Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Shalinor posted:

Eventually, they'll burn their good will, the value of the company will be exhausted, and the directors of the mobile division will deploy their golden parachutes whilst the whole thing comes crashing down.

It's really only weird because the rest of Squeenix isn't quite doing this. They're still releasing quality products, though with increasingly questionable design. I'd kind of expect them to be running the whole lot into the ground for short-term profit, if they're willing to do that with mobile (ie. "the most important market that we know of moving forward").

Maybe they will be forced to release 6 then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

All Playdek Inc. games and IAP are on sale for 0.99 this weekend.

I highly recommend everyone get Ascension and Summoner Wars. I picked up Penny Arcade just in time for some weekend traveling.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

I highly recommend everyone get Ascension and Summoner Wars. I picked up Penny Arcade just in time for some weekend traveling.

The "Everything" Bundle in Summoner Wars is only a buck too - and it DOES give you every other purchase in the store. I don't even play this game very often!

Somebody help me, I may have an App Store addiction :ohdear:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Thirst Mutilator posted:

The "Everything" Bundle in Summoner Wars is only a buck too

Its $8.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All Playdek stuff is on sale for .99.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/summoner-wars/id493752948?mt=8

quote:

Everything Bundle 1$0.99

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thanks for the heads up on this sale! Now what exactly are these "promo cards" in Ascension?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Extra little packs with cards you can't get in any of the expansions. They're pretty fun, and since you're saving a few bucks from the sell you should get it if you like the game :)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Thirst Mutilator posted:

The "Everything" Bundle in Summoner Wars is only a buck too - and it DOES give you every other purchase in the store. I don't even play this game very often!

Somebody help me, I may have an App Store addiction :ohdear:

I didn't care for it when I first tried it, but for a buck I'll give it another shot just because I like Ascension so much. So far my list is Summoner Wars everything bundle, Penny Arcade and the Ascension Promo Pack. Is the Nightfall expansion worth getting? I've had the core game in my backlog for ages.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Minidust posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this sale! Now what exactly are these "promo cards" in Ascension?

A few extra cards that you should get just because there's no chat and it's annoying having to recreate the game when the person you challenge doesn't have the expansion, even if that mother fucker Pathwarden occasionally ruins the loving games.

PATHWARDEN :argh:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I don't remember seeing any, so does anybody have any opinions of Real Boxing? Worth the $4.99? Im looking for a Fight Night on ios game, which I totally would think would be worth it.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Shalinor posted:

Eventually, they'll burn their good will, the value of the company will be exhausted, and the directors of the mobile division will deploy their golden parachutes whilst the whole thing comes crashing down.

It's really only weird because the rest of Squeenix isn't quite doing this. They're still releasing quality products, though with increasingly questionable design. I'd kind of expect them to be running the whole lot into the ground for short-term profit, if they're willing to do that with mobile (ie. "the most important market that we know of moving forward").

Other than this game I don't really think the problem with their stuff is quality though, is it? People complain about price but most of their games on the App Store are pretty good, especially relative to everything else on the platform. Some control issues aside (but again, the ones I've played control better than many native iOS games. And as long as they are making money I think the complaints about price don't matter.

Even with ATB, I think the biggest thing that bums people out (again, price excluded) is the missed potential. It's not like its the first low-to-no gameplay game on the store, and people haven't poo poo on those as hard as they are with this.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

loudog999 posted:

I don't remember seeing any, so does anybody have any opinions of Real Boxing? Worth the $4.99? Im looking for a Fight Night on ios game, which I totally would think would be worth it.

Well, Fight Night IS on iOS and it isn't half bad. I'm not a huge fan of the tilt to move it has going on, but it's a drat find time waster.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Holy gently caress! I'm glad I hesitated on Summoner Wars. I'm buying every single one of Playdek's anythings.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What's the word on Nightfall? I have Penny Arcade, Ascension, and Summoner Wars already and love them all, should I give this a shot as well?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

Well, Fight Night IS on iOS and it isn't half bad. I'm not a huge fan of the tilt to move it has going on, but it's a drat find time waster.

Guess I will check it out instead. Thanks

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

What's the word on Nightfall? I have Penny Arcade, Ascension, and Summoner Wars already and love them all, should I give this a shot as well?

Yeah, if you like that style of game, Nightfall is certainly worth picking up, especially when it's on super-sale.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Wait, so for the Ascension promo pack cards, do all players need to get them to use them like the 2 expansions? I need this information for my friends because I already bought the pack on impulse anyway. Also, is the Nightfall expansion worthwhile?

I did try Fluxx a little bit earlier, seems okay, though the animations are kinda stuttery and slow. I've played a lot of Food Fight already; it's decent, though I don't think it's at the level of Ascension and I'm not sure how appropriate the pace of the game would be for async play.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, you can only play in games with people who own the same sets as you do for Ascension. So if you own all of them, you can join any game, but your friends will be restricted to games using sets they own.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Are there any good Qix style games? I'm in the mood

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Weird, guess it just wasn't updating for me.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Det_no posted:

Holy gently caress! I'm glad I hesitated on Summoner Wars. I'm buying every single one of Playdek's anythings.

