Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

StandardVC10 posted:

It is very jingoistic, though in photos of aircraft actually painted in it it's more complex (slightly) than it looks in that CG video, there's a bit of back-and-forth gradation in the striping.

Ah, so there is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
That aint Helvetica - don't know what it is though. I kinda like it, but it is a bit jarring as the original logo (that was Helvetica) is such a classic icon.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

StandardVC10 posted:

It is very jingoistic

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Russians shall not have Constantinople.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Manny posted:

That aint Helvetica - don't know what it is though. I kinda like it, but it is a bit jarring as the original logo (that was Helvetica) is such a classic icon.

Futura maybe? The a and the e look more Helvetica than Arial though, for sure.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

movax posted:

What the Font seems to think it's some font called Milo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not Futura, it's nowhere near geometric enough. Akzidenz would be my next guess but the lowercase A is wrong. Hard to say.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
Can't believe the logo or tail aren't mirrored on the winglet.

I think it'll look better on the A320s though, smaller tail surface.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Understeer posted:

Can't believe the logo or tail aren't mirrored on the winglet.

I think it'll look better on the A320s though, smaller tail surface.

I lose all nerd-cred for posting in this thread, what aircraft are those it was pictured earlier in (top of this page + last page over the mountains)? 767?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N908NN

e: Sorry, the one on the last page is not this reg. Looks like a 777?

Leviathor fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 17, 2013

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

movax posted:

It's definitely a variant of Arial, but seems to mix glyphs from the standard and unicode sets. I doubt they've got the wherewithal to have a typeface thrown together for this, so it's probably just some Arial variant I don't have on my computer right now.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
They could also just edit parts of the font itself to make it look how they want it. Vectors are awesome. :allears:
Id guess Ariel as well.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

ctishman posted:

I doubt they've got the wherewithal to have a typeface thrown together for this, so it's probably just some Arial variant I don't have on my computer right now.

Repainting/rebranding an entire airline can cost tens of millions of dollars. I would not be surprised if they made a custom typeface for this.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Leviathor posted:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N908NN

e: Sorry, the one on the last page is not this reg. Looks like a 777?

Looking at the tail, it's definitely a 777.

As for the logotype, they COULD, but their ad agency would want a full face if not a family for use in ads, and rather than going to a foundry like they're Apple or something, I'll bet they just flipped through one of the zillion Helvetica ripoffs until they found one with precisely the features they wanted.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ctishman posted:

It's definitely a variant of Arial, but seems to mix glyphs from the standard and unicode sets. I doubt they've got the wherewithal to have a typeface thrown together for this, so it's probably just some Arial variant I don't have on my computer right now.

It's Frutiger, some weight between 64pt 55 Roman and 64pt 65 Bold.

I don't know what's up with "Arial Hebrew," is it falling back to something other than Arial?

AA's been on Helvetica since the '60s.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's Frutiger, some weight between 64pt 55 Roman and 64pt 65 Bold.

I don't know what's up with "Arial Hebrew," is it falling back to something other than Arial?

AA's been on Helvetica since the '60s.

It's a non-english variant of Helvetica that just happened to have that version of the A I wanted in it. I assume there's several versions floating around.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ctishman posted:

As for the logotype, they COULD, but their ad agency would want a full face if not a family for use in ads, and rather than going to a foundry like they're Apple or something, I'll bet they just flipped through one of the zillion Helvetica ripoffs until they found one with precisely the features they wanted.
For your main logo design, the font is usually tweaked to hell. Once the designer has the curves in Illustrator, they can treat it just like any other shape.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don't want to interupt the graphic design chat (seriously), but this video keeps popping up in my youtube "related" video list, so I figure you all can enjoy it too. Vulcans over the Falklands. British as all gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40knj0qg_Us

Cary on the typeface chat now.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Jonny Nox posted:

I don't want to interupt the graphic design chat (seriously), but this video keeps popping up in my youtube "related" video list, so I figure you all can enjoy it too. Vulcans over the Falklands. British as all gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40knj0qg_Us

Cary on the typeface chat now.

This is pretty great so far. "Compared to having a go at Stalingrad, Port Stanley for me if you dont mind."

And practice bombing on seagulls is pretty good too.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 18, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yo that new logo is terrible. The AA logo with the eagle was boss (shame about the airline, though).

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
this thread is now about we invented flight for advertising purposes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Whenever I see that tail I keep seeing a piano keyboard. It's specially obvious/jarring on the airliners.net pic.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FullMetalJacket posted:

this thread is now about we invented flight for advertising purposes.

Gross.

Much better.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Can anyone recommend any good RAF documentaries?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

ooooooooh no you didn't! i'mma lay a helvecta of a slap down on you from my archive of quality frames

I have more, if you wish to contest...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want to go to there

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

FullMetalJacket posted:

ooooooooh no you didn't! i'mma lay a helvecta of a slap down on you from my archive of quality frames

Clrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-V

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

D C posted:

Clrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-V

The pilots are different and though it is hard to tell, the tail numbers at least have different last digits. If it is a Photoshop, it was done with amazing skill.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Skilled formation flying sure is impressive.

(they're all at a visibly different angle from the other three, look at the stabilators and particularly the V-shaped gap between them)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
No spitfires, at all, just hot air and mud...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21074699

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

SybilVimes posted:

No spitfires, at all, just hot air and mud...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21074699

I was just about to post that. Such a let down :(

brains
May 12, 2004

got this in super large? beautiful pic

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

brains posted:

got this in super large? beautiful pic

http://topwalls.net/fighter-planes-2/

Should cover any res of it you want

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SybilVimes posted:

http://topwalls.net/fighter-planes-2/

Should cover any res of it you want

The actual resolution of that image is 1920x1200, the rest at that site are rather poorly scaled.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FullMetalJacket posted:

<snip>

I have more, if you wish to contest...

Eh mine are from my personal collection taken by myself. So I only have a few of them.

Like this engine test shot.

poo poo was loud.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
I bet! I've been in the test chambers at CFB Baggotville. I think it's part of what sent me on the AME career path.

these were from the same trip:

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Sagebrush posted:

I want to go to there

Sometimes I think that Gripen seriosly is the best looking fighter ever, it's just so well proportioned. (But then I remember the F-5 Tiger. )

brains
May 12, 2004

*ahem*

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

:circlefap:
Still from an upcoming live-action version of Area 88?

So, Thunder Over Michigan announced this morning that one of its guests for this coming year is an ME262 that's flying in. Also, apparently they're giving rides in a QF-4, which is one of two flying F-4s scheduled to be at the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

EightBit posted:

The pilots are different and though it is hard to tell, the tail numbers at least have different last digits. If it is a Photoshop, it was done with amazing skill.

It was a joke geeze!

In other news, we bought a new camera system in December...