Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Liesmith posted:

They should have an Adeptus Titanicus book, like the Battlefleet Koronus book. Wanna roll around in a Titan squashing heretics and flashing my Rosette

I have a thing I want to do if I ever run a 40K RPG: drop a Titan on the PCs. Or more specifically, the city they're in. From orbit. By surprise. And it's a Chaos Titan. I figure you don't piss off anyone with a Chaos Titan off badly enough to USE it without being badass enough to cope with it, so they should be ok in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Careful if you do that in a Deathwatch game, the players might just be nuts enough to try and take it down.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Riso posted:

Careful if you do that in a Deathwatch game, the players might just be nuts enough to try and take it down.

And they might even roll well enough to do it.

Fake Edit: Of course, the Rogue Trader players just need to get back to their ship, gain space superiority and then bomb the thing into scrap metal. Or find a way to steal it and profit!

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ZearothK posted:

And they might even roll well enough to do it.

Fake Edit: Of course, the Rogue Trader players just need to get back to their ship, gain space superiority and then bomb the thing into scrap metal. Or find a way to steal it and profit!

Im pretty sure that a pre-erratta deathwatch lascannon could take out a titan every round, what with righteous fury letting you reroll the entire damage roll every time you get a 10

Terror storm
Oct 23, 2010

Your head is worth nothing,
and that's a good thing.
Just to note Only War is now available for download at Drivethru RPG for $30 or $10 if you bought the Beta.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
FFG have released a preview of Ark of Lost Souls, a Deathwatch adventure/supplement that adds space hulks to the game.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

MaliciousOnion posted:

FFG have released a preview of Ark of Lost Souls, a Deathwatch adventure/supplement that adds space hulks to the game.

Oh man I've been wanting something like this for ages.
I really want to run a DW game where my players are all part of the same chapter (and not actually in DW) stuck on a space hulk.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just started an IRC Rogue Trader game for YCS peeps and drat. On the one hand it's all prepublished adventures because this is gonna be a lot of work otherwise. On the other, I somehow found myself with eight players last night. That is at least two too many. One is an ork and one is an eldar. And two are archmilitants. SO my combat encounters got chewed up like whoa.

I was running the Free RPG day adventure, Forsaken Bounty. (fortunately none of my players even thought about making an untouchable). I modified it so that they are salvaging the ship, a Lathe class Monitor Light Cruiser, to be their flagship. This thing was meant for like, three players, but I had eight. It somehow worked out, although my players literally didn't take a scratch from the warp zombies. One funny thing was that every warp zombie resurrects itself if killed unless you do 15 damage in a single hit. Literally every hit did over 15 damage though so my players never even found that out.

It's funny how the game predicts certain things and then fails to predict others. Like, there's a thing in the aftermath where it says "lose 8 profit factor if your dudes somehow managed to wreck the ship they are flying in on" and I was like, how would that even happen? Turns out it happens if your players insist on flying the ship into an asteroid field against the in and out of character suggestions of the GM, then get five degrees of success on a charm roll to convince the captain to do it after she flatly refuses. Whole decks were destroyed, hundreds if not thousands of lives were lost as a significant portion of the crew was vented into space after a collision with part of another ship. welp.

At the same time, the game says "your guys can't contact the ship, all they get on the vox is static" but my players didn't even try that poo poo, the astropath just phoned home with his brain. whoops, guess I have to make up a whole new NPC for the astropath now.

Some of the later published adventures are even worse. There's a part of Lure of the Expanse where you are on the biggest ship in the whole Koronus Expanse, probably bigger than anything in the Calexis Fleet since stuff has started getting appropriated by the Jericho Reach campaign. And there isn't even a hint that your players might want to steal it. The book expects the players to respond to the captain saying "im gonna go off into the unknown now" by hustling to loot everything and get away while they can. I GUARANTEE my players will kill him and take their time looting the ship. I'm already statting that poo poo out based on the Ork Battleship Da Wurldbreaka in Edge of the Abyss. I figure if they want to loot and repair it, that's gonna be a grand endeavor in its own right, since they have to a) fix it up after years in space, b) keep it hidden from any who might want it, be they xenos, other traders, Chaos peeps, imperial officials, or Battlefleet Koronus itself, and c) buy a lot of new components for that poo poo. Even if they do, just using it will attract the worst kind of attention from all those guys and will probably precipitate a war with the Imperial Navy and the Orks. But goddamn, if they can pull that poo poo off it's gonna be glorious. I will be disappointed if my players DONT steal it.

