Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Laserface posted:

no please Australian government please throwing money and these two lovely companies so they can continue failing.

dissolve ford/holden AU, sell the plants to manufacturers that can build popular models here, abolish the tariffs on cars that are imported.

cheap cars that people actually want! what a novel idea.

Tariffs are pretty well gone these days, especially with the countries we have free trade agreements with. Tariffs have been going down since the 70s.

People don't want cheap cars in Australia, they want the latest SUV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

blk posted:

I'm guessing this means America's chance of getting a ute has gone from zero to even more zero :(

Damnit, we were so close a few years ago. :(

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The Shelby group finally did another compact car:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Does it go like hell?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Oh yes. Stock 252 hp, with an additional 50+ from a custom tune for an extra $500. Of course, the Shelby package costs an extra $15,000 on top of the stock Focus price and limited to 500. The package includes upgraded brakes, rotors, springs, struts, swaybars, fully functional aerodynamics, and so forth. You can also choose from twin stripes, checkered side, or none at all as far as graphics go.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Ranger, the other light trucks and reasonably sized half-tons were killed by CAFE regs. Considering it has to be ridiculously huge, I think the styling of the Atlas is done pretty well. The headlights in particular are well done and elegant. I think it's a nice step away from the 'make everything look like a big rig' look that the full-size truck market has been afflicted with for a decade.

And it doesn't have squircle lights or JC-Whitney vents all over it
How did CAFE kill the light truck? Why couldn't light trucks have been brought up to the same efficiency standards as comparable size cars while still maintaining utility? Seems like a lot of americans would *love* to have a pickup truck that gets better than 8mpg.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

grover posted:

How did CAFE kill the light truck? Why couldn't light trucks have been brought up to the same efficiency standards as comparable size cars while still maintaining utility? Seems like a lot of americans would *love* to have a pickup truck that gets better than 8mpg.

quote:

Unfortunately, the footprint method has the opposite effect; rather than encouraging auto makers to strive for unprecedented fuel economy in their passenger car offerings, it has incentivized auto makers to build larger cars, in particular, more car-based crossovers that can be classified as “trucks” as used to skew fleet average figures, much the same way the PT Cruiser did. Full-size trucks have become a “protected class”, safe from the most aggressive targets, while compact trucks have become nearly extinct as a result.

By 2025, a theoretical Ranger with a footprint of 50 square feet would have to achieve fuel economy somewhere approaching 50 mpg CAFE. The 75 square foot F-150 would only have to reach in the high 30s CAFE.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/10/how-cafe-killed-compact-trucks-and-station-wagons/

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Devyl posted:

Oh yes. Stock 252 hp, with an additional 50+ from a custom tune for an extra $500. Of course, the Shelby package costs an extra $15,000 on top of the stock Focus price and limited to 500. The package includes upgraded brakes, rotors, springs, struts, swaybars, fully functional aerodynamics, and so forth. You can also choose from twin stripes, checkered side, or none at all as far as graphics go.

From what I read, most of the upgraded internals are ford racing parts with the exhaust coming from Borla. So Shelby is really only providing the install, the tune and the appearance package. For $15,000.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

From what I read, most of the upgraded internals are ford racing parts with the exhaust coming from Borla. So Shelby is really only providing the install, the tune and the appearance package. For $15,000.

And the Shelby name, can't forget that! It's worth what at least two/three grand?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
~ 15$

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=shelby+signature&_sacat=&_odkw=shelby&_osacat=0&_from=R40

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

BabyMauler posted:

I think the Taurus looks great with that grill. Much better than the odd tri-bar it debut with. It kind of harkens back to the Crown Victoria that it is replacing in spirit. And keeps its own unique face as the big Ford sedan until it's next redo in a few years.

I am definitely no 'Merican car fanboy, but have you seen the new Ford Fusion in person? It is absolutely gorgeous. I walked past one in the parking lot the other day and did a double take. I had to walk back over to it -- it is shocking how absolutely HOT it is. A Taurus SHO with a front fascia similar to the Fusion would probably be awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's because it's a Mondeo :ssh:

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

BigBadBrewsta posted:

I am definitely no 'Merican car fanboy, but have you seen the new Ford Fusion in person? It is absolutely gorgeous. I walked past one in the parking lot the other day and did a double take. I had to walk back over to it -- it is shocking how absolutely HOT it is. A Taurus SHO with a front fascia similar to the Fusion would probably be awesome.

