Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

Would he go to trial in California? I'm sure it won't actually go to trial, but jury nullification here would be amazing.

If they're actually arresting them I assume it'd be a federal court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

If they're actually arresting them I assume it'd be a federal court.

And a federal court in California would have a jury pulled from California. Statistically half of the jury will have voted to make what this guy did legal.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NathanScottPhillips posted:

This is how you put pressure on the Feds, by making them defend the indefensible and forcing change in the Supreme Court.

There won't be a Supreme Court challenge over this and if it did happen it would be an 8-1 court decision in favor of the Federal government being able to enforce its laws with the lone dissenting vote being Thomas, who demands that the guy be suffocated to death on marijuana smoke because it would be quote "like, totally sick".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

And a federal court in California would have a jury pulled from California. Statistically half of the jury will have voted to make what this guy did legal.

Sort of. Here's a map of the federal districts (and the appeals circuits, but the districts are more important here) :

If someone got arrested for marijuana in (eg) the eastern California district it seems pretty likely that they'd be convicted.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

Sort of. Here's a map of the federal districts (and the appeals circuits, but the districts are more important here) :

If someone got arrested for marijuana in (eg) the eastern California district it seems pretty likely that they'd be convicted.

This guy would be in the central or northern district though, right?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

This guy would be in the central or northern district though, right?

It said the district attorney was from the Eastern district actually.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

It said the district attorney was from the Eastern district actually.

welp hes hosed

tastethehappy
Sep 11, 2008

What part of highly classified do you not understand?

Murmur Twin posted:

You're saying that feds ignoring state laws to enforce federal ones is happening. I'm saying that there are cases where it shouldn't. I don't think we're in disagreement.

Totally agree, and the small victories (state legalization, medical marijuana) are completely worth it. It's just that when I put myself in the shoes of Davies or any of the other people who did nothing morally wrong but are going to lose years of their life in prison, I get really upset.

That's my problem. We're putting the letter of the law (technically it's still federally illegal) over common sense (jailing someone following state laws to provide medicine to people, all in the framework of what people in that area voted for).

Murmur, we are in complete and total agreement. I, too, think it's a travesty. I was/am only responding to the original proposition that, because these travesties still happen, it means state-level legalization is a worthless pursuit.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Here is an expert's take on the situation:

quote:

I have to agree with William Portanova that it’s “mind-boggling” if, in fact, “hundreds” of lawyers in California have been telling their clients they can safely run massive enterprises growing and selling marijuana as long as their customers pretend it’s for medical use.

A five-year mandatory sentence for open and non-violent pot-dealing is absurd; if I’d been the U.S. Attorney, I would have considered charging the case differently to generate a more reasonable sentence. But if you’re growing 2000 plants at a time, and making money at it, you’re precisely the sort of large-scale, for-profit operator Eric Holder promised to go after. Keeping your books accurately is a fine trait, but it doesn’t make illegal activity legal.

California “medical” pot-dealing is a lucrative business precisely because you can go to prison for it. If Matthew Davies genuinely didn’t know that, he should sue whichever diploma mill gave him his M.B.A. And if his lawyer told him that hiring Chris Lehane to lobby against prosecution was likely to work, he must be practicing law on some other planet.

Adam Nagorney seems to sympathize with the defendant – with lots of heart-string tugging about his young family – as if the existence of federal law were a deep mystery that no mere Californian should be expected to figure out. Having a newborn at home is a good reason not to commit big-money crime; it’s not, alas, a good reason not to have to pay the price.

I’m all for rethinking both the structure of federal sentencing and the notch-on-the-gunbelt ethos that has penetrated too many prosecutors’ offices. But Matthew Davies isn’t in the same category as Aaron Swartz. http://www.samefacts.com/2013/01/drug-policy/what-were-they-thinking-dept/

So there you go folks, the expert thinks: “he-should-have-seen-it-coming".

Still, I don't know how he can wave away the fact that a man might have his life destroyed for the political crime of providing medicine to patients.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Just a thought in regards to the letter of the law stuff with 'small time growers' and 'commercial' growers.

