supposed to work out. I know I can snug it up by pulling the cables tight, but I'd like something besides two small gauge low voltage wires holding the bar end on.

So the simple grip swap turns into a bit more of a thing... I loosened the bolts to the control housing so I could shuffle it further down the bar. Huffed and puffed as I worked the extremely tight fitting grip down to the end, and that shift's the whole assembly and grip down to the very end of the bar.

Looks good. As a bonus it puts my mirror stems outside another inch or so, which will hopefully help out with getting a great view of my shoulders, but being unable to see the car pulling up behind me.

I actually pulled it about an 1/8th" over the bars, so I can slide the LED turn signal into the grip to help hold it in place. A grip holding onto the bar end is the exact opposite of how this is supposed to work, but I don't really have another option that I can think of. Good thing those grips are so drat snug I guess.

Rinse/Repeat for the throttle side, but with the added step of using a tube cutter and taking the inch off the throttle tube so it wasn't just sticking out.

----
That was a lot more work than anticipated but hey, one thing down. Onto the throttle lock. I debated with myself for about 30 minutes on if I should install it straight to the throttle tube instead of over the grip, but ultimately decided that even if I could custom cut an extra thick spacer it would mean I uneven mirrors and controls. With the clutch side shifted down an inch, and the thickness of the throttle lock negating the need to shift the throttle side down at all. Also, the removal of the throttle lock would mean a huge bit of exposed throttle tube, and a quick bolt-on like this should be able to be removed quickly if desired. So I decided to cut the throttle tube, and install the grip like normal. Then install the throttle lock right over the top of the grip as intended.

New grips done. LED bar ends.... going to need to wait until tomorrow, I had not expected just the grips to be such a hassle.

While messing around with all this today my mail man stopped by. He saw the reindeer strapped to the Softail and asked if I had been in the local toys for tots run this December. I said yes and that was why it was strapped to the bike, and it turned out he rode it too. Chatted about bikes for a bit and then he left me this package:

Rusty ol crash bars from e-bay. Got a pretty great deal on them and look forward to soaking and scrubbing all that rust away before powdercoating.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

(now I'm looking for how people mount the stock gauges in a street fighter setup...)

drat I thought that bike looked good before, you need to run it fairing-less even if you just fab up some sheet metal to mount the gauges.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Triumph should be offering fairing-less versions of the Daytona. Definitely a looker in comparison to the Street/Speedies.

Hitting about 60 degrees today in upstate New York, horray! Time to give my zx6r its first oil change, on a street getting flooded with melting slush and mud. :dance:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

the walkin dude posted:

Triumph should be offering fairing-less versions of the Daytona. Definitely a looker in comparison to the Street/Speedies.

Hitting about 60 degrees today in upstate New York, horray! Time to give my zx6r its first oil change, on a street getting flooded with melting slush and mud. :dance:

Meanwhile in another thread...

Snowdens Secret posted:

Originally a streetfighter was a superbike that had been smashed, with the fairing destroyed, the bare minimum (lights, dash cluster) re-installed and dirtbike bars thrown on. If that happens to a bike that looks like this:

The end result is a bike that looks a lot like this:

It's a good look for a brawler but a bit dated and no one has a dual-round-headlight superbike any more anyway. And honestly those headlights suck for putting out usable light. I'm not a huge fan of the S3's new lights (or how the lenses keep shattering) but it's not like any other nakeds/streetfighters have stunning faces either. You either have the boring and 2-dimensional pseudo-retro (Duc Monster, MV) or something that looks like a Evil Space Welding Helmet (CB1000R, Duc Streetfighter, B-King, BMW R). Oh, and the Tuono, Angriest Of Hornets. The Superduke face might be the best looking but even then it's pretty plain. I've said before, Triumph basically could've had the Daytona 675 headlights just floating unfaired in front of the headstock and it would've looked better, or even something like the Tiger 1050, but putting out a design that doesn't even use projector beams in the 20-Teens is kind of lovely.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Bahaha, this thing begs to be ridden like a retard with no fairings. I love it. On the other hand, it's 30* out and gently caress it's cold.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Just did an oil change on my '04 636 - and learned something new in the process.