Similarly, theres a Deathwatch adventure where the players are on a planet where everyone if physically taller, stronger, healthier, and otherwise superior to normal human beings. and the game expects you to just clear out the genestealers so that some NPC rogue trader can exploit the place and bring it to the light of the God-Emperor. not once in the whole book does it mention the possibility that one of the players will call home to his space marine pals and say "hey guys, I just found this sick recruiting world, send over a battle-barge or two and lets claim this place for the glory of the chapter!"

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

My only experience with the pre-published adventures is Illumination in the DH core book and after they got to the settlement with the cathedral we spent two hours doing poo poo the adventure doesn't even mention in passing. I had been dropping subtle hints about Aristarchus (GMNPC co-acolyte who leads the players there and is subtly being corrupted by a daemon without his knowledge) and one of the players latched onto him like a box turtle. I had read the adventure and prepared notes on some stuff that I didn't use and basically had to just wing it the entire time.

It was a good introduction to GMing.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Preview for Stars of Inequity is up.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The colony creation rules seem like could be load of fun if they go all out on it and have planets that are actively on fire and made out of gold and appropriate nonsense. Very helpful for a game focused on picking a direction and going until you find something to make profit on.

The vast majority seem to lack pretty crucial gaps in how the scenario works. One of the Rogue Trader books includes a section where you have big super legendary eldar ship protecting you and eldar show up expecting you to come to a meeting despite not having the firepower to drop the big super ship next to you. Not to mention the idea that your not immediately going to pillage everything that looks valuable on the eldar ship in the first place.

My favourite scenario is still the free adventure for Dark Heresy that involved the players investigating a mine. Right at the entrance is a pit that they need to get across. If the player hadn't thought to go ask the quartermaster for some rope the pit will kill 70% of the players. Perhaps the dumbest way to try and sell people on the game.

As to actual good scenarios is the Frozen Reaches. Its about an Ork Waaaugh building up and launching an attack on a highly colonized planet that is sending out a distress call for any Rogue Traders in the area as the Imperial Navy has almost completely buggered off. The planet immediately sells you a massive amount of mining rights and land for virtually nothing. All this becomes meaningless if you cant hold off the Waaaugh. Easy way to get you in as the object of value is obtained and is more about keeping it rather than trying to get it without hurting yourself the way most of these adventures work.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 11, 2013

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kingcom posted:

The colony creation rules seem like could be load of fun if they go all out on it and have planets that are actively on fire and made out of gold and appropriate nonsense. Very helpful for a game focused on picking a direction and going until you find something to make profit on.

The vast majority seem to lack pretty crucial gaps in how the scenario works. One of the Rogue Trader books includes a section where you have big super legendary eldar ship protecting you and eldar show up expecting you to come to a meeting despite not having the firepower to drop the big super ship next to you. Not to mention the idea that your not immediately going to pillage everything that looks valuable on the eldar ship in the first place.

My favourite scenario is still the free adventure for Dark Heresy that involved the players investigating a mine. Right at the entrance is a pit that they need to get across. If the player hadn't thought to go ask the quartermaster for some rope the pit will kill 70% of the players. Perhaps the dumbest way to try and sell people on the game.

As to actual good scenarios is the Frozen Reaches. Its about an Ork Waaaugh building up and launching an attack on a highly colonized planet that is sending out a distress call for any Rogue Traders in the area as the Imperial Navy has almost completely buggered off. The planet immediately sells you a massive amount of mining rights and land for virtually nothing. All this becomes meaningless if you cant hold off the Waaaugh. Easy way to get you in as the object of value is obtained and is more about keeping it rather than trying to get it without hurting yourself the way most of these adventures work.

Yeah I'm reading through the Frozen Reaches again, thinking of running it after Lure of the Expanse, and wondering how my players having a massive imperial battleship that they inevitably steal will affect things. Probably gonna have to throw Da Wurldbreaka in there, have the place be the center of a major ork Waaagh. hmm. It looks really cool but setting up the armies and running the defense against ork invasion might get really complicated for my players, since it's an IRC game. Maybe I should have them set things up in the recruitment thread, between sessions?

