Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

origami posted:

What was the recommendation for good horror on netflix? I know folks were wishy-washy on VHS.

Rosemary's Baby, House of the Devil, Re-Animator, The Evil Dead, Hellraiser and The Host are all incredible movies, as well as incredible horror movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

GonSmithe posted:

Be subscribed to HBO and use HBOGo.

Know anyone who is subscribed to HBO and link their HBOGo to your device.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Rhyno posted:

Tonight I watched the Devil Inside. First off, don't watch it. Second, the first thing I was recommended afterwards was Malcom in the Middle. I love it when Netflix's recommendations get all weird on me.

Today I had two really weird ones. One was "Because you watched Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and the first recommendation was Ran. Yes, that Ran, the 1985 Kurosawa movie based off of King Lear. The other one was that the first recomendation for the "Thriller" section was Beavis and Butthead.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Samfucius posted:

The other one was that the first recomendation for the "Thriller" section was Beavis and Butthead.

I've had B&BDA down there in "Thriller" for a two weeks now and at this point I'm tempted to see if it's an alternate cut, because that is the only way it could ever make sense.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I am somewhat of a connoisseur of bad movies with stupid plots. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0114845/. Vibrations is soul shatteringly bad. I rented this movie when I was about 12 with the hope of seeing some sweet Christina Applegate sideboob. Spoiler-(didn't happen). I remember thinking it was one of the worst movies I had ever seen. I'm now 28, have seen a million bad movies since and still feel exactly the same about this movie. This is the Troll2 of the romance/drama genre. Oh yeah there's techno. Really really lovely techno. On USA Netflix now. Don't watch it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Samfucius posted:

Today I had two really weird ones. One was "Because you watched Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and the first recommendation was Ran. Yes, that Ran, the 1985 Kurosawa movie based off of King Lear. The other one was that the first recomendation for the "Thriller" section was Beavis and Butthead.

I was pretty weirded out when I rated "There Will be Blood" and it asked me "How often do you watch Cool Mustache Movies like There Will be Blood?" :stare: (apparently it was a Movember gimmick)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hey now, "Ran 乱, Japanese for "rebellion", "uprising" or "revolt", or to mean "disturbed" or "confused"".
Its Always Sunny is pretty ran dudes.
I just had "you liked "The Thing, you might like C.H.U.D."
Just marathoned Downton Abbey I fully recommend it if you enjoy people being horrid assholes to each other thanks to succession laws and class warfare.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just watched a REALLY trippy time travel movie called Primer.

I think I'm gonna need to watch it again to understand it but wow. Very well done considering I read that the budget was only $7,000

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mahoning posted:

I just watched a REALLY trippy time travel movie called Primer.

I think I'm gonna need to watch it again to understand it but wow. Very well done considering I read that the budget was only $7,000

Primer is awesome, but if you think you understand it, look up some of the online papers about it and you will just shake your head and say "Uhhh wow."

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I'm not sure it lessens as the show goes on so much as preachiness in a show about politics fits in perfectly. Josh is ranting about how badly this country funds secondary education because he's literally trying to solve how this country funds secondary education.

Alright, so I'll be willing to give it a go. Because the worst thing about the prechiness in the other shows wasn't his message, but rather, it was the fact that it was just completely out of place with the show and the characters. Also, a lot of it was also pretty boring.

It also became very clear during Sports Night that a sitcom was not really Sorkins' best place to be, and that he would have rather be doing a quirky drama with a sense of humor.

Samfucius posted:

Today I had two really weird ones. One was "Because you watched Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and the first recommendation was Ran. Yes, that Ran, the 1985 Kurosawa movie based off of King Lear.

Well, it might be for a loving weird reason, but it is a very good recommendation. If you haven't watched Ran yet, you should, because it is an absolutely brilliant film. And so many of the images will stick with you, because Kurosawa knows how to make a fantastic shot. It's long, but it feels a lot shorter than it really is.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
One time, when I was checking if the stunning martial arts epic Gymkata was on Instant Watch (it wasn't), it gave me a recommendation for Full Metal Jacket as a similar movie available for streaming.

