Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

fookolt posted:

I remember a custom recovery had an option to mount storage to USB while in recovery a while ago; I don't think it's possible with CWM Touch recovery, but is it possible with TWRP?

This is very useful for when I remember to add one more thing to flash only after doing a full wipe.

Regular old CWM has this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

Regular old CWM has this.
Reminder that this is not possible on MTP devices.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
CWM does now have an option to flash a file that is received from an ADB push, which basically achieves the same thing. Or at least I think that's what it does, I've not actually tried it. And maybe TWRP has it too, I don't know, not used it.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
So I am intending to take the plunge and run a rootkit on my Samsung Galaxy Ace GT-5830, because I've yet again lost progress on a game and am sick and tired of it, and I may just want to keep running backups.

However, I'm wondering what series of tutorials I'm supposed to run. I'm an absolute blockhead for reading instructions with as little hassle and needing to check further background info (ODIN? What?) as possible, but I also don't want to risk bricking my phone, either.

The specs for my phone can be found here. I'm honestly not even sure if this guide is even applicable to my phone or not.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Reminder that this is not possible on MTP devices.

Is that right? Glad you said something, I did not know that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thank you for this. I was able to get it last night after an hour and a half of bumbling around and getting the stock image to agree with the toolkit posted here. It's good to know what the toolkit was doing and why, and that there is an easier way to get around it for future reference.

Now that the USB driver is installed and operational, future endeavors should be a cakewalk.

And LG will be getting an earful from me for sending me a phone with a debugging rom on it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I got my Samsung Galaxy S 2 Epic 4G Touch from Sprint with the rest of my family all upgraded to smartphones. Since we got the first ones in august between the four of us who got phones, we have managed to blow through ten "refurbished" phones because of problems they keep having.

Anyway long story short we were all going to head in and demand to get upgraded to better phones that won't poo poo the bed constantly and I realized I have no idea how to put my phone back to stock. I thought it would be as easy as flashing a stock rom (with root preferably so I could just nandroid and restore all my stuff back should something go wrong), but I couldn't find any stock roms for my device. The closest thing I found was http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Epic_4G_Touch/ROMs, and they appear to be one-click solutions for people who aren't rooted. I tried it anyway, but just got something that said "success 0 /failures 0" when I ran it if it didn't just outright freeze. Google tells me I need to get the right drivers, but I can plug my phone into my computer just fine.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

How do I disable mock locations? Ingress won't let me play because it says they're enabled and I need to go to settings, developer tools etc, but I have no developer tools under settings. Running Cyanogen 7.2. Any ideas?

edit: nvm found it; under application settings.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Thank you for this. I was able to get it last night after an hour and a half of bumbling around and getting the stock image to agree with the toolkit posted here.
This is has been my experience with toolkits, problem after problem. And they are virtually powerless to help with the same USB driver issues that you can run into when setting up fastboot anyway. So once you have that installed, you may as well just go ahead and use the command line and know what is happening.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tunga posted:

This is has been my experience with toolkits, problem after problem. And they are virtually powerless to help with the same USB driver issues that you can run into when setting up fastboot anyway. So once you have that installed, you may as well just go ahead and use the command line and know what is happening.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

The toolkit actually did great with the usb driver. Just one option and it installed it correctly, so the phone connected right away. The issue was that I had to download a 4.2 image from a third party and it threw the kit for a loop. It worked after renaming the file exactly what the kit wanted it to be named.

In terms of ease when things work I'd give it an 8. In terms of adaptability when things go wrong I'd give it a 1.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Any suggestions on what to look at if my com.android.phone process dies any time someone hangs up on me? If I end the call all is well, but if I'm hung up on it crashes and then some parts of the phone (such as the lock screen) think I'm on a call until I make or receive another call and hang up first.

