Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Our rooster Jack once captured and swallowed an entire, HUGE Alligator lizard right in front of me before I could leap to stop him. He enjoyed it very much and looked quite pleased with himself. :gonk: His son, Phoenix, once found the torso of one (apparantly a rotting, zombified, discarded crow snack) and I had to chase him around and take it away.

For those that don't know them, Alligator lizards are fuckoff huge and MEAN. They'd just as soon bite the poo poo outta you as look at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

One of my Barred Plymouth Rocks left me a present on Monday!

This is actually the second egg (pictured on left). I got one on Saturday and I was super excited, I brought it in, put it on the counter to take a picture. As I was getting an egg from the fridge to compare it, it rolled off the counter top and crashed on the kitchen floor. They arrived exactly 5 months ago yesterday.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

This is actually the second egg (pictured on left). I got one on Saturday and I was super excited, I brought it in, put it on the counter to take a picture. As I was getting an egg from the fridge to compare it, it rolled off the counter top and crashed on the kitchen floor. They arrived exactly 5 months ago yesterday.

:neckbeard: yay!

Going to make yourself a fried egg?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Congratulations!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Yay for your Barred Rock's pullethood! Barred Rock eggs are the best, our BR Linc is laying eggs that are very nearly purple. :keke:

Speaking of last year's chicks, the other day we got Rose out for some pics.

She was NOT impressed with the snow, and just stood there, confused and refusing to walk through it.

Silly Rose!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Haha, I love your poor chook's confused face :3: and congrats on the egg, Zeta!

My two remaining chickens are really healthy now (even if losing my little one brought the whole intelligence of the flock down to rock-bottom), they're growing super fast and looking gorgeous.

Soon they'll be big enough to go out in the yard, but for now they've got a good chicken run they spend all day in. They spar a bit, but get along really well and the grey one cries if it can't see its Polish buddy.

Speaking of which:

I don't know a whole lot about telling chicken genders, but I'm worried my Polish "pullet" is looking especially manly. It usually struts about with its tail up, and it loves to kick and spar the other one. Its comb and wattle are both coming in now, but it hasn't fully finished growing in its wing primaries, and it's getting bumps on its leg where spurs might come in. It still peeps instead of making adult noises, so I figure I'll probably have to wait a few months to know for sure, but does anybody know much about telling the gender of Polish chooks?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awww. Rose looks so indignant that you would mistreat her so badly by putting her in the cold, evil snow! Poor chicken. What a sweet, fluffy face. I just love the pattern's on Rose's feathers. And she looks sooooo soft! :3:

Such cute headfeathers on your Polish chook, MissEchelon. I hope you don't end up with a roo!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

MissEchelon posted:

Haha, I love your poor chook's confused face :3: and congrats on the egg, Zeta!

My two remaining chickens are really healthy now (even if losing my little one brought the whole intelligence of the flock down to rock-bottom), they're growing super fast and looking gorgeous.

Soon they'll be big enough to go out in the yard, but for now they've got a good chicken run they spend all day in. They spar a bit, but get along really well and the grey one cries if it can't see its Polish buddy.

Speaking of which:

I don't know a whole lot about telling chicken genders, but I'm worried my Polish "pullet" is looking especially manly. It usually struts about with its tail up, and it loves to kick and spar the other one. Its comb and wattle are both coming in now, but it hasn't fully finished growing in its wing primaries, and it's getting bumps on its leg where spurs might come in. It still peeps instead of making adult noises, so I figure I'll probably have to wait a few months to know for sure, but does anybody know much about telling the gender of Polish chooks?

How old are they now?
Your Polish girl may well be a rooboy, but likely not going by the pics. Her tail & tail hackles are looking suspiciously long, shiny and pointed but stil kinda rounded. Rooboys have more of a 'thin and pointed' quality to hackle feathers. All Polish have upright tails tho. Also Polish roo crests tend to be quite spiky and stick up. Spur buds occur on hens AND roos though, so don't go by that. And our White Crested Black Polish hen, Poof, has spurs that are about 2 inches long that she has had all her life, for what it's worth.

Got a better, close pic of the back of her head crest? Look for long, thin, shiny, pointed feathers there as further proof of roodom. Compare her to Polish roo pics on Feathersite:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Polish/BRKPolish.html

Polish roos always remind me of Leopold Stokowski. :keke:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 10, 2013

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

How old are they now?
Your Polish girl may well be a rooboy, but likely not going by the pics. Her tail & tail hackles are looking suspiciously long, shiny and pointed but stil kinda rounded. Rooboys have more of a 'thin and pointed' quality to hackle feathers. All Polish have upright tails tho. Also Polish roo crests tend to be quite spiky and stick up. Spur buds occur on hens AND roos though, so don't go by that. And our White Crested Black Polish hen, Poof, has spurs that are about 2 inches long that she has had all her life, for what it's worth.

