Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So heres one of the videos from today. The shaking is not bad but that noise is terrible. I bet it is because of the offset mount. I'm going to try some foam jammed between the stick and camera first and if that works then I'll make it pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJuNPj5jtBg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I got my snow tires mounted finally since it snowed this week and actually having traction is pretty great. Also installed a missing fender liner and put on the ski racks. I'm ready for winter!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I replaced my fog light bulb. Exciting, I know.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Just an oil change today.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
My blower motor needs to be replaced. :( Is it a sign of something else going wrong?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

I got my snow tires mounted finally since it snowed this week and actually having traction is pretty great. Also installed a missing fender liner and put on the ski racks. I'm ready for winter!
How many donuts have you done so far?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Thought traffic on the highway was moving really slow. Usually the traffic on the tollway is flying low at about 70-85.

Nope, just not used to the car yet, and the center-mounted cluster means I'm not looking at it as often. It also seems to have really long gearing; 100 mph in this feels like 70 in the Altima. Whoops..

indoflaven posted:

My blower motor needs to be replaced. :( Is it a sign of something else going wrong?

It's a sign of worn out blower motor :haw: Nothing else, really.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How many donuts have you done so far?

Only a couple. I spent my evening wiring a half-assed dccd controller for a guy I just helped with a 6-speed swap. We did do lots of donuts testing it out.

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 13, 2013

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
e: @ billytully- vibration need not be visible to be a pain in the rear end, as you have found out.

Loosened off the torsion bars in the front of the 4Runner in hopes that it would both lower it and improve the ride. It only lowered it may ~1/2", so I may go lower once I take a leaf out of the rear. At least now it feels like there is suspension in the front...

I got new shocks from rockauto.com (80$ shipped for 4!!! to Canada!!), so I put in the fronts at the same time as the torsion bar adjustment.

I also need taller jack stands, as mine are ~4" short as it stands.

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 13, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Thought traffic on the highway was moving really slow. Usually the traffic on the tollway is flying low at about 70-85.

Nope, just not used to the car yet, and the center-mounted cluster means I'm not looking at it as often. It also seems to have really long gearing; 100 mph in this feels like 70 in the Altima. Whoops..

Hahaha I did the same exact thing first time on the highway with mine, me and my brother were heading to Meijer to get subwoofers that were on clearance and he looked down and was like "UUHHHH TIM, WE'RE GOING 110MPH."

Luckily it was 3am and nobody was going west at that time of the night :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hacked the Flyin Miata pedal extension onto my FC's pedal:

The Miata pedal has holes formed into the gas pedal, but not here. I used the stock hole up top (for securing the plastic cover) and drilled the bottom one. I should have chamfered the holes a bit to better countersink the bolt heads, but whatever. The pedal steel was pretty thin.

On the test drive, I was still mentally expecting nothing to be there, but it definitely heel-toed a lot more securely when I did dab the gas. Need to get more used to the shape. But I'm liking it so far.

I also got some serious axle hop when taking off hard. Combination of bad tires, wet road, and shot shocks.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Broke a drat wheel stud! I was checking to see if the after-market wheels on my car had spigot rings fitted. The answer was 'no', and that fact almost certainly contributed to the failure. I was only using 1 arm on a 2 foot wrench to snap it in half...now I'm going to have to change every stud on the car just for peace of mind.

Here's a spooky close-up

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

xp67 posted:

Broke a drat wheel stud! I was checking to see if the after-market wheels on my car had spigot rings fitted. The answer was 'no', and that fact almost certainly contributed to the failure. I was only using 1 arm on a 2 foot wrench to snap it in half...now I'm going to have to change every stud on the car just for peace of mind.

Here's a spooky close-up

That's a intergranular brittle zone fracture, so changing the rest of those studs is probably a very good idea.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's a intergranular brittle zone fracture, so changing the rest of those studs is probably a very good idea.

I just got the same response after posting that picture on another car forum. Thanks for the confirmation :)

Studs are cheap and easy to replace. And spigot rings are cheap and easy to fit at the same time. If only the PO had done the latter, I wouldn't be needing to do both!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sir Cornelius posted:

Failure mechanics are so interesting. :allears:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Finished my dash hack and stereo installation in the Binder, and mounted a tiny fire extinguisher while I was there. Yay!

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM
Finished up replacing the CCV and all the hoses in my E46, and this is by far the most difficult mechanical task I've ever attempted. The separator itself is a simple unit with three hose connections, but it's located underneath the intake manifold and one particular hose has to be wound through in an excruciating way. It took me around 8 hours spread across two days. I got to find out my jack is completely ruined, it only has about 2mm of bite and the lifting arm sits off-center, so just raising and lowering the car (flushed power steering fluid as well) took nearly an hour.