It's completely up to the prosecutor to define what is and what isn't a commercial grow. Thankfully they're pretty stupid so it's usually a plant count type thing, the smart commercial growers have learned to minimize this one facet of their operation by growing smaller amounts of plants, but growing them much bigger. Basically, you can grow a pound of amazing weed spread over 15 plants or a single plant.

This doesn't change the fact that if your poo poo looks to impressive, you're going to be labeled a commercial grower, whatever that means. Everyone's a commercial grower, because everyone's making money off it. Electricity and the other overhead require everyone to make money, otherwise you're just some rich gently caress literally giving away money.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

hobbesmaster posted:

Would he go to trial in California? I'm sure it won't actually go to trial, but jury nullification here would be amazing.

So much as breathe a word about state law and there would be a mistrial. It's less likely now, but I remember a news story about a jury who recanted within minutes after they left the courtroom when they were told they had convicted a doctor for prescribing medical marijuana according to state law.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

tastethehappy posted:

My problem was with the way Tab was saying "you might go to jail! is it really worth it then for states to try and legalize it?!?" which is a dumb defeatist attitude.

I don't see how you're concluding that from my statement, let me re-iterate.

Yes, States legalizing without a doubt is a great move; small-time users aren't going to jail and freedom is essentially one step closer. While again this is great news it's still not that good. Anyone who has the "biggest" marijuana business is going to be a target and the fact remains there's always going to be someone who's the biggest. Sucks to be them.

Now, it's brought up that the Federal Government doesn't have the resources to enforce this but we have yet for anyone to show this beyond quoting the Wikipedia DEA Page they only have ten-thousand some odd agents. True, there's a significant lack of resources when comes to combating this and while I'm unsure if State Police may be "compelled" to enforce Federal Law it's actually optional if state/local police wish to enforce this.

Example, when medical marijuana was legalized in Michigan the State Police went to the Federal Government and asked if they could enforce it. The Feds gave a green light and legal dispensaries were shutdown by State Police.

hobbesmaster posted:

I recall reading a New York or Los Angeles Article were this was specifically discussed. Somehow with these Federal cases it doesn't matter and the Judge will reverse the ruling if the jury goes for nullification. They also also ruled out that the defense can't use Obama's claim how he would order the Justice Department to not go after medical dispensaries in California or how his previous legal advice was inadequate.

I've been told by some lawyers who've worked with the Fed that if California were to legalize marijuana it would essentially become "Armageddon". I wasn't able to get much more information such as why is California is so important.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 16, 2013

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Saw this today on a vote for recreational Marijuana shops in El Paso county, CO.

http://www.csindy.com/IndyBlog/archives/2013/01/15/no-pot-stops-el-paso-county-bans-recreational-marijuana-shops

quote:

This morning, in a 4 to 1 vote, the El Paso County Board of County Commissioners passed the second and final reading of an ordinance banning retail-marijuana facilities in unincorporated areas of the county. Commissioner Peggy Littleton was the lone dissenter, as her district, which is mostly the city of Colorado Springs, voted in favor of Amendment 64, unlike the majority of outlying areas. She also wanted the board to wait until it could take a look at whatever regulations the state eventually creates.

The part that stood out to me though was:

quote:

The defense of marijuana eventually drew the ire of Commissioner Amy Lathen who alternated between expounding on the drug's federally illegal status; reading from her two teenage sons' Young Marines handbook regarding the side effects of marijuana; and regaling the crowd with the dangers the substance poses to children.

“And I just want to make sure that, from my perspective and on the record," Lathen said firmly, offering her reasoning for voting yes on the ban, "that we don’t lose sight of the seriousness of the proliferation of this drug within our society, and certainly within our youth.”