Got a better, close pic of the back of her head crest? Look for long, thin, shiny, pointed feathers there as further proof of roodom. Compare her to Polish roo pics on Feathersite:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Polish/BRKPolish.html

Polish roos always remind me of Leopold Stokowski. :keke:

She's between 3 and 4 months I think. At the moment, she's regrowing the entire back of her crest, so thanks for that info, I will keep an eye on her as she develops!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Today I had to give the chooks their last lot of worming tablets for a few months, so I had my sister over to give me a hand with that. And also to give me a hand with more hilarious matters.

Nooo Puffhead, sit still, you're ruining everything

Therrre we go :allears:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I dont think my chickens would sit still for a tiny hat, only giant hats make them stop moving.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^ Your chickens ARE hats. Round, fluffy hats.

Man, she looks SO very pissed in that first pic, and is clearly blaming YOU. :keke:

We need more pics of chickens in lil' hats, outfits and accessories in this thread. I'll have to dig through the kid's toybox and round up some unwilling volunteers.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 15, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

LOL! Hooray for more dressed chickens! That Canadian mountie hat is the best. :D

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We need more pics of chickens in lil' hats, outfits and accessories in this thread. I'll have to dig through the kid's toybox and round up some unwilling volunteers.

VS, find something sparkly to put on Poof and she can be a Vegas showgirl. :)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

More chickens in clothing. Got it!

I went to my mum's for Christmas, and took with me the baby dresses that I put on my housemate's cat (to be fair, he loves it because he loves any form of attention). Mostly to put on her cats, but then it turns out her chickens wear the same size as the cats.

Aw, she's a pretty lady. Of course, just after that she flapped loose and ran off.... dress still attached

I think her friend is jealous

Action shot! She went a good clip in that thing, she was pretty hard to catch actually!

And that mountie hat was surprisingly easy to get on my Polish. It stayed on while she looked around, as long as she didn't tilt her head down.

Mx. fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 11, 2013

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
More animals wearing hats please.

Private Life Of Chickens has convinced me to pop out to the local chicken keeper and grab some fresh eggs. The factory ones are just so... tasteless. Epic Bacon Egg And Cheese incoming!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

drat. Since the (thankfully unsuccessful) fox attack last August, we thought we were over the risk of any more in the garden. This morning one ran through at the bottom of the garden and had no trouble with the 6 foot fences on either side. It didn't seem to look around on its short time running through, and then being chased off by my other half (the hens were all on the back doorstep, trying to mooch treats), but after last time...

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

spookygonk posted:

drat. Since the (thankfully unsuccessful) fox attack last August, we thought we were over the risk of any more in the garden. This morning one ran through at the bottom of the garden and had no trouble with the 6 foot fences on either side. It didn't seem to look around on its short time running through, and then being chased off by my other half (the hens were all on the back doorstep, trying to mooch treats), but after last time...

Did you trap the last fox that was hanging around before? I guess you'll have to put a trap out again. I'm sure the fox knows the chickens are there even if he didn't see them this time -- he can smell them.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

Did you trap the last fox that was hanging around before? I guess you'll have to put a trap out again. I'm sure the fox knows the chickens are there even if he didn't see them this time -- he can smell them.
That previous fox was trapped (he came back a week later to try again) and dispatched humanely by a pest control expert. A decision we didn't take lightly.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

spookygonk posted:

That previous fox was trapped (he came back a week later to try again) and dispatched humanely by a pest control expert. A decision we didn't take lightly.

That fox could have been the new fox's mate. Where there's one fox, there's usually two. And yeah, a six foot fence is nothing to a fox. They're as good as a cat when it comes to climbing stuff. It's lucky the new fox was spotted before it could grab more of your chickens.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

OK, I've been spending time while snowed in and dealing with sub-freezing temps by cruising hatching egg auctions on ebay. We're not ready to order anything (Bantam blue laced red Wyandottes!!! :swoon:) by a longshot, but some of the pictures people are posting of their chickens are hilarious. Some VERY put upon, confused, posed rooboys out there. :keke:

But this one for Jersey Giants really made me giggle, the camera angle is perfect:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-2-Black-Jersy-Giants-chicken-hatching-eggs-/281050609967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416febf92f

Also, where's his...other leg...? :gonk:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Leiper-Gamefowl-Chicken-Hatching-Eggs-/281051598730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416ffb0f8a

Gangsta style auction title, seemingly normal description that quickly disintegrates to 'gently caress you':
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Bad-Azz-S...=item43b7a0bef8