I know I'm way out in unsupported territory, running 4.2.1 nightlies on an ancient Evo, but other than this one thing it works as well as ICS or better in every way. Still no 4G or FFC but I don't really use either of those and the graphical quirks in RFC preview are a minor annoyance at most.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Make sure that your Network settings are correct for the carrier you are on (LTE/CDMA/HSPA/whatever)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gyshall posted:

Make sure that your Network settings are correct for the carrier you are on (LTE/CDMA/HSPA/whatever)

This is a CDMA-only device (since WiMax doesn't work on 4.x ROMs for it) and my network type is set to "CDMA auto (PRL)" which I believe is what I want.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Does anybody know if Samsung can detect if something is rooted before they have someone physically check it?

I picked up a faulty Note 10.1 a few months ago, and I just got off the phone with a rep who claimed that their manufacturer's warranty on the tablet's serial number expired less than a few weeks after the day it was purchased. He wouldn't provide any more information as to why, and insisted I bring the issue to the Best Buy where it was purchased. The call to Best Buy obviously didn't lead anywhere.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

If it's like my Galaxy S3 then it has a flash counter, which would have tripped if it was rooted. There are way to reset it to zero (for my SGS3 anyways).

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

If it's like my Galaxy S3 then it has a flash counter, which would have tripped if it was rooted. There are way to reset it to zero (for my SGS3 anyways).

Would resetting the flash counter matter at this point, or is it pretty much too late?

The issue is with the touch screen so while it's annoying, I can put up with it if I'm hosed. I was just under the impression that they could only check its counter in person.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Is it possible to restore data from my non-rooted install, onto my rooted one? I had a blizzard authenticator attached that I forgot to disable before wiping. I took backups of everything so I guess I still have that data? I need to get it running again so I can log into my battle.net account and disable authenticators so I can set it up on my CM10 I installed last month. I guess it'd also be cool to have my save data from games too.

e: Just restored app + data with titanium backup. Turns out that's not enough for blizz authenticator. Guess I'm never getting my diablo 3 account back seeing as the name on my account isn't the same one as on my ID :downsowned:

SMP fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 18, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Blizzard Authenticator has a restore code built in that you can use to restore it to another device. No backup or data copying needed.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Tunga posted:

The Blizzard Authenticator has a restore code built in that you can use to restore it to another device. No backup or data copying needed.

It requires a restore key, but I have no idea what mine originally was.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I see, it's the same device and you wiped it.

I've used Titanium Backup to backup and restore my Authenticator many times and it has always worked for me. Going from an HTC Desire to a GNex to an N4, from Sense to CM to AOSP and other stuff, never had it fail. So I'm not reeally sure why that isn't working for you. You could try forcing closing the app, restoring, rebooting, and seeing if it works that way.

Otherwise you will have to call Blizzard. And also write down the code next time! Sorry :( .

SMP
May 5, 2009

Tunga posted:

Oh, I see, it's the same device and you wiped it.

I've used Titanium Backup to backup and restore my Authenticator many times and it has always worked for me. Going from an HTC Desire to a GNex to an N4, from Sense to CM to AOSP and other stuff, never had it fail. So I'm not reeally sure why that isn't working for you. You could try forcing closing the app, restoring, rebooting, and seeing if it works that way.

Otherwise you will have to call Blizzard. And also write down the code next time! Sorry :( .

Every time I restore it its a different serial.

Their support requires you to login to your account :downs:

SMP fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 18, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SMP posted:

Their support requires you to login to your account :downs:
Just call them:
https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/phone
https://eu.battle.net/support/en/ticket/phone

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

wolrah posted:

Any suggestions on what to look at if my com.android.phone process dies any time someone hangs up on me?
Usually this kind of problem is the result of a bug/incompatibility with your device in the telephony stack, and there's not much you can do about it unless you're going to debug code.

There was a similar problem for CDMA devices in CM 10.1 last month (gerrit issue, commit). Depending on what "4.2.1" you're actually running, it may be as simple as incorporating that patch.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Is there a way to increase the text size of the status bar/notifications dropdown for someone who upped the DPI in their build.prop? Settings -> Display -> Text Size is great, but it doesn't seem to affect the status bar.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I just picked up a VZW Galaxy Note II and to my surprise the bootloader can be unlocked.

Anyone else with this phone that has recommendations for ROMs/Kernels?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So I just picked up a VZW Galaxy Note II and to my surprise the bootloader can be unlocked.