But yeah I do like that getting the deal is easy, it's holding onto your investment and making sure you get a return that is hard.

EDIT: dang colony creation rules? That is baller

Liesmith fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 11, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Liesmith posted:

Yeah I'm reading through the Frozen Reaches again, thinking of running it after Lure of the Expanse, and wondering how my players having a massive imperial battleship that they inevitably steal will affect things. Probably gonna have to throw Da Wurldbreaka in there, have the place be the center of a major ork Waaagh. hmm. It looks really cool but setting up the armies and running the defense against ork invasion might get really complicated for my players, since it's an IRC game. Maybe I should have them set things up in the recruitment thread, between sessions?

But yeah I do like that getting the deal is easy, it's holding onto your investment and making sure you get a return that is hard.

EDIT: dang colony creation rules? That is baller

Well you can do the running of the armies off screen, take the information as to what the players want to happen, roll it all and then give them a day to day update. That way you can give them bits of information 'from the front!' (preferably in Starship Troopers style) while they are off doing the 800 billion side fights/objectives it gives you to do.

The colony creation rules are pretty solid too but a little obsessive complicated given it goes larger than planets and solar systems (just accept that its not using real science so deal with it).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Liesmith posted:

Similarly, theres a Deathwatch adventure where the players are on a planet where everyone if physically taller, stronger, healthier, and otherwise superior to normal human beings. and the game expects you to just clear out the genestealers so that some NPC rogue trader can exploit the place and bring it to the light of the God-Emperor. not once in the whole book does it mention the possibility that one of the players will call home to his space marine pals and say "hey guys, I just found this sick recruiting world, send over a battle-barge or two and lets claim this place for the glory of the chapter!"

Yeah this was pretty much dumb as poo poo. The adventure repeatedly points out how similar many aspects of the world are to the "common" world Space Marines recruit from and then has the planetary leader make what is presented as a reasonable case for the party to lie to the crusade authorities about the world being too tainted by Genestealer infiltration to properly colonize so that the planet doesn't get converted into a high-tithe agri-world and lose its warrior culture. This is dumb as hell on several levels, the first and most obvious being that "genestealer infiltrated world chock-full of biological material near to the heart of the crusade" isn't something that gets ignored- its something that probably gets Exterminatus declared on it. The local warriors are also supposedly badass enough that they would require a serious military presence to put down, so its pretty unclear why they'd face losing their warrior culture rather than being basically inducted into the Imperial Guard wholesale. The adventure itself wasn't too badly designed but there clearly wasn't that much thought put into the resolution.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Well, thats a must buy in my book. Colony creation rules and system generation? You'd be able to roll up a few random systems, and when your players decide to wander off the beaten path (ie all the time) just pull one of them out and bam, prepwork done.

I wonder if I can retrofit the rules into the Hitting the Machine Spirits hard campaign I'm running? Only time will tell!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Edge of Darkness is a really good adventure and true to the investigative horror theme of Dark Heresy. It has the acolytes travel to a backwater sector in a hive city to investigate disappearances. And they find out soon that you don't want to be outside when it's dark. 'Cause, you know, there are things in the dark. And you don't know what they are. But they are stalking you. It's been a few years since I ran it, and I recall I had to improvise much of the ending, but the build-up was delicious and my players were horrified.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LGD posted:

Yeah this was pretty much dumb as poo poo. The adventure repeatedly points out how similar many aspects of the world are to the "common" world Space Marines recruit from and then has the planetary leader make what is presented as a reasonable case for the party to lie to the crusade authorities about the world being too tainted by Genestealer infiltration to properly colonize so that the planet doesn't get converted into a high-tithe agri-world and lose its warrior culture. This is dumb as hell on several levels, the first and most obvious being that "genestealer infiltrated world chock-full of biological material near to the heart of the crusade" isn't something that gets ignored- its something that probably gets Exterminatus declared on it. The local warriors are also supposedly badass enough that they would require a serious military presence to put down, so its pretty unclear why they'd face losing their warrior culture rather than being basically inducted into the Imperial Guard wholesale. The adventure itself wasn't too badly designed but there clearly wasn't that much thought put into the resolution.