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 15, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Gangsta style auction title, seemingly normal description that quickly disintegrates to 'gently caress you':

Ahahahahahaaaa! That last auction! It's like the Seller was having a rage attack while typing the description. I'm laughing so hard, but I also understand that Seller's frustration. :D

I give them points for their auction title -- who wouldn't want a "Bad Azz Show Quality Silver Laced Wyandotte"?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

These popped up in my facebook. I know nothing about the chickens or owner.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

That last photo is showing some MAJOR chickspicion! :D

The rubber hen purses are listed on Amazon. White henbag for only $22! http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Chicken-Handbag-Pocketbook-Henbag/dp/B001G8N95I
Brown henbag for $30. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S584EWB70ZB40HX

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Inveigle posted:

That last photo is showing some MAJOR chickspicion! :D

The rubber hen purses are listed on Amazon. White henbag for only $22! http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Chicken-Handbag-Pocketbook-Henbag/dp/B001G8N95I
Brown henbag for $30. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S584EWB70ZB40HX

You all know what must be done!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you get that you have to get the appropriate coin purse.
http://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Chick-Chicken-Wallet-Zipper/dp/B009KSR862/ref=pd_sbs_a_5

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Quoted because this ad will not last as long as the thread:

quote:

These are fresh and fertile. Collected daily . These are from first quality Silver Laced Wyandottes. Show Quality. Very large dosile and greatly marked birds. Great fertility rate. You are buying 8 eggs ..sorry the shipping is higher. It costs me that much to get your eggs to you safely. THESE EGGS ARE PACKED SAFELY AND SECURE AND ARE NOT IN ANY WAY GUARANTEED TO HATCH. ALSO DUE TO THE MANY THINGS THAT CAN HAPPEN BETWEEN MY FARM AND YOUR INCUBATOR, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN, AND I WILL NOT REFUND MONEY OR REPLACE BROKEN OR CRACKED EGGS I ONLY GUARANTEE THAT I HAVE BEEN HATCHING THESE SUCCESSFULLY MYSELF WITH GREAT HATCH RATE. BUYING HATCHING EGGS IS THE COST EFFECTIVE WAY TO OBTAIN NICE POULTRY WITHOUT THE HIGH COST OF LIVE BIRDS. IF YOU WANT A GUARANTEE THEN BUY LIVE BIRDS

Kind of stretching the term "show quality" too.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Did anyone notice those HUGE feet the third picture of the Silver Lace Wyandotte sitting on the roosting bar?

Hyper J
Jul 28, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

Did anyone notice those HUGE feet the third picture of the Silver Lace Wyandotte sitting on the roosting bar?

My 2 roos and the largest of my pullets have feet that large already, they are quite strong and have strong legs too. They are about 10-11 weeks old now.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I'm worried about my leghorn, Flake. Her back is completely bald thanks to Roo, but it's been a few months already, the other hens have finished molting, and Flake has yet to grow any new feathers on her back. The front of her neck is bald too and the top of her wings, and I'm concerned that she doesn't show any indication of new feathers growing. I'm probably gonna modify her saddle to make it tighter on her body, so it protects her from the cold better. Is this normal?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

I'm worried about my leghorn, Flake. Her back is completely bald thanks to Roo, but it's been a few months already, the other hens have finished molting, and Flake has yet to grow any new feathers on her back. The front of her neck is bald too and the top of her wings, and I'm concerned that she doesn't show any indication of new feathers growing. I'm probably gonna modify her saddle to make it tighter on her body, so it protects her from the cold better. Is this normal?

Chido, grab her and check her out. If she isn't growing feathers, it could be that her body is already working hard on something else, like fighting parasites--feel her keel, is she skinny? Comb/wattles pale or shrunken? I recently rewormed a few of my hens who weren't thriving (and I strongly suspected worms) and were skinny, including Rambo, my buff Brahma, who also hadn't regrown feathers caused by over-roostering (everyone else had). It's only been about 10 days so I haven't seen any new feathers yet, but they are all MUCH perkier now.

The front of her neck being bald is odd...is it from the feeder by any chance? Offer her some extra protein tidbits to help her grow feathers, too. You may have to isolate her till she grows the feathers back if she is a Roo favorite...

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Reddit photo of cute hen with her egg that showed up on the front page this morning.

Also from Reddit: amusing photo of chickens dustbathing in a planter. I guess one did it and the others thought it was a great idea.

And an adorble young Frizzled rooster. He started crowing a few months later.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 16, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^ Ahaha, the hens crowding in with the roo to dust bathe. My girls did this with poor Phoenix before we moved...

It seems to be that the hens luuuuv their rooboy so very much that anything he does is A-OK with them! It started with just Phoenix at first, then some hens joined him. Because, you know, THIS dust bathing area MUST be the best, right?

