Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

The Rokstar posted:

Obama held a press conference with children.

Slenderman is often seen with children.

Clearly, Obama is literally Slenderman.

Or, to put it this way:

Obama can't fly.

A stone can't fly.

Ergo Obama is a stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I might take a wild stab that Bush probably had children around for some signing of things. Possibly No Child Left Behind?

Of course, they'll respond with BLAMING BUSH!!

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Kidney Stone posted:

Or, to put it this way:

Obama can't fly.

A stone can't fly.

Ergo Obama is a stone.

So... if he weighs the same as a duck...

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Deuce posted:

I might take a wild stab that Bush probably had children around for some signing of things. Possibly No Child Left Behind?

Here ya go!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_children

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

baw posted:

I just went with "Oh a mediocre center-right president. let's compare him to hitler."

People are usually amazed that a liberal could possibly think Obama is mediocre. It really messes with what they've been told (liberals worship Obama.) It also opens the door to discussion of real, substantial criticisms of Obama's presidency.

I was laughed out of the political subforum of a sports blog a few months ago for daring to suggest that Obama was comparable to a Republican in the 90s. They told me I "must not be a real liberal" or else I would "understand what Obama is really doing." Whatever that means.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

Kro-Bar posted:

I was laughed out of the political subforum of a sports blog a few months ago for daring to suggest that Obama was comparable to a Republican in the 90s. They told me I "must not be a real liberal" or else I would "understand what Obama is really doing." Whatever that means.

So... since they apparently "understand what Obama is really doing," does that make them "real liberals?" :confused:

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

I Am The Scum posted:

So... since they apparently "understand what Obama is really doing," does that make them "real liberals?" :confused:

They definitely took an odd tack. Normally the conservatives around here (Oklahoma) make the assertion that liberals have the wool pulled over their eyes by King Obama while they--the TRUE Americans--can see his Emperor's clothes for the gossamer they are.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Kro-Bar posted:

What Obama is "really doing" is only noticed by true Americans, silly. Us liberals are too blind to see the REAL issue.

The REAL issue is that he's black, of course.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I find the insinuation only 'Real Americans' are Republicans to be rather disingenuous. Doesn't that kind of imply that their ideal 'real America' is a pseudo-dictatorship where the Republicans rule unchallenged and unhinged? For a bunch of people who claim to love the founding fathers and the principles the country was built on, they seem to have a real scorn for the democratic institution, open discourse, freedom of expression, and the office of POTUS.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Poizen Jam posted:

I find the insinuation only 'Real Americans' are Republicans to be rather disingenuous. Doesn't that kind of imply that their ideal 'real America' is a pseudo-dictatorship where the Republicans rule unchallenged and unhinged? For a bunch of people who claim to love the founding fathers and the principles the country was built on, they seem to have a real scorn for the democratic institution, open discourse, freedom of expression, and the office of POTUS.

Yes that is what they want. The believe that Liberals/Democrats are destroying their country and the only right way is their way.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Gee-whilikers, why didn't we think of that? What a glaring flaw you've discovered! :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Gee-whilikers, why didn't we think of that? What a glaring flaw you've discovered! :allears:

You really think he was not vetted insanly when he ran for senate then ran for president? Then again they think that he is some sort of super Muslim sleeper agent who has been prepped since the day he was born.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Every gun owner should be subject to a background check by the Clinton Machine.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

You really think he was not vetted insanly when he ran for senate then ran for president? Then again they think that he is some sort of super Muslim sleeper agent who has been prepped since the day he was born.
Oh, you must've missed this from exactly one year ago.

Sarah Palin, 2012 posted:

We know the mistake made in our country four years ago was having a candidate that was not vetted, to the degree that he should have been so that we knew what his associations and his pals represented and what went into his thinking, the shaping of who our president today is.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

You would think that with all the hatred he engenders in certain people that they would have found something by this point if it actually existed.

But nope, tricky Br'er 'Bama snuck his way into the most powerful office of the most powerful nation in the world, no take-backsies!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

XyloJW posted:

Yes but that is Sarah Palin and she is lead conductor on the crazy train. There I just answered my own question.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

XyloJW posted:

Wait.... Sarah Palin said this?

No sense of irony. Not even a little...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

bobkatt013 posted:

The CIA, FBI and NSA are simultaneously so pervasive they know every move of every single citizen but cant be assed to check if the most prolific man in the country was born there.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

XyloJW posted:

Sarah Palin of all people criticizing a vetting process.

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem

Poizen Jam posted:

I've come to the conclusion that many of the same people currently slavering over the Obama=Hitler meme would actually welcome true Fascism.

I'm staying off Facebook through the weekend.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

wait, poo poo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deuce posted:

And Bonus:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 18, 2013

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem

Look at the kid in the middle trying to throw a gang sign. I love it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Most notable use of children as "human shields" in recent times: National Republican Congressional Committee chair Tom Reynolds surrounding himself with kids at a daycare to avoid taking explicit questions about the Tom Foley ("Republican congressman sexting young interns, and probably more that we will never know") scandal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZOZD3NwxoI

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A matter of national security:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Leospeare posted:

So... if he weighs the same as a duck...