Also dumb: there were a number of points where the space marines were expected to take off their power armor and use primitive weapons in order to impress a bunch of savages.

And the savages worship the Primarchs. This is probably some dead chapter or lost legion's recruiting world already.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Do any of the books have stats for the Valkyrie and it related variants? I'm getting ready to run an Only War game and while not necessary right now I'd like to be able to use them if the need arises.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

KomradeX posted:

Do any of the books have stats for the Valkyrie and it related variants? I'm getting ready to run an Only War game and while not necessary right now I'd like to be able to use them if the need arises.

I don't think it exists yet.
The closest I have is the Thunderhawk from one of my Deathwatch books.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Ultra Carp

KomradeX posted:

It does have rules for Skimmers, so you can always try scratch-building a Vendetta using the various rules. Shouldn't be too hard.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KomradeX posted:

I think there may be Vulture gunship rules in one of the Rogue Trader supplement but I'm not 100% on that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

KomradeX posted:

Rogue Trader's Into the Storm has the Gun-Cutter, which serves a similar role (though it is a bit larger), so you may want to tweak its stats, that book also has an Aquila Lander, so you should aim for something between the two vessels. The Valkyrie should have the Spacecraft trait, which allows it to operate as a flyer or skimmer at the pilot's behest.

Edit: Actually, since it's in none of the books and it's a slow day at work, this is what I'd cook up for a Valkyrie.

VALKYRIE VTOL
Type: Spacecraft
Tactical Speed: 25m / 14 AU
Cruising Speed: 1100 kph / 5 VU in Space
Manoeuvrability: +10
Structural Integrity: 35
Size: Enormous
Armour: Front 25, Side 25, Rear 20
Crew:Pilot, Co-Pilot, Two Gunners
Carrying Capacity: 12 passengers or equivalent cargo.

Weapons:
1 Pilot-operated Multi-Laser (Facing Front)
2 Gunner-operated Heavy Bolter (Facing Back)
2 Co-Pilot-operated Hellfire Missile Launchers

Special Rules
Spacecraft: This vehicle may exit the atmosphere. While in the atmosphere it may operate as a skimmer or flyer at the pilot’s choice. It gains all benefits and drawbacks of skimmers and flyers. If operating as a flyer, it must be moving at least half its cruising
speed at all times lest it begin a terminal dive to the earth below. In either case, if it becomes completely immobilised due to damage, count the vehicle as destroyed instead as it crashes to the ground (or begins to fall out of the sky in a terminal dive).
Pilot Operated Linked Weaponry: All weapons classified as "Pilot-operated" may be fired by the pilot as one shooting action, at targets no more than one AU apart. Roll for hits and damage separately with each weapon.
Reinforced Hull (Optional, Reduce Maneuvrability by -10 if Used): When a vehicle with a Reinforced Hull receives a Critical Hit, halve the result, rounding up. This quality does not affect rolls on the Critical Hit chart generated by Righteous Fury.

Availabity: Rare

Switch weaponry around according to the model you want.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 17, 2013

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Rogue Trader's Into the Storm has the Gun-Cutter, which serves a similar role (though it is a bit larger), so you may want to tweak its stats, that book also has an Aquila Lander, so you should aim for something between the two vessels. The Valkyrie should have the Spacecraft trait, which allows it to operate as a flyer or skimmer at the pilot's behest.

Edit: Actually, since it's in none of the books and it's a slow day at work, this is what I'd cook up for a Valkyrie.

VALKYRIE VTOL
Type: Spacecraft
Tactical Speed: 25m / 14 AU
Cruising Speed: 1100 kph / 5 VU in Space
Structural Integrity: 35
Armour: Front 25, Side 25, Rear 20
Crew:Pilot, Co-Pilot, Two Gunners
Carrying Capacity: 12 passengers or equivalent cargo.