Ninja zx6r's, at least some of them, have to be "burped" via the oil filter - or the oil pump won't work and new oil won't circulate through the engine.

I finished doing the change and started up the bike. The oil light didn't go off, and I observed through the engine oil window that the oil was just sitting there and after 30-45 seconds I turned the bike off (the engine was being extra noisy too). Turned the bike on again for another 30 seconds, same stuff.

I remembered seeing "oil lights not turning off" and "burping" somewhere on the Kawiforums so I checked that out. Turns out the oil filter installation can create an air bubble between itself and the engine, and that causes the oil pump to not function. Eek. So I had to turn the engine on, back out the oil filter a bit and let some oil to spill over, and that turned off the oil light. Engine ran smoother and quieter too. Took the bike out for a ride to ensure all was functioning good.

That kinda stuff's scary. What if I wasn't so meticulous and observant; I would've ended up damaging my engine with lack of oil!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Thats why I usually prefill my oil filters. A bit of oil for the gasket and then pour a bunch in to soak the filter. Seems to fix the air bubble problem most of the time, and get the oil light off a lot faster.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've been taught to always pre fill the oil filter, on any car or bike. Just seems like a logical thing to do.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Went to take the TURBO on it's maiden voyage after calling it my own. Stopped by a friend's house to show it off in all it's glory, went to leave and just like in looney tunes, the ignition barfed out springs, plates and little copper pieces all over his driveway. Welp. The bottom retainer thingy's tabs are all sheared off, so new ignition + keys $50 from the fabulous ebay.

:unsmith:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Where's GnarlyCharlie and his "key?" At least I think that's who has the little ball of wires on a connector that just shorts out the necessary contacts.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

quote:

Pre-fill the oil filter when changing to prevent air bubbles

I've never heard this and have changed the oil on loads of bikes and cars. Never had a problem, but it's nice to be made aware that the potential is there. This is something I will do from now on :O

Thank you guys.

Halo_4am posted:

I actually pulled it about an 1/8th" over the bars, so I can slide the LED turn signal into the grip to help hold it in place. A grip holding onto the bar end is the exact opposite of how this is supposed to work, but I don't really have another option that I can think of. Good thing those grips are so drat snug I guess.

Rinse/Repeat for the throttle side, but with the added step of using a tube cutter and taking the inch off the throttle tube so it wasn't just sticking out.

The more I think about this the less comfortable I am with the idea. For the clutch side I can get a rubber ring and cut to size to fit inside the bar and around the stem to ease my mind. For the throttle side though that would just bind the bar end to the handlebar instead of letting it spin freely with the grip/throttle tube. Thoughts on some kind of toothed gasket/ring I can use to bind better to the grip... maybe? I guess I could leave a small gap on the throttle side and leave the end floating off the grip like a typical bar end works, but since there's no overlap at all on these like typical bar ends something would still need to be done to prevent moisture from finding it's way into the bars.

:edit:
These are what I'm trying to make work here. The original ends are press-fit so there's nothing existing in the bar to secure them to. I think they're intended more for 1" bars and to rest slightly inside, and hook to existing mount points like I've seen on various Suzuki's that have a thread in the middle to hold the bar end.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 13, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Went to take the TURBO on it's maiden voyage after calling it my own. Stopped by a friend's house to show it off in all it's glory, went to leave and just like in looney tunes, the ignition barfed out springs, plates and little copper pieces all over his driveway. Welp. The bottom retainer thingy's tabs are all sheared off, so new ignition + keys $50 from the fabulous ebay.

:unsmith:
When I got my first bike I was on vacation, so I went to have lunch with my coworkers and rode my new bike there.. Then when I was about to leave, and had my coworkers watching me I couldn't get it started.. Fiddled with it for a few minutes then realized I had stopped it using the kill switch instead of the key. :downs:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Took my bike to the garage to wash it, and check the tyre pressures (which I'd neglected to do for four months, because "can't find the pressure thingie but they feel alright" :bravo:. Back tire alone was at less than half recommended pressure. At least this goes some way towards explaining its under-reading speedo!

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 13, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
So last I left these had arrived:

Time to rid the rust.