Republican logic 101.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I'm always hearing the old "Hitler was popularly elected" meme, and while I understand he was technically democratically elected, weren't the Weimar elections gerrymandered as gently caress and steeped in voter intimidation? Austria was already fascist when Germany elected Hitler, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fandyien posted:

So I'm always hearing the old "Hitler was popularly elected" meme, and while I understand he was technically democratically elected, weren't the Weimar elections gerrymandered as gently caress and steeped in voter intimidation? Austria was already fascist when Germany elected Hitler, right?

The Austrian ballot was public after the Nazis had moved their military into Austria and the vote is literally "Hitler, Yes or No" where the Yes is about 5 times the size of No so I think there might have been the sliiiiiiightest bit of voter intimidation there.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Fandyien posted:

Hitler was democratically re-elected, technically speaking. He was appointed as Chancellor in January '33 by von Hindenburg, and the Nazis proceeded to win the March elections in their own right.

The closest American equivalent would be if Gerry Ford had won re-election in '76, I think.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Fandyien posted:

Hitler lost the Presidential election in 1932. The Nazis won a plurality in the Reichstag, but not a majority. By the time Hitler actually won an election, the Nazis had a ton of power and used violence quite a bit against their political opponents. So no, he was never democratically elected in what anyone would call a free election.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 18, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

The Austrian ballot was public after the Nazis had moved their military into Austria and the vote is literally "Hitler, Yes or No" where the Yes is about 5 times the size of No so I think there might have been the sliiiiiiightest bit of voter intimidation there.

Yea basically he had the same level of democracy most other dictators have now, "Do you want Hitler or do you want to be known as the rear end in a top hat who voted against him while his military is watching you vote?"

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Fandyien posted:

Saying Hitler was popularly elected is a gross over simplification. I mean, the Nazis never actually received either a majority of votes or seats, even in the March 1933 election when tens of thousands of SA troops were patrolling the streets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_federal_election,_March_1933
To actually wind up with the power they did, it took burning down the Reichstag, essentially harassing/arresting the communists and removing their seats and a mass amount of intimidation to pass the Enabling Act. Not to mention the entire Nazi rise was a just a knee jerk reaction to the Great Depression and by the later part of 1932 it looked like their support was beginning to wane.

Barudak posted:

Seriously, it was pretty obvious on what the "correct" way to vote was, especially with thousands of German troops in the nation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stimmzettel-Anschluss.jpg
Not to mention I wouldn't trust election results from fascist states.

and yes, Austria had been ruled by a fascist party since 1934. The Patriotic Front just also supported maintaining Austria's independence and identity(particularly its Catholic identity, hence the whole "The Nazis came in and took down the crosses in school!" part of a meme that's been going around) which wasn't fitting into the plans of either the German or Austrian Nazis.

Hitler himself lost pretty badly the one election he was specifically running in to Hidenburg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_presidential_election,_1932

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 18, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea basically he had the same level of democracy most other dictators have now, "Do you want Hitler or do you want to be known as the rear end in a top hat who voted against him while his military is watching you vote?"

I thought it was closer to live or die.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

I am constantly amazed at how things that Obama fought to get implemented end up biting him in the rear end once they expire. :smith:

I mean, he's a mediocre center-right politician, but he deserves better than this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought it was closer to live or die.

Well yea, usually being on the list of people who voted against the dictator means you're gonna die, figured that was implied!

Yea, the idea the Nazis were elected in any form of democracy is absurd.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Well yea, usually being on the list of people who voted against the dictator means you're gonna die, figured that was implied!

Yea, the idea the Nazis were elected in any form of democracy is absurd.

What were they expecting Death or Cake?

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem
When pressed, most of the people I know who are paranoid about Obama can only express vague, dog whistle racism-type concern. Something just doesn't "feel right" to them. The country's going in the "wrong direction," we've "abandoned our values," etc.

All of Obama's very real failings aside, I am so sad that this country couldn't handle having a black president after all.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

seiferguy posted:

How? How does this person think the payroll tax cut affects married couples? Anecdote: I got married in November and my savings in federal income tax withholding are much higher than the payroll bump.

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 18, 2013

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Garanimals4Seniors posted:

How? How does this person think the payroll tax cut affects married couples? Anecdote: I got married in November and my savings in federal income tax withholding are much higher than the payroll bump.

I think it has something to do with the expiration of the Bush tax cuts. This article popped up on my facebook feed. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-earners-set-pay-most-050001996.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Somebody posted this, with a comment about how Police should not be spending their time, and our taxes, on "harassing" honest citizens....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdEbe7e9GE&feature=youtu.be

I feel sorry for the cop. He was just doing his job, and stepped into a big pile of crazy.