And someone in the comments posted an excerpt from the handbook the commissioner was reading from

quote:

5. Marijuana. Street terms for marijuana are Weed,
Pot, Grass, Reefer, Ganja, Mary Jane, Blunt,
Joint, Roach or Nail.

a. Marijuana’s Affect on Your Body. THC (active
ingredient in marijuana) affects the nerve
cells in the part of the brain where memories
are formed. Marijuana can seriously affect your
sense of time and your coordination, impacting
things like walking and driving. There are more
than 400 known chemicals in marijuana. A single joint contains four times as much
cancer-causing tar as a filtered cigarette. Marijuana can limit your body’s ability to
fight off infection. Long-term marijuana use can even increase the risk of developing
certain mental illnesses.

b. Other Dangers. Marijuana can be laced with other dangerous drugs without your
knowledge. “Blunts”—hollowed-out cigars filled with marijuana—sometimes have
substances such as crack cocaine, PCP, or embalming fluid added. Marijuana
can be addictive. Not everyone who uses marijuana becomes addicted, but some
users do develop signs of dependence."

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone who has the "biggest" marijuana business is going to be a target and the fact remains there's always going to be someone who's the biggest. Sucks to be them.

This google earth tour gives you an idea of scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMpu0kbsV7w

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

I recall reading a New York or Los Angeles Article were this was specifically discussed. Somehow with these Federal cases it doesn't matter and the Judge will reverse the ruling if the jury goes for nullification. They also also ruled out that the defense can't use Obama's claim how he would order the Justice Department to not go after medical dispensaries in California or how his previous legal advice was inadequate.

How can a judge overrule an acquittal from a jury? Some sort of Scalia like mental gymnastics of "the constitution assures a right to a trial by jury, not that the jury's decision would be binding".

Nevermind state law and all that, the prosecution's case is going to be showing a commercial marijuana operation and odds are the jury is going to be thinking "Wait, isn't this legal? :confused:"

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

hobbesmaster posted:

How can a judge overrule an acquittal from a jury? Some sort of Scalia like mental gymnastics of "the constitution assures a right to a trial by jury, not that the jury's decision would be binding".

A judge cannot overturn an criminal acquittal at his own discretion, but he could grant a motion to set aside judgement, which is fairly rare, but this situation would be a textbook example of when it might work: the judge might ask the jurors how they reached their verdict, and if they admitted they decided to make the ruling based on nullification or based on inapplicable laws, it could happen, and there would have to be another jury trial.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

A judge cannot overturn an criminal acquittal at his own discretion, but he could grant a motion to set aside judgement, which is fairly rare, but this situation would be a textbook example of when it might work: the judge might ask the jurors how they reached their verdict, and if they admitted they decided to make the ruling based on nullification or based on inapplicable laws, it could happen, and there would have to be another jury trial.

And that isn't double jeopardy?

Edit: Wikipedia says so:

wikipedia posted:

Additionally, although a judge may overrule a guilty verdict by a jury, he or she does not have the same power to overrule a not guilty verdict.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 16, 2013

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

hobbesmaster posted:

Nevermind state law and all that, the prosecution's case is going to be showing a commercial marijuana operation and odds are the jury is going to be thinking "Wait, isn't this legal? :confused:"

Usually, the court suppresses certain evidence - say, things like "this 'massive drug dealing operation' was a medical facility" and "if you vote to convict, this person is going to spend decades in prison." The jury votes to convict based on the evidence in front of them, but when they learn what was actually going on, their reaction is "we never would have done that if we knew all the facts." But, by then, the damage is done. Juries don't get take-backs.

tastethehappy
Sep 11, 2008

What part of highly classified do you not understand?

tastethehappy posted:

My problem was with the way Tab was saying "you might go to jail! is it really worth it then for states to try and legalize it?!?" which is a dumb defeatist attitude.

Tab8715 posted:

I don't see how you're concluding that from my statement, let me re-iterate.

Tab8715 posted:

Here's why State's legalizing weed doesn't matter in the long run...

California vs. The Feds

This is the exact risk every state-legal grower is potentially up against. Is it really worth it when you're looking at a 5-year minimum sentence and no other alternatives aside from a pardon - which is impossible for a variety of reasons.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

KingEup posted:

Still, I don't know how he can wave away the fact that a man might have his life destroyed for the political crime of providing medicine to patients.

Yes I'm sure all of his "patients" had medical conditions necessitating the use of marijuana.