Weapons:
1 Pilot-operated Multi-Laser (Facing Front)
2 Gunner-operated Heavy Bolter (Facing Back)
2 Co-Pilot-operated Hellfire Missile Launchers

Special Rules
Spacecraft: This vehicle may exit the atmosphere. While in the atmosphere it may operate as a skimmer or flyer at the pilot’s choice. It gains all benefits and drawbacks of skimmers and flyers. If operating as a flyer, it must be moving at least half its cruising
speed at all times lest it begin a terminal dive to the earth below. In either case, if it becomes completely immobilised due to damage, count the vehicle as destroyed instead as it crashes to the ground (or begins to fall out of the sky in a terminal dive).
Pilot Operated Linked Weaponry: All weapons classified as "Pilot-operated" may be fired by the pilot as one shooting action, at targets no more than one AU apart. Roll for hits and damage separately with each weapon.
Reinforced Hull (Optional, Reduce Maneuvrability by -10 if Used): When a vehicle with a Reinforced Hull receives a Critical Hit, halve the result, rounding up. This quality does not affect rolls on the Critical Hit chart generated by Righteous Fury.

Availabity: Rare

Switch weaponry around according to the model you want.

This is excellent, thank you. About how many would be in a Battlefleet Koronus style "squadron?" My group might be running a joint Rogue Trader/Only War game soon, and the numbers might matter.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

apostateCourier posted:

This is excellent, thank you. About how many would be in a Battlefleet Koronus style "squadron?" My group might be running a joint Rogue Trader/Only War game soon, and the numbers might matter.

No idea, I guess it depends on army composition and doctrine. Regular troops are carried by normal landers, while the Valkyries are there to transport special forces and offer light air support, so they wouldn't operate in mixed squadrons except if they needed fighter escort to get where they need to go. If I were to come up with a number I'd have about one for every five or so stormtrooper/paratrooper squads.

Since you are using Rogue Trader, the space-based fighters and bombers (which are perfectly capable of going into the atmosphere) are both extremely expensive and powerful (a Starfury fighter has two fully automatic Lascannons that will make short work of anything short of a titan) so you might want to have them filling the air support role or handwave that despite RAW they can't go into the atmosphere and use other small craft. Even without that, most Rogue Traders will be big on air superiority, so there might be greater numbers of the Vulture pattern, for one.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KomradeX posted:

From Rogue Trader: Citadel of Skulls - Part 2 of the Warpstorm Trilogy

VALKYRIE SKYTALON
The Valkyrie Sky Talon is a variant of the Valkyrie airborne assault carrier commonly used by the Imperial Navy. The Sky Talon is a support aircraft that is used for heavy lifting in combat situations, and has become favoured amongst many Rogue Traders who need a rugged, dependable vehicle that can carry a heavy load under fi re.The Sky Talon uses magnetic lifting clamps to secure its
cargo, assisted by dual grav/pressure clamp rigs and lifting cables when necessary. It is armed for self-defence with a nose turret-mounted heavy bolter for anti-personnel fi re and two Hellstrike missiles under the wings for anti-armour. Despite these weapons, the Sky Talon’s role is firmly that of support, not as a combat gunship.

Type: Flyer
Tactical Speed: 20m/10 AUs
Cruising Speed: 1,100 kph
Structural Integrity: 30
Armour: Front 30, Side 30, Rear 22
Crew: Pilot
Carrying Capacity: 1 to 2 vehicles (size Hulking or smaller, typically 2 Sentinel walkers or 1 rapid assault vehicle) or equivalent sized cargo pod, up to 14 tonnes deadweight lift via line rigs.
Weapons: 1 Chin-mounted Pilot-Operated Heavy Bolter: (Facing Front/Left/Right, Range 120m (2 AUs), Heavy, –/–/10, 2d10 X, Pen 5, Clip 400, Reload 3 Full)
Hellstrike Missile: (Facing Front, Range 800 metres (8 AU), Heavy, 1/–/–, 2d10+20 X, Pen 10, Clip 1, Reload –, Blast (1), Gains +10 to hit ground targets, –10 to hit aerial targets)

Special Rules
Reinforced Hull: When a vehicle with a Reinforced Hull receives a Critical Hit, halve the result, rounding up. This quality does not affect rolls on the Critical Hit chart generated by Righteous Fury.
Sky Lift: As a Full Action, the Sky Talon may drop a vehicle or supply pod it is carrying. The Sky Talon must be within
20 metres of the ground to do so (unless the pilot doesn’t care about the state of the vehicle he’s dropping!). On proceeding
Rounds of combat, the vehicle may operate normally. Alternatively, it can land on top of a vehicle and pick it up for
rapid extraction. This takes 4 Rounds.
Skimmer/Flyer Hybrid: This aircraft is capable of hovering in one place via powerful vector thrust engines for extended periods of time, but also traveling long distances while utilizing aerodynamic principles. It may act as a skimmer or a flyer at the pilot’s discretion.