I was drooling over one in that ice blue metallic paint. It looks hot as gently caress, but they cater to different markets in think. It stands out again this the Camcordstima, Koreans, and trashes the Malibu and the Avenger/200 twins when it comes to looks. Taurus hangs with the upcoming Impala, and Charger/300 as big American sedans.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

KozmoNaut posted:

That's because it's a Mondeo :ssh:

In the sense that it's called a Mondeo in Europe, yes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Apparently someone leaked the pictures of the C7 convertible.

I think it redeems the rear end of that car by a lot, although it also looks a mite photoshoppy.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 17, 2013

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Bugatti claiming next Veyron will be 550 pounds lighter, yet have over 400 horsepower more over current Super Sport. That's 1600 horsepower!! Estimated 0-60 in 1.8 seconds.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1081005_bugatti-super-veyron-to-reach-288-mph

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sim posted:

Bugatti claiming next Veyron will be 550 pounds lighter, yet have over 400 horsepower more over current Super Sport. That's 1600 horsepower!! Estimated 0-60 in 1.8 seconds.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1081005_bugatti-super-veyron-to-reach-288-mph

I want them to make it, just to prove Clarkson wrong when he claimed that it was the end of an era and that we would never see another car like it ever again, after driving the Veyron.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think it redeems the rear end of that car by a lot, although it also looks a mite photoshoppy.

I think the rear looks a lot worse without the spoiler. Just like the C6, you need a spoiler just to fix that awful center brake light sticking up so much. It'd be better if the rear was just flush so you didn't need either.

Edit: vv it's like a roller coaster except you have full control and all the dangers that entails. I've been on Kingda Ka which I believe does 0-128mph in 3.5 seconds. I could not imagine being personally responsible for my own safety in something like that.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 17, 2013

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

sim posted:

Estimated 0-60 in 1.8 seconds.

This is blowing my loving mind, goddamn I can't even imagine what the acceleration feels like. I mean, I thought low 3-second motorcycle was a hit. This, this, I don't even know.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

sim posted:

How much longer before the 0-60 time is "Now"?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Morphix posted:

This is blowing my loving mind, goddamn I can't even imagine what the acceleration feels like. I mean, I thought low 3-second motorcycle was a hit. This, this, I don't even know.

I'm not really sure you can do that. I mean yeah, top fuel dragsters do it in less than 1 second, but they have super-sticky wrinkle-wall drag slicks, super-sticky track surfaces, loads of wheelspin, over 8000hp and massive downforce from sheer exhaust pressure.

And this is a fully street legal, fully-equipped luxury car with airbags etc. and road tires they're talking about a 1.8 second 0-60 time with "only" 1600hp? Sounds a bit out there to me.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If the rear tires are wide & sticky enough, it's possible. Remember the current tires are special-order only and cost $20,000 for a set of four. With enough money and science, anything is possible. I'll take two.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
By the time the Veyron cracked sixty, though, the dragster would be a couple of hundred feet farther down the track and approaching three times that speed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Devyl posted:

If the rear tires are wide & sticky enough, it's possible. Remember the current tires are special-order only and cost $20,000 for a set of four. With enough money and science, anything is possible. I'll take two.

They also have to work in a reasonably civilized manner and last more than just a few hundred km.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Morphix posted:

Your motorcycle's pulling about 1g; this Veyron's pulling about 1.5gs. Aircraft carrier catapults do 0-165mph in about 2 seconds- roughly 3.5gs. I can't imagine trying to remain in control of a car with that much acceleration.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 17, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

grover posted:

Your motorcycle's pulling about 1g; this Veyron's pulling about 1.5gs. Aircraft carrier catapults do 0-165mph in about 2 seconds- roughly 3.5gs. I can't imagine trying to remain in control of a car with that much acceleration.

Honestly, I can't think of a better way to die either.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not really sure you can do that. I mean yeah, top fuel dragsters do it in less than 1 second, but they have super-sticky wrinkle-wall drag slicks, super-sticky track surfaces, loads of wheelspin, over 8000hp and massive downforce from sheer exhaust pressure.