I think it should be fully legalized and that he shouldn't be prosecuted, but CA's medical marijuana law makes a joke of the whole concept.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Space Gopher posted:

Usually, the court suppresses certain evidence - say, things like "this 'massive drug dealing operation' was a medical facility" and "if you vote to convict, this person is going to spend decades in prison." The jury votes to convict based on the evidence in front of them, but when they learn what was actually going on, their reaction is "we never would have done that if we knew all the facts." But, by then, the damage is done. Juries don't get take-backs.

And this is why there is a special place in hell for Lawyers.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Xandu posted:

Yes I'm sure all of his "patients" had medical conditions necessitating the use of marijuana.

I think it should be fully legalized and that he shouldn't be prosecuted, but CA's medical marijuana law makes a joke of the whole concept.

I agree with what you're saying, it's hard to stay completely legal, when you're already in a grey-market. Especially when you have undercover police basically acting like opportunist pushers (Cops will literally push drug deals on you, no joke).

But, framing it as the medical laws making a joke of the whole concept seems silly. How easy is it to get adderall or any other stimulant? All you need to say is the correct phrases and congrats! You now have ADHD! I think people are living within the joke and acting accordingly with the farce. Obviously not every patient needs the medicine, but who are you to say? In the same way Alcohol prohibition had patients, most I'm sure didn't really need a cocktail a day to help deal with the wife and kids. But everyone saw it as the only means of enjoying normal life within a bizarre legal structure.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Xandu posted:

Why so leery of MMJ patients?

Roughly 20% of Californians are living with a disability and I suspect many of those people would get relief from using cannabis. More still would be living with long term health conditions that cannabis may help.

Obviously some people would be in possession of fraudulent recommendations, but this is no different to people in possession of fraudulent scripts for benzos etc. Hardly enough to label MMJ laws a joke.

Cannabis should be treated like acetaminophen. I mean for god sake, my girlfriend just gave me a tablet with breakfast because I complained of some mild back pain. It's unlikely to do much and I'm not in genuine need, but really, why care?

I sure did sucker that pharmacist into selling it to me!

KingEup fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 17, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Acetaminophen does more harm to your body than MJ does.

Ironic eh.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Ironic eh.

Alcohol and tobacco aside, it's probably the most dangerous drug.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's clearly people abusing the "medical" part of the medical marijuana laws. That said, there are plenty of people who genuinely are helped by it, when no other drug/treatment can help.

That said, if you want to throw mental issues into the mix, who's to say some dude with ennui shouldn't be given a script for marijuana, as opposed to Zoloft/Prozac/Etc?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

redshirt posted:

There's clearly people abusing the "medical" part of the medical marijuana laws.

If we invented a severity of abuse scale, non-medicinal use of medicinal cannabis and the persecution of people who use medicinal cannabis for non-medicinal reasons would be at polar extremes.

Forgive me for not giving a poo poo that some people are acquiring and using MMJ cards to purchase cannabis for their own reasons.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 18, 2013

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

redshirt posted:

There's clearly people abusing the "medical" part of the medical marijuana laws.

No snark intended, but so what? Is it really "abusing" if you're just trying to get around some monumentally stupid prohibition?

redshirt posted:

That said, if you want to throw mental issues into the mix, who's to say some dude with ennui shouldn't be given a script for marijuana, as opposed to Zoloft/Prozac/Etc?

I think in a lot of cases this might be a good idea actually.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mandals posted:

No snark intended, but so what? Is it really "abusing" if you're just trying to get around some monumentally stupid prohibition?

Do you think the same thing about the Sudafed prohibition? (And yes I mean for making meth.)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

computer parts posted:

Do you think the same thing about the Sudafed prohibition? (And yes I mean for making meth.)

Methamphetamine is still available even if pseudoephedrine is not: http://www.lundbeck.com/us/products/cns-products/desoxyn

I don't think it should be unlawful to use this substance for your own reasons. I certainly don't think that using medical methamphetamine for non-medical reasons is an example of 'abuse'.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 18, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

KingEup posted:

I don't think it should be unlawful to use this substance for your own reasons. I certainly don't think that using medical methamphetamine for non-medical reasons is an example of 'abuse'.