Liesmith fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 17, 2013

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's pretty close to what ZearothK made, tbh. Like, close enough to be a variant of the same vehicle.

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005
Got the tome of blood.

The crunch was ok, though I didn't look into it much. Lots of weapons, lots of rune weapons, lots of legacy weapons that improve with you, lots of daemon weapon and even a ritual or two. There are also some interesting horde options that help humans survive them better and melee space marines to kill tons more. There is a also a mass combat system that looked interesting (if pretty abstract).

The fluff that wasn't talking about locations in the vortex was lovely. The locations weren't awful, they were just dull and bland and felt like rehashes. There are however a few cool ideas here and there. Like the ocean planet where the water is full of monsters, and not just like monsters lurking far below, but I mean like if you fall in anywhere at anytime, you're going to be attacked momentarily. Also I thought the Drill-Barons were pretty cool, if only for their name.

Overall though, I was fairly disappointed, though it was worth the money, the horde stuff seems especially neat, since I felt hordes didn't really get the page-count they needed in the core book.

Fun thing I noticed, the mages of Q'sal are becoming the "Sages" from ad&d 2nd edition. In the old monster manual, whenever there was a mystery, the omnipresent sages would pipe in to present their half-assed theories about it or slander other sage's half-assed theories.

Dedhed fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 17, 2013

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
the idea of a deathworld that isn't a jungle is cool. I like the thought of a crashed starship making a colony on water-deathworld, defending the perimiter of the ship from the terrors in the ocean, constantly getting attacked by poo poo and yet you gotta go out of that perimiter or let something inside if you want to go fishing. Everyone lives off the fish predators they kill. Something like that.

All this from "water deathworld"

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Anyone have Stars of Inequity yet? It's apparently out; I'm usually a sucker for Rogue Trader supplements, but heard it's super crunchy, and I'm not sure if there's going to be material I'd actually use in there.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

So in order to help learn the rules, my friend and I played a quick Only War skirmish via text chat, and hot drat this game system is great. I love how few dice rolls are done a turn considering how much stuff you are still able to do. I GMed with him playing a Stormtrooper, as he fought some random guardsmen and ork boys.

Setting a blinded man on fire with a hotshot Lasgun, and tearing open a artery of an Ork boy using the choppa of another slain Ork are all in a days work for a Stormtrooper it would seem. That and failing nearly every non-combat roll given to him (took him 3 turns to get un-pinned, with a decent will.)

I cannot wait to play this in person with a group on Saturday, a 5 man squad will be interesting to try and murder. Any advice for people who haven't touched this game system yet?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Suppressing Fire is great. Pinning is a bitch.

Ever since Dark Heresy I've been trying to get this across to my fellow party members (somehow I always end up the guy without the full-auto weapons), they never learn. :saddowns:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Liesmith posted:

the idea of a deathworld that isn't a jungle is cool. I like the thought of a crashed starship making a colony on water-deathworld, defending the perimiter of the ship from the terrors in the ocean, constantly getting attacked by poo poo and yet you gotta go out of that perimiter or let something inside if you want to go fishing. Everyone lives off the fish predators they kill. Something like that.

All this from "water deathworld"

Read the Spatterjay trilogy by Neal Asher, focused around a world in which the oceans literally seethe with life. The root of the eco-system is a leech which bores corkscrew shaped pieces of flesh out of you, and incidentally infect you with a virus which makes you effectively immortal. The longer you live with it the tougher it makes you and the faster you regenerate, until you've got 900 year old humans with arms like oak trees that can bend steel plates.