Now that I'm post-processing I'm getting anxious about the dipstick tube. When I pulled it there was no o-ring on the tube or in the receiving hole, so I cleaned everything up and slapped a fresh one on there. Too bad I forgot to lube it up after drying out the area with rubbing alcohol, so now I'm worried about it drying out prematurely. I also completely forgot to clean out the long nipple for the dipstick tube hose from the oil separator so I'm also worried about it being clogged and trashing the new cold weather CCV. Fortunately the dipstick tube and hoses were nowhere near as clogged as many of the DIY pictures I'm finding.

Didn't even get to doing the engine & transmission mounts, transmission & diff fluid I also wanted to do this weekend, but that was more due to the busted up jack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Failure mechanics are so interesting. :allears:

I learned a new word!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I did stuff! None of it pleases me though.

I decided to look into why the top radiator hose leaks so much at the fitting. Holy poo poo the pitting was awful. Chunks out of the lip and all. The water that flowed out was brown too! This concerned me. As I was attacking the outside of the fitting with some emery paper the coolant slowly turned green. Uh.. okay.

When I put the hose back on and started the car I didn't have to top up the tank. I tried squeezing the hose in case the bleed line coming out the top of it was blocked. Lots of bubbles in the coolant tank but the level didn't drop. Uh... ohhhhkay. At least it doesn't leak now as far as I can tell.

Next up was an experiment. I stole the 30A breaker from the power windows and shoved it in the suspension fuse slot. I don't think anything happened. Next I reconnected the weird lever sensor thing that was meant to attach to the panhard rod via a ball joint. I spotted it ages ago with the rod ziptied up on to the sensor. Still not 100% sure anything happened when I started the car. I may be mis-attributing this but I swear the body twitched.

Next up I discovered the car had a "Check susp." light which was flickering away on the dash. I stood on the rocker and bounced up and down for a while watching the light as it flickered less until it went out.

Experiment results: Inconclusive. I think the panhard sensor is for SLS but it's not really documented. It could also be for torque control but I think that's only for the I6, not the V8. I'm assuming SLS.

While I was under there I also noted the fuel tank is bone dry. I'll be giving it something to drink before I set off tomorrow. I still need to get to the bottom of the weird fuel smell, why it uses fuel when it's running off LPG and why the system seems to lose prime almost instantly.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

New distributor/rotor and wires. The previous owner couldn't decide if he should install the old wires above or below the air intake, as a result I nearly had to cut the old wire for cylinder two in order to get it out.

What a bastard.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 28, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I hit a milestone today at lunch:

Also, I dusted the interior too...no particular reason. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ahaha, I was thinking of doing something like that, I just rolled past 120k in my MS3.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

My 510 finally found a second calling aside from track/mtn road toy in the form of my surf car. I am a poo poo surfer, but you have to start somewhere, and getting to drive the car is a great reason to go surfing. For me at the moment it could be more accurately called "morning-time ocean swimming".

I did this on Saturday, but got to use the results today (on a low 40 degree day at Linda Mar no less).

I started with some used Yakima towers from eBay -- old style rain gutters rule for mounting racks. Refusing to pay $70 for a pair of steel tubes, I ended up using 1.125" maple hardwood dowels which I hit with some paint left over from my wheels. Pads are 1/2" thick pipe insulation covered in tubes I sewed together out of material from an old snowboard bag.

Today at the beach.

On Saturday I also addressed a starting issue with the installation of a geared starter motor from TS Imported. It's apparently an adapted forklift unit (something that sees a very high duty cycle) so it should be up to task for an infrequently driven car. http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/gearreductionstarters.html

And installed what I hope to be my final alternator -- after having a huge number of re-manufactured GM/Saturn alts fail on this car over the years for a variety of reasons, I finally took the time to buy a new Remy unit, disassemble and re-assemble with loctite (the last two had case bolt failures), and install a larger 4" vs 3.25" stock pulley (the last two died after extended high revs tracks sessions).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I tried to record the loud startup knock / tap and the subsequent quieter tap that it fades to when it does it. Of course it didn't do it this time. It's essentially out of gas and putting out what I estimate to be single digit hp figures on petrol so yeah it was being stubborn. Here's my video of failure!

http://youtu.be/ce7HgOqjFK8

Also I'm not going to try recording video with a phone again. I'll do my usual video camera footage.
e: If you are wondering about my youtube username it came about after at least half an hour of trying and failing to get an unused name. It was done in anger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blooot posted:

My 510 finally found a second calling aside from track/mtn road toy in the form of my surf car.