My favorite bit of Netflix misclassifying genres is this:

Yes, Ben Stein's Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed and Equilibrium are definitely cerebral films.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I watched Sleepaway Camp 2/3 last night. I have never seen the first Sleepaway camp and personally, I don't think you have to.

The suggestion that 2 was superior to 3 I can totally back. 3 you don't necessarily have to watch, but anyone who likes horror movies should probably watch 2, it's a pretty fun little ride.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

bo_chrud posted:

I watched Sleepaway Camp 2/3 last night. I have never seen the first Sleepaway camp and personally, I don't think you have to.

The suggestion that 2 was superior to 3 I can totally back. 3 you don't necessarily have to watch, but anyone who likes horror movies should probably watch 2, it's a pretty fun little ride.

Does 3 have the cut scenes tagged onto the end like my local movie shop's VHS copy? In particular I remember there's a few extra seconds of the flag-pole kill that are amazingly gruesome for the budget.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bo_chrud posted:

You can watch the first movie on YouTube for some inexplicable reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePkcsSvnu0I

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

And 2 and 3 as well

And Ilsa, The Wicked Warden, I love that YouTube is so drat lazy these days.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

You can watch the first movie on YouTube for some inexplicable reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePkcsSvnu0I

Anyone ever watch this on a Xbox 360? How horrible does it look?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dedicated To Mom, A Doer.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And 2 and 3 as well

And Ilsa, The Wicked Warden, I love that YouTube is so drat lazy these days.

I seriously want an explanation for why Youtube doesn't give a poo poo about the huge amounts of older TV shows and movies on YouTube. They're not ALL out of print.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Dedicated To Mom, A Doer.

I seriously want an explanation for why Youtube doesn't give a poo poo about the huge amounts of older TV shows and movies on YouTube. They're not ALL out of print.

Youtube only acts if the copyright holder sends a request to pull the video. I tried to get a clip pulled of someone that was using licensed music and youtube didn't care unless the request was from the holder of the copyright.

Though if you are a copyright holder and you do complain, youtube will pull any and all clips you complain about regardless if they contain licensed material or not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Interesting, sounds like they've given up trying to automate detection of copyright violations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

If they still use 'Content ID' then the copyright holder has to play a role in their automatic detection process, beforehand, explaining why popular things get taken down so quickly and old movies are less likely.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

bo_chrud posted:

Anyone ever watch this on a Xbox 360? How horrible does it look?

Depends, I watched and aside from stopping to buffer once or twice, the quality was fine.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Not Netflix and not a movie, but all of The Thick of It is on Hulu.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My favorite bit of Netflix misclassifying genres is this:

Yes, Ben Stein's Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed and Equilibrium are definitely cerebral films.

I don't have the screenshot handy, but I once got a "Recommended for you: Spirited Away, based on your interest in Taxi Driver and Being John Malcovitch" :wtc:

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Have access to American Netflix now and can't believe how ripped off us Canadians are getting.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I just watched Whores Glory. A documentary about prostitutes in India, Taiwan, and Mexico. Interesting but pretty sad.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
Last night I watched The Man From Earth, and while I wouldn't say its amazing, I think its a really entertaining movie. The basic idea is that the main character, a college professor, is moving on and invites his colleagues to a bit of a farewell party. At this party, he informs them that he's actually a 14,000 year old caveman who has managed to survive all this time.

The movie is pretty much entirely dialogue driven - the entire movie takes place in the main character's cabin in the woods. There are no flashbacks, no special effects, its just all storytelling and interaction between the alleged 14,000 year old caveman and his alternatively believing, disbelieving, incredulous, offended, and supportive colleagues and their reactions to his tales and interaction with him and each other.