Hey hey hey smoke meth erryday.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

Hey hey hey smoke meth erryday.

Abuse of pharmaceutical amphetamines isn't all that terrible. Addictive, not great for the heart, and not a positive thing generally, but most of the terrible side effects that come with scrounging for cash to buy adulterated meth to smoke aren't really relevant to someone with a regular supply of pharmaceutical amphetamine pills.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

Meet the drug warriors working to roll back hard-won advances in marijuana policy

...before marijuana legalization spreads from Washington and Colorado to other states, it will have to get past a group of hardened drug warriors, many of whom have developed a personal interest in maintaining prohibition. While most of these ideologues lack the authority to actually change laws, their larger purpose is to maintain the marijuana propaganda machine and push back against pro-legalization rhetoric. Here are the top five people threatening to halt the state-by-state legalization domino effect that many pot activists hope is coming soon:

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/legalizations-biggest-enemies-20130117#ixzz2IIu7yzgO

Watch out for these guys folks. They manipulate, they lie and they speak in the name of science. They've made a career out of drug prohibition and they're not going to give-up without a fight.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

veedubfreak posted:

Ironic eh.

Is this averaging out ODs with responsible users or does it actually harm people incrementally?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Verviticus posted:

Is this averaging out ODs with responsible users or does it actually harm people incrementally?

There are a lot of inadvertent ODs, especially people with chronic pain. Even a couple grams a day for a few days and a couple of drinks can cause liver damage, and a lot of people just aren't aware of the danger of a higher dosage - if 625mg is good, 1350 must be better. At 4 times a day, that person may end up in the hospital in a hurry. Sure, these aren't exactly responsible users, but all users will never be responsible no matter the drug, and the difference between a therapeutic and a dangerous dose is razor thin, relatively speaking, for acetaminophen.

It would probably be far safer to just hand out a handful of opiate pills for even minor aches and pains. Much, much harder to cause serious damage with those. But hey, people might feel good along the way, and we can't have that happening.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are a lot of inadvertent ODs, especially people with chronic pain. Even a couple grams a day for a few days and a couple of drinks can cause liver damage, and a lot of people just aren't aware of the danger of a higher dosage - if 625mg is good, 1350 must be better. At 4 times a day, that person may end up in the hospital in a hurry. Sure, these aren't exactly responsible users, but all users will never be responsible no matter the drug, and the difference between a therapeutic and a dangerous dose is razor thin, relatively speaking, for acetaminophen.

It would probably be far safer to just hand out a handful of opiate pills for even minor aches and pains. Much, much harder to cause serious damage with those. But hey, people might feel good along the way, and we can't have that happening.

They deliberately add massive doses of Tylenonl to opiate pills just to stop you from taking a sufficient amount. I recently had an injured knee ligament and infected jaw at the same time, and the dose of tylenol in the hydrocodone pills was so high that I could only take 4 a day, which was entirely insufficient for managing the pain and left me totally unable to focus at work for most of that time because it hurt so much.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

They deliberately add massive doses of Tylenonl to opiate pills just to stop you from taking a sufficient amount. I recently had an injured knee ligament and infected jaw at the same time, and the dose of tylenol in the hydrocodone pills was so high that I could only take 4 a day, which was entirely insufficient for managing the pain and left me totally unable to focus at work for most of that time because it hurt so much.

Try a cold water extraction next time around.

Just wondering if anyone knows, is it illegal to do that with medicine you've been prescribed?

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
You would probably get popped for manufacturing if you pissed off anyone who gave a poo poo.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Xandu posted:

Of course this same argument could easily describe the situations that Adderall, Xanax, Vicodin, and Percocet are in. Do ivy leaguers snorting Adderall the night before a test invalidate the existence of people who take it for ADHD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mandals posted:

Oh, I don't care at all either. Marijuana should be 100% legal. I'm just pointing this out - it seems a rather obvious point. Most of the people I've met with medical marijuana cards are doing it more for recreation than any pain issues. Doesn't bother me one bit.

• Locked thread