And this is a fully street legal, fully-equipped luxury car with airbags etc. and road tires they're talking about a 1.8 second 0-60 time with "only" 1600hp? Sounds a bit out there to me.

The Atom V8 is capable of close to 2 seconds flat with 500hp and 550kg curb weight and R888 tires so it's definitely possible on "street" tires when you're around 1kg/hp.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Keep in mind this is subject to diminishing returns.

Their 1.8 second figure very well might be possible, but the amount of power and weight drop to get down to 1.7, 1.6, etc will rise very quickly (probably exponentially)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
At some point the returns probably become so little, and the engine lifetime so short, that you'd just go "gently caress it, solid rocket boosters are the way to go". Pretty easy with something like that to get accleration on the order of 10-15G, even with a package weighing upwards of 1000kg.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'd watch the gently caress out of Top Solid Rocket Fuel drag races.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The updated Veyron will be something to see when it goes for the record.

It just makes me wonder what a domestic or an Asian Bugatti beater would look like, assuming they had the money, will and good press to do it. Sal Patel's full weight TT Viper does the 1/4 mile in 6.96 seconds at 215mph. All that and the car is street legal. Mark Carlyle's Corvette is even faster yet still street legal if a little bare bones on the inside. If tuners can produce streetable cars well in excess of 2000hp, then a major automaker should be able to do the same in a relatively reliable and livable package. How they would do it is where things get interesting. I don't think sixteen cylinders is as important as forced induction in this equation. A 10+ liter V12 based of the Viper block with multiair, direct injection, and some turbos would be absolutely monstrous. Yes, this is my fantastically implausible motorhead dream.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If you want pure acceleration numbers, you need a fuckoff huge Roots blower. When you're counting tenths of a second, twin turbo setups still have lag that makes a difference. You want the torque and you want it now. I'm honestly surprised they don't just twin charge the Veyron to get that extra 400 horses.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I wonder if there ever will be a modern twin-charged production car. It's been done to Ion Redlines and Cobalt SS's :v:.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think reliability is the problem, here. The more power you extract from a given displacement (primarily through forced induction I'd guess), the more stress the engine is under. I just posted in another thread earlier today -- you can get 400 horsepower from a 1.8 high-compression 4-banger with an enormous turbo and intercooler setup, or you can get it from a bigass cast-iron pushrod V8 running pump gas if it just so happens to displace about 8 litres. The V8 is the one that's going to last a lot longer on the street, though. The really impressive thing about the Veyron isn't the power it makes, that it's daily-driveable if you were rich and insane enough to do so.

If you twincharged the Veyron (quad-charged? octo-charged? gently caress knows) and ran it on pure nitromethane you'd be getting up into top fuel numbers, but also top fuel engine lifetimes.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Doesn't VW have a small displacement twin charged car? I'm actually kind of sure there's been a few over the years from different companies, but I don't have time to Google it right now.

Sviatoslav
Feb 9, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I really want some mad as a hatter company to make a rear-engined FWD car someday, just to mess with people.

That company was called SAAB, and they pretty much did exactly that. The first time I popped a hood on an old 900 to do an alternator I was like :wtc:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Bob Sheaves, Allpar's resident automotive engineer, thinks that compacted graphite blocks are the future of high performance engines.
http://www.precisionenginetech.com/tech-explained/2009/07/02/compacted-graphite-engine-blocks/
It's some pretty trick stuff as far as I can tell. As ridiculous as the current hypercars are, we probably aren't even close to the summit of automotive excess.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I actually care very little about Bugattis or other hypercars. All they are to me is proof that you can do almost anything with an unlimited budget (and they're also kind of ugly - I can't believe they actually forced engineers to work around that design instead of the other way around). I think the new Toyobaru is a far more exciting and interesting car than the Veyron ever was.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I agree, I've never been into these supercars because I know I'll never be able to afford one, and even if I could, I certainly wouldn't spend millions on one when I could buy something that helps people or retains/gains value.

edit: VVV good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Cream_Filling posted:

I actually care very little about Bugattis or other hypercars. All they are to me is proof that you can do almost anything with an unlimited budget (and they're also kind of ugly - I can't believe they actually forced engineers to work around that design instead of the other way around). I think the new Toyobaru is a far more exciting and interesting car than the Veyron ever was.

Hey man. That's cool. I don't think anyone was really talking or asking about who cares about the Veyron though.