The tools:

God dammit... the bolt/spacer/nut that came in there is totally seized up with rust. Spent about an hour alternating between a couple wrenches and a wrench/ratchet trying to free it without any luck. gently caress it, I'll get a new bolt tomorrow. I just cut it off...

The tools (revised):

Step 1: Surface rust. Easily solved with a vinegar bath and sitting on my rear end for about 2 hours.

Result: Pretty good. The really deep rust and a lot of the stuff around the welds is still very much there though.

I'll take care of that with some steel wool pads and a grinding wheel on my cordless drill in a bit. First thing though is to wash all the acid off the metal so it doesn't continue going to work long after it's bath.

Step 2: Rinse off and thoroughly dry. WD-40 is great for this, but I opted for an oven set to 200 degrees.

Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and delicious.

Step 3: Scrub at all that deeper rust with steel wool pads, metal brushes, and grinding wheel attached to low rpm cordless drill.

Not bad. Still have a lot of stuff in the narrow crevices that I'm having a hard time getting at, and a lot of really tiny little specs of rust/pits/etc.

Step 4: Tiny and fast rpm wire brush attached to a dremel

Result:

Ehhhh I could mess with it a little more, but I think that's about as good as they're going to get. There's only so much you can do when there's pitting like that.

Step 5: Polish to shine

That spacer looks a little rough yet, but what the hell I'll toss it in there until I can come up with a new one. Found a metric bolt that will work to replace the rusty crap this shipped with. The rest of the bolts can be re-used from what's on the bike already.

Step 6: Install

Step 7: Realize you want it black to match the frame, and plan to powder coat eventually negating most this work

Ah well, at least they look shiny in the meantime, and I can put my feet up somewhere on the highway.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
We're having a cold snap here in the bay area. I got paranoid about the distilled water in the '82 Goldwing, so I drained it just now. I'm probably dumb. But I also found a thing of Zerex Japanese vehicle coolant in a cabinet a few days ago so now's as good a time as any to swap.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
this is awesome, and I want to do this to my zx6r. the stock gauges make my eyes hurt with their pallid yellow. $60 for a soldering job from the website indicated on the photo.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the walkin dude posted:

this is awesome, and I want to do this to my zx6r. the stock gauges make my eyes hurt with their pallid yellow. $60 for a soldering job from the website indicated on the photo.

drat you're colorblind too, that's clearly green. Kidding aside kind of cool looking especially if it's a easy solder job. Is it something you could do yourself?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
DIY instructions are at http://www.bluegauges.com/step_by_step_gauges.htm

... I'd rather pay someone to do it instead of loving poo poo up by accident.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

the walkin dude posted:

DIY instructions are at http://www.bluegauges.com/step_by_step_gauges.htm

... I'd rather pay someone to do it instead of loving poo poo up by accident.

If you get your bike to Atlanta, I'll do it for $beer.

e: I'll go to you for $sv650

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 16, 2013

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
For $sv650?

Cleaning the grunge off the zx6r.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I've been spending a lot of time at a coffee shop studying for the CPA exams. I've become THAT guy that rides his bike to and from a coffee shop. My poor, poor b-king deserves better. I just felt like I needed to express my self loathing somewhere.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

I've been spending a lot of time at a coffee shop studying for the CPA exams. I've become THAT guy that rides his bike to and from a coffee shop. My poor, poor b-king deserves better. I just felt like I needed to express my self loathing somewhere.

Seedy biker bars sell coffee, too. Ride that thing into the sticks and get a beer (then coffees). I hear all the hi-viz gear makes you a non-target to the Real Bikers in the bar.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

You're right, it does deserve better.

Have you considered a ducati? :v:

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
Dulatte

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Didn't actually work on it today (that'll be Monday) but I've got a chain and sprockets in the mail. Got a pair of JT Sprockets for $30 after using my $25 Amazon gift card. Huzzah for free prime shipping! :toot:
I'll finally get to use the chain breaker/riveter I've yet to open, too.

Oh, I guess I'm going to change the oil. That's a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Pope Mobile posted:

I'll finally get to use the chain breaker/riveter I've yet to open, too.

Be sure to grind the head of the rivet off before pressing out the old pin, it'll make it a million times easier.