Goddammit, I literally bought the Summoner Wars bundle for the $8 like two days ago. :argh:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Are there any good Qix style games? I'm in the mood

There's a game who's name I can't for the life of remember. Came out around 2009. Something like Dr Awesome, but it used the Qix gameplay mechanic to cure people of disease by cutting out germs. There was a cheesy storyline to go with it as well. I'm sure someone can name it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Roly Poly Putt went free. And I'm still on the first part of Rio, too. Sorry, productivity :smithicide:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Any Beastie Bay advice from the more addicted out there? I wandered the net awhile but for once a decent guide doesn't seem to be out there or pretty well hidden if it is. It appears there is the typically kairosoft type of building placement mechanics on top of the collecting and tweaking your monster team.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
Has there been any talk about Rails yet? Apparently it's a remake of Shortline Railroad, but I'm not familiar with that one.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
Is the Penny Arcade card game any good? And where is the Nightfall expansion? I don't see an IAP menu, in game, and it doesn't appear to exist as a separate app in the App Store

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I'm not sure this is really the case, unfortunately--this kind of monetizing seems fairly endemic to the Japanese iOS market. Sorcerian for iOS is another good example--the thing costs an exorbitant 2500 yen ($30 in the US app store) and you'd have to shell out at least half that in addition in IAP to get your character roster/item storage up to par with the PC version. And each fool-proof resurrection costs money too. (There's a chance of permanently losing characters in normal resurrection attempts). A lot of other Japanese iOS games I've seen have similar pricing schemes too. Maybe Japanese consumers are less annoyed being nickle-and-dimed for everything. Though ATB is still pretty egregious even by those standards.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Shalinor posted:

Genpei Turtle pretty much nailed it, but I think it's more the way the mobile market is going. Companies are releasing games for free now, in the hopes they make their money in IAP. Some companies do it really well, and others don't. In Square's case, I think they believed they could release something like this and get away with it, because that's how the mobile market works. They just went a little bit to far on the "monetize everything" side of things.

The sad thing is, in the end this game will still probably make a ton of money for Square, regardless of the reviews. I'm sure they know this. Remember, it's not the people who spend a buck here and there who are their target market. It's the people who spend $50 at a time on IAP/fun bucks/I Win Buttons that make them the money.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Japanese are into some really weird IAP poo poo that just doesn't compute for a lot of westerners.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Gachapon is pretty popular in Japan (And apparently now in the US, too) but Square Enix's attempt at that was also pretty lovely. They pretty much made it so that playing and paying to win in Guardian Cross are both equally unrewarding and tedious. I don't know how you can gently caress up a Gachapon model that easily but they managed to do it. It's why Mobage is beating them pretty soundly with Marvel and Rage of Bahamut.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Nickoten posted:

(And apparently now in the US, too)
Yeah, thanks for that Newell.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
is there any way to demand a refund for this atb game? I really wish I had come here first before sinking money into such a pile of poo poo.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
This Final Fantasy IAP is like buying packs of trading cards. Where you spend a few dollars here and there and get random pieces of a set, all for a product that doesn't really DO anything per se. Are trading cards still a big thing in Japan?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jik Waffleson posted:

Has there been any talk about Rails yet? Apparently it's a remake of Shortline Railroad, but I'm not familiar with that one.
I don't know what this is but the screenshots really grab me. I'll try it out.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Nickoten posted:

Gachapon is pretty popular in Japan (And apparently now in the US, too) but Square Enix's attempt at that was also pretty lovely. They pretty much made it so that playing and paying to win in Guardian Cross are both equally unrewarding and tedious. I don't know how you can gently caress up a Gachapon model that easily but they managed to do it. It's why Mobage is beating them pretty soundly with Marvel and Rage of Bahamut.

Guardian Cross was actually pretty successful until it got hit with a series of hacks and exploits that made Diablo 2 Battle.net seem secure. Tough to keep people dumping hundreds/thousands of dollars into tickets hoping for a rare card when dupers are offering copies for $10 each. It's a lot worse than that summary, but once a "collectible" game loses the illusion of integrity like that it's impossible to put the genie back in the bottle.

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.

Minidust posted:

This Final Fantasy IAP is like buying packs of trading cards. Where you spend a few dollars here and there and get random pieces of a set, all for a product that doesn't really DO anything per se. Are trading cards still a big thing in Japan?

Buying IAP with random results (like packs of trading cards) was huge in Japan, but supposedly a new law has banned it (or severely restricted it), impacting a lot of the big publishers.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Zwilnik posted:

Buying IAP with random results (like packs of trading cards) was huge in Japan, but supposedly a new law has banned it (or severely restricted it), impacting a lot of the big publishers.

I wonder where the line is drawn then, and I find it pretty telling about the Japanese gaming community/culture that the government needed to legislate that

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I wonder where the line is drawn then, and I find it pretty telling about the Japanese gaming community/culture that the government needed to legislate that

The specific ban mandates that slot-machine mechanics need to disclose the specific percentage drop rates and not just be like "Hey, you have a chance to win the SUPER RARE thing!!!". Now it says "You have a 0.001% chance to win the SUPER RARE thing!!!"

Though DeNA's stock price is UP since the ban was announced late last spring and went into effect in September.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009
Are there any of the Playdek games that are actually good/fun in single-player mode? I don't think I'd play multi-player very often, if at all, so I'm hesitant, even at 99 cents. Does any particular title stand out, from an AI point of view?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Invisble Manuel posted:

Are there any of the Playdek games that are actually good/fun in single-player mode? I don't think I'd play multi-player very often, if at all, so I'm hesitant, even at 99 cents. Does any particular title stand out, from an AI point of view?

Ascension is fun single-player. Summoner Wars and Penny Arcade less so.

• Locked thread