I mean, it's not like there was a dirt shortage in my back yard.

After a while Phoenix started shooting me long-suffering glances...

Final count was 5 hens that crammed in there with him. Fran the buff Frizzle was being a butt, pulling his tail and comb.

He was such a good boy, he didn't care and just put up with it. :keke:

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I've joined your ranks with a trio of what I hope are female Schweizerhühner. (Swiss chicken). They're surprisingly friendly, and I hope I can keep them alive until they lay eggs this spring.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Chido, grab her and check her out. If she isn't growing feathers, it could be that her body is already working hard on something else, like fighting parasites--feel her keel, is she skinny? Comb/wattles pale or shrunken? I recently rewormed a few of my hens who weren't thriving (and I strongly suspected worms) and were skinny, including Rambo, my buff Brahma, who also hadn't regrown feathers caused by over-roostering (everyone else had). It's only been about 10 days so I haven't seen any new feathers yet, but they are all MUCH perkier now.

The front of her neck being bald is odd...is it from the feeder by any chance? Offer her some extra protein tidbits to help her grow feathers, too. You may have to isolate her till she grows the feathers back if she is a Roo favorite...

She doesn't feel skinny, her keel feels pretty much the same, and her comb is still the same size and bright red. Flake has never laid normal eggs, they are really big and the shape isn't exactly the normal one. I ordered EEquimaax today and I'm gonna deworm the flock as soon as I get it. I haven't seen any external parasites on any hen, but what can I use on the coop to make sure it stays parasite free?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Well, for cleaning the coop, I use a portable steamer--bugs can't develop a resistance to heat like they can chemicals. It's safe as long as you are careful not to burn yourself and banish chickens and small children from the immediate vicinity to avoid burning them. No chemicals and it dries really quickly. I use a small Scunci Steamer and pay attention to all the little gaps, cracks and crevices where bugs can hide. Any poop must be cleaned off roosts and other areas, if the steam can't reach the bare wood it likely won't work.

You can also spray on Oxine, a strange little chicken-safe disinfectant chemical that is also great for respiratory infections, more about it here:
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm
IF YOU USE THIS FOLLOW HER DIRECTIONS. It is possible to gently caress up, get the wrong stuff and harm your animals/self.

Diatemaceous Earth or DE (food grade only) is used by some as a PREVENTATIVE measure, but once a bird is infested I'd go with worming them to make sure you kill the parasites as fast and thoroughly as possible. DE has it's pros and cons.

Spraying the coop & birds with Adams Flea and Tick Mist, which is what I use for mite outbreaks. Stinks to high Hell, but works great. I recently saw the Adams mist at Big Lots for MUCH cheaper then I've seen it anywhere else.

Other than that just good coop hygiene, which I'm sure you already practice. :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Armed Neutrality posted:

I've joined your ranks with a trio of what I hope are female Schweizerhühner. (Swiss chicken). They're surprisingly friendly, and I hope I can keep them alive until they lay eggs this spring.

wow, those are beautiful chickens. Are you in the US? I only ask because there are a lot of beautiful/interesting breeds that are not available here! How old are your hens?

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

piscesbobbie posted:

wow, those are beautiful chickens. Are you in the US? I only ask because there are a lot of beautiful/interesting breeds that are not available here! How old are your hens?

I'm in Switzerland. I know of other Swiss breeds, the Appenzeller Spitzhauben and Barthühner for instance, that are available in the U.S, but I don't think the Schweizerhühner are, they're relatively rare. Franky, I'm not the biggest fan of white chickens, but I chose these because they can't fly at all (unlike the Barthühner), they're bred for this region so I don't really have to worry about frostbite and heaters and what not, and they're hybrid chickens, so once they stop laying their 200ish eggs per year, I could, in theory, process and eat them, which I now realize I'll never, ever be able to do. It snowed a shitload today so they seem pretty pissed off and spent the whole day in the coop, but I'll take more pictures soon enough and I'll post them.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hi Armed Neutrality --

Your Schweizerhühners are very pretty! Please take some photos of your angry chickens in the snow! :D

Do you have any roosters? or just hens?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Very pretty chickens, their heads with those brows and serious expressions remind me of Orpingtons. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
The Schweizerhühner are really nice looking birds! I googled the name, to see if they were in the US at all, and since none of the pages were in English, I'm guessing no. Whenever someone from Europe or the UK post about their birds, I get serious chicken envy, since there are so many cool breeds and varieties that just aren't in the US. I know several people who have tried to raise Appenzeller Spitzhauben in the US, and they all found the ones in the US to be very weak and illness prone, probably because the ones in the US are so inbred.