Anyone else with this phone that has recommendations for ROMs/Kernels?

I don't have a note myself but I've heard good things about clean rom

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I updated to 10.1-20130117 and my phone now had a solid yellow notification light while plugged in. I already checked in lightflow and the charging action has nothing enabled, although it is set to display a yellow light. I tried toggling it but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas might be causing this? For the record 10.1-20130109 did not do this.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

In an unexpected turn of events, the CM10.1 3.0.31/g8cb0ca3 kernel is FAR more effective than Franco.kernel in the latest iteration of the CM10.1 nightlies for toroplus devices.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

In an unexpected turn of events, the CM10.1 3.0.31/g8cb0ca3 kernel is FAR more effective than Franco.kernel in the latest iteration of the CM10.1 nightlies for toroplus devices.
You can't make a statement like that without your version of the events...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SMP posted:

Every time I restore it its a different serial.

If your backup was taken on a non-rooted device as you say, this is expected. The authenticator doesn't store the key data in a place other non-root apps can access, that would defeat the purpose. There would be so many trojans on the Market looking for that it's not funny.

If you're not rooted and don't have a custom recovery, any authenticator which can be backed up is horribly insecure.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

z06ck posted:

You can't make a statement like that without your version of the events...

Franco got me ~30-34 hours, new cm gets me ~52 hrs with appreciable LTE use. Dunno if the battery is just better monitored or what but it's a very positive step, it seems.

Not much else to be said at this point. Both are in their nightly stages, so it's unfair to judge for the long term. I'll keep loving with it until both stable releases are more or less final.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

I updated to 10.1-20130117 and my phone now had a solid yellow notification light while plugged in. I already checked in lightflow and the charging action has nothing enabled, although it is set to display a yellow light. I tried toggling it but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas might be causing this? For the record 10.1-20130109 did not do this.
That's because the Mako has a battery charge notification light now. I'm sure it's in the settings if you wish to disable it, probably in the notification light settings where you set up colors for your app notifications.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LastInLine posted:

probably in the notification light settings where you set up colors for your app notifications.
Right, and I use light flow for this, where it is disabled. I couldn't find another setting anywhere under display, sound, etc. System had a toggle for enable/disable of the LED but no specific app/behavior settings

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Right, and I use light flow for this, where it is disabled. I couldn't find another setting anywhere under display, sound, etc. System had a toggle for enable/disable of the LED but no specific app/behavior settings
Well it's not on the Maguro so I don't know where it is specifically but that's what it is that's keeping your LED on when it's charging. Look in Battery maybe? System? The commit for it doesn't list where it can be disabled or even whether that's possible.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm an idiot, it is under system, labeled "battery light" :suicide:

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city
Any SGS1 users still around? I'm trying to squeeze a few more months out of this phone and was wondering if anyone has experience on a fast kernel+rom combination, either ics or jb? I've been on CM nightlies for a while but the instability is getting on my nerves.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jack Flint posted:

Any SGS1 users still around? I'm trying to squeeze a few more months out of this phone and was wondering if anyone has experience on a fast kernel+rom combination, either ics or jb? I've been on CM nightlies for a while but the instability is getting on my nerves.

What instability do you mean? I have an SGS1 as my backup running CM 10.1 nightlies and it's as stable as ever.

Jack Flint
Dec 12, 2006
Fleece as white as snow in a city

nimper posted:

What instability do you mean? I have an SGS1 as my backup running CM 10.1 nightlies and it's as stable as ever.

I get force closes on software I use pretty often (multiple times a day), it's very sluggish (much more so than older stock roms), both responding to touches and launching apps etc. I haven't updated the nightly in a week or two so maybe I'll try that first. Still, if anyone has ideas on better options I'll be very thankful.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

I keep on trying to mount an app into system/app on my Motorola Xoom and everything is running fine until I reset, and then it's uninstalled. My google-fu must be off because I simply can't find a solution.
Any clues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Abiggoat posted:

I keep on trying to mount an app into system/app on my Motorola Xoom and everything is running fine until I reset, and then it's uninstalled. My google-fu must be off because I simply can't find a solution.
Any clues?
Are the permissions set properly?