That's a thing of beauty.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Dude, I love your car. It's amazing in every way possible. :glomp:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I went out to buy 7 quarts of oil, Seafoam, and an oil filter today, and noticed that they were selling cabin air filters as well. Since it was $10 and I hadn't ever changed mine since I got it and since I assume most people don't even know about them, I grabbed one just because why not.

Dear God :barf: I had been breathing all that crap in? Why don't I have cancer? Or at least severe allergies? :v:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

indoflaven posted:

I'm guessing not. In my experience, a blower motor is a pretty self-contained unit. It just wears out, it fails gradually (rattling, worse rattling, poor response from speed adjustment, bangs and clunks...) and needs to be replaced. I don't think they're prone to taking anything else with them, and they seem to be pretty independent from other parts of the interior ventilation system - a dying A/C unit won't kill a blower, for example.

I'm assuming here your blower isn't on it's way out because your heater core exploded hot sexy green coolant all over the relevant electronics.

Blooot posted:

Today at the beach.

This is awesome. You are awesome.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I took the black churd out to slide on the ice. It doesn't really kick the rear end out as well as my ancient 95 LPT. Kind of disappointed that these 'came with it' 2008 date coded generic tires are better than my 2010 all seasons.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tusen Takk posted:

Dear God :barf: I had been breathing all that crap in? Why don't I have cancer? Or at least severe allergies? :v:

No...you would have been breathing it in (and it would have been deposited all over your interior) without the filter. All it was doing at that point is restricting the volume of air the HVAC system could pull into the car.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geoj posted:

No...you would have been breathing it in (and it would have been deposited all over your interior) without the filter. All it was doing at that point is restricting the volume of air the HVAC system could pull into the car.

Yep. I don't even know if the Fairlane is meant to have one. What I do know is there is a thick deposit of dust on everything that must have gotten in through the vents.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I changed out the shift knob while driving in stop and go traffic. I must have hit something on the cig lighter to cause the fuse to blow but didn't notice until today. The heated seats stopped working this morning, which needed fixed ASAP. Michigan :argh:

So today, I replaced a fuse. :effort:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Tusen Takk posted:

I went out to buy 7 quarts of oil, Seafoam, and an oil filter today, and noticed that they were selling cabin air filters as well. Since it was $10 and I hadn't ever changed mine since I got it and since I assume most people don't even know about them, I grabbed one just because why not.

Mine when I changed it in the SS/SC:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

New wiper blades, since whatever poo poo blades it has on it right now are less "wipe stuff off the windshield" and more "holy poo poo these streak horribly, I can see better without them!". And after seeing TT's cabin filter photo, I checked mine, since we're somewhat close in mileage. Mine looked brand new with zero dust :effort: so I guess the dealer changed it before I bought the car.

It's going in the shop tomorrow for a clunking in the LF when hitting speed bumps/potholes at low speeds. :arghfist::smith:

Also washed it and cleaned out the interior (huge stack of wadded up delivery tickets, a few sodas, etc), and took my camera with me.

General_Failure posted:

Yep. I don't even know if the Fairlane is meant to have one. What I do know is there is a thick deposit of dust on everything that must have gotten in through the vents.

Fairlane's a 96 right? So I'd doubt it; seems like they started becoming common in the late 90s/early 00s? My 01 Honda had one, the 99 Nissan didn't (though it was actually a dealer option on the Nissan).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Renewed my plates and registration today.

Jesus Christ, $206 renew my plate on the Mazda. That's a loving racket.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Realized mine was up. Wednesday, on Tuesday. Had to get the town to stamp the form because they aren't speedy in reporting up to date property taxes.

On top of it, Stupid CT DMV wont let you renew in person until its 30 Days past due, I guess I'm riddin' dirty until the check clears.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Plates are cheap to renew here. Personal property taxes...not so much.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Larrymer posted:

needed fixed

Michigan :argh:

I'll say. I thought this was exclusively a central PA thing.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Endless Mike posted:

Plates are cheap to renew here. Personal property taxes...not so much.

Same here, plates are $30 a year and can get a 2 year sticker for $60...

But you have to have a copy of your personal property tax in order to get the plate renewed.

We just noticed my wife's plates have been dead for two months.. Easy to forget about considering our little girl is 2 and a half months old... Now we just have to get the time to go get it taken care of..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Today I found a thingy attached to the fuel pump that has been screwing up the fuel system for something like three years. I also pulled the codes from my In-laws car and found a lean condition. I know it runs like a tractor when trying to make it accelerate. I also know its fuel pump varies between noisy to hellish shrieking. I told them first order of action is to get a fuel pump and I'll put it in. Any time a motor is shrieking it's usually not turning too well.
It's worth noting they have also been having overheating issues. Lean running, poor and rough acceleration and overheating... It's worth a shot!