There are several downsides to this. One is that the entire ecosystem of the planet is based around this, so when I said the ocean was seething I mean everything is constantly eating everything else and constantly regenerating, so if you fall in and aren't heavily armored you're going to spend the rest of your life as a barely aware spinal cord constantly screaming in agony. Two is that the leeches which infect you also have the ability to digest the virus and produce a toxin in their guts which will kill you instantly. A tiny one doesn't have enough to do the job, but there are huge ones the size of submarines that do. Three is that the virus will automatically try to adapt you to the surroundings, so if you don't make sure you have access to a steady diet of offworld food you're going to start turning into something that's best suited to extracting nutrition on this world, i.e. a leech.

So there are dudes who get cut off from society for one reason or another and then turn into these immensely strong leech headed abominations that lose all ability to think or speak.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LeSquide posted:

Anyone have Stars of Inequity yet? It's apparently out; I'm usually a sucker for Rogue Trader supplements, but heard it's super crunchy, and I'm not sure if there's going to be material I'd actually use in there.

It's out on their website but it's not a PDF yet so I don't have it. Want it though. How long does it usually take for the PDF to come out? To be clear, I mean the actual, official, I want to pay for this on drivethrurpg pdf, as opposed to some lovely pirated scan that won't let me search the text or copy-paste rules in a game thread for my players or do anything else useful. Am I gonna have to wait a couple months to give them my money, or what?

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Speaking of paying for things, I am a bit disappointed in the value for money of Soul Reaver. the adventure is a little goofy, with (if you are planning on playing this don't read on obviously) A classic Dark Sun plot of sneaking into an evil city and getting enslaved, then having to fight your way out. This is cool, but there are pieces missing, like you're assumed to have found some "weapons caches" for your slave rebellion, and get achievement points for doing it, but there is no description anywhere of finding weapons caches. Similarly there's a space marine slave you are supposed to recruit for your escape, and to do so you need to get him his power armor and bolter and whatever other wargear. Only there's no stats for that poo poo, no description of where it is, nothing. I also am not impressed with the whole adventure tbh, there really isn't enough "Among the villainous Eldar" stuff for me. And there are forced failures on the part of the PCs which I consider pretty lame

Now you may say, Liesmith you're a decent GM maybe, why don't you just make that poo poo up? And think of another way to deal with the stuff you don't like? and naturally I can do that, and probably will. but that book is $20 on Drivethrurpg right now and when I buy an adventure I am hoping for something more like Lure of the Expanse or the first Warpstorm book.

Also, there's a lot of really nonsensical decisions made here. They have a number of books with eldar psyker powers and equipment, usable only by warlocks and stuff. And yet they don't offer xp costs for those powers, and they don't have a Dark Eldar class with a Psy Rating, and I find myself wondering wtf. Surely they knew that some people would want to make homebrew exodites, or craftworld eldar, or pathfinders. I already have a player running an eldar without any of the pain token mechanics. So why not make it as easy as possible for us to gin up our own stuff? I'm really disappointed in the lack of utility in this book. It comes really close sometimes but ultimately just fails to deliver, for me.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Liesmith posted:

It's out on their website but it's not a PDF yet so I don't have it. Want it though. How long does it usually take for the PDF to come out? To be clear, I mean the actual, official, I want to pay for this on drivethrurpg pdf, as opposed to some lovely pirated scan that won't let me search the text or copy-paste rules in a game thread for my players or do anything else useful. Am I gonna have to wait a couple months to give them my money, or what?

FFG usually releases its PDFs a 3-4 weeks after the print version comes out.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Edge of Darkness is a really good adventure and true to the investigative horror theme of Dark Heresy. It has the acolytes travel to a backwater sector in a hive city to investigate disappearances. And they find out soon that you don't want to be outside when it's dark. 'Cause, you know, there are things in the dark. And you don't know what they are. But they are stalking you. It's been a few years since I ran it, and I recall I had to improvise much of the ending, but the build-up was delicious and my players were horrified.

The last Dark Heresy mission I ran was this, however the team very quickly discovered the key location and went in guns blazing. I threw everything at them within the story perimeters but my rolls as astonishingly bad and the team wiped the floor. Heck, even the Psyker got Perils Of The Warp that didn't affect the team and turned out to turn the battle more to their favour (Surely Bonds Of The Earth, they landed just fine, the bad guys didn't). Was a good time otherwise, but I didn't get the result I personally wanted but the group enjoyed themselves.