It may just be the historian in me, but I found it very interesting. Its even got a bit of a twist ending to it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

stimpy posted:

Last night I watched The Man From Earth, and while I wouldn't say its amazing, I think its a really entertaining movie. The basic idea is that the main character, a college professor, is moving on and invites his colleagues to a bit of a farewell party. At this party, he informs them that he's actually a 14,000 year old caveman who has managed to survive all this time.

The movie is pretty much entirely dialogue driven - the entire movie takes place in the main character's cabin in the woods. There are no flashbacks, no special effects, its just all storytelling and interaction between the alleged 14,000 year old caveman and his alternatively believing, disbelieving, incredulous, offended, and supportive colleagues and their reactions to his tales and interaction with him and each other.

It may just be the historian in me, but I found it very interesting. Its even got a bit of a twist ending to it.

I thought that movie worked much better as a concept than as a film. It was adapted from a one-act play and it really shows. Also, the twist ending felt a little Goosebumps/R.L. Stine-ish to me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

maxnmona posted:

Know anyone who is subscribed to HBO and link their HBOGo to your device.

I'm not sure there's a limit on the number of devices/people you can put on it either, I've got at least 4 people who have access to my HBOGo on their own devices (360s mainly) without any issues.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

stimpy posted:

Last night I watched The Man From Earth

It alright, but it really irks me when you have a character like that and it turns out he's known all of these important historical figures.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

theflyingexecutive posted:

It alright, but it really irks me when you have a character like that and it turns out he's known all of these important historical figures.

And also was Jesus. I mean, come on.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I feel like The Man From Earth suffered from the same misstep Contact did: It has a perfectly ambigious ending, and then they add another 60 seconds to completely favour one interpretation.

That said, I knew it was a filmed play going into it, so I enjoyed it for what it was. I do think it was an interesting concept though - If there was somebody who has lived forever, how on earth would they be able to prove it?

kuddles fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 17, 2013

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
I think the "works better as a concept than movie" critique is pretty valid. If you don't sort of insert yourself into the movie and start thinking along with the characters "what would I want to ask or discuss" like I did, you're probably just going to think its dopey.

The problem with him knowing famous people though, I'd have to disagree. If he really is 14,000 years old, just by sheer random chance he's almost guaranteed to have come across a few famous people. Especially from further back, when the total Earth's population was much smaller. And just out of curiosity, I'd think that you'd make your way toward the major art/political/social movements of the day.

But as you can see, when I was watching my brain just took a leap right into the movie right along side the other characters, so like I said, if that doesn't happen for you and you're just watching it as though you would any other film, its not going to work for you nearly as well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Do they acknowledge the Carl Reiner/Mel Brooks bit?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do they acknowledge the Carl Reiner/Mel Brooks bit?

Wait, have you not seen The Man from Earth? You should do that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's Tony Todd!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah it helps to think of the movie as network TV sci-fi, and the cast REALLY helps with that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

penismightier posted:

Yeah it helps to think of the movie as network TV sci-fi, and the cast REALLY helps with that.

Plus I'm pretty sure the director or somebody used to work on Star Trek. You'll know, because as some point somebody refers to this being like something out of Star Trek.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Plus I'm pretty sure the director or somebody used to work on Star Trek. You'll know, because as some point somebody refers to this being like something out of Star Trek.

Well it was written by Jerome Bixby who's probably most famous for his Star Trek scripts. Dude invented the mirror universe!

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

For those of you who have gotten Super HD to work, are you using Windows 8? https://signup.netflix.com/superhd says:

"Netflix Super HD will be available on PS3, WiiU, Windows 8, Roku, Apple TVs with 1080p, and select smart TVs and Blu-Ray players. More devices coming soon."

and it says my ISP supports it, but I haven't found any movies which use it, and I'm wondering if it's because I'm on Windows 7. I even tried spoofing my user agent, which also didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
How dare they make it Win 8 only.

• Locked thread