I'm doing a custom adventure that intends to get the team going undercover in a prison, in order to gather information that may otherwise not be obtained. I'm looking forward to running it, its pretty big in scope.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Wrong thread!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I put my Deathwatch party against some Dark Eldar and the Techmarine with 10 points of toughness DR, 10 from armour and another 2 from Machine is actually immune to splinter cannon fire. That was a kind of awkward experience. I expected them to shrug off splinter rifles pretty easily even from 20 magnitude hordes but not that!

The tri-dark lance Ravagers made more of an impact though.

I'm thinking of introducing a cabal of Dark Eldar practising sorcery in the Maelstrom (It's a Badab War era game) using the precedent that in Path of the Renegade that there are a couple that do it, El'Uriaq being the main one. Think that's a bit too special snowflake? They're currently investigating a planet that's stuck in a patch of slow time and've come across the remnants of a civilisation based on the crew of a crashed Rogue Trader vessel. I'm thinking that the Dark Eldar are using the captured navigator as the focus for some sorcerous ritual or something.

Any suggestions for how to put in some non-vehicle Dark Eldar encounters that're actually nasty? There's only so many Blasters I can drop in squads before it gets a bit boring and I only want to use one unit of Incubi towards the end. I'm pretty sure Wyches would just bounce off them, same with Mandrakes.

Maybe Haemonculus + Warp Beasts? The rules for them have Warp Weapons which ignore armour but they'd need to be a decent horde to get through the toughness DR and making them magnitude 20 puts them at serious risk of one shotting a marine. Deathwatch is pretty fiddly in that way, you've got 20+ points of DR but only 20 wounds so things tend to either bounce off or really slug you. I guess they are Space Marines and Fate points are there to be burnt so I can probably get away with it.

Karandras fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 19, 2013

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Karandras posted:

I put my Deathwatch party against some Dark Eldar and the Techmarine with 10 points of toughness DR, 10 from armour and another 2 from Machine is actually immune to splinter cannon fire. That was a kind of awkward experience. I expected them to shrug off splinter rifles pretty easily even from 20 magnitude hordes but not that!

I'm thinking of introducing a cabal of Dark Eldar practising sorcery in the Maelstrom (It's a Badab War era game) using the precedent that in Path of the Renegade that there are a couple that do it, El'Uriaq being the main one. Think that's a bit too special snowflake? They're currently investigating a planet that's stuck in a patch of slow time and've come across the remnants of a civilisation based on the crew of a crashed Rogue Trader vessel. I'm thinking that the Dark Eldar are using the captured navigator as the focus for some sorcerous ritual or something.

Any suggestions for how to put in some non-vehicle Dark Eldar encounters that're actually nasty? There's only so many Blasters I can drop in squads before it gets a bit boring and I only want to use one unit of Incubi towards the end. I'm pretty sure Wyches would just bounce off them, same with Mandrakes.

Maybe Haemonculus + Warp Beasts? The rules for them have Warp Weapons which ignore armour but they'd need to be a decent horde to get through the toughness DR and making them magnitude 20 puts them at serious risk of one shotting a marine. Deathwatch is pretty fiddly in that way, you've got 20+ points of DR but only 20 wounds so things tend to either bounce off or really slug you. I guess they are Space Marines and Fate points are there to be burnt so I can probably get away with it.

witchblades are like souped up force weapons, there are blaster pistols and rifles and cannons in The Soul Reaver (which I just got done lambasting) that have like, 16-20 pen and the felling quality, Heat lances are laser weapons that have 15 pen, there are some pretty brutal whips and agonizers in that book as well. sure your dark eldars aren't gonna do a lot of damage anyway due to toughness, but the felling quality can help there and many of the Dark Eldar weapons in the book have additional qualities that will gently caress you up if you take even one wound from them, like shock, or characteristic damage, or particularly virulent toxins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Karandras posted:

Dark Eldar grenades are decent from what I remember, if they know marines are coming you may want to start handing out a few to each soldier to start throwing them. A full squad all dumping these on a party might be the sweet spot of damage